打印 上一主题 下一主题

[阅读小分队] 【Native Speaker每日综合训练—38系列】【38-05】文史哲 World War I

[精华] [复制链接]
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 2014-6-21 23:27:45 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
内容:枣糕兔 编辑:枣糕兔

公益申请名额,每月一名

Stay tuned for our latest post! Follow us here ---> http://weibo.com/u/3476904471

Today's theme is World War I, as the 100-year anniversary of the war's outbreak in August is approaching. Although not strictly correlated, today's Speaker shares an utterly interesting story in its own narrative way.

Feast your mind!

Part I: Speaker

The unheard story of David and Goliath

[Rephrase 1, 15’40]

Source: TED talk
http://www.ted.com/talks/malcolm_gladwell_the_unheard_story_of_david_and_goliath#t-436700

本帖子中包含更多资源

您需要 登录 才可以下载或查看,没有帐号?立即注册

x
收藏收藏 收藏收藏
沙发
 楼主| 发表于 2014-6-21 23:27:46 | 只看该作者
Part II: Speed

World War I: A time of upheaval
Britons stand in line outside an Army recruiting station.
How a century-old war affects you
Ruth Ben-Ghiat  |  June 15, 2014

[Time 2]
(CNN) -- World War I began a hundred years ago this summer, but for many of us it might as well be a thousand. We know it, if we know it at all, as a dimly remembered chapter in high school history, or as scenes from old black-and-white movies of soldiers hunkered in trenches doing battle with Germans in pointy helmets. It was all too real for more than 65 million men from some 30 nations who were plunged into carnage the likes of which the world had never before seen.

Every one of those soldiers is dead, and the causes they fought for are lost on many of us. Yet this "war to end all wars" is not a remote event. In fact, World War I changed the world forever, and its effects are all around us.

To begin with, it rewrote history at the grandest level: Empires fell, and new nations--Austria, Hungary, Yugoslavia and Poland among them-- were born in the ashes. Leaders of the still-powerful French and British empires used the conflict to redraw borders in ways that set the stage for future conflicts that stretch on today, in the Middle East, for example.

But there is much more. The first mass conflict among industrialized nations, World War I upended the way war was fought. The weapons it introduced -- submarines, machine guns, poison gas, grenades, tanks -- are all still part of our arsenals. And it was World War I that made airpower and strategic bombing central to the success of any future war. Trench warfare traumatized both soldiers and landscapes, and informed art and literature for years. It would reappear as a battlefield strategy in both the Korean War and in the Iran-Iraq War of the 1980s.

At home and on the battlefield, World War I put new objects and words into circulation: "cooties" are something no kid wants to get, but for GIs in the trenches, they were real and they were lice; and sanitary napkins developed from the handy alternative use nurses found for cellulose bandage material produced for the war. The war popularized Kleenex and tea bags and zippers.

In fact, every time you admire an aircraft carrier, eat a meatless sausage, sit under a sun lamp, wear a Burberry trench coat, or set your clock ahead for daylight saving time, you are reaching back to commune with World War I.
[399 words]

[Time 3]
The dawn of chemical weapons

World War I's new weapons caused previously unseen and horrific kinds of injuries, and scientists raced to develop protections against them -- or to make even more lethal versions to use against the enemy. Poison gas was first used on a mass scale by the Germans in April 1915 during the second battle of Ypres, and cloths strapped over the mouth and nose were at first the only protection.

Gas masks evolved quickly, though, and by the end of the war even some horses and dogs at the front had their own. The horrors of gas attacks resonate today in the reports of chemical weapons use in Syria, and, earlier, in Saddam Hussein's Iraq, and the world still struggles to contain them.

All told, more than 9 million died in the conflict, and 21 million were wounded, psychologically scarring a generation. Soldiers were at pains to explain this new human experience of battle to those back home.

The English poet Siegfried Sassoon had this to say in 1917 about his time at the front: "I'm back from hell/With loathsome thoughts to sell/Secrets of death to tell;/ And horrors from the abyss." Many others had no more words: these victims of "war exhaustion," (the label of shell shock became more common) had trouble speaking: they are the forefathers of veterans with post-traumatic stress disorder today.

Likewise the scale and type of physical injuries challenged the ingenuity of prosthesis designers, whose work to replace lost body parts would enable countless soldiers to return to productive civilian life, a process echoed today as soldiers from recent wars recover from the toll of roadside bombs.

World War I also set the stage for future conflicts, by breaking down barriers between military and civilian life. While soldiers fought at the battlefront, civilian women and men built their weapons, distributed food and propaganda, and kept the home front running. Women gained new visibility in society, moving into the jobs vacated by enlisted men.

They drove streetcars, smelted iron, built bombs and then, after a long day at the factory, scrounged for food for their families. Civilians working for the war effort meant that anyone could be a target: German Fokker planes attacked at the front, but Zeppelin airships bombed London and Paris. "Total war" made the home front a dangerous place.

This war left few things unchanged in its path, even in lands that saw no fighting. Although it was mainly fought in Europe, it awakened many to the scope and diversity of the planet. "The entire world is participating in the war!" a French almanac exclaimed in 1917, showing its readers a map of the world divided into enemy, ally, and neutral peoples. Whether as laborers or soldiers, Europeans went to other countries, and millions of Americans, Africans and Asians came to Europe.
[473 words]

[Time 4]
'Trapped in a net of woe'

More than two million United States soldiers fought in Europe, and the British and French empires brought over their colonial subjects. "We perish in the desert; you wash yourself and lie in bed," wrote an Indian soldier to his wife in September 1915. "We are trapped in a net of woe; while you go free. Our life is a living death."

How did Europe arrive at this state of catastrophe? The assassination of Austrian-Hungarian Archduke Franz Ferdinand and his wife, Sophie, on June 28, 1914 by the Bosnian Serb Gavrilo Princip caused an international crisis that led in just over a month to multiple mobilizations.

The Archduke, traveling in an open car, was in Sarajevo to inspect imperial armed forces in Bosnia and Herzegovina, which were among the former Ottoman territories annexed by Austria-Hungary in 1908, angering Serbian nationalists such as Princip.

After the assassination, Austria-Hungary gave Serbia an ultimatum, causing Russia to intervene to protect its Serbian client state, and Germany to help its Austrian ally. And so it all began: the military obligations imposed by the system of alliances drew one power after another into combat.

All parties thought the war would be a short one; none imagined the speed with which the conflict would degenerate into a series of local atrocities (the Belgians became the conflict's first group of refugees, as they fled German rape and plunder) and mass slaughter across many fronts.

The habituation to violence and the acceptance of these lethal new inventions is one of World War I's most unfortunate legacies. Chemical weapons provides a case in point. Their effectiveness, as proved by the precedent of World War I, has given them a permanent place in many state arsenals, despite the paper trail of international agreements meant to ban their use. Democracies and dictatorships (France and Italy) both used them in the interwar period as agents of colonial conquest and rule, and Syria is the most recent example of their use.

As we approach this 100-year anniversary, each combatant country is remembering the war in its own way. In America, the echo has been fainter, due as much to the country's late entry into the war (April 1917) as to the prominence of World War II.

"The First World War is not well understood or remembered in the United States, U.S. Defense Secretary Robert Gates said at a 2008 Veterans Day ceremony at which the last living American combatant, Frank Buckles, who died in 2011, was present. "Yet few events have so markedly shaped the world we live in."

At war's end in 1918, America emerged from its 18 months of combat with a raft of new legislation that is still in force -- such as the Selective Service Act, which still today allows the President to draft soldiers, and the Espionage Act, used recently to charge Chelsea Manning and Edward Snowden -- and with a new status as an international power.

A century of debates over how and whether America should intervene in global crises would lie ahead.
[511 words]

Source: CNN Opinion
http://edition.cnn.com/2014/06/11/opinion/ben-ghiat-world-war-one/index.html

World War I: A time of upheaval
French soldiers sing the national anthem at the beginning of World War I in August 1914. This "war to end all wars" might seem like ancient history, but it changed the world forever. It transformed the way war was fought, upended cultures and home life and stimulated innovations that affect us today. With more than 30 combatant nations and nearly 70 million men mobilized, World War I profoundly destabilized the international order.

How World War I gave us 'cooties'
Jonathan Lighter  |  June 20, 2014

[Time 5]
(CNN) -- The Brits called it the "Great War." To the Yanks, it was the "World War." No one wanted to think there could be a second. Though World War I, which began 100 years ago next month, devastated lives and landscapes, its effect on language was almost paradoxically positive. It spawned hundreds of new words and popularized scores of old ones. Many of them survive today -- there are "cooties," "camouflage," "scrounge" and "dud," for example -- but many have lost their once-widely recognized associations with the war that was hoped would "end war."

Total war, as the world twice found out in the past century, is a turbulent time. It is for language, too. As new concerns, new methods, new technologies and new experiences multiply, vocabulary by necessity tries to keep up.

Obscure old words can get a new lease on life. World War I gave the English language new terms as varied as "blimp" and "Boches" and "devil dog" and even "D-Day." It popularized military slang like "doughboy" and "fed up." It dragooned older terms for wider application, such as "Yank" and "no-man's land."

Some words prominent in 1914-18 have pretty much fallen from use. Others remain as well-known as the war's idealistic slogans, like H. G. Wells' call for "a war to end wars" and Woodrow Wilson's to make the world "safe for democracy."

As a multilingual war, it promptly enriched the English language with terms of international origin. Air reconnaissance made military and naval "camouflage," another French word, a necessity. The same might be said of the French 75 cocktail, named for the war's most effective artillery piece. And historians writing in English still use the Gallic "poilu" for a French combat soldier and "Boches" for the Germans.

Older terms and nicknames sometimes gained new popularity that guaranteed they'd remain in English long after soldiers returned home. George M. Cohan's smash hit "Over There" (1917) was the catchiest American patriotic song ever, and when he wrote that "The Yanks are coming," he followed the British, not the American, use of the Civil War term to encompass all Americans, north and south of the Mason-Dixon Line.

"Doughboy" was a new one on most people, but it had meant an infantryman since the Mexican-American War of the 1840s, for no very clear reason; now, it's the usual synonym for the American soldier of the First World War. "Leatherneck," which also looked new but wasn't, denoted the U.S. Marine, whose 19th-century uniform had featured a high leather collar that sailors ridiculed.
[423 words]

[Time 6]
A Wisconsin newspaper claimed in 1918 that the Germans thought American Marines fought like Teufelhunden, or "devil dogs"; the supposedly German word sounds ersatz, but the English version is still heard in the Corps. (Sailors were "gobs"; fliers were "birdmen"; pals were "buddies": all pre-war, all truly mainstream for the first time in 1914-18.) "G.I.," which meant only "galvanized iron" and "government issue" in World War I, eventually became the World War II term for a U.S. soldier.

The everyday life of those soldiers spawned many words and expressions. When kids talk of "cooties," they don't realize what everyone knew by 1918: It was a new term for lice, which burrowed into the clothes of any and all who served on the front lines. "Chow," for food, owes its popularity mostly to the U.S. military of World War I. From the British came the expressions "to scrounge" (to search for and, if necessary, pilfer), "cushy" (enviably comfortable) and "fed up" (disgusted with it all), three salient soldier concepts in any war.

Trench warfare became a sinister science, as front-line troops of every army hunkered down for hundreds of miles in conditions of appalling filth and danger. Playwright George Bernard Shaw, an opponent of the war, popularized the once-uncommon phrase "cannon fodder," which suggested that soldiers of all nations had been impersonally requisitioned to feed the guns or duped into enlisting by interchangeably imperialist rulers.

To name what lay between the entrenched armies, modern English enlisted a phrase from the Middle Ages: "no-man's land." The shell-pocked muck between the opposing trenches, bounded by rotting sandbags and rusted heaps of barbed wire, gave the 14th-century meaning of "unowned or uninhabited territory" a much grimmer connotation.

Before World War I, a "dud" was anything or anybody unsatisfactory, but by the time the conflict ended, "dud" referred chiefly to an unexploded shell or bomb, as it does to this day. The British began speaking of defensive "foxholes," dug not by foxes but by soldiers on the battlefield, a word that now may seem as old as shooting wars themselves.

The adjustment of a rifle's battle-sight was "zeroing in," a metaphor today's English can't do without. Then there's "D-Day": the very first was September 26, 1918, the starting date of the war-ending Allied offensive in the Argonne Forest.

Familiar now as an advertising platform, the helium-filled "blimp" was invented for naval observation in 1915. The British came up with the armored "tank" and named it arbitrarily to keep the weapon secret before its surprise appearance in the Battle of the Somme in 1916.
[428 words]

[The Rest]
The threat of "chemical warfare" and "chemical weapons" had been discussed in the press, but their actual use by Germany in 1915, first in Poland and then in Belgium, raised the war's quotient of barbarism. The Allies quickly followed suit. "Air raids," which began on a small scale in 1914, were carried out by four-winged bombers and German Zeppelins.

The idea of bomb-laden squadrons of Zeppelins over London may seem like something from Victorian science fiction, and it was novelist H.G. Wells (author of "War of the Worlds") who invented the most ominous phrase of all.

In 1914, he imagined a device that might appear within a generation, whose destructive power would change everything forever. Wells warned that eventually "any little body of malcontents could use it." As though in prophecy of the long shadow the 1914-18 war would cast on the 20th century, Wells coined a now-familiar term for his imaginary superweapon that he believed could easily "wreck half a city."

He called it "the atomic bomb."
[168 words]

Source: CNN Opinion
http://edition.cnn.com/2014/06/20/opinion/lighter-world-war-i-language/index.html?hpt=op_t1

本帖子中包含更多资源

x
板凳
 楼主| 发表于 2014-6-21 23:27:47 | 只看该作者
Part III: Obstacle

British soldiers enter Baghdad in 1919.
(Photo: © British Bureau Of Information/National Geographic Society/Corbis)

The Disintegration of the Iraqi State Has Its Roots in World War I
——Created by European powers, the nation of Iraq may be buckling under the pressure of trying to unite three distinct ethnic groups
Scott Anderson  |  June 19, 2014

[Paraphrase 7]
When Serbian nationalists conspired to assassinate the Archduke Franz Ferdinand and his wife in Sarajevo on June 28, 1914, they lit the fuse that would, six weeks later, explode into World War I. The fallout from those murders, and the ghastly legacy of the entire war, extend far beyond the time frame of the late 1910s. Nor were they limited to Europe; the war’s effects are as fresh as the grisly stories and images coming out of Iraq today.

For nearly 400 years prior to World War I, the lands of Iraq existed as three distinct semi-autonomous provinces, or vilayets, within the Ottoman Empire. In each of these vilayets, one of the three religious or ethnic groups that predominated in the region – Shiite, Sunni and Kurd – held sway, with the veneer of Ottoman rule resting atop a complex network of local clan and tribal alliances. This delicate system was undone by the West, and for an all-too-predictable reason: oil.

In order to raise an Arab revolt against the Ottomans, who had joined with Germany and Austria-Hungary in World War I, Great Britain forged a wartime alliance with Emir Hussein of the Hejaz region of Arabia, now the western edge of Saudi Arabia bordered by the Red Sea. The 1915 pact was a mutually advantageous one.  Since Hussein was an extremely prominent Islamic religious figure, the guardian of the holy cities of Mecca and Medina, the alliance inoculated the British against the Ottoman accusation that they were coming into the Middle East as Christian Crusaders. In return, Britain’s promises to Hussein were extravagant: independence for virtually the entire Arab world.

What Hussein didn’t know was that, just months after reaching this accord, the British government secretly made a separate – and very much conflicting – pact with their chief ally in World War I, France.  Under the terms of the Sykes-Picot Agreement, the future independent Arab nation was to be relegated to the wastelands of the Arabian peninsula, while all the most politically and commercially valuable portions of the Arab world – greater Syria, Mesopotamia – would be carved into British and French imperial spheres.

This double-cross was finally laid bare at the postwar Paris Peace Conference in 1919, and solidified at the San Remo Conference in April 1920.  Under the terms of these imperial agreements, France was to be given much of greater Syria – essentially the modern-day borders of that country, along with Lebanon - while the British would possession of the vast swath of the Arab world just below, an expanse stretching from Palestine in the west all the way to Iraq.

But if history has shown that it’s always risky to divide a historical homeland, as the British and French had done in greater Syria, even more perilous is to create an artificial nation – and this is precisely what the British had done in Iraq.

In the promises made to Emir Hussein back in 1915 regarding future Arab independence, one of the very few “modifications” the British asked for was in the two southern vilayets of Iraq, where oil had been discovered; here, London suggested, “special administrative arrangements” would have to be made.

By war’s end, however, oil had also been discovered in the vilayet of Mosul, just to the north, and Britain cast its covetous gaze there, as well. Since the promise of Arab independence was already a dead letter, the solution was quite simple: the “nation” of Iraq was created by fusing the three Ottoman provinces into one and put under direct British control.

Naturally, Britain didn’t present this as the land-grab that it truly was. To the contrary, there was much high-minded talk of the altruistic nature of their mission, of how, after a sufficiently civilizing period of Western tutelage, the locals might be allowed to govern themselves. When the ungrateful locals balked at this notion, the British simply dismissed the officials and bureaucrats of the former regime, ignored the tribal leaders, and placed their new vassal state under the direct administration of British civil servants and soldiers.   

To the few Britons who actually had some familiarity with that corner of the Arab world, the signs of impending calamity were unmistakable. Among them was T.E. Lawrence, better known as “Lawrence of Arabia.” As Lawrence wrote to a newspaper editor in September 1919 in regard to the simmering tensions in Iraq, “if we do not mend our ways, [I] will expect revolt there about March next.”

Lawrence was only off on his timetable, with the revolt actually coming in June 1920. Caught completely off-guard was the local British administration. Within weeks, hundred of their soldiers and civil servants had been killed, with the rebellion only eventually put down by a “surge” of British troops and severe military reprisals, including the dropping of poison gas on tribal insurgents.

In a belated effort to defuse the crises in Iraq and elsewhere in the Middle East – throughout the region, Arabs seethed at having traded their Ottoman overseers for European ones – the British government hastily appointed Winston Churchill as Colonial Secretary in early 1921.  One of the first people Churchill turned to for help was Lawrence the war hero and champion of the Arab independence cause. As a result of the Cairo Conference that March, one of Emir Hussein’s sons, Faisal, was made king of Iraq, while another son, Abdullah, was placed on the throne of the newly-created kingdom of Jordan.

Emir Hussein's son Faisal at the Versailles peace conference in 1919 with his delegates and advisors: (left to right) his private secretary and fellow delegate Rustem Haidar, Brigadier General Nuri Said of Baghdad, Captain Pisani of France, Col. T. E. Lawrence, and Hassan Kadri.
(Photo: © Bettmann/CORBIS)

But whereas the ‘artificial nation’ of Jordan would eventually achieve some degree of political stability and cohesion, the same could never truly be said of its Iraq counterpart.  Instead, its history would be marked by a series of violent coups and rebellions, with its political domination by the Sunni minority simply deepening its sectarian fault lines. After repeatedly intervening to defend their fragile creation, the British were finally cast out of Iraq in the late 1950s, their local allies murdered by vengeful mobs.

If all this sounds vaguely familiar, it’s for very good reason: the disastrous British playbook of 1920 was almost precisely replicated by the United States in 2003. This time, of course, it was to ‘free’ the Iraqi people from the despotic rule of Saddam Hussein and his Baathist party, a campaign that, many in the U.S. government agreed, would result in the invading American troops being hailed as “liberators” by a grateful local populace. Just as in Lawrence’s day, the naysayers to this rosy scenario were simply ignored as the occupying mandarins, this time known as the Coalition Provisional Authority, blithely embarked on a “de-Baathification” policy, cashiering the Iraqi military and purging its civilian administration of Baathist loyalists, that all but wiped out the local structure of governance.

To an even greater degree than the British in 1920, it seemed the Americans in 2003 never really considered the role that sectarian and clan and tribal allegiances might assume in the resulting power vacuum – indeed, there is scant evidence they were even aware of them – and within months they had a full-blown insurgency on their hands.

The American misadventure in Iraq has proven to be by far the more ruinous one. At least its British forebear had the unintended consequence of uniting – however briefly – Iraq’s fractured population in opposition to their rule, whereas the more recent occupation spawned sectarian divides that remained  when the U.S. withdrew its forces in 2011.

The result over the past decade has been the gradual dismantling of the Iraqi nation. Long gone, either to their graves or to foreign exile, have been the country’s relatively small communities of Christians and Yazidis, adherents of a religious splinter sect in northern Iraq long derided by both Sunni and Shiite Muslims as “devil worshippers.” Most devastating has been the eruption of the Islamic Shia-Sunni schism into sectarian slaughter. Vast swatches of the Shiite-majority regions of southern Iraq have been “ethnically-cleansed” of their Sunni minorities, while precisely the same fate has befallen the Shiite in Sunni-dominant regions. This purging has extended down to the village, and even city neighborhood, level.  Amidst this quagmire, the Kurds of northern Iraq, who long ago effectively seceded from the rest, are establishing their own government complete with their own military and border controls.  For those who, in 2003, worried that the American mission in Iraq might become an extended exercise in “nation-building” precisely the opposite has proven true.
[1494 words]

Source: Smithsonian
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/disintegration-iraqi-state-has-its-roots-world-war-i-180951793/

本帖子中包含更多资源

x
地板
发表于 2014-6-21 23:32:59 | 只看该作者
沙发!明晚交作业!

Time 2-4
World War 1 began a hundred years ago this summer.
For many of us, the only memory of this war comes from the chapter in history book or the scenes in black-and-white movies.
Everything about that war seems to be far away from our life, but in reality, the war has changed the way we live in almost every aspect.
Example:
1 rewrote history
2 the weapon and the strategy
3 new staff such as napkins, aircraft, meatless sausage and so on

chemical weapons
pison gas-gas masks-pain-damage
future conflicts
-break down barriers between militart and civilian life.
-total war
-the flowing of whether laborers or soldiers

The beginning of the war
The millitarial effct of the war
The relationship between the war and America

Time5-6
The new words derived during the World War 1.
(这类文章读起来感觉智商很捉急啊.....)

掌管 7        00:08:10.46        00:22:30.33
掌管 6        00:00:16.15        00:14:19.86
掌管 5        00:01:55.41        00:14:03.71
掌管 4        00:02:37.43        00:12:08.29
掌管 3        00:03:43.13        00:09:30.85
掌管 2        00:03:09.12        00:05:47.72
掌管 1        00:02:38.59        00:02:38.59
又被主页菌催进度了,好惭愧啊!!!最近脑子各种不够用啊!!!!

5#
发表于 2014-6-21 23:46:49 | 只看该作者
谢谢LZ~ 明早就坐~
Speaker:
writing my book. obsess understand mountain range coastal out plain
S? connector gorgeous
teaching function find the way
occupy split two armies single combat
giant terrified young boy ridiculous
walk down closer cut his head Goliath David
improper victory experience
3 kinds of warrior  equipment
special rock and … accuracy
decisive weapons
came up to me  hand in hand fight
Goliath slow react acrobatic
giants are not strong and powerful as they might be seen   
Time2: 2'08" 187 word/min
the effects of WWI: forever changed  the history; produced new way of fighting; put new objects and word into our daily life.
Time3: 2'08" 221 word/min
WWI first used chemical weapons -> caused causalities and was horrible to the generation -> the weapon was still used today
WWI changed women's position in way -> distributed weapons and propaganda
WWI made home no longer  a safe place-> made up the concept of "total war"
Time4:2'37" 195 word/min
how ordinary people felt the war: trapped in a net of woe -> how the war began -> an assassniation -> what followed beyond everybody's imagination -> the outcame of the war: chemical weapon became pervasive -> the war was horrible but Americans begin to foeget it
Time5:2'18 183 word/min
WWI made up new words, borrowed words from other language or gave old words new meaning.
Time6: 2'06" word/min
as I mentioned above, more details
Obstacle: word/min
pretty complex
background information of Iraq and WWI -> what Britain and France did to achieve success -> what's the measures consequence -> deeper effects -> … - -

6#
发表于 2014-6-21 23:56:48 | 只看该作者
占~~~~~~~~~

Speaker: The spearker analysis the fight between David and Goliath.In this fight,David was actually not a underdog.He had good weapon and equipment to help him win the fight.And the acromegaly of giant Goliath leaded to his weird behavior.And the giant is not as strong and powerful as we thought.So all these can explain the result of this story.

01:42
The remote World War I actually affects us a lot.It rewrote history at the grandest level.World War I upended the way war was fought.And it also put new objects and words into circulation.

02:10
Scientists raced to invent new weapons and protections against them.The result is chemical weapon and poison gas.The war also set the stage for future conflicts by breaking down the barrier between military and civilian.

02:35
The cause of Word War I.No one had expected that the war would last so long.And many new inventions of weapons left a lot problems.Many countries have their own way to remeber this war.

02:11
The World War I was also a big event in language world.The war created many new words and gave many old word new meanings.Several examples are given.

02:50
More examples are given.

09:40
Main Idea: The root of the disintegration of Iraq came from Word War I
During World War I,Britain connected three distinct semi-autonomous provinces of Ottomans Empire to be independent and gave them help.Because Ottomans Empire was the ally of Germany.And in each of these three provinces,ne of the three religious or ethnic groups that predominated in the region – Shiite, Sunni and Kurd.
After the war end,Britain and Frace wanted to break their promise and gained the dominace at that area.But this kind of dividing homeland behavior is always a risky one.Britain tried to present itself not as a land-graber that it actually was.So rebellion happened and Arab got the indepence they wanted.
But the stability did not came to Iraq any longer.Because of the conflict between this three groups,small conflict never disappeared.And in 2003,the americans came and did what similar to British had done.All for oil.
The mess is Iraq now is historical.
7#
发表于 2014-6-22 08:22:43 | 只看该作者
Thank you, tutu ~~
----Speaker
Main idea: The speaker used the story ofDavid and Goliath to tell that a giant may not as strong as it seems, and theeffeminate-looking man can use his intelligence to defeat the giant byprecisely target at its weakness.
Details: the explanations of the featuresof David and Goliath.

----Speed
[Time 2] 2'07''
The effects of World War I continue until today, and they are all around us. It rewrote history at the grandest level,boosted the development of new weapons, helped develop new war strategy, harmed the soldiers and environments, and influenced art and literatures.     (upend:颠倒)(traumatize:使……受损伤)
[Time 3]2'40''
With the development of chemical weapons in the World War I, gas masks were used as countermeasure on both soldiers and war animals. The war left such irreparable damages on both the bodies and minds of soldiers. Various types of body damages challenged the prosthesis designers. (prosthesis:假体)
World War I also developed future conflicts.
Not only soldiers in Europe, soldiers from other states were also awakened to join the war.
[Time 4]2'17''
Many American soldiers joined the war,and the war 'trapped in a net of woe'.
The blasting fuse of war was an assassination. Out of expectation, the war had become a long one.
Countries were getting used to violence and lethal new inventions. (assassination: 暗杀)
Americans do not well understand and remembered the World War I.
[Time 5] 2'01''
The World War I increased the English vocabulary, and enriched the English language with terms of international origin. Besides, older terms and nicknames sometimes gained new popularity during the war. (cooties: 虱子)
[Time 6] + [The rest]1'56''
Various kinds of new terms that were related to the war.

----Obstacles 11‘49
Main idea: The disintegration of the Iraqistate can trace back to the time of World War I.
Prior to World War I,Britain broke the promise toHussein of independence for virtually the entire Arab world, and secretly allied with Franceat Hussein's back. Eventually, all the most politically and commerciallyvaluable portions of the Arab world were given to Britainand France.
What the British had done in Iraq gave a lesson that it's very perilous to create an artificial nation, which was created by fusing the three Ottoman provinces into one, and was created out of Britian's desire to have direct control of the oil usage in Arabs. It was truly a land-grab.
T.E. Lawrence had already noticed the simmering tensions in Iraq, and warned that revolt might happen if Britain didn't mend their ways. Such revolt did actually come in June 1920. The British government hastilyappointed certain people to defuse the crises in Iraq, but it failed to defend their fragile artificial nation, and was cast out of Iraqin the late 1950s. United State srepeated the disastrous British playbook in 2003, and their misadventure in Iraq is a far more ruinous one.
Finally, the experiences of the past decade have led to the gradual dismantling of the Iraqi nation.
这真是一篇Obstacle文,生词多,好不容易等到早上脑子清醒的时候才能静下心做,还是借助有道词典理解...惭愧!!!
8#
发表于 2014-6-22 09:06:59 | 只看该作者
谢谢楼主~~~~~

Time2 3'30
World War I seems far from us today, but it is not true. The influence of the World War I is so tremendous that it effect us anywhere and anytime. It rewrote the history, it invented new weapons and even the napkins.

Time3 4'39
Chemical weapons, like poison gas which made horrific injuries was used in this war. Survivers from the war had various psychological problems in their last life. Women began to work in the factories to support the war.

Time4 3'57
War made the Europe as a hell, while empires left to still enjoy their life. At the time of the 100-year anniversary, every countries who had involved in this war is remembering it in their ways, but U.S. seems quietly. U.S. is a special country in this war, its entry is late, but its obtaining is huge.

Time5-6 7'49
World War I has postive effect on language. It brings new words and spreads.

9#
发表于 2014-6-22 09:18:43 | 只看该作者
今天积累了好多战争相关的生词,技能√ 好多。。。
也重新认识了下伊拉克问题的渊源和一战诸如此类的影响。以前就很好奇剪不断理还乱的伊拉克,感觉印象里=恐怖分子。想想人家真不容易,说白了就是oil和religion。
一战累计下来的那些词也很有趣:
leatherneck 海军陆战队
cannon fodder炮灰
zeroing in 患难见真情

[speaker]
bible story about giant and shepherd.
Giants are not as strong and powerful as they seem. And sometimes the shepherd boy has a sling in his pocket.

[time2]-[time4]
1-the causes, lost. WW1 change the world forever,effects
2-support:rewrote,upended way,new objexct and word,
3-chemical weapon,all in
bad result: death,pain,new experience
stage for future conflict,women
4-how the war began
5-remembering
carnage大屠杀=slaughter
louse虱子
abyss无底洞
woe悲痛,灾难
ultimatum最后通牒

dictatorship
[time5]-[time6]
1-WW1 effect on language:new words spawn, old words popularize
2-result today: some fallen,some well-known,enrich
salient显著的,重要的
hunker down蹲下
filth 污物
dupe into 受骗
barbarism野蛮的行为
ominous不祥的,预兆的=sinister
malcontent 不满的,不满者

[obstacle]
1-prior Irap, 3, oil
2-B and F split them
3-B break the treaty
4-L revolt adn failed
5-Churchill on, 2 countries born
6-B cast out
7- US in,2003
8-US out,2011
9-result:gradual dismantling

disintegration 瓦解
perilous危险的
impending calamity 即将发生的灾难
revolt起义  
rebellion叛乱= insurgency
seethe激怒
despotic暴虐的专横的
purging清除
blithely 快活地
spawn 酿成

10#
发表于 2014-6-22 12:55:32 | 只看该作者
speaker
there was a battle between two countries. however becausethe geographic situation, the two armies decide to have a one-to-one combat.Since the enemy is a giant person, no one in the native country’s army waswilling to fight him. Then a shepherd asked if he could fight him withoutweapons but some stones. The giant said come to me. He expected a hand-to-handfight, but it turned that the shepherd only had some stones. The giant lost,because he could not see the shepherd clear.
Main point: sometimes a person’s strongest power can behis most vulnerable weakness.
[speed]
2:01
3:15
3:36
2:30
time6+warm up 4:10
[obstacle]
10:10
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-4-19 18:14
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部