12345下一页
返回列表 发新帖
查看: 6121|回复: 49

[阅读小分队] 【Native Speaker每日综合训练—41系列】【41-02】文史哲

[复制链接]
发表于 2014-8-31 09:23:11 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
内容:枣糕兔 编辑:枣糕兔

公益申请名额,每月一名

Stay tuned for our latest post! Follow us here ---> http://weibo.com/u/3476904471

Today's topics are all very interesting, and I'm sorry for the delay on Saturday's post.
Hope you all enjoy.

Part I: Speaker

Types of Vandalism

Jim: Did you hear what happened to the Romeros?
Helene: No, what?
Jim: They went on vacation for a week and vandals broke a couple of windows in the back of their house and tagged their living room walls with graffiti.
Helene: That’s terrible! There are always punks who like to egg houses in this neighborhood for fun, but this is much more serious.
Jim: I think things are getting out of hand. Every week or two, we hear of incidents of people having their tires slashed or their cars keyed.
Helene: And the Jamisons had their flowerbeds trampled and a small fire set on their lawn three weeks ago. This neighborhood is really going downhill.
Jim: What should we do about it?
Helene: What do you mean?
Jim: I think we should start patrolling the streets at night.
Helene: You mean organize a neighborhood watch? Wouldn’t that be dangerous?
Jim: If you’re worried, when you see something suspicious, call the police.
Helene: And you think they’ll come in time to catch them? The police aren’t known for quick response times in this neighborhood.
Jim: Then we’ll go after them ourselves.
Helene: You mean be vigilantes? I’m not sure that would be wise.
Jim: Why not? If Clint Eastwood can do it, so can I. Go ahead, punk, make my day!

Source: ESLpod
http://www.eslpod.com/website/show_podcast.php?issue_id=15590826#

[Rephrase 1, 20’27]

本帖子中包含更多资源

您需要 登录 才可以下载或查看,没有帐号?立即注册

x
 楼主| 发表于 2014-8-31 09:23:12 | 显示全部楼层
Part II: Speed

Tech industry needs this secret weapon
Jeff Yang   |   August 27, 2014

[Time 2]
(CNN) -- A few decades ago, I remember grousing to a college friend that as an Asian American male, everyone I met assumed I was studying some kind of science or engineering -- as if the idea that I might want to pursue a career in the arts, humanities or communications was ridiculous. My friend responded that as a 6-foot-7 African American pre-med student, he would be ecstatic for someone to actually believe he had an interest in a STEM field, as opposed to, say, basketball. Back then, we laughed off the exchange as a sign of how the stereotype grass is always greener on the other side.

Well, the fact is, stereotypes aren't quite lies; they're more like distorted versions of the truth. And the diversity statistics that the tech world's biggest firms have been shamed into releasing this year have been revealing: the numbers show that there are a heckuva lot of Asians working in America's technology industry...and very few African Americans and Latinos.

According to the reports, more than four out of every 10 engineering staff in these tech companies are Asian. That includes 23% of Apple's programmers and engineers, 34% of Google's and Twitter's, 41% of Facebook's and a staggering 57% and 60% of Yahoo's and LinkedIn's respectively.

By contrast -- stark, painful contrast -- around 4% of employees at these companies altogether is Hispanic and only about 3% are black. In both cases, Apple is pulling up the numbers; without the fruit company's 7% Hispanic and 6% black engineering team, the numbers would plummet.

This is just embarrassing. To their credit, the tech companies understand this. Each of them revealed their numbers with sheepish blog posts that asserted the need to "do better" in recruiting black and Hispanic technologists.
[294 words]

[Time 3]
But these same posts have failed to celebrate (or even address) what would appear to be a singular diversity highlight: The very large percentages of Asians in the engineering workforce.

Maybe that's because these statistics aren't exactly what they seem. The numbers released for Asian engineers have lumped U.S. citizens and permanent residents together with foreign nationals working on temporary H-1B visas; over 40% of H-1B visa holders are Asian (India alone accounts for 25%), most of them employed by tech companies. Take out the H1-B visa employees, and the eye-popping numbers of Asian technologists drops by half.

There's also the reality that being an Asian technology employee can be a professional dead end. A gilded one, to be sure -- the average salary for a computer programmer is around $75,000 a year -- but the statistics on leadership-level employees show that most Asians in the tech industry hit a ceiling well before they reach management status.

The percentage of whites, blacks and Hispanics who are executives is the same as their percentage in engineering roles. Asians, meanwhile, are about half as likely to be managers as they are to be coders and hardware hackers.

"I'd be lying if I said I didn't notice underrepresentation by Asians in Silicon Valley at the executive level relative to their presence at lower levels," said James Hong, a serial entrepreneur and angel investor who began his career at Hewlett-Packard and went on to co-found one of the early dot-com sensations, the portrait-rating site HotOrNot.com. Hong points out, however, that it's not clear whether this is more likely to be evidence of racial bias or a byproduct of immigrant culture.

"Were we on average trained as children to be overachieving bookworms who respect authority and avoid conflict, and do these traits inhibit our progression into the upper levels of management?" he asks. "Did strict Asian parents restrict their Asian American children from socializing with their classmates, making them incapable of leading others?"
[328 words]

[Time 4]
It's a question I sometimes wonder about every time I double-clutch before raising my hand to share an opinion, or defer to a supervisor's decisions even when I disagree. (And I'm about as rash, unruly and outspoken a child of Asian immigrants as you'll probably find, as my parents have concluded.)

The upbringing that gives you the skills you need to do well professionally doesn't necessarily provide you with the mindset you need to excel professionally. This suggests that the encouragement of diversity needs to be a priority in a person's life long before entry into the workforce.

Ensuring that we're exposed to people of different backgrounds from a very early age doesn't just encourage tolerance; it also provides us with a rich array of cultural models to follow, helping to address the soft spots we face in our individual upbringing. It certainly did for me. I'm not sure how I would've turned out if I'd lived and grown up in a monocultural environment. I imagine I'd probably be a doctor or engineer -- a mediocre and unhappy one.

The tech industry is trying to address its workforce shortcomings now, because it realizes that diversity isn't a burden, it's a secret weapon. A diverse enterprise has the wherewithal to buffer collective strengths and bridge individual weaknesses, to zig when others zag and to respond fluidly regardless of shifts in the business environment and consumer landscape.

And that's even truer for America as a whole than it is for the tech industry. If the future belongs to the United States, it won't be because we invented Facebook and Google. It will be because we're the only nation in the world where Asian journalists and black doctors and Hispanic coders live and work side by side.
[294 words]

Source: CNN Opinion
http://edition.cnn.com/2014/08/27/opinion/yang-tech-diversity/index.html?hpt=op_bn7

Screenshot courtesy of Outlook/Photo illustration by Slate

Don’t Email Me
——One professor banned students from emailing her. The results were great.
Carl Straumsheim

This article originally appeared in Inside Higher Ed.

[Time 5]
A Salem College faculty member last semester took an uncompromising approach to curbing syllabus and inbox bloat: Why not ban most student emails?

“For years, student emails have been an assault on professors, sometimes with inappropriate informality, sometimes just simply not understanding that professors should not have to respond immediately,” Spring-Serenity Duvall, assistant professor of communications at Salem College, wrote in a blog post last week. “In a fit of self-preservation, I decided: no more. This is where I make my stand!”

Duvall’s frustration is shared by many in academe—or anyone with an email account—from faculty members beset by questions they have answered both in class and in writing to students inundated by university email blasts. This spring, when Duvall taught at the University of South Carolina–Aiken, she adopted a new email policy to cut down on emails from students telling her they would be late, or would miss class, or would have to leave early, or any of the countless others that could be handled face to face.

Instead of wasting class time on walking her students through an increasingly complicated flowchart diagram of when they could and could not email her, Duvall stopped the problem at its core: no emails—unless you’re scheduling an in-person meeting.

“I suffer from syllabus creep as bad as the next teacher—where the syllabus just gets longer and longer and you try to account for everything—and I was laboring over the section on email policy, because that section of my syllabi for all my classes had just ballooned.” Duvall said in an interview. “What I realized, in my frustration, is what I was really trying to tell them is ‘don’t email me.’ ”

The policy (seen below) was not meant to make her less accessible to students in her senior-level gender and media studies course, nor did it come from an “antiquated, anti-new-media perspective,” Duvall said. Its purpose was twofold: teaching students to be more self-reliant by making them read assignments and the syllabus more closely, and freeing up time for conversations in the classroom and during office hours.
[353 words]

[Time 6]
E-mail: You should only use email as a tool to set up a one-on-one meeting with me if office hours conflict with your schedule. Use the subject line “Meeting request.” Your message should include at least two times when you would like to meet and a brief (one-two sentence) description of the reason for the meeting. Emails sent for any other reason will not be considered or acknowledged. I strongly encourage you to ask questions about the syllabus and assignments during class time. For more in-depth discussions (such as guidance on assignments) please plan to meet in person or call my office. Our conversations should take place in person or over the phone rather than via email, thus allowing us to get to know each other better and fostering a more collegial learning atmosphere.

“I did think ‘this is ridiculous—I’ll never get away with it,’ ” Duvall said. But with approval from her department head—and a promise to herself that she could always scrap the policy halfway through the semester—she piloted it.

This is not the first policy battle Duvall has fought. Years ago she tried to take a stand against smartphones, tablets, and laptops in the classroom, but settled for a compromise that allowed such devices to be used as long as they didn’t distract anyone else. The difference between that policy and her sticking with the email ban, however, is that the former may have been more “antagonistic” in nature

“The more I talk to people about this, the more I find myself thinking that this whole teaching endeavor is not a zero-sum game,” Duvall said. “I think it’s important for any policy that it be the best thing for that class and those students and even the professor, and not [used] haphazardly.”

After one semester, Duvall said, the email policy has been an “unqualified success.” She reported spending less time filtering through “hundreds of brief, inconsequential emails,” and noticed that students came to class better prepared and wrote better papers. She allowed one exception to the rule—students emailing her content relevant to the course. During her decade-long career as a college instructor, Duvall said, she has never received more phone calls and more student visits during her office hours.
[378 words]

[The Rest]
Students, in turn, gave the course better evaluations than previous cohorts, and rated Duvall’s concern for their progress and efforts to make herself accessible as “excellent.” Only one student out of 48 had something to say about the email policy—a quibble about not being able to ask simple yes-no questions—but even that student endorsed Duvall’s preference for in-person meetings.

“There was a little part of me that was afraid that maybe they were keeping their thoughts to themselves, and they would slam me on the evaluations on how much they hated the policy,” Duvall said.

Now at Salem, a small women’s college in North Carolina, Duvall said her policy will likely be an even better fit. This semester, which started this week, students in all her classes—from the sophomores and juniors in her gender and new media course to the freshmen in Public Speaking 101—will have to adapt to the policy.

“This is really not as radical as it felt or as people think it is,” Duvall said. “We all try things with our teaching and then learn from that. I’m always re-evaluating and updating, and if it fails miserably here, I’ll rethink it next time. But for now, I’ll try it.”
[208 words]

Source: Slate
http://www.slate.com/articles/life/inside_higher_ed/2014/08/salem_college_professor_spring_serenity_duvall_banned_students_from_emailing.html

本帖子中包含更多资源

x
 楼主| 发表于 2014-8-31 09:23:13 | 显示全部楼层
Part III: Obstacle

Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton testifying before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee (© Benjamin J. Meyers/Corbis)

Why Do Secretaries of State Make Such Terrible Presidential Candidates?
——Before the Civil War, the cabinet position was considered a stepping stone to the Chief Executive; now, not so much
Andrea Stone  | August 12, 2014

[Paraphrase 7]
During her four years as the 67th secretary of state, Hillary Rodham Clinton visited 112 countries and logged 956,733 miles, setting a record as the most well-traveled U.S. envoy in history. But as Clinton mulls a second run for the presidency in 2016, there is one other number she may want to consider.

By 2016, that is how many years it will have been since the last candidate with secretary of state credentials was voted into the White House. Prior to that, six secretaries of state went on to be elected president after their diplomatic service.

It might be convenient to trace the jinx to James Buchanan, the U.S. envoy to Britain and former secretary of state under James Polk who was elected to the presidency in 1856. Most presidential scholars, after all, rank him the worst chief executive in U.S. history. But while Buchanan did fail to prevent the Civil War, political historians offer analysis that suggests he shouldn’t take the rap for sullying the prospects of his successors at State. If diplomats have fallen out of favor at the polls, they say, blame America’s transformation into a global power, universal suffrage, the rise of the primary system and the changing nature of the cabinet position itself.

Besides Buchanan, the other top diplomats who became president all served in the country’s infancy. The nation’s first secretary of state, Thomas Jefferson, was followed to the White House by James Madison, James Monroe, John Quincy Adams and Martin Van Buren.

At a time when there were few prominent national figures and only white men who owned property could vote, the pool of presidential contenders came mostly from the vice presidency and the most senior cabinet position.

“In the early days of the republic, the secretary of state was the heir apparent to the president,” says H.W. Brands, a University of Texas at Austin professor of American history. “Presidents could easily hand-pick their party's next candidate. The party caucuses formally selected the candidates but presidents guided the process. There were no primaries, and vote-getting ability had little to do with the nominee-selection process.”

Backroom dealing and the prospect that time spent in diplomacy would pay off later with the presidency played a key role in the contentious and inconclusive election of 1824.

Secretary of State John Quincy Adams came out the winner of what came to be known as the “corrupt bargain” that saw the House of Representatives bypass the top electoral college vote-getter, Tennessee’s Andrew Jackson, in favor of the son of the second president. Adams won the day with the help of Kentuckian Henry Clay, who detested the populist Jackson and threw his support to the New Englander. In repayment, Adams made Clay his secretary of state and, as was widely understood, his designated successor.

The voters, however, had other ideas. In 1828, Jackson turned Adams out of the White House after just one term and four years later trounced Clay to be re-elected. Clay tried again in 1844 but lost a third time. He would “only” go down in history as The Great Compromiser and one of the country’s greatest statesmen.

Clay’s equally prominent colleague in the Senate, Daniel Webster of Massachusetts, also waged three losing campaigns for president. Two of them came after two stints, a decade apart, as secretary of state under John Tyler and Millard Fillmore.

Like Clay and Webster, many early secretaries of state were domestic political powerhouses who weren’t necessarily experts in foreign affairs.

“After the Civil War, the position's requirements changed,” says Walter LaFeber, a professor emeritus at Cornell University and a historian of U.S. foreign relations. “Secretaries of state were much less political party leaders than able, in some cases highly able, corporate-trained administrators. Their job was no longer to serve as part of a political balance in the Cabinet, but to administer an increasingly complex foreign policy.”

Some of the most effective secretaries, LeFeber says, were corporate lawyers like Elihu Root, Philander Knox and Robert Lansing -- establishment figures not interested in or known for their glad-handing skills with the hoi polloi. Others were career diplomats for whom politics held no appeal.

When the presidential primary system began to take hold in the second half of the 20th century, the distance between Foggy Bottom and 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue grew even longer.

“Suddenly, vote-getting ability was a big deal,” Brands says. “Secretaries of state, who often climbed the appointive ladder rather than the elective ladder, were untested and therefore risky. Their dearth as nominees and then presidents had little to do with their diplomatic skills; it had much to do with their absence of political chops.”

Voters wanted candidates who had won campaigns and came equipped with executive experience. In other words, governors like Jimmy Carter, Ronald Reagan and Bill Clinton. After Buchanan, the only president to be elected with substantial diplomatic credentials was George H. W. Bush, a former U.S. ambassador to the United Nations who later served as Gerald Ford’s envoy to China and director of the CIA. Secretaries of State, for that matter, were often selected from outside the legislature; prior to Clinton, the last senator to take on the cabinet role was Edmund Muskie in 1980.

“There is an elitism to running foreign policy,” says historian Douglas Brinkley. “You’re thinking about the world at large, but Americans like populists. You’ve got to play big in Des Moines, not in Paris. It used to be in the early republic that having your time in Paris was a big credential for president. It’s no longer that.”

Indeed, the White House cabinet room may be one of the worst springboards to the presidency overall. Besides the six diplomats, only former secretary of war William Howard Taft and former commerce secretary Herbert Hoover have made the jump to the Oval Office. Taft would also be confirmed as Chief Justice of the Supreme Court after his presidency.

However, losing a presidential campaign-- or two or three -- is a time-tested route to the secretariat. In the late 19th century, Maine Republican James Blaine would intersperse two separate terms as secretary of state with three failed runs for president. Democratic firebrand William Jennings Bryan lost three presidential elections before Woodrow Wilson appointed him to the post in 1913.

Current Secretary of State John Kerry, whose perceived French connection contributed to his loss to incumbent George W. Bush in 2004, and Hillary Clinton, who lost a historic election to Barack Obama four years later, came to the job like many of their predecessors: as a consolation prize.

Now, as Clinton ponders whether to become the first former secretary of state since Alexander Haig in 1988 to run for president -- something another highly touted top diplomat, Colin Powell, gave a pass -- is precedent weighted against her?

Not necessarily, says University of Virginia political scientist Larry Sabato. Despite Republican promises to make her handling of the 2012 attack in Benghazi an issue if she runs, being at State “has helped Hillary Clinton enormously,” he says, “because if there is anyone who needed to be put above politics, what with Bill, it was Hillary Clinton.”

Presidential scholar Stephen Hess of the Brookings Institution doesn’t see parallels to other secretaries of state who ran for the White House and lost. As a former first lady who was twice elected to the U.S. Senate and could make history as America’s first woman chief executive, Clinton “by now is in a category by herself.”
[1250 words]

Source: Smithsonian
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/why-do-secretaries-state-make-such-terrible-presidential-candidates-180952327/

本帖子中包含更多资源

x
发表于 2014-8-31 09:24:32 | 显示全部楼层
谢谢枣糕兔~
----------
speaker:
after a vacation, the family found that their window in the back of the house is broken
in this community, there are always some incidents happening

time7:
Hillary: secretary of state->president?
only 6 person did
what they did?policy admin
Hillary has made the history
发表于 2014-8-31 10:18:35 | 显示全部楼层
There are some discriminations on the major and job. For example, an Asian Ameerican male will be ridiculous if he pursues a career in the arts. And in most tech industries, such as Apple and Google, Asian people account for a lager part of all employees. However, there are only few African Americans and Latinos working in these company.
2m3s

These statistics may be not as exact as what they seem. After taking out the H1-B vissa employees, the numbers of Asian technologists drop a lot. However, the statistics still can show some reality: Asian technology employees can be a professional dead end. Their salaries are very high, about 75000 dollars per year as a programmer. Nevertheless, there is few Asian people reaching management status. Maybe that is racial bias or influence of immigrant culture.
2m58s

As the evironment becomes more and more complex, we need diverse culture and backgrounds to deal with problems. Diversity is not only important for tech industries, but also critical for the whole country.
2m28s

A faculty in the college tells her students not to e-mail her again, unless they are scheduling an in-person meeting.
2m29s

Duvall tells her students how to write qualified an e-mail to her. She pilots the ban even though she thinks it's ridiculous. And that is not the first battle that she fights. A few years ago, she argued that students should not use smartphone and laptops in the class. After the email policy, Duvall says she no longer bothers with the large number of e-mails.
5m42s

The effect of the email policy is excellent, and Duvall will try some more "radical" methods.
1m6s

The history of the relationship between secretary of state and president. Prior to Civil War, the position of secretary of stateis a stepping stone to president because the president has the power to guide the election process. And then the author gives us some example to further illustrate. However, after the war, the situation changes. Secretary of state no longer serve as part of political balance in the Cabinet, but administer complex diplomatic policies. At the last of the passage, the author states some views of other people about the current secretary of state John Kerry and Hillary Cliton.
10m40
说实话,我连中国的政治体制都没弄清楚,就更别说美国的选举制度了。什么内阁,国务卿,总统,分不清楚。。。
发表于 2014-8-31 11:28:56 | 显示全部楼层
There are some discriminations on the major and job. For example, an Asian Ameerican male will be ridiculous if he pursues a career in the arts. And in most tech industries, such as Apple and Google, Asian people account for a lager part of all employees. However, there are only few African Americans and Latinos working in these company.
2m3s

These statistics may be not as exact as what they seem. After taking out the H1-B vissa employees, the numbers of Asian technologists drop a lot. However, the statistics still can show some reality: Asian technology employees can be a professional dead end. Their salaries are very high, about 75000 dollars per year as a programmer. Nevertheless, there is few Asian people reaching management status. Maybe that is racial bias or influence of immigrant culture.
2m58s

As the evironment becomes more and more complex, we need diverse culture and backgrounds to deal with problems. Diversity is not only important for tech industries, but also critical for the whole country.
2m28s

A faculty in the college tells her students not to e-mail her again, unless they are scheduling an in-person meeting.
2m29s

Duvall tells her students how to write qualified an e-mail to her. She pilots the ban even though she thinks it's ridiculous. And that is not the first battle that she fights. A few years ago, she argued that students should not use smartphone and laptops in the class. After the email policy, Duvall says she no longer bothers with the large number of e-mails.
5m42s

The effect of the email policy is excellent, and Duvall will try some more "radical" methods.
1m6s

The history of the relationship between secretary of state and president. Prior to Civil War, the position of secretary of stateis a stepping stone to president because the president has the power to guide the election process. And then the author gives us some example to further illustrate. However, after the war, the situation changes. Secretary of state no longer serve as part of political balance in the Cabinet, but administer complex diplomatic policies. At the last of the passage, the author states some views of other people about the current secretary of state John Kerry and Hillary Cliton.
10m40
说实话,我连中国的政治体制都没弄清楚,就更别说美国的选举制度了。什么内阁,国务卿,总统,分不清楚。。。
发表于 2014-8-31 12:04:31 | 显示全部楼层
枣糕兔 发表于 2014-8-31 09:23
Part III: Obstacle

Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton testifying before the Sena ...

掌管 6        00:15:27.14        00:39:30.61
掌管 5        00:05:41.42        00:24:03.46
掌管 4        00:04:53.53        00:18:22.03
掌管 3        00:03:37.91        00:13:28.50
掌管 2        00:03:35.76        00:09:50.59
掌管 1        00:06:14.82        00:06:14.82
发表于 2014-8-31 12:08:45 | 显示全部楼层
2:2'47
3:2'50
4:2'36
5'3'17
6+the rest:5'24

Obstacle:12'15
too sleepy to understand the whole article. mmm  'cause it's 23:40 EST.
structure:
引子: citing Hillary Clinton runs for presidency in 2016, the author talks about it seems hard for secretaries of states to become a president successfully recently.
hundreds years ago, 6 secretaries of states. and the author gives some examples.
one reason is because the nominees and voters were much less than now.
but after civil war, secretaries of states's responsibilities changed from leading the domestic party to dealing with foreign affairs.
however, Hillary Clinton cannot be included in this category.
发表于 2014-8-31 15:27:30 | 显示全部楼层
[Speaking]还挺有意思的
1. Romeos - refer to the entire family ,put a 's'in the end.
2. vandal = a criminal who destroys or damages someone's property - sth that belong to someone else.
3. tag = painting your name or organization's name or symbol on the wall. this kind of thing,unfortunately, you see a lot in big cities around the world, usually young men go along with paint cans,putstrange symbols on public walls .
4. graffiti = either writing or drawing that placed without permission on someone's walls or vehicles.
5. punk = a young men break the law to do anything to bother people. it's a negative describing of people .
                          a kind of music in late 1970s .
6. egg = throw eggs up on building.raw instead of cooked.break and make a mess.creat a mess and to damage the wall.young people do sometimes as a joke.
7. TP= take toilet paper. on tree or bush around someone's house.
8. flowerbed=area in lawn or garden
9. get out of hand = out of control or to become a serious problem. slowly getting worse.
10. have tyre slashed = have someone take a knife or sharp object and punch a hold in your tyre.
11. key someone's car =  walk aside the car.and script the paint of the car.
12. flowerbed=area in lawn or garden
13. trample = step on sth especially a plant and in doing so , kill the plant or at least fletten? the plant...
14. go downhill =to become worse ,a situation that is becoming worse,that is deteriorating
15. patrol = walk or drive around an area to make sure no one's
16. patrol cars = looking to.. make sure that the area is safe.
17. neighborhood watch = group of a people in a certain neighborhood agree to pay attention,if nothing else, to the area in which they live,if they see anything illegal,suspicious they call the police.  report any problems to police immediately.
18. suspicious = sth make you think that maybe it's illegal or. .
19. response times = react to sth. from which you make a request ,ambulance.
20. go after someone = to run after,to persue someone with the idea of catching, holding ,punishing them.(attack)
21. vigilante = someone not police punish criminals doesn't have legal right or authority
22. make my day =  the opportunity to punnish me make me happy

[Time2]  2:12  294
The stereotypes on Asians's good at science and engineering always a distorted truth, according to statistics on the asian engineering in various tech company, it turns out that they occupies more than half.embarrous though, they need to improve on the inaproporiate ratio.

[Time3]  2:53  328
The number of Asian who holds H-B visa are far more than white,black and hispanics , as well as the same situation on engineering position in tech company.In contrast, it is shown an contradiction on promoting the executive department.The writer wonder how the Asian parents educate their Asian American children in becoming a leader.

[Time4]  3:03  294
An example from the writer, he or she is an outspoken peroson without thinking indirectly considering problems of different nations,cultures,or habbits.Yet it is very important to lead the children to possess multi-culture consciousness in order to be successful in the future.The same thing will happen to US too.

[Time5]  3:02  353
Academic professors were frustrated by the annoying countless e-mails asking for all kinds of details about assignments or making appointments by students, to get rid of it,they adopted new policy which is to shut e-mails from students down.It benefits not only on improving students' self-reliant but also freeing up time during office and classroom.Moreover, it does no harm to the syllabus going fluently.

[Time6]  2:42 378
The regulations to e-mail professor is that students can only discuss about guidence on assignmente,otherwise syllabus of assignments,they should ask during the class.Pro.D had fought against devices like smartphone,laptop long way before,however she compromised to use them still afterwards.In terms of less disturbance from students on e-mails,she adjusted the regulations that students can also send e-mails of academic contents to her.

[The Rest]  1:23  208
It shows in the investigation that students evaluate Pro.D as "excellent",only one of 48 has something to say about the policy in which they cannot ask quicly answered questions.Notwithstanding, Pro.D worries about students not telling the truth, instead , they talk bad behind her.Other pros using similar approach obtain even better results.Pros won't rethink the policy unless someone oppose to it,for now,they just stick to it.

[Obstacle]  10:08 1250
In the past,usually the president guided and decided the election process and nominations.Secretary of state used to serve as domestic political powerhouse,but now they specializes more in foreign affairs.Stating some important figures who were or are working for the US and their status in the government.
其实还说了很多很多,句子读起来并不太难过,只是一头雾水完全不懂他想表达什么。。。更别提逻辑关系文章结构了囧

发表于 2014-8-31 16:33:55 | 显示全部楼层
time2       
294words       
02.04.66        145w/m
stereotype is embarrasing since it indicates the truth for most of time,but it can cause many troubles for the exceptions.       
time3
328words       
02.06.89        160w/m
Though lots of Asian people work as engineers,only little of them become leaders.       
time4
294words       
01.48.14        165w/m
A diversified environment helps get rid of the shortcoming of stereotype so that different racial of people can become what they really want to.        
time5       
353words       
02.20.98        150w/m
In order to make students read assignments and syllabus more closely and make most use of her office hours,a proffessor decided to ban emails from her students.       
time6       
378words       
02.23.89        158w/m
The detailed information about the ban and the influence of it.       
time7
1250words       
08.00.04        155w/m
I'm so unfamiliar with the names and with the history,honest speaking, I understand little about the passage.       
感觉两天没看懂越障好心酸,不知道是不是这两天状态不够好光想着出去玩了,明天一整天都在火车上,只能用手机签到啦
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-3-29 13:28
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部