ChaseDream
搜索
返回列表 发新帖
查看: 7169|回复: 52

[阅读小分队] 【Native Speaker每日综合训练—39系列】【39-16】文史哲 Millennials

[精华] [复制链接]
发表于 2014-7-27 21:59:45 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
内容:Fffffionabear 编辑:Fffffionabear

Stay tuned to our latest post! Follow us here ---> http://weibo.com/u/3476904471

公益申请名额,每月一名

Part I: Speaker

Young Children Think Differently about Ownership
MINE! That word appears early in life. Toddlers have an idea of ownership.

They also have an idea of what can be owned, and what can’t.

Children as young as three believe human-made objects are owned but naturally occurring things like pinecones are not.

In one experiment 3-year olds looked at pictures of a fork, teddy bear, truck, and other human-made objects. They also looked at pictures of a leaf, shell, or rock. The researchers asked: Does this belong to anyone?

The kids classified human-made objects as owned 89 percent of the time and naturally occurring objects as owned only 28 percent of the time.

In another experiment scientists tested children with less familiar objects like a grenade versus coral. This time children under 6 did not tend to name the manufactured object as owned. But when the unfamiliar, artificial objects were referred to as “human-made,” the younger children tended to classify them as owned. The work appears in the journal Developmental Psychology. (pdf)

It is apparently only much later in life, when individuals have reached a seasoned maturity, that they can conceive of ownership of natural objects. “You kids get off ofmy lawn!”
—Christie Nicholson
Source: Scientific American
http://www.scientificamerican.com/podcast/episode/young-children-think-differently-ab-11-10-09/
[Rephrase 1, 1:29]

本帖子中包含更多资源

您需要 登录 才可以下载或查看,没有帐号?立即注册

x
 楼主| 发表于 2014-7-27 22:07:33 | 显示全部楼层
Part II: Speed

Millennials: The Me Me Me Generation
By Joel Stein

Correction Appended: May 9, 2013

[Time 2]
I am about to do what old people have done throughout history: call those younger than me lazy, entitled, selfish and shallow. But I have studies! I have statistics! I have quotes from respected academics! Unlike my parents, my grandparents and my great-grandparents, I have proof.

Here's the cold, hard data: The incidence of narcissistic personality disorder is nearly three times as high for people in their 20s as for the generation that's now 65 or older, according to the National Institutes of Health; 58% more college students scored higher on a narcissism scale in 2009 than in 1982. Millennials got so many participation trophies growing up that a recent study showed that 40% believe they should be promoted every two years, regardless of performance. They are fame-obsessed: three times as many middle school girls want to grow up to be a personal assistant to a famous person as want to be a Senator, according to a 2007 survey; four times as many would pick the assistant job over CEO of a major corporation. They're so convinced of their own greatness that the National Study of Youth and Religion found the guiding morality of 60% of millennials in any situation is that they'll just be able to feel what's right. Their development is stunted: more people ages 18 to 29 live with their parents than with a spouse, according to the 2012 Clark University Poll of Emerging Adults. And they are lazy. In 1992, the nonprofit Families and Work Institute reported that 80% of people under 23 wanted to one day have a job with greater responsibility; 10 years later, only 60% did.

[273 words]

[Time 3]
Millennials consist, depending on whom you ask, of people born from 1980 to 2000. To put it more simply for them, since they grew up not having to do a lot of math in their heads, thanks to computers, the group is made up mostly of teens and 20-somethings. At 80 million strong, they are the biggest age grouping in American history. Each country's millennials are different, but because of globalization, social media, the exporting of Western culture and the speed of change, millennials worldwide are more similar to one another than to older generations within their nations. Even in China, where family history is more important than any individual, the Internet, urbanization and the one-child policy have created a generation as overconfident and self-involved as the Western one. And these aren't just rich-kid problems: poor millennials have even higher rates of narcissism, materialism and technology addiction in their ghetto-fabulous lives.

They are the most threatening and exciting generation since the baby boomers brought about social revolution, not because they're trying to take over the Establishment but because they're growing up without one. The Industrial Revolution made individuals far more powerful--they could move to a city, start a business, read and form organizations. The information revolution has further empowered individuals by handing them the technology to compete against huge organizations: hackers vs. corporations, bloggers vs. newspapers, terrorists vs. nation-states, YouTube directors vs. studios, app-makers vs. entire industries. Millennials don't need us. That's why we're scared of them.

[248 words]

[Time 4]
In the U.S., millennials are the children of baby boomers, who are also known as the Me Generation, who then produced the Me Me Me Generation, whose selfishness technology has only exacerbated. Whereas in the 1950s families displayed a wedding photo, a school photo and maybe a military photo in their homes, the average middle-class American family today walks amid 85 pictures of themselves and their pets. Millennials have come of age in the era of the quantified self, recording their daily steps on FitBit, their whereabouts every hour of every day on PlaceMe and their genetic data on 23 and Me. They have less civic engagement and lower political participation than any previous group. This is a generation that would have made Walt Whitman wonder if maybe they should try singing a song of someone else.

They got this way partly because, in the 1970s, people wanted to improve kids' chances of success by instilling self-esteem. It turns out that self-esteem is great for getting a job or hooking up at a bar but not so great for keeping a job or a relationship. "It was an honest mistake," says Roy Baumeister, a psychology professor at Florida State University and the editor of Self-Esteem: The Puzzle of Low Self-Regard. "The early findings showed that, indeed, kids with high self-esteem did better in school and were less likely to be in various kinds of trouble. It's just that we've learned later that self-esteem is a result, not a cause." The problem is that when people try to boost self-esteem, they accidentally boost narcissism instead. "Just tell your kids you love them. It's a better message," says Jean Twenge, a psychology professor at San Diego State University, who wrote Generation Me and The Narcissism Epidemic. "When they're little it seems cute to tell them they're special or a princess or a rock star or whatever their T-shirt says. When they're 14 it's no longer cute." All that self-esteem leads them to be disappointed when the world refuses to affirm how great they know they are. "This generation has the highest likelihood of having unmet expectations with respect to their careers and the lowest levels of satisfaction with their careers at the stage that they're at," says Sean Lyons, co-editor of Managing the New Workforce: International Perspectives on the Millennial Generation. "It is sort of a crisis of unmet expectations."

[398 words]

[Time 5]
What millennials are most famous for besides narcissism is its effect: entitlement. If you want to sell seminars to middle managers, make them about how to deal with young employees who e-mail the CEO directly and beg off projects they find boring. English teacher David McCullough Jr.'s address last year to Wellesley High School's graduating class, a 12-minute reality check titled "You Are Not Special," has nearly 2 million hits on YouTube. "Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you," McCullough told the graduates. He says nearly all the response to the video has been positive, especially from millennials themselves; the video has 57 likes for every dislike.

Though they're cocky about their place in the world, millennials are also stunted, having prolonged a life stage between teenager and adult that this magazine once called twixters and will now use once again in an attempt to get that term to catch on. The idea of the teenager started in the 1920s; in 1910, only a tiny percentage of kids went to high school, so most people's social interactions were with adults in their family or in the workplace. Now that cell phones allow kids to socialize at every hour--they send and receive an average of 88 texts a day, according to Pew--they're living under the constant influence of their friends. "Peer pressure is anti-intellectual. It is anti-historical. It is anti-eloquence," says Mark Bauerlein, an English professor at Emory, who wrote The Dumbest Generation: How the Digital Age Stupefies Young Americans and Jeopardizes Our Future (Or, Don't Trust Anyone Under 30). "Never before in history have people been able to grow up and reach age 23 so dominated by peers. To develop intellectually you've got to relate to older people, older things: 17-year-olds never grow up if they're just hanging around other 17-year-olds." Of all the objections to Obamacare, not a lot of people argued against parents' need to cover their kids' health insurance until they're 26.

[338 words]

[Time 6]
Millennials are interacting all day but almost entirely through a screen. You've seen them at bars, sitting next to one another and texting. They might look calm, but they're deeply anxious about missing out on something better. Seventy percent of them check their phones every hour, and many experience phantom pocket-vibration syndrome. "They're doing a behavior to reduce their anxiety," says Larry Rosen, a psychology professor at California State University at Dominguez Hills and the author of iDisorder. That constant search for a hit of dopamine ("Someone liked my status update!") reduces creativity. From 1966, when the Torrance Tests of Creative Thinking were first administered, through the mid-1980s, creativity scores in children increased. Then they dropped, falling sharply in 1998. Scores on tests of empathy similarly fell sharply, starting in 2000, likely because of both a lack of face-to-face time and higher degrees of narcissism. Not only do millennials lack the kind of empathy that allows them to feel concerned for others, but they also have trouble even intellectually understanding others' points of view.

What they do understand is how to turn themselves into brands, with "friend" and "follower" tallies that serve as sales figures. As with most sales, positivity and confidence work best. "People are inflating themselves like balloons on Facebook," says W. Keith Campbell, a psychology professor at the University of Georgia, who has written three books about generational increases in narcissism (including When You Love a Man Who Loves Himself). When everyone is telling you about their vacations, parties and promotions, you start to embellish your own life to keep up. If you do this well enough on Instagram, YouTube and Twitter, you can become a microcelebrity.

Millennials grew up watching reality-TV shows, most of which are basically documentaries about narcissists. Now they have trained themselves to be reality-TV-ready. "Most people never define who they are as a personality type until their 30s. So for people to be defining who they are at the age of 14 is almost a huge evolutionary jump," says casting director Doron Ofir, who auditioned participants for Jersey Shore, Millionaire Matchmaker, A Shot at Love and RuPaul's Drag Race, among other shows. "Do you follow me on Twitter?" he asks at the end of the interview. "Oh, you should. I'm fun. I hope that one day they provide an Emmy for casting of reality shows--because, you know, I'd assume I'm a shoo-in. I would like that gold statue. And then I will take a photo of it, and then I will Instagram it." Ofir is 41, but he has clearly spent a lot of time around millennials.

[438 words]
Source: Times
http://time.com/247/millennials-the-me-me-me-generation/?pcd=pw-pas
 楼主| 发表于 2014-7-27 22:09:26 | 显示全部楼层
Part III: Obstacle

Millennials: The Greatest Generation or the Most Narcissistic?
JEAN TWENGEMAY 2 2012, 11:25

[Paraphrase 7]
Popular books have argued that today's 20-somethings are more service-oriented than any generation since World War II. But new research suggests the opposite.

Reading about today's young generation is enough to give you whiplash.

Many books and articles celebrate Millennials (born, roughly, 1982 to 1999) as helpful, civically oriented young people who want to save the planet. Others argue the polar opposite, that Millennials are entitled, self-centered, and uninterested in much outside their own Facebook page. Which view is right -- are Millennials Generation We or Generation Me?

The first books written about Millennials were not just positive but glowing. The best known of these, Millennials Rising, is subtitled The Next Great Generation. Authors Neil Howe and William Strauss predicted that Millennials would resemble the generation who fought World War II: conformist, socially conservative, and highly involved in the community and interested in government. "Once this new youth persona begins to focus on convention, community, and civic renewal, America will be on the brink of becoming someplace very new," they write.

Millennials Rising was published in 2000, when the oldest Millennials were just 18. Howe and Strauss pointed to increasing rates of volunteering among high school students and decreasing rates of teen pregnancy and crime. They also interviewed 660 teens in McLean, VA, but didn't compare these responses -- or measures of civic engagement in large national surveys of young people -- to those of previous generations. You can't really conclude anything about generational differences if you have data from only one generation.

In the years that followed, numerous books and news reports emphasized Millennials' desire to help others, become involved in politics and government, and work toward improving the environment. "People born between 1982 and 2000 are the most civic-minded since the generation of the 1930s and 1940s," claimed USA Today. "Generation We is noncynical and civic-minded. They believe in the value of political engagement and are convinced that government can be a powerful force for good," wrote Eric Greenberg and Karl Weber in their 2008 book Generation We. "By comparison with past generations, Generation We is highly politically engaged." Both of these sources mentioned the rise in volunteering and interviewed Millennials, but didn't compare those responses to data from previous generations.

In my 2006 book Generation Me, I presented data showing generational increases in self-esteem, assertiveness, self-importance, narcissism, and high expectations, based on surveys of 1.2 million young people, some dating back to the 1920s. These analyses indicated a clear cultural shift toward individualism and focusing on the self. But perhaps both views were correct -- maybe Millennials' greater self-importance found expression in helping others and caring about larger social causes.

My co-authors and I decided to find out. Two large datasets -- the Monitoring the Future survey of high school students and the American Freshman survey of entering college students -- had many questions on community feeling, concern for others, and civic engagement that had been asked since the Boomers were young in the 1960s and 1970s. Both datasets are nationally representative and both are huge -- half a million high school respondents and 9 million college respondents.

With representative samples comparing three generations at the same age, this was the best data available to settle the Me vs. We question - and these items had never been analyzed in their entirety before.

So we dug into the data. The results for civic engagement were clear: Millennials were less likely than Boomers and even GenXers to say they thought about social problems, to be interested in politics and government, to contact public officials, or to work for a political campaign. They were less likely to say they trusted the government to do what's right, and less likely to say they were interested in government and current events. It was a far cry from Howe and Strauss' prediction of Millennials as "The Next Great Generation" in civic involvement.

Millennials were also less likely to say they did things in their daily lives to conserve energy and help the environment, and less likely to agree that government should take action on environmental issues. With all of the talk about Millennials being "green," I expected these items to be the exception. Instead, they showed some of the largest declines. Three times as many Millennials as Boomers said they made no personal effort to help the environment.

Millennials were slightly less likely to say they wanted a job that was helpful to others or was worthwhile to society. This is directly counter to the Generation We view predicting that Millennials would be much more concerned for others. Volunteering rates did increase, the only item out of 30 measuring concern for others that did. However, this rise occurred at the same time that high schools increasingly required volunteer service to graduate.

So where did Howe and Strauss, and others who championed the "Generation We" view, go wrong? They developed an idea of the generation first and then went looking for data to support it. They found some -- increasing rates of volunteering, for example. But they didn't consider the whole picture by examining the large amount of data available on generational shifts in civic orientation, life goals, and concern for others.

Those who have done in-depth studies of today's young people, such as Christian Smith in Lost in Transition, have come to a similar conclusion. "The idea that today's emerging adults are as a generation leading a new wave of renewed civic-mindedness and political involvement is sheer fiction," Smith wrote. "The fact that anyone ever believed that idea simply tells us how flimsy the empirical evidence that

so many journalistic media stories are based upon is and how unaccountable to empirical reality high-profile journalism can be."

Howe and Strauss were right about other trends -- rates of teen pregnancy, early sexual intercourse, alcohol abuse, and youth crime have continued to decline. However, these behaviors aren't related at all to civic orientation, and have a tangential relationship at best to the desire to help others or contribute to society. They are also determined by many factors beyond generational attitudes, such as demographics, drug wars, policing, birth control availability, and even -- as the authors of Freakonomics argued -- the legalization of abortion.

I'm sometimes asked why I have such a "negative" view of young people. I don't. The longest chapter in Generation Me was on the increase in equality and tolerance, clearly a positive development. In addition, these findings have nothing to do with my views. The survey data we analyzed captured what Millennials said about themselves, not what I or any other GenXer or Boomer says about them. If we're going to understand our culture and how it's changed, we need to listen to what young people say.
[1128 words]
Source: Theatlantic
http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2012/05/millennials-the-greatest-generation-or-the-most-narcissistic/256638/
发表于 2014-7-27 22:12:12 | 显示全部楼层
沙发~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~··

Speaker: Children have different defination of ownership.Children classified human-made objects as owned and naturally occuring objects as not owned.

01:15
Proof and data showed that the millennials are lazier and more narcissistic than other generation.

01:33
Millennials consist of people born from 1980 to 2000.According to globalization,millennials in different countries are similar.They are the most threatening and exciting generation than will bring the social revolution.

01:59
They have less civic engagement and lower political participation than any previous group.They got this way partly because their parents want them to be success by installing self-esteem.But self-esteem is a result of success not the cause.Boosting self-esteem becomes boosting narcissism at last.

02:07
Millennials are also famous for their entitlement besides narcissism.And millennials have problems and pressure from their peers when they're growing up,thanks to the technology,they can achieve much information from the social media.

02:18
Millennials are interacting all day but almost entirely through a screen,which is a constant search for a hit of dopamine that can reduce creativity.Millennials are inflating thenselves from different aspects and affected by many tools.

07:13
The discussion about whetehr Millennials is Generation We or Generation Me.
Many books and reports emphasized Millennials' desire to help others, become involved in politics and government, and work toward improving the environment.The author presented data showing generational increases in self-esteem, assertiveness, self-importance, narcissism, and high expectations.
Maybe both views are correct:Millennials' greater self-importance found expression in helping others and caring about larger social causes.
And data showed that Millennials were less likely than Boomers and even GenXers to be in civic engagement and to say they did things in their daily lives to conserve energy and help the environment, and to agree that government should take action on environmental issues,and to say they wanted a job that was helpful to others or was worthwhile to society.
Those Generation We supporters have the idea first than find out data to support it.They never consider a whole picture about it and compare the data.Though some of the trend are truem,but those can be affected by other elements and can not be the proof of their generational attitudes.
It's not a negative view.Young people are also chaning the society in postive ways.We need to listen to what young people say.
 楼主| 发表于 2014-7-27 22:15:58 | 显示全部楼层
晚了一会居然占个板凳了~~噢耶~~加班完毕又要开启补作业模式了~~
————感谢!!!嘿~你的作业~不,是你的作业~( ̄_, ̄ ) ~~~#作业天天见~~#~~~进击的阅读小分队~~~\(^o^)/~——————————————————
[speaker]
Children tend to regard classified human-made objects as owned,and artificial objects are also referred to "human-made",so they belong to anyone.
[speed]
1'42
Those studies show that Millennials have higher incidence of narcissistic personality,they are always confident of their greatness,believing they should be promoted in a certain period no matter how they perform.They also have development stunted fot more people live with parents as adults.
1'51
Millennials are the biggest age grouping in the history,and the social media,information innovation and globalization empower them so that they don't even need their predecessor any more.Not only for the rich-kid,but for the poor millennials.
2'41
Millennials have the lowest civic engagement and political participation,they turned this way because the trend of improving children's self-esteem.We used to think people with high self-esteem work better and less troublesome,but it turned out to be upside down.Telling children they're special is more likely to pull them in narcissism way,more than self-esteem.
2'27
The most famous effect of being narcissism is entitlement.Millennials tend to do the skip-level interview when it comes to management,and they just use themselves as a criteria of the world.But they are also stunted by the peer pressure about anti-intellectual,anti-historical and anti-eloquence.
2'16
Millennials are interacting all day but almost through a screen.They lack face-to face time make them lack the kind of empathy and have trouble in understanding others' point of view.Reality-TV shows enhanced their narcissism as well by defining people by tags and fame.
[obstacle]
6'28
main idea:There is a debate about how the Millennials really are,the greatest generation or the most narcissistic.
Some reports said they the the greatest generation:
Take a book named "The Next Great Generation" as a proof.
It says the Millennial begins to focus on convention,community,and they are more civic engagement,strong willing to save the world.The rates of teen pregnancy,early sexual intercourse,alcohol abuse and youth crime have continually declined.
But it just data of one generation,the comparison is null.
Some said they are the worst one:
take "Generation Me" as an example
They are less likely to say they want a job that will be helpful to others,and they are less likely to agree the government.
solution:Empirical study is frail,we should listen to what those Millennial say.   
发表于 2014-7-27 22:37:52 | 显示全部楼层
首页……!!!!!!!!!!!!thx~

Millennials generation--lazy,selfish.
Data and statistics.
Me me me generation.Narcissism.
Cultivate self-esteem--result,not cause--narcissim--frastration when grow up.
Lack of face to face communication.Lack of empathy to feel concerns for others.Lack of understanding of others' view.
Social tools users.
The author decides to make researchs and find out the answer.
The author's conclusion--Generation Me.Questionaires.Answers from millennails.
Why those books get the wrong answer?They may only focus on some parts,not the whole picture(eg,volunteering increases,but this is becasue schools require volunteer works now)
Similar answers from other researchers.
Other trends that those books indicate--affected by many other factors,tangentail related.
Need to ask young people.
发表于 2014-7-27 23:03:25 | 显示全部楼层
含泪占。。。
-----------
谢谢fiona~~

speaker:
children deem man-made objects as ownership
adults own natural thing

time2:
score higher on a narcissism in 20s
young people want to have a job with huge responsibility

time3:
most threatening and exciting generation
baby boomers
industrial revolution, information revolution

time4:
me me me generation focus on themselves
improve chances of success by instilling self-esteem
self-esteem is a result not a cause

time5:
you are not special got many likes

time6:
pay much attention on the internet on what they are in other people’s eyes

time7:
different generation
increase in self-esteem
compare with other generation
why other researchers go wrong
listen to what young people say
发表于 2014-7-27 23:36:51 | 显示全部楼层
已跟了阅读小分队 一个星期了 不知道是OG变得简单了 还是阅读提上去了 做了一天的reading 感觉良好
不过大晚上 再看阅读 就有些hold 不住了 睡觉 我相信是 Generation We
Speaking
Children would recongnize the human-made objects as owned compared by nature objects.When the children grow up,they become realize the nature objects.

Speed
01:17 [273 words]
The author said that the yonng generation is more selfish、lazy、and shadow by statistics.And he can proof it.
Then the article mainly talked baout the concrete date from all kinds of Institute.

01:12 [248 words]
Main idea: millenial
From 1980-2000,as yong generation,we do not have to do quantities of math problems and just use the computer.Different country has different millennial.
The information revolution makes technology compete against huge organizations.

01:40 [398 words]
Main idea: millenial
Attituede: positive
structure:
              1)  Background
                  In US,the millenial was due to baby boomer.Now,there is Me Me generation         
              2)  Self-esteem
                  The parents always boost self-esteem.Though the self-esteem can encourage
                  the good performance in children academic life,it turns out to be not great in their adult life.
              3)  disadvantages
                  It is a crisis of unmet expectations.

02:06
Main idea: millenial generation has anxiety
Attituede: negtive
structure:
              1)  Background
                  young generation is more interested in a screen and they will feel anxiety if they are not exposed to the message for a long time.
              2)  turn them to be brands
                  they always use Twitter Facebook and Instagram to become microcelebrity
              3)  grow up with reality-TV shows
                  they have trained themselves to be reality-TV-ready.Actually they just become narcissists.

Obstacle
05:34 [1128 words]
Main idea: different views about young generation
Attituede: critical
structure:
              1)  Background
                  There are two different views about yong generation and young generation gives you whiplash            
              2)  one side Generation We
                  Young generation is more helpful and has more rates of volunteering.
              3)  another side
                  They are selfish、shadow、and not concerned about others.
              4)  research
                  We cannot draw conclusion on it because we have not data.
                  BUT recently,there is a report comparing three generations at the same age.
              5)  conclusion
                  Millennials were less likely do volunteer work.
                  However,the rates of teen pregnancy,sexual intercourse, alcohol abuse have tangential relationship with civic orientation.
                  We need to listen to what yonug people say in order to know how the culture changes.
发表于 2014-7-28 02:26:59 | 显示全部楼层
T2 2'21
T3 2'19
T4 3'09
T5 2'44
T6 3'23
额 今天才反应过来 之前一直没做P1但是都是从T1开始写的 应该是T2开始吧 罪过。。
速度不行内容也掌握不太好
发表于 2014-7-28 05:32:09 | 显示全部楼层
1)        The children have their opinion about ownship
2)        People’ s view about their career expectation is changing
3)        Self-esteem seems not to be good for people who want to keep jobs or relationship
4)        Many surveys provide the information about millennials.
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-4-19 08:55
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部