[阅读小分队] 【Native Speaker每日综合训练—41系列】【41-07】经管

[复制链接]
发表于 2014-9-5 23:13:56 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
内容:ZXPPX 编辑:ZXPPX

Stay tuned to our latest post! Follow us here---> http://weibo.com/u/3476904471

Part I: Speaker

For $15-An-Hour Pay

Source: NPR
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2014/09/04/345825903/across-the-country-fast-food-workers-rally-for-15-an-hour-pay

[Rephrase 1, 2:17]

本帖子中包含更多资源

您需要 登录 才可以下载或查看,没有帐号?立即注册

x
 楼主| 发表于 2014-9-5 23:13:57 | 显示全部楼层
Part II: Speed

US Employers Add 142K Jobs, Fewest in 8 Months
BY Christopher S. Rugaber  | 5 September 2014

[Time 2]

(WASHINGTON) — U.S. employers added just 142,000 jobs in August, snapping a six-month streak of hiring above 200,000 and posting the smallest gain in eight months.
The Labor Department says the unemployment rate fell to 6.1 percent from 6.2 percent. But the rate dropped because fewer people were working or seeking jobs.
Employers also added 28,000 fewer jobs in June and July than the government had previously estimated.
August’s job gains were far below the average monthly increase of 212,000 in the past 12 months. The slowdown was unexpected after most recent economic data suggested that the economy is growing at a healthy pace.
Still, wage gains have been sluggish since the Great Recession ended in 2009, and consumers remain cautious. Consumer spending dipped in July, the first decline since January.

[130 words]
Source: newswatch
http://time.com/business/

Job growth slows; Gap tanks; Microsoft unveils 'selfie cam'
BY Yahoo Finance | 5 September 2014

[Time 3]

Job growth slowed significantly in August, according to the Labor Department’s latest employment report released Friday morning. 142,000 jobs were created last month. That is well below the average estimate of 230,000 economists were expecting.
The unemployment rate ticked down to 6.1%, in line with expectations. The government also revised the number of jobs added in June and July. June job creation was revised down to 267,000 from 298,000. July was revised slightly higher to 212,000 from 209,000.
Wage growth improved with average hourly wages ticking up 0.2% to $24.53. In the past year, average wages are up just 2.1%
However, a new report from the Federal Reserve reveals that the income gap widened between 2010 and 2013. The top 10% of earners were the only group to see an increase in median income, up 2% to $223,000. Meanwhile, the middle 20% saw incomes fall 6% to $48,700.
Fed Chair Janet Yellen has acknowledged the widening income gap, but also said there's little the Fed can do about the underlying factors.

[171 words]

[Time 4]

Stocks to watch

Investors are going crazy for shares of El Pollo Loco (LOCO) after the restaurant chain reported revenue beat estimates, rising 6% from a year ago. Strong sales helped earnings match expectations. The California-based food chain also plans to open more than a dozen new stores before the end of the year.
A pair of clothing retailers were under pressure in pre-market trading. Michael Kors (KORS) was lower after the company's founding investors, Hong Kong private equity firm Sportswear Holdings said it is set to sell its remaining 5.7% stake in Kors in a secondary offering. Silas Chou and Lawrence Stroll, who control Sportswear Holdings will sell their remaining stakes in the luxury retailer and will resign from the company's board. The Financial Times reports that the billionaire investors have been slowly selling their shares in Michael Kors since the IPO.
Elsewhere in the retail space, Gap (GPS) reported a bigger-than-expected decline in same-store sales in August due to weak demand in its namesake and Banana Republic stores. However, its low-priced Old Navy chain posted a 2% rise in same-stores sales last month.
And Apple (AAPL) has announced new security measures for iCloud customers after celebrity accounts were hacked. The new procedures will include email alerts if an account password is changed and a two-step verification process which will send a code to a user's phone when a password is entered, according to an interview Apple CEO Tim Cook gave to the Wall Street Journal.
Apple has had a tough week, with shares taking a hit on news of the hacking, and new competition ahead of next week's announcement on new products. Samsung introduced its new smartphones to positive reviews. Motorola introduced a smart watch and Microsoft (MSFT) has just unveiled its new “selfie phone,” the Lumia 730.

[300 words]
Source: finance.yahoo
http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/hot-stock-minute/jobs-report--gap-tanks--microsoft-unveils--selfie-cam-120230004.html

10 Social Media Blunders That Cost a Millennial a Job — or Worse
BY Susie Poppick | 5 September, 2014

[Time 5]

A generation that lives its life on Facebook and Twitter learns the hard way that the bar for what can get you fired is surprisingly low.

Tweet Yourself to a New Job
As managers grow savvier (and Facebook privacy settings grow meaningless) it is increasingly foolish to assume that those years-old photos of you double-fisting shots won’t come back to haunt you—and maybe even wreak havoc on your career. A whopping 73% of recruiters check out social media profiles of prospective hires.
“Social media is now so woven into the fabric of young people’s lives that they forget not everything is suitable to put out there,” says former hiring manager Alison Green, who runs askamanager.org. “People are looking.”
So remember your boss, work colleagues, and hiring managers can see your most polarizing tweets, even if they aren’t following you. And even if your public Facebook profile looks like Fort Knox, anyone can see images you’re tagged in by using graph search. Typing “photos of person’s name” into the search window reveals hidden pictures. Test it out to see how creepy it is.
Also note that a social media mistake can ruin your shot at a job without you ever knowing. Green, for example, never told a certain oversharing applicant (let’s call him the “masturblogger”: see #2 below) about why he wasn’t hired for a job at her nonprofit. “To people who don’t lock down their accounts because ‘it’s never been a problem,’ I say, you don’t know whether that’s true,” she says.
If you’re not at least a little worried yet, here are 10 real-life mistakes, ranked from least to most egregious, that could cost you your next job—or worse, make you the next viral cautionary tale.

10. Drinking in a photo—even if you’re over 21. Yes, seriously. A teacher in Georgia was asked to resign because of a Facebook photo of her holding wine and a beer.
9. Complaining about your job. A British teen was let go from a marketing gig after colleagues saw a Facebook post in which she described her job shredding paper as “dull,” even though she didn’t mention the name of the company.
8. Posting while you’re supposed to be working. A city clerk in California’s Bay area was asked to resign this year for allegedly tweeting during council meetings when she was supposed to be taking down meeting minutes. In her resignation letter, she described the job as a “mind-numbingly inane experience I would not wish on anyone.”

[420 words]

[Time 6]

7. Making fun of your boss / team. An EMS employee was booted for badmouthing her boss on Facebook (though she ended up with the National Labor Relations Board on her side), and a Pittsburgh Pirates mascot, whose work included racing on the field in a pierogi costume, was briefly fired for a post criticizing the contract extensions of two players—though he was back in his costume a week later.
6. Making fun of clients or donors. While working at a nonprofit, Green nearly fired an employee after the young woman snarkily tweeted a photo of a donation card on which a donor had written eccentric comments. Not only was it in bad taste, says Green, but it revealed the donor’s name. After deleting the tweet (and getting an earful about judgment and boundaries), the woman kept her job.
5. Talking smack about a job before you’ve even accepted it. Technically, the then-22-year-old in question says she had already turned down an internship at Cisco before sending out a tweet saying she’d have to weigh a “fatty paycheck” against “hating the work,” but her subsequent infamy serves as a lesson to other prospective hires.
4. Blowing your own cover. A bank intern who asked to skip work because “something came up at home” became a victim of internet shaming after his boss saw a Facebook photo of him holding a beer, dressed (more or less) like Tinkerbell at what appeared to be a Halloween party. The photo, plus screenshots of his supervisor’s response— “hope everything is ok in New York. (cool wand)” —went viral, though it turns out he was never actually fired.
3. Revealing company secrets. Back in 2011, it was widely reported that an extra on Fox’s award-winning show “Glee” was fired after tweeting spoilers for an upcoming episode. In tweets that are still visible on his feed, a series co-creator told her, “Hope you’re qualified to do something besides work in entertainment” and “Who are you to spoil something talented people have spent months to create?” But according to the extra herself, Nicole Crowther, she hadn’t actually worked on the show that season and the spoilers were just speculation—not inside information. That didn’t stop her story from going viral, complete with online harassment: “I received physical threats of violence, and death threats through social media,” Crowther told MONEY.
2. Sexual oversharing. Green once interviewed a young man whose resume included a link to a private blog—which described personal details about chronic masturbation. “I suspect he’d left that link on there by accident, but it demonstrated very poor judgment,” says Green. Needless to say, he did not get the job.
1. Posting something embarrassing on the corporate Twitter feed. A contracted social media strategist was canned after accidentally posting a tweet on Chrysler’s company feed, instead of his personal feed, insulting local drivers: “I find it ironic that Detroit is known as the #motorcity and yet no one here knows how to f****** drive.” Given the circumstances, Chrysler’s response was surprisingly sanguine.

[507 words]
Source: time
http://time.com/money/3019899/10-facebook-twitter-mistakes-lost-job-millennials-viral/
 楼主| 发表于 2014-9-5 23:13:58 | 显示全部楼层
Part III: Obstacle

FranchisePlayers: After 9/11, This Franchisee Sold Everything to Reboot His CareerBY KateTaylor | 5 September, 2014

[Paraphrase 7]

Franchise Players is Entrepreneur’s Q&A interviewcolumn that puts the spotlight on franchisees. If you're a franchisee withadvice and tips to share, email ktaylor@entrepreneur.com.

For Andrew Slattery, the terrorist attacks on September11, 2001, were a wakeup call. At the time, Slattery was a salesman for aplastics company and was traveling often. It took him days to get home to hisfamily after the attacks, and it was then that he decided it was time to takehis career into his own hands.

Slattery – who had no previous experience in theautomotive industry – decided to become a Valvoline Instant Oil Changefranchisee. Today, he owns 28 locations, and plans to keep on growing.

Name: AndrewSlattery

Franchise owned:
I own 28 locations of a Valvoline Instant Oil Changefranchise between North and South Carolina. My centers are located in citiessuch as Charlotte, Raleigh, Ashville, Wilmington, Winston Salem, and Greenville–Spartanburg.

How long have you owned a franchise?
I purchased my first Valvoline Instant Oil Change 12years ago. It was an established location but the owner had passed away. Imoved across the country from California to North Carolina to purchase thebusiness from his widow.

Related: Franchise Players: These Panera BreadFranchisees Now Have 34 Locations

Why franchising?
Since I had no previous experience owning a business, Idecided buying a franchise was the smartest thing to do. By aligning myselfwith a company such as Valvoline Instant Oil Change, I was able to get theguidance I needed. I was never left to solve problems on my own. I was alwaysable to depend on corporate for franchisee support. Valvoline Instant OilChange is rare in that regard.

What were you doing before you became a franchise owner?
I am a former salesman for a plastics company based inCalifornia. The terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001, were a wakeup call forme. My sales job required me to travel. As I struggled to get home to my familyin the days following the attacks, I realized I needed to take my fate andfortune into my own hands. It was then I started looking into franchising andwhat ultimately led me to buy into Valvoline Instant Oil Change.

Why did you choose this particular franchise?
I really wanted to find something with a good trackrecord and with a good outlook for the future. I researched various franchiseopportunities online and kept coming back to Valvoline Instant Oil Change.
You might think my interest in the company was connectedto some deep seeded passion for cars. It wasn’t. I even blew the motor in myfirst car because I didn’t know I had to check or change the oil. I didn’t knowa thing about cars at first. What I do know is a good business model when I seeone – and I saw that in Valvoline Instant Oil Change.

How much would you estimate you spent before you wereofficially open for business?
It really depends on the scope of your initial investmentand your market.  Valvoline Instant OilChange required me to have around $300,000 liquid assets to become afranchisee. I purchased the business for $180,000. I paid a $30,000 franchisefee to Valvoline Instant Oil Change.

Where did you get most of your advice/do most of yourresearch?
I did my research about franchising on the internet. OnceI zeroed in on Valvoline Instant Oil Change, I picked up the phone and calledthe franchising division. I didn’t have an appointment. It was a spur of themoment call. The franchising team took my call seriously and answered all myquestions. I followed that phone call up with a trip to Lexington, Kentucky tothe company headquarters. The visit solidified my interest in the franchise.
Related: Franchise Players: How Six-Time UkrainianBallroom Dance Champs Became Fred Astaire Dance Studio Franchisees

What were the most unexpected challenges of opening yourfranchise?
I don’t think I understood the hours one needs to putinto a new business to make it successful. There is also a lot of paperwork involved,whether paying bills or filling out tax forms. It can be overwhelming at first.Luckily, with the support from corporate and my fellow Valvoline Instant OilChange franchisees, I was able to overcome the challenges.

What advice do you have for individuals who want to owntheir own franchise?
Research the franchise well, no matter how big or small.Make sure you get an attorney to do due diligence on the property and thelease. Make sure you have a clear title. Once you buy in, follow the system infront of you. The Valvoline Instant Oil Change franchising model is tried andtrue. Follow the guidelines, the programs, the training and the classes. It isa full program. If you follow everything, you can be very successful.

What’s next for you and your business?
What’s next? Growth. I just completed the purchase of twoexisting quick lube stores and converted them into Valvoline Instant Oil Changecenters. I am working on a new build right now, which will be my 29th location.I hope to open the garage doors in October.
All this upward movement will allow me to add some morejobs. I’m also planning on hiring more people on the support and operationsside.

[894words]
Source: entrepreneur
http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/236982
发表于 2014-9-6 06:26:29 | 显示全部楼层
SPEED
time 2 - 00: 01: 10
没有太理解文章。。只知道是 jobs added in August is lower than before
每次看到百分比之类的就晕,其实很好理解,就是阅读的时候总是被干扰了(会不会也是因为我数学差)
生词:snapping, sluggish
知道snap,变成snapping居然没认出来,,Ծ‸Ծ,,
sluggish: slow-moving or inactive

time 3 - 00: 01: 20
果然到百分比就开始凌乱了。。只有一个模糊的感觉
paragraph 1, job added in august is lower than expected
paragraph 2, revised job added in june down, and revised job added in july up
paragraph 3, changes and affects  in different income level (这一段的重点应该是income gap widened吧,我只注意到后面的explain了)
paragraph 4, 力不从心 (应该是fed对widening income gap力不从心)
生词: tick up
tick up: a small increase

time 4 - 00: 01: 54
哦~没有理解,╮(╯▽╰)╭感觉全文都在讲不同公司有哪些变动,但是又不知道具体是什么
发现自己阅读中遇到公司名也会凌乱,这是说明我思维结构不好嘛?
有个问题,看了一下原文才反应过来原来stock to watch和上面是一个文章,这个部分只是想说需要注意那些stock吗(因为他们都有变动)?

time 5 - 00: 01: 56
≖‿≖✧这个部分看懂了,哇咔咔
警告童鞋们妥善使用社交网络,不要以为老板公司不会去看你的空间哟,小心丢掉工作。。
还列出了10个ranked mistakes
10. drinking in a photo
9. complain job
8. posting while working
生词:savvier, haunt, wreak, havoc, egregious, gig, mind-numbingly, inane
savvier: shrewd and knowledgable in the realities of life (查一个词发现解释中的词又不认识,shrewd: having sharp power of judgement)
haunt: be persistently and disturbingly present in (something)
wreak: cause (a large amount of damage or harm)
havoc: widespread destruction
egregious: outstanding bad
gig: a job, especially one that is temporary or that has an uncertain future
mind-numbingly: mind-numbing (adj.), so extreme or intense as to prevent normal thought
inane: silly, stupid. 所以mind-numbingly inane就是说巨傻逼的意思吧,都阻碍了正常思想了。。

time 6 - 00: 03: 35
我是觉得第二条那个young man也真是醉了
有好些词不认识
生词:snarkily, eccentric, smack about, infamy, insult, sanguine
snarkily: 童鞋们帮我解释一下吧,没查到这个词
eccentric: slightly strange
smack about在这里怎么理解
infamy: the state of being well known for some bad quality
insult: speak to or treat with disrespect
sanguine: optimistic

OBSTACLE
00: 05: 06
很好理解,这种Q&A的阅读个人认为很好懂,因为思路非常清晰
生词:due diligence
刚开始把这两个词分开看了
due diligence: (LAW), reasonable steps taken by a person in order to satisfy a legal requirement
发表于 2014-9-6 07:32:59 | 显示全部楼层
Time2 1'11''
Employers offered 142k jobs,fewest in 8 months.
The unemployment fall since fewer people seek jobs.

TIme3 0'52''
Time4 1'49''
Some data about job market:
fewer job vacants offered by employers/ lightly increased avg income/ widened income gap
Some investors sell their shares slowly since they wait and see the IPO
Microsoft unveiled its new “selfie phone" to compete with Apple.inc and Sumsung inc.

Time5+ TIme6 2'28''
10 mistakes committed in social media will ruin your job,since employers will know your lifestyle,which influence their judges on you

Obstacle: 2'54''
A businessman talked about his experience as a successful franchisee after the 911  attack

发表于 2014-9-6 09:13:53 | 显示全部楼层
谢谢ppx~~
-------------
speaker:
fast food workers are mainly adults who need to earn money for their children
the pay is low now
at least a living wage

time7:
own business without experience
buy franchise
reason, which, how
challenges of opening franchise
next plan
发表于 2014-9-6 09:24:17 | 显示全部楼层
Thank you, ppx~~~~~~~~~~~~`
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
speed:
0'53
0'43
1'20
1'50
2'11

obstacle
3'47
因为经历911想这自己掌握生活--franchisee
Qs about franchisee
发表于 2014-9-6 09:27:40 | 显示全部楼层
Time2 130words 1min21
August, employers provide fewest jobs and post fewest gains within eight months. These data are unexpected.

Time3 171words 1min27
Data show: new jobs↓, unemployment rate↓, wage growth↑, income gap↑

Time4 300words 2min53
Stocks: kors:sell, gap:rise, apple:down, samung:positive
These stock prices can quickly reflect the information

Time5 420words 3min51
Recruiters can check the employees’ social media, if someone’s photo or words are inappropriate, he or she will be laid off.

Time6 507words 5min07
Stories about ppl who reveal info on social media may lose or affect job.
发表于 2014-9-6 11:32:27 | 显示全部楼层
Speaker: wage change in fast food restaurant.
Time2: 00’56 unemployment rate in US.
Time3:1’28 Job change in August,June, and July. Wages also change during these time.
Time4:1’59 stock change in different enterprise.
Time5:2’47 introduction about relationship between social network and personal job.
Time6: 3’36 give details in each terms that people should mention when they look for job or do a job
Obstacle:5’23 an interview of Franchise players who franchising a oil company. He move from California to Carolina, and he used to be a salesman.
发表于 2014-9-6 15:01:28 | 显示全部楼层
thanks~占座 grase the logical of the article

41-07
Time2 many new jobs created during the past 12 months and unemployment rate . August's job gain were far blew the average jobs gain in the past 12 months and consumers are still caution
Time3  
Job gain glows slowly in august. Average salary is increasing but the income gap widen during the past two years, the media salary increase only in the top 10% and middle class salary declined to ...
Time4
Restaurant 's profit match the expectation
In Clothing and bag market were under pressure
Apple 's stock declined after the hit of news of hacking and new competitors
Time5
Ur status and the pics on Facebook and the content u t will influence ur career cuz more than 70% recruiters will check ur Facebook pics
Time6
Do not write blog on Facebook which make fun of boss or clients, do not over sharing the private life and expose the company secrets
Obstacle
A interview with a successful instant oil change center owner A
He was a plastic salesman before , after the attack of 911,he decided to change a job and be the master of his own life.
Then several questions about why he choose to be franchise? The investment of that business,the valuable experience,and the next step of him
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-3-29 08:33
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部