搜索
123下一页
返回列表 发新帖
查看: 4756|回复: 27

[阅读小分队] 【Native Speaker每日综合训练—41系列】【41-08】文史哲

[复制链接]
发表于 2014-9-7 13:38:38 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
内容:枣糕兔 编辑:枣糕兔

Stay tuned for our latest post! Follow us here ---> http://weibo.com/u/3476904471

各位中秋假期还愉快嘛~
抱歉周六的阅读姗姗来迟,这次的话题依然很丰富,最后的 Obstacle 也很有意思。

Enjoy~

Part I: Speaker

Please, please, people. Let's put the 'awe' back in 'awesome'

[Rephrase 1, 06’17]

Source: TED talk
http://www.ted.com/talks/jill_shargaa_please_please_people_let_s_put_the_awe_back_in_awesome

本帖子中包含更多资源

您需要 登录 才可以下载或查看,没有帐号?立即注册

x
 楼主| 发表于 2014-9-7 13:38:39 | 显示全部楼层
Part II: Speed

Source: http://khon2.com/2014/09/05/plane-crashes-off-the-coast-of-jamaica/

Plane crash off Jamaica: What happened?
Les Abend   |   September 6, 2014

[Time 2]
(CNN) -- I peered over the shoulder of the flight engineer and studied the pressurization gauge on his panel. The needle indicated that the cabin was climbing, and the slow popping in my ears confirmed it. Not good. The flight engineer swiveled his seat away from the panel and turned in my direction, brow furrowed, eyes wide.

"Should I tell the captain?" he asked.

The question seemed foolish, but I understood. The flight engineer was brand new, having completed his training with the airline a week earlier. I was a seasoned veteran of six months, observing from the jump seat for the purpose of monitoring co-pilot procedures. I had just upgraded from the flight engineer position to a "window seat" on the 727.

"Yes," I replied with raised eyebrows. "I would tell the captain...like right now."

The captain had already begun to swivel in his seat. He squinted at the array of switches and indications on the panel. A conference with the flight engineer ensued. All four of us in the cockpit focused momentarily on the cabin rate needle. It was still indicating a climb. For some mysterious reason, we were slowly losing cabin pressurization. The captain turned toward me in a silent gesture to obtain confirmation. I nodded.

Without hesitation, he instructed the co-pilot to request an immediate descent to 10,000 feet from our altitude of 37,000 feet. I reached for the oxygen mask and strapped it to my face. The rest of the crew followed my lead. Ten minutes later, and after the completion of the appropriate emergency checklist, we reached 10,000 feet. Our 152 passengers had to endure a lack of air conditioning because of the pressurization problem, but other than that, the experience was a non-event.

This should have been the same outcome for the single-engine Socata TBM 900 turboprop that crashed, tragically, in the waters off Jamaica on Friday.

The TBM 900 had departed Rochester, New York, bound for Naples, Florida, with two occupants on board: Larry Glazer, the pilot/owner and his wife, Jane Glazer. But the pilot became unresponsive while the airplane cruised at 25,000 feet over Georgia.

Instead of landing in Naples, the autopilot system allowed the turboprop to continue flying off the eastern U.S. coastline, crossing over Cuba before, with its fuel supply exhausted, it crashed into the sea about 12 miles north of the Jamaican coastline. Two U.S.-launched F-15s confirmed through observation that the pilot appeared unconscious.
[406 words]

[Time 3]
The French-made TBM 900 is a sophisticated piece of technology, far superior to the old Boeing 727 airliner I described above. It is a great representative of the new generation in privately-owned cabin class airplanes, competing with traditional twin-engine turboprops and even small, corporate jets.

Composite material, finely tuned aeroengineering design, a reliable and proven Pratt and Whitney engine and advanced cockpit displays and controls all combine to make the $3.7 million airplane a respected machine. More than 1,000 of these airplanes are operating today; the 900 is the most recent version.

According to an Aircraft Owners and Pilot Association (AOPA) report, this was the third TBM owned by Larry Glazer; he had logged 5,000 hours in the model. One would think that such experience would have produced a positive result and not a crash into the ocean. What happened exactly?

Hypoxia, lack of oxygen to the brain, would appear to be the most likely culprit. Depending upon the health condition of an individual, the time of useful consciousness at 25,000 feet isn't much more than about a minute. But that's if a depressurization occurs as a catastrophic event with some type of major hole in the fuselage, allowing air to escape explosively.

But in this instance, judging by 30 minutes of Air Traffic Control audio recording, it was not a catastrophic occurrence, but rather a slow event. News reports say the pilot asked to descend to 18,000 feet because "we have an indication that is not correct in the plane," according to a stream of that transmission posted on LiveATC.net.

After about one minute, the airplane was cleared initially from 28,000 feet to 25,000 feet where it eventually remained until fuel exhaustion. While descending, ATC gave further clearance to 20,000 feet but the pilot responded with an unintelligible transmission. It's possible he was already suffering from hypoxia.
[308 words]

[Time 4]
A slow loss of oxygen to the brain is insidious; most people not familiar with the symptoms don't recognize the danger.

A depressurization problem is a traumatic event that it is easily managed -- but only if the problem is recognized. Like the captain of the 727, a pilot facing such a situation would have to don an oxygen mask the minute he suspected the issue. The next objective would be to descend the airplane to a habitable altitude -- 10,000 feet is a typical procedure goal. For this to occur, a sense of urgency has to be stated or an emergency declared.

Apparently, none of this happened.

At the airline level, we train for such a depressurization event from day one. It is an emergency that is etched into our muscle memory. I am certain this emergency was part of the training for this particular TBM pilot. Whether it was part of his muscle memory, we can't know.

The airplane is equipped with an emergency oxygen bottle attached to quick-donning masks for just such circumstances. It is possible that the system may have malfunctioned. Perhaps a closed valve not noticed on the preflight inspection? An undetected leak? Or maybe the system that had been causing the malfunction released the cabin pressurization in one final event.

Regardless, if indeed a pressurization malfunction had been observed, the prudent decision would have been to descend immediately and head off a tragedy.

Sad as this outcome was, we can be thankful for small favors. The airplane's sophisticated automation system steered it away from populated areas and a tragedy of even greater proportions.
[269 words]

Source: CNN Opinion
http://edition.cnn.com/2014/09/06/opinion/abend-jamaica-crash/index.html?hpt=op_t1

My cancer is worse than your cancer?
Geraldine Moriba   |   September 5, 2014

[Time 5]
(CNN) -- I remember the day I rang the bell. When you finish radiation treatment at MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, there's a bell in the waiting room that you ring three times, and when you do, the entire room erupts with applause. I remember the immediate rush when it was my turn. I felt the euphoric joy of having survived.

It's an elation that comes along with being alive and knowing that you've made it past chemotherapy, radiation and surgery, with clean margins. I felt deep gratitude for my medical caregivers, my generous friends and my family, especially my family.

That was nine years ago. But still, even now, I have unanswered questions about the disease that almost cut my life short.

At age 38, I was given six months to live. I had sarcoma, a rare cancer that can occur in bone or soft tissue, with no known cause and no cure. My lingering questions about sarcoma fuels my motivation to produce "Until 20," a documentary that follows James Ragan's quest to live his few remaining days of life fully.

When I met James he was about to turn 20. We had both won the sarcoma cancer lottery. My 4-inch tumor was found growing along the radial nerve in my right arm. James' tumor was found in the femur in his right leg. The five-year survival rate for this disease is frighteningly low. According to the National Cancer Institute, the five-year survival rate is about 66%.

For me, after getting to know James the mystery of why I survived and many people do not triggered "survivor's guilt." This is the guilt that can occur when someone survives a traumatic event that others do not, such as accidents, war, natural disasters and even illnesses like cancer. Guilt is a complicated emotion. My cancer fight lasted a year and a half, and now, as far as my doctors know, there no active tumor cells in my body.

I survived. James didn't. After repeated recurrences and seven major surgeries since his diagnosis at age 13, he died in February. We were fortunate enough that James chose to share the final year of his life with us.
[366 words]

[Time 6]
James said, "It's all about perspective. I'm constantly told that's what I provide people when they hear my story. I'm told that I give them new perspective on their life."

Like James, I prefer to ask "now that I been marked by this disease, what can I do to make a difference?" I had cancer. I was lucky. Now I look ahead.

"Until 20" is James' story. He should be an inspiration, not just for patients facing incurable diseases, and be seen as someone who encouraged adults and young people to make meaningful, values-based choices with their time and their lives.

This documentary chronicles James' life after diagnosis, as he grows from a young athlete blindsided by disease into a passionate and caring young man. James shows us that you don't have to live a long life to make a difference.

Sarcoma tumors develop in healthy people with no apparent risk factors. There's little incentive for pharmaceutical companies to find a cure for sarcoma. One percent of all adult cancers in America are sarcoma, and 15% of all childhood cancers are sarcoma. With so few cases, there's little money to be made from research.

I have no patience with "my cancer is worse than your cancer" conversations. Cancer is not a competition. Cancer causes us all pain, and having a rare cancer is exponentially devastating, because there is so little research being done. The only remedy is banding together to create awareness and pushing for research funding.

According to Dr. Ara Vaporciyan at MD Anderson, "one option would be to put in place some rules or some laws that protect drug companies to allow them to invest research dollars. And in some sort of tax reform or some way to encourage them to invest here, to make it worth their while to invest here."

Why do we wait for a disease to teach us about living well and having compassion for others? James changed my life. In his deliberate quest to live a life worth living, he reminded me to live as though my days are numbered and to make every day count. You just need grit, passion and focused purpose. Humor helps, too.

I have to believe that one of the most effective ways to move beyond survivor's guilt is to find purpose in my experience. I've learned lessons I couldn't have learned any other way. What seemed to be my premature death sentence has also become my good fortune. James gave me renewed perspective.

"Am I sad about everything I am going to miss out on in life? Absolutely," said James. "But I am at peace. I've lived a pretty incredible 20 years."
[445 words]

Source: CNN Opinion
http://edition.cnn.com/2014/09/05/opinion/moriba-my-cancer-your-cancer/index.html?iid=article_sidebar

本帖子中包含更多资源

x
 楼主| 发表于 2014-9-7 13:38:40 | 显示全部楼层
Part III: Obstacle

The Criminal Court Audience In A Post-trial World
——Protecting public oversight of the criminal justice system
Jocelyn Simonson   |   Jun 20, 2014

This article is the introduction of J. Simonson's thesis on criminal law and justice system. You can read the thesis in its whole from the link down below at the end of this page.

[Paraphrase 7]
The Sixth Amendment provides for twin engines of public accountability for the prosecution of crimes: the right to a jury trial and the right to a public trial. These two constitutional mechanisms — the jury and the audience — assure both defendants and communities that every prosecution will take place in full view and with the participation of the public. Today, a criminal jury trial is a rare phenomenon. Criminal court audiences, in contrast, are everywhere. On any given weekday across America, throngs of people attempt to gain access to local courtrooms to watch the cases in which their friends, family, and community members have been either victimized or accused of a crime. While audience members sit waiting for the one case they are there to see, they also view other short appearances — pleas, sentencings, case conferences, and adjournments — that together make up criminal adjudication in the world of plea bargaining. These audience members often constitute the only representatives of the public observing the criminal justice system in action. This reality makes the audience more important than it has been in centuries past. Instead of serving as a complement to the jury system, the audience is the public representation in the criminal courtroom.

Many scholars lament the lack of public participation in American criminal justice today, especially in state courtrooms adjudicating low-level cases: now that the vast majority of criminal cases end in guilty pleas rather than in jury trials, the public has minimal input into and receives little information about the behind-the-scenes decisions and negotiations that lead to these plea bargains. However, scholarly analyses of the criminal justice system generally overlook the constitutional function of the audience, concentrating instead on the lost role of the jury as the representative of the public. As a result, these scholars’ suggestions for reform often focus either on creative ways to increase the role of juries in courtroom proceedings or on building new community justice institutions outside of the courtroom that promotelocal participation in discretionary decisionmaking.

This single-minded focus on the jury as a constitutional fix inside the courtroom is a mistake. For the criminal court audience is not just normatively important; it is constitutionally important. The criminal court audience is protected by both the defendant’s right to a public trial under the Sixth Amendment and the public’s right to access criminal proceedings — the “freedom to listen” — under the First Amendment. As a result, the audience can and should be a central constitutional mechanism for popular accountability in modern criminal justice. This Article demonstrates that the Sixth and First Amendment rights together protect the ability of community members sitting in local courtrooms to promote fairness and accountability in the post-trial world.

This Article’s doctrinal claim is that the protections of the Sixth and First Amendment rights to a public trial extend with full force into the nontrial criminal courtroom. The seed of this claim is the nascent expansion of the Sixth Amendment right, which has recently begun to follow a path that initially appeared in First Amendment jurisprudence, extending its reach in a small number of cases into courtrooms in which pleas and sentencings, rather than trials, are taking place. Echoing throughout Sixth and First Amendment jurisprudence in both the trial and nontrial contexts is the idea that the function of the public in the criminal courtroom goes beyond the protection of individuals to implicate the ability of citizens to participate in democracy and to hold the criminal justice system accountable. In effect, today the Sixth and First Amendments together create a right to a public criminal adjudication, one that recognizes and protects the constitutional power of the local audience in the criminal courtroom. The constitutional values underlying these rights support this Article’s normative claim: that promoting the inclusion of the audience is more important than ever in the post-trial world, in which audiences are drawn from poor communities and communities of color that are disproportionately affected by, but have little input into, local criminal justice policies.

The right to a public criminal adjudication has profound implications for routine criminal justice today. To be a member of an audience is itself a form of public participation, for there is power in the act of observation: audiences affect the behavior of government actors inside the courtroom, helping to define the proceedings through their presence. Once the audience leaves the courtroom, the experience of observation then serves a host of functions connected to democracy: it furthers public discourse, checks the government through democratic channels, and promotes government legitimacy. As Professors Judith Resnik and Dennis Curtis have demonstrated powerfully in their recent work on courthouses, these are longstanding historical functions of the audience in public adjudication. Observation can only be powerful, however, when there is something substantive to observe.

Rather than welcoming the public into courthouses, court administrators around the country often exclude audiences from nontribal courtrooms, either because state courthouses are too crowded to accommodate all community members in attendance, or because of more pointed policies under which officials forbid members of the public from entering nontrial courtrooms or deliberately conduct proceedings at volume levels inaudible to the audience. On top of these tangible forms of exclusion, nontrial proceedings themselves are often rushed and routinized, blocking the audience members in attendance from understanding what is being said in front of them.19 When court officials exclude the audience from attending or listening in the courtroom, their actions underscore the relative political powerlessness of residents of neighborhoods most affected by local criminal justice policies. Truly recognizing and enforcing the constitutional protection of the audience will therefore require local criminal courts to grapple with issues of public exclusion from the courtroom, including the implicit exclusion that occurs when the bulk of plea bargaining happens out of view and earshot of the audience. In order to be effective, this grappling must happen not only on a case-by-case basis, but also through local administrative and policy efforts to increase the accessibility of routine criminal justice.

Part I of this Article lays out its conceptual backbone, distinguishing between the two constitutional representatives of the public in the criminal courtroom: the jury and the audience. This Part outlines both the promise and the crisis of the criminal court audience today: the promise of the audience to promote fairness and accountability in criminal justice, and the roadblocks to fulfilling this promise set up by courthouses across the country. Parts II and III then present a novel account of the constitutional importance of the audience in the nontribal courtroom. Part II argues that the foundational Supreme Court cases establishing the parameters of both the Sixth and First Amendment rights to a public trial depend on the same core normative concepts: the democratic importance of the local audience and the audience’s ability to promote fairness and accountability in criminal justice. Part III then identifies and analyzes the recent extension of these rights into the world of plea bargaining, laying out the scope and parameters of both the Sixth and First Amendment rights in criminal courtrooms hearing nontrial matters. Part IV considers the implications for today’s criminal court audience of the constitutional rules and values underpinning the rights to a public trial. The robust enforcement of open courtrooms in nontrial proceedings, including those seen as routine or mundane, presents an opportunity to link a generally disempowered population to mechanisms of government accountability and social change.
[1227 words]

Source: Harvard Law Review
http://harvardlawreview.org/2014/06/the-criminal-court-audience-in-a-post-trial-world/

本帖子中包含更多资源

x
发表于 2014-9-7 14:24:41 | 显示全部楼层
THX 枣糕兔~
----------------
speaker:
wrong usage of awesome
several instances of right use of awesome
eg. Internet
the speech is full of passion

time7:
jury&audience, how work
significance of audience->participation
exclude, no, increase accessibility
outline
发表于 2014-9-7 16:41:13 | 显示全部楼层
Speakers: people always use awesome in not awesome situation, and we should use awesome correct.
[time 2]2’14
    describe what happened at that day.
[time3] 1’49
    some information about the plane, and about unusual situation.
[time4] 1’43
     describe about real situation
[time5] 2’01
    story about a person who suffer cancer, and survive.
[time6] 3’02
     come to realize a person’s life after survive.
[obstacle] 9’39
    introduction about two constitutional mechanisms, including details.
发表于 2014-9-7 20:06:48 | 显示全部楼层
掌管 6        00:08:57.47        00:22:08.05
掌管 5        00:02:53.35        00:13:10.58
掌管 4        00:03:13.71        00:10:17.22
掌管 3        00:01:49.39        00:07:03.51
掌管 2        00:02:00.83        00:05:14.11
掌管 1        00:03:13.28        00:03:13.28

越障没怎么看明白@@
发表于 2014-9-7 23:50:29 | 显示全部楼层
Speaker
Ten things that are truly "awesome".

[Time 2] 3'11
An emergency forced the pilot to descend to 10000 ft.

[Time 3] 2'35
The reason of the accident

[Time 4] 1'44
When facing depressurization, polits should put on oxygen mask immediately and decend to 10000ft. And they need to train their muscle memory.

[Time 5] 2'26
The author survived while his friend James who was also a patient of the cancer didn't. And he was aware of a sense of survivors' guilt.

[Time 6] 2'52
James's story encouraged the author and changed his perspective that people don't need to live a long life to make a difference.

Obstacle
Introduction of the two constitional mechanisms-jury and audience
The mistaken wiew of jury and audience
Content of J. Simonson's thesis
发表于 2014-9-8 09:38:12 | 显示全部楼层
2‘52
2’01
1‘33
2’17
2‘25
8’00
讲了两种什么机制,与国外庭审有关,一种强调法庭,一种强调public。。。还是好多单词不认识~~~
求问大侠,不认识的单词,是要一个字一个字的都查一下嘛?
PS:中秋快乐啊大家
发表于 2014-9-8 09:41:57 | 显示全部楼层
lindalizi 发表于 2014-9-7 15:17
内容很棒~谢谢枣糕兔  中秋快乐

Happy Mid-autumn Day!
Good article deserves thorough reading~
发表于 2014-9-8 10:17:24 | 显示全部楼层
1 A 02:40
2 A 02:05
3 A 01:37
4 A 02:21
5 A 02:10
6 A 07:12
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-3-29 13:28
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部