[阅读小分队] 【Native Speaker每日综合训练—37系列】【37-15】文史哲

[复制链接]
发表于 2014-6-8 22:58:42 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
内容:铁板神猴&pennyz  编辑:pennyz&AceJ

Stay tuned to our latest post! Follow us here --->
http://weibo.com/u/3476904471

Part I: Speaker

Competing in Business

Yoko: We used to be the only game in town. Now we have three competitors and they are luring away our customers.

Cedric: I know. We need to do something before we go under. What about price matching?

Yoko: Our prices are already competitive. If we want to focus on price, we’ll need to undercut our competitors.

Cedric: Slashing prices would be really hard on our profit margin, but these are desperate times. What do you think of a two-for-one deal? We could offer it for a limited time.

Yoko: We can do that if lowering our prices doesn’t work. I’m thinking we could go in another direction. What do you think about offering freebies or gifts with purchase?

Cedric: I think that’s a good idea. The more frills we include the better our services look. What kind of frills?

Yoko: I’m not sure, but the more bells and whistles the better.

Cedric: And if all of this doesn’t work?

Yoko: Then we’ll be up the creek without a paddle!

Source: ESLPOD
http://www.eslpod.com/website/show_podcast.php?issue_id=14914702#
[Rephrase 1, 18:10]

本帖子中包含更多资源

您需要 登录 才可以下载或查看,没有帐号?立即注册

x
 楼主| 发表于 2014-6-8 22:58:43 | 显示全部楼层
Part II: Speed

If I Were 22: Advice From a B Student
Mark Weinberger/Chairman and CEO EY

[Time 2]

When I attended Case Western Reserve University School of Law and the Weatherhead School of Management, I was an “OK” student. At least I thought so. My professors probably wouldn’t remember me as a standout. Now, why would anyone want to take any advice from me? That’s a really good question.

I worked hard at graduate school, and I enjoyed my time there. But here’s what I would tell my 22-year-old self back then: There is more than one path to a successful career and a satisfying life.

Don’t get me wrong: A high GPA is a worthy goal and great achievement. But, learning how you learn, and what your passion is, is more important than what you learn. At the end of the day, your relationships, experiences and the risks you take are going to have an equal or greater impact on your accomplishments.

Let me tell you a little bit about my experience after finishing graduate law and business school:

•I spent a decade in government without ever studying politics;

•I started my own law and lobbying firm without ever actually practicing law before;

•I now run a global professional services firm even though my primary training is as a lawyer and economist.

Do you see a pattern? And, with that, here’s the advice I’d offer to current 22-year olds:

[222 words]

[Time 3]

Stay open to every possibility

You are the CEO of your own life. You can chart your own path. Only you can decide where you go once you walk out of school, so stay open to every possibility – because school has prepared you to do more than you can imagine.

I have constantly tried to challenge myself to take on new risks and experiences. My lesson is don’t feel limited by the degree you’ve received. The kind of skills that are more necessary in this century are the ability to think critically, to take on any challenge that comes your way, to construct an argument – and stick by it.

Within a few years, many of you will be working jobs that didn’t even exist a decade ago. Remember, you may change your career entirely several times. And that’s exciting.

As you’re traveling through this changing world, the most important thing you can do is to keep learning your whole life. And never be afraid of anything, even if it’s totally new or completely unknown. That way, when your big opportunity comes along, you’ll be ready to seize it.

The world will find your limitations. Only you will find your opportunities.

This is a world with more opportunities available to you than any previous generation. It’s a world where 147 of the Fortune 500 companies are headquartered in emerging markets. Nine years ago, it was fewer than 50. It’s a world where 90 percent of all the data that exists was created in the past two years.

The world is changing, and it’s changing fast. This is no time to think about limits.

The future is never made by those who focus on limitations. It is made by people who focus on possibilities. History is made by people who understand that they might not be able to control all of their circumstances – but they can control their attitude.

When you walk into a room, bring possibilities with you. Don’t be a person who only thinks of the downside, who sucks life out of the room. No one wants that person at their table. So go out there, pursue different opportunities and find your seat at the table. No one else will do it for you.

[374 words]

[Time 4]

Find balance, keep your commitments

As much as you focus on your seat at the conference table, your seat at the dinner table is just as important. Eventually you’re going to build lives and families that matter to you more than any job. That’s a good thing; it’s the bestthing. But I’m not going to lie to you; it’s also tough.

No matter what you do in life, it's human nature to think about what you're not doing somewhere else. That’s why I believe so strongly in finding a balance between your work life and your home life.

I was at one of my first leadership meetings in China giving a speech that I had prepared hard for. I was a little nervous, and wanted to make a good impression. In answering a question, I had to admit that I was leaving the meeting early because I had another commitment: My daughter was taking her driving test, and I’d promised to be there. I left the meeting, got on a plane and made it home to take her to the test. (Yes, she passed.) No one remembered my great speech that day, but I received hundreds of emails admiring my decision to keep my commitment to my daughter.

I love my job, and it’s been one of my most humbling opportunities. But when I was chosen as CEO, I had a condition: No matter where I am in the world, I need to be home every weekend.

Finding that balance between your career and the rest of your life is crucial. No matter how fast your career is moving, you need to stop occasionally and evaluate what really matters to you. If the life you’re building doesn’t leave enough room for the people and things that you love, then you need to stop and change course.

[306 words]

[Time 5]

Never forget who you are or where you came from

My last advice is also my best advice. It’s something I learned from my dad. No matter where I went or what I achieved, he always said the same thing: “Mark, never forget who you are or where you came from.”

Whenever I got a promotion, I would call him, and he would congratulate me. But then he would say, "Remember: I love you no matter what your title is." To me, those words were more important than any achievement. They meant it all.

Don’t forget who you are and who helped get you to this point. Maintaining that unique perspective will help you continue to reach new heights as you build your career.

Final thoughts

Today’s 22-year olds are worldlier, more technologically advanced, more connected and more socially aware than any before. You’ve lived with almost no barriers restricting your access to information, people or nations – and you won’t let any barriers restrict your success, either.

The ingredients for success are already in your hands. Now you just need to work – and take risks – to seize all that potential and build an incredible life. You now have a great opportunity to make your imprint on history. So, please, go out there and take this chance. In fact, take a lot of chances. I can’t wait to see what your generation does next.

[233 words]

Source:linkedin
http://www.linkedin.com/today/post/article/20140528223252-221472969-if-i-were-22-advice-from-a-b-student

What McKinsey consultants think they can teach bankers
by Julia Lemarchand

[Warm up]

When consultants get pedagogic

There are things that strategy consultants know and the rest of the world doesn’t. If you’re in any doubt as to the truth of this statement, check out this post on Quora by an ex-McKinsey consultant who claims to have some special insights to share with the world at large. The ex-consultant in question is Robert Barham, who spent two years at McKinsey before leaving to join the ‘internet industry.’

This is what Barham thinks he can impart:

[82 words]

[Time 6]

1. Think diagrammatically

Consultancy types believe life is far simpler if you configure problems in a logical and schematic way. Got a problem? Dissect it. Look at the paths you can take and their likely outcomes.

“Our brains function like diagrams,” opines Barham. To illustrate this, he offers the diagram below.

2. Let figures do the talking

Diagrams have a place. So do figures. If you employ figures to tell your story, you can help change clients’ opinions – but only if you have an instinct for finding the story behind the figures and explaining its meaning. This is what consultants have, says Barham. They know it’s not just about presenting a collection of figures, but presenting a version of reality – which is often complex and nuanced.

3. Speak to your manager every week

Some people in the banking industry interact with their managers rarely. This is not the case in consulting. In consulting weekly meetings with managers are the norm according to Barham. He says that consultants at McKinsey have weekly manager meetings that last anything from 30 minutes to one hour. During this time they will be thoroughly debriefed on the projects they’re working on. Every six months they’re also subject to an exhaustive formal evaluation. Barham says this time is “extremely precious.” If you’re going to develop at work, you need to know what you’re doing right and what you’re doing wrong.

4. Know how to work in teams

Bankers like to think they can work in teams. At Goldman Sachs, teamwork is one of the golden behaviours that will get you hired.  But bankers’ team working abilities are nothing compared to those of consultants. Barham says consultants are masters of team achievements because their teams switch very often, as dictated by projects and turnover. For these highly mutable teams to function, the consultants comprising them need to spend a lot of time interacting while the projects take place.

These interactions aren’t just about the work to be done. They also cover the personalities of the team members involved, their work styles and their competencies. This is how you really optimize a team says Barham. Succeeding at teamwork is as much to do with the way the team is consolidated as with the fact that several people are working together, he adds.

[385 words]
Source:efinancialcareers
http://news.efinancialcareers.com/cn-en/174403/mckinsey-co-consultants-think-can-teach-bankers/

本帖子中包含更多资源

x
 楼主| 发表于 2014-6-8 22:58:44 | 显示全部楼层
Part III: Obstacle

How to Job Hop Your Way to Long-Term Career Success
By Barbara Mannino / Published June 06, 2014
[Paraphrase 7]

If you’ve not considered quitting your job at least once, you may be living in the dark ages.

With the job market still in flux after the Great Recession, social media websites changing the way we apply for jobs and company paternalism out the door, the only thing that’s constant in this workforce is change, experts say.

Workers are no longer staying with an employer for their entire career and instead prefer to stay for two to three years and then move on.

Though the term job-hopping evokes mixed reactions from employment professionals, a recent CareerBuilder survey of more than 2,000 hiring managers and human resources professionals and over 3,000 workers shows 55% of employers have hired a job-hopper.

In fact, nearly one-third, 32%, say they have come to expect employees to change jobs frequently, especially younger workers who are trying to find footing for their long-term career in a still lackluster job market. Some employers even tout the potential advantage of job-hoppers, saying they bring a wealth of experience to firms, along with an eclectic perspective, says CareerBuilder’s Jennifer Grasz.

New York University professor Richard Lewis, a branding and marketing strategist and author of Why Hire Jennifer, says the expanded roles employers are requiring of employees are conducive to an environment in which employees can more easily change jobs. It used to be job descriptions had specificity to them, he says. Today, companies are requiring employees to go beyond one main job function and do the work previously done by several people. Demonstrating multiple skills that enable workers to go beyond a core function makes workers more marketable, Lewis explains.

Employers’ expanded expectations can be good news for recent graduates unsure of their long-term career projections. “One’s career is made up of all different industries, titles and verticals and is much broader than we thought years ago,” says Tamryn Hennessey, vice president of career services and public benefit initiatives at Rasmussen College. The challenges of workers changing careers and moving from one industry to another are outdated.

This reversal also helps older workers. Despite what the survey says about job-hopping being less acceptable as you age, experts say age is not the barrier it used to be when breaking into new careers. Admittedly, the older you are the harder it is to build a case and speak to a new opportunity, perhaps one that is even in a new industry, says Hennessey. On the other hand, she says older workers come equipped with a suitcase of positive and transferable experience and can be more insightful about their positive attributes.

Plus, many employers perceive job-hoppers to be adaptable, says Grasz. “Agility is an attractive attribute in an employee.”

Really Short Stays a Red Flag

While employers no longer expect long-term employment vows, some level of commitment is important, warns Grasz. A job-hopper has to stay with a company long enough to make an impact—and for the company to get a return on the costly investment of bringing a new employee onboard.

One red flag is the employee who changes jobs and leaves after a year or less. According to the CareerBuilder survey, 43% of employers view that person as a hands-off candidate.

Job-hopping just to gain a wealth of experience does not have value for long-term career success. “Whether you’re 22 or 62, if you don’t know exactly what makes you tick, it doesn’t matter what you do,” says Andrew LaCivita, author of Interview Intervention and founder of milewalk.

When it comes to factors that push workers out the door, workers list a micromanaging boss, a long commute and the absence of company-paid training as their top three reasons for leaving a job, according to LaCivita.

However, LaCivita, says that too many workers think that transitioning to a fresh job in a new company will fix things. In reality, the change could mean a new set of problems. “People just assume different is better,” he says. Workers take it for granted the aspects they like at their current job will be present in their new position, which is not necessarily the case. In fact, it’s unlikely, he says.

Part of the process of even considering a move is workers taking a good look at the things that fulfill them at their current post and figuring out how to maximize the experience.

What’s more, people tend to make decisions by comparing Job A against Job B and completely take themselves out of the equation. “It’s one of the worse techniques known to man,” LaCivita says, and leaves workers unarmed to get enough “intel” to determine whether a new position is actually a better fit.

LaCivita advises workers to look before they leap, and to consider whether slight alterations to a current position will create more overall job satisfaction. He says this will prevent you from feeling stagnant and allow you to navigate a path to success on your own terms.

Here’s what experts recommend workers take into account before moving to a new job:

Think long-term.  Think career, not “just a job.” Every opportunity should help you reach your career goal, says Grasz.

Build your brand. You may have an off-beat hobby or have lived through a hardship that is the essence of who you are, and experts recommend making this part of your career. Make the underlying character traits that enabled you to excel or prevail the focal point of your brand, says Lewis.

Keep current. Seek out tools, learning opportunities and internships that will help you pick up skills to keep current and master both the technical and social skills to meet today’s workplace head-on.

Make a list. Make a list of what drives your happiness. Don’t just focus on skill sets or technical attributes; broaden your list to include cultural considerations. If you identify 19 items and satisfy 17, you’ll be doing back flips, LaCivita says.

Listen to yourself. Self-awareness, not the opinion of family and friends, will enable you to determine whether a job opportunity is right for you, says LaCivita.

“Job-seekers who just want to be ‘taken in’ have more difficulty,” adds Lewis. “People who have a better sense of what they want have a better shot at getting there.”

[1036 words]

Source:Foxbusiness
http://www.foxbusiness.com/personal-finance/2014/06/06/how-to-job-hop-your-way-to-long-term-career-success/

本帖子中包含更多资源

x
发表于 2014-6-8 22:59:06 | 显示全部楼层
沙发~~~~~~~~~~~

Speaker: A dialogue about the strategy to compete with other companies in this area.
to lure away,to undercut,slash,desperate time,freebie,be upt the creek witohout a paddle.

00:45
There is more than one path to a successful career and a satisfying life.Learning how you learn and what your passion is is more important than what you learn.

01:22
Stay open to every possibility,and you are the CEO of your own life.The world will find your limitations.Only you will find your opportunities.The world is changing so fast that there is no time to think about limits.

01:12
Find the balance between work and life,Keep your commitments.

00:53
Never forget who you are,where you came from and who helped get you to this point. As a young man,you just need to work,take risks and seize all that potential and build an incredible life.

01:57
Things bankers can learn from consultant.Think diagrammatically which can make things simple. Let figures do the talking which is clear.Speak to your manager every week to know whether you are doing right.Know how to work in teams,teamwork is the most important.

06:21
Main Idea: how job-hopper can get long-term career success.
Workers prefer to stay for two to three years and then move on now instead of staying at one company for whole career.And there are more employers who prefer job-hoppers now.Younger workers wants to try different jobs to foot their long-term career.And employers like employees who have differnet experience and can do things beyong one main job and with multiple skills.
This is a good news to graduates who are not sure about their long-term carreer,and also helpful to old workers.
But sth is important to remeber to job-hoppers.You need to stay long enought to make impact and for the company to get a return on the costly investment of bringing a new employee onboard.Changing a job in one year or less is a red flag.Job-hopping just to gain a wealth of experience does not have value for long-term career success. You need to make yourself better and more valuable instead of just having more experience.
Advices before moving to a new job:Think long-term.Build your brand.Keep current.Make a list. Listen to yourself.
发表于 2014-6-8 23:20:53 | 显示全部楼层
占座!~~~
------------------
谢谢楼主!~~

speaker:
the two person are discussing about the ways to confront with the new competitor
they can provide some discount or some free deal

time2:
a high GPA is a worthy goal, but learning how you learn and what passion is more important
what you experience will have influence on your accomplishments
the experience of the author

time3:
stay open to every possibility
try to challenge yourself to take on new risks and experiences
only you will find your opportunities

time4:
find balance, keep your commitments
the experience of the author to give a speech he prepared hard

time5:
never forget who you are or where you came from
you have a great opportunity to make your imprint on history

time6:
what consultant can teach bankers
figure talks everything
speak to your manager
work in team, the interaction also covers the personalities of the team members involved

time7:
the frequency of changing jobs is higher than before and the website changes the way we find a job
it is easier for employees to change jobs from one industry to another
age is not the barrier it used to be when breaking into new careers
it is recommended that changing jobs so fast may hurt the reputation of the employee and have no impact on his career
some suggestions from advisor
发表于 2014-6-8 23:29:59 | 显示全部楼层
终于占到了首页地板    说明时常刷刷网页还是有惊喜滴嘛 哈哈
发表于 2014-6-8 23:31:45 | 显示全部楼层
占座~~~谢谢LZ!
Time2: 1'05" 204 word/min
A high GPA is worth pursuing, but there are also some valuable things to do at university. The author is an example and want to give us advice.
Time3: 1'48" 207 word/min
Advices:
Stay open to every possibilities.
Keep learning in your whole lifetime.
Focus on your opportunities instead of limitations.
Time4: 1'32" 200 word/min
Keep a balance between career and family. The author gives us an example about his decisions to  keep his promise to her daughter.
Time5: 1'02" 225 word/min
Remember who you are and where you come from and thank who helped you when you are in need. Today's generation will achieve more than that previous did. Take your chances.
Time6:2'46" 167 word/min
An ex-consultant advice to the bankers. Think in a sample way, dissect problems, let figures do the presentation, communicate to your manager very often and work in a team.
Obstacle:5'25" 191 word/min
This article is about hopping job.
People's new attitudes towards it. The advantage to do so. The disadvantage. Advice before hopping job.

发表于 2014-6-8 23:32:21 | 显示全部楼层
嘻嘻,这篇是我发的那篇的姐妹篇~~~VERY BENEFICIAL! Especially the obstacle part~~
----Speaker
Yoko was complaining that their new competitors took away their customers, thus Cedric suggested to countermeasures of price matching and two-for-one deal. Yoko didn't treat cutting prices as a good idea, and she recommended giving a better service by offering free gifts together with purchases. Cedric gave agreed so.

----Speed
[Time 2] 1'05''
The author said that apart from achieving a good grade, the most important things in college is to learn how to learn, and to know what your passion is.
The author took his own experience as an example.
[Time 3] 1'33''
Don't limit yourself, be brave to try all the available possibilities and challenge yourselves. The skills and the ability to think critically are more important.
keep learning, be positive, and seize opportunities.
[Time 4] 1'39''
Find balance between your work and your personal lives. Always think what matters the most to you.
[Time 5] 1'11''
Find balance between your work and your lives. Always reflex what matters the most to you.
[Time 6] 2'30''
What consultants can teach bankers:
1. Think and solve problems in a logical and diagrammatical way;
2. Employ figures to express and present a story or a version of reality so as to convince clients;
3. Communicate with managers weekly to know whether you have done your work right;
4. Work in teams to achieve success.

----Obstacles 6'29''
Job hopping has become more common and acceptable by employers nowadays.  It received different views from employment professionals. Employers’ expanded expectations can be good news for both current graduates, who are unsure where their career path is, and older workers.
However, it is noticeable that really short stays is considered as a bad sign. Sometimes, moving to a new job may not solve the problems you have in your current job. And there is not point to make a decision by comparing two jobs. Job hoppers need to think clearly before they leap.
Consider following recommendations before you leap:
1. Think in a long term way whether the job will help you reach your career goal;
2. Sometimes, the hardest time in your life may have the biggest contribution to your career;
3. Keep learning, and seize the day;
4. Know exactly of what are the things that drive your happiness in your job;
5. Do what you not others want yourself to do.

发表于 2014-6-8 23:38:34 | 显示全部楼层
还有一天考试!!

Time2(1:08)
The author is just a okay student in university, but successful now.
he says that learning how to learn and what your passion is is more important than a high GPA.
the author provide information about his path after graduating.

Time3(1:40)
advice:
stay open to every possibility in your life.
never feel limited.
the world has more opportunities than ever before, only if you don't limit yourself, can you seize the opportunity.

Time4(1:18)
find a balance between your work and family.
family and love are more important than you carrer, but tough.

Time5(1:03)
never forget who you are and where you came from.
this is a world without any barries in your access to information, people or nations, therefore you shouldn't let any barries on your way to success.

Time6(2:05)
things ex- McKinsey consultant said to bankers.
1. think diagrammatically. when you find a problem, work it out.your brain works like diagram.
2. let figures do the talk. you must use figures and analysis them to support your idea.
3. speak to your manager every week. there is manager meeting every week in McKinsey, and this meeting makes you know what you did is wrong.
4. work with teams.
发表于 2014-6-9 00:32:04 | 显示全部楼层
掌管 7        00:07:32.65        00:18:25.82
掌管 6        00:02:45.11        00:10:53.17
掌管 5        00:00:33.10        00:08:08.06
掌管 4        00:01:27.39        00:07:34.95
掌管 3        00:02:04.14        00:06:07.56
掌管 2        00:02:37.98        00:04:03.42
掌管 1        00:01:25.43        00:01:25.43
Speed2-5: some advices from a 22-year olds CEO. First, you need to find opportunity by yourself. Go out to find any potential instead of "sitting" here. Second, make a balance with your work life and home life. Whatever how fast your career moving on, you need to spend time on your familiy. Finally, remember who you are and where are you from. Whatever the successful you achived, dont forget that some people who help you get today's situation at before.
Speed6:some tips:1. thinking in diagrammatically 2.try to figure out the real meaning behind the diagaram 3. often to talk with your manager, let he or she know what you do is right and what is wrong. 4. having a good teamwork sprits, which not only have positive effects on your work but also improve you having a good personality in your team.
OB: this passage is talking about hopping job. According the passage, it give some research data about hopping job and some points of employers' view. It also mention that hopping job for young people may not a bad thing. Hopping job gives them opportunities in different fileds. While for old people, the employer may more want them to transfer their expriences than young people. The writer also said that, to choose job, the most important thing is following your self not obey your familiy members or friends.   
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-3-29 23:37
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部