返回列表 发新帖
查看: 7189|回复: 51
打印 上一主题 下一主题

[阅读小分队] 【Native Speaker每日综合训练—34系列】【34-20】经管

[复制链接]
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 2014-4-9 23:09:51 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
Stay tuned to our latest post! Follow us here --->  http://weibo.com/u/3476904471

今天的speaker的口音比较重,所以配有字幕。话题特殊,估计看完不同的人有不同感受。今天是冲着这个主题发的视频,要练听力的朋友们估计练不上了。
       speed 第一篇文章,情不投意不合,也是可以做好管理滴。
       speed里第二篇文章,是关于文化的差异,瓜瓜觉得挺好玩的, 是时候增长international exposure啦。
      Obstacle最近很火热的XP,文章有些长
       卖瓜完毕~~enjoy ~~

Part I: Speaker

Article 1   

My Escape From North Korea

[Rephrase 1]

[Speech, 12:15]

Source : TED
http://www.ted.com/talks/hyeonseo_lee_my_escape_from_north_korea

Script:

本帖子中包含更多资源

您需要 登录 才可以下载或查看,没有帐号?立即注册

x
收藏收藏 收藏收藏
沙发
 楼主| 发表于 2014-4-9 23:09:52 | 只看该作者
Part II: Speed

Article2

Senior Managers Won’t Always Get Along

[Time 2]

It’s virtually impossible to like everyone you meet. It’s even more unlikely that you will get along with everyone at work. People have different personalities, biases, values, ambitions, and interests, all of which affectthe chemistry of their relationships. And if you throw in the pressures of the workplace, it’s hardly surprising that tensions arise between colleagues and co-workers. But when members of a senior management team don’t get along, the negative impacts can cascade through an organization. Those conflicts have the potential to reduce productivity and morale for dozens or hundreds of people.

Let’s look at a two (disguised, but real) examples:

In a manufacturing organization, three members of the senior team were told that they were on the short-list to become the next CEO. The ensuing competition exacerbated already strained relationships between them, such that they barely talked with each other outside of formal meetings. Taking cues from their bosses, the people that worked for them began to form “camps” and reduced their levels of cross-functional discussion and collaboration as well.

In a financial services firm with a history of fairly autonomous business units, one senior manager was charged with creating a common approach to product development. After several of the business leaders pushed back on the standardized approach, she wrote them off and thereafter only worked with friendly and receptive areas.

It would be easy to say in both of these cases that the CEO should have intervened and forced people to work together more effectively. The reality is that in many organizations the CEO is either unaware of these dynamics, doesn’t know what to do, or chooses to ignore them, thinking that senior managers should be able to work these things out on their own. In other cases, like the first example here, the CEO might even foster the competition, almost like a lab experiment to see what happens.

[327 words]

[Time 3]

So what can you do if you are part of a “frosty” management team, either as a direct contributor to the tension, or an observer of the dysfunction? Here are two suggestions:

First, get the issues out from under the rocks and into the light of day. Few things cripple a management team more than having elephants in the room — and in the organization — that no one acknowledges. Get beyond the conspiracy of silence by talking to the key parties, either individually, in small groups, or as a team, about what’s going on. This needs to be done delicately and sensitively, without blaming anyone or pointing fingers (which could make things worse), but the conversations need to get started with a goal of making the business better.

In the case of the competing executives cited above, for example, one of the managers initiated a lunch meeting for the three of them — and explicitly talked about the awkwardness of the situation and how it was affecting other people on their team and in the company. All three then agreed that, while the situation was not optimal, they should do everything possible to do what’s best for the company and not just their own ambitions — and they conveyed this to their teams. Although this didn’t end the tensions, it certainly made it easier to keep doing business until a new CEO was selected.

The second way to deal with situations like these is to gently force the contending people to work together on projects or issues that are important to the company. In other words, when senior managers need to put on “bigger hats,” it helps them to transcend the interpersonal rivalries and dislikes in order to achieve the broader objective. For example, in the financial services company mentioned earlier, the HR executive, concerned about the deteriorating relationships, quietly influenced the CEO to tackle a key strategic issue by setting up a few small cross-functional teams — and made sure that the executives who were not getting along were paired up.

There is nothing that says that members of a leadership team need to like each other. They do need to realize however that when they don’t “get along” their dysfunctional relationships can reverberate throughout the organization. Preventing this from happening is a responsibility of the whole team.

[404 words]

Source :HBR
http://blogs.hbr.org/2014/03/when-senior-managers-dont-get-along-everyone-suffers/

Article3

How To Say “This Is Crap” In Different Cultures

[Time 4]

I had been holed up for six hours in a dark conference room with 12 managers. It was a group-coaching day and each executive had 30 minutes to describe in detail a cross-cultural challenge she was experiencing at work and to get feedback and suggestions from the others at the table.
It was Willem’s turn, one of the Dutch participants, who recounted an uncomfortable snafu when working with Asian clients.  “How can I fix this relationship?” Willem asked his group of international peers.

Maarten, the other Dutch participant who knew Willem well, jumped in with his perspective. “You are inflexible and can be socially ill-at-ease. That makes it difficult for you to communicate with your team,” he asserted. As Willem listened, I could see his ears turning red (with embarrassment or anger? I wasn’t sure) but that didn’t seem to bother Maarten, who calmly continued to assess Willem’s weaknesses in front of the entire group. Meanwhile, the other participants — all Americans, British and Asians — awkwardly stared at their feet.

That evening, we had a group dinner at a cozy restaurant.  Entering a little after the others, I was startled to see Willem and Maarten sitting together, eating peanuts, drinking champagne, and laughing like old friends. They waved me over, and it seemed appropriate to comment, “I’m glad to see you together. I was afraid you might not be speaking to each other after the feedback session this afternoon.”

Willem, with a look of surprise, reflected, “Of course, I didn’t enjoy hearing those things about myself. It doesn’t feel good to hear what I have done poorly. But I so much appreciated that Maarten would be transparent enough to give me that feedback honestly. Feedback like that is a gift. Thanks for that, Maarten” he added with an appreciative smile.

I thought to myself, “This Dutch culture is . . . well . . . different from my own.”

Managers in different parts of the world are conditioned to give feedback in drastically different ways. The Chinese manager learns never to criticize a colleague openly or in front of others, while the Dutch manager learns always to be honest and to give the message straight.

Americans are trained to wrap positive messages around negative ones, while the French are trained to criticize passionately and provide positive feedback sparingly.

[413 words]

[Time 5]

One way to begin gauging how a culture handles negative feedback is by listening to the types of words people use. More direct cultures tend to use what linguists call upgraders, words preceding or following negative feedback that make it feel stronger, such as absolutely, totally, or strongly: “This is absolutely inappropriate,” or “This is totally unprofessional.”

By contrast, more indirect cultures use more downgraders, words that soften the criticism, such askind of, sort of, a little, a bit, maybe, and slightly. Another type of downgrader is a deliberate understatement, such as “We are not quite there yet” when you really mean “This is nowhere close to complete.” The British are masters at it.  The “Anglo-Dutch Translation Guide”, which has been circulating in various versions on the Internet, illustrates the miscommunication that can result.

Germans are rather like the Dutch in respect of directness and interpret British understatement very similarly. Marcus Klopfer, a German client, described to me how a misunderstanding with his British boss almost cost him his job:

In Germany, we typically use strong words when complaining or criticizing in order to make sure the message registers clearly and honestly. Of course, we assume others will do the same. My British boss during a one-on-one “suggested that I think about” doing something differently. So I took his suggestion: I thought about it, and decided not to do it. Little did I know that his phrase was supposed to be interpreted as “change your behavior right away or else.” And I can tell you I was pretty surprised when my boss called me into his office to chew me out for insubordination!

[288 words]

[Time 6]

I learned to ignore all of the soft words surrounding the message when listening to my British teammates. Of course, the other lesson was to consider how my British staff might interpret my messages, which I had been delivering as “purely” as possible with no softeners whatsoever. I realize now that when I give feedback in my German way, I may actually use words that make the message sound as strong as possible without thinking much about it. I’ve been surrounded by this “pure” negative feedback since I was a child.

All this can be interesting, surprising, and sometimes downright painful, when you are leading a global team: as you Skype with your employees in different cultures, your words will be magnified or minimized significantly based on your listener’s cultural context   So you have to work to understand how your own way of giving feedback is viewed in other cultures.   As Klopfer reported:

Now that I better understand these cultural tendencies, I … soften the message when working with cultures less direct than my own.  I start by sprinkling the ground with a few light positive comments and words of appreciation. Then I ease into the feedback with “a few small suggestions.” As I’m giving the feed- back, I add words like “minor” or “possibly.” Then I wrap up by stating that “This is just my opinion, for whatever it is worth,” and “You can take it or leave it.”  The elaborate dance is quite humorous from a German’s point of view … but it certainly gets [the] desired results!

What about you? Where do you think your own culture falls in this regard?   If I need to tell you your work is total crap, how would you like me to deliver the message?

[316 words]

Source : HBR
http://blogs.hbr.org/2014/02/how-to-say-this-is-crap-in-different-cultures/

本帖子中包含更多资源

x
板凳
 楼主| 发表于 2014-4-9 23:09:53 | 只看该作者
Part III: Obstacle

Article4   

End Of The Road For Windows XP

[Paraphrase 7]

THIS week sees the last batch of bug fixes and security patches that Microsoft will issue for Windows XP. After April 8th, computers using the 13-year-old operating system will continue to work just fine, but all technical support for XP—whether paid or otherwise—will cease. In a change of heart, Microsoft has at least agreed to continue issuing updates for its Security Essentials malware engine, which runs on XP, until July 2015. Apart from that, users who continue to rely on the thing will be on their own—at the mercy of mischief-makers everywhere.

More than a few seem determined to stick with it. According to NetMarketShare, a web-analytics consultancy, Windows XP runs on 28% of the world's PCs, making it even today the second most popular operating system (surpassed only by Windows 7, with 49%). Over 400m machines will therefore be left exposed. Included in that number are 95% of all the cashpoints (ATMs) in the world. Windows XP and Embedded XP also power a lot of cash registers.

At least most banks, stores, petrol stations and other retail chains have plans in place to migrate their point-of-sale (POS) terminals from XP to Windows 7 or Linux. Many have delayed doing so for financial reasons. POS terminals cost anything from $15,000 to $60,000 apiece, so they tend to be left in place for ten years or more. Besides, new rules will soon require the American versions of these terminals to be upgraded anyway, so that they can handle the more secure “chip-and-pin” credit cards popular in Europe.

Most of the holdouts are small businesses and individual users. Typically, they view the job of upgrading as a costly chore that can be deferred (it ain’t broke, so why fix it?). But more than a few consider all apocalyptic talk of XP’s vulnerability as scaremongering by Microsoft and computer security firms.

It is certainly true that hardware makers, as well as software firms, have encouraged a fair amount of FUD (fear, uncertainty and doubt), hoping to scare XP users at least into replacing much of their software, if not their hardware as well. Older XP computers can run Windows 7, though at nowhere near the spritely rate of newer ones. Few older machines, however, can run Windows 8 or 8.1 without upgrading crucial components. And the FUD factor worked in 1999, when the mythical "Y2K" millennium bug spurred a world-wide computer-buying spree. Once again, FUD seems to be working. Global PC sales have been in free-fall recently, as people embrace iPads and Android tablets, but the downward trend went into reverse in the third quarter of 2013, in which sales were up 5% from the same period the previous year, according to analysts at Citigroup. And this was not just a one-off. Year-on-year sales in the fourth quarter of last year were up 10%.

Even so, a lot of XP diehards refuse to be swayed. They believe that as long as they keep their firewalls and anti-virus software up-to-date, use Chrome as their default browser instead Internet Explorer, and disable Java and Adobe Flash, they will be OK.

They are half right. Doing so will certainly reduce an XP machine’s risk of being infected or hijacked. But all it takes is one security breach for a hapless user’s identity, social-security and credit-card details to be stolen. Scans of real-world installations show that XP systems get infected six times more often than computers running later editions, including Windows 8. Better by far to upgrade and have done with it.

But to what? For those determined to stay in the Microsoft camp, forget Windows 8 or 8.1. Not only do they demand too much in the way of hardware, both have been been written off as a debacle as bad as the Windows Vista disaster. With their touch-based design, they require users to do things differently from the way they are familiar with. Microsoft is now hurrying out Windows 9 in a bid to pre-empt a mass migration to Linux or Macintosh.

The best choice for those reluctant to change their habits and their hardware is to upgrade to Windows 7. This can be made to look and feel exactly like Windows XP, while offering far better security. Unfortunately, because this upgrade leaps a generation—avoiding the ill-fated Windows Vista—the migration is not as straightforward as one might hope. If precautions are not taken, the process will wipe out all of a user’s software applications, program settings and data files. These have to be moved from the hard-drive to a separate disk beforehand, so that they can be transferred back intact after the installation is complete. Fortunately, there is a handy software tool, well worth its $30 price, that simplifies the process (see “Say farewell to XP”, September 6th 2013).

One of the attractions of migrating to Windows 7 is that it has a “compatibility mode” which lets users run all their legacy software. People can also set up a “virtual machine” on a Windows 7 system that will emulate their old Windows XP environment, quirks and all. But be warned: running Windows XP on a virtual machine inside Windows 7 does not magically make XP more secure. It will still be as vulnerable to exploitation as it was when running undisguised.

An alternative for more adventurous souls is to upgrade to one or other of the many flavours of Linux. Not only are all the popular Linux distributions free, they make fewer demands on hardware and run faster. They are also mercifully free of infection. For the same reason that Macintosh computers were once thought immune to viruses and other malware, hackers tend to leave Linux systems well alone: their installed base (1.5% of all computers) is too small to bother with.

Of the hundreds of Linux distributions, three stand out as solid replacements for Windows XP. The most popular by far (when all its derivatives are taken into account) is Ubuntu, followed by LinuxMint. Both stress ease of use and offer desktop environments that Windows XP users will feel comfortable with. And both will work on even relics from computing's iron age. All they ask for is a 700-megahertz processor, 512 megabytes of random-access memory, five gigabytes of hard-drive space and a graphics card capable of just 800-by-600 pixels of resolution. On anything better, Linux will run rings around comparable Macs or Windows machines.

The third stand-out, an interesting alternative to Ubuntu and LinuxMint, is Zorin. This has gone out of its way to emulate Windows XP. For computer users fleeing Microsoft, Zorin OS 8 could be the perfect drop-in replacement for Windows XP. Unfotunately, Zorin’s installation process is not as idiot-proof as those baked into Ubuntu and LinuxMint.

Babbage’s favourite Linux of all remains LinuxMint, because it comes with all the "drivers" and "codecs" (including various proprietary ones that open-source purist Ubuntu refuses to include) that let it function without a hitch straight out of the box. He recommends newcomers from the world of Windows adopt the version with the Cinnamon interface—XP users, in particular, will feel right at home.

Rather than junk XP altogether, though, Babbage suggests users set up LinuxMint alongside Windows, in a separate partition on their primary hard-drive. LinuxMint even asks users whether they want to do that during installation, and will then automate the process for them. With a dual-boot machine, users can then choose which operating system to load at start up. Having the two operating systems installed side by side provides access to the file systems of both. It is also a handy way for people to find out which one they prefer. If they do not like what they see, they can simply delete LinuxMint and go back to Windows XP. When upgrading his XP desktops to Windows 7, Babbage ran both operating systems side by side for several months until he was happy with the result. He did the same when moving a couple of old laptops from XP to LinuxMint.

Inevitably, though, the move from one operating system to another—whether to Linux or Macintosh or simply to a later version of Windows—entails niggling compromises. Having a user interface that looks and feels like Windows XP can be comforting, but ultimately it is the quality of the applications available for the new operating system that make or break a migration.

That is not so much a problem when upgrading from XP to Windows 7. It is bigger one when migrating to Macintosh or any Linux system. Equivalent programs for all the usual applications—wordprocessors, e-mail packages, browsers, media players and the like—can invariably be found. But it is the handy little software tools that are often irreplaceable and missed the most. Only when moving off the the Windows platform can users really begin to appreciate how rich and diverse it is.

[1509 words]

Source: Economist
http://www.economist.com/blogs/babbage/2014/04/difference-engine

本帖子中包含更多资源

x
地板
发表于 2014-4-9 23:10:18 | 只看该作者
沙发~~~~~~~~~~~

Speaker: The girl talked about the famine and power outage in North Korean in 1990s.And she described her experience and other North Koreans' situation in China.She learnt chinese and english to live in china and South Korea.When her family were punished for her money and escape,she decided to help her family escape from that coutry.After many difficult times,with many help from strangers and international community,the girl and her family start their new life outside the North Korea.She inspires all North Koreans outside the country to help to change that country from inside.
A meaningful and complex talk.

01:29
Conflict in senior manager layer may harm the firm or organization greatly,decrease the productivity and affect other junior workers.Two examples were raised to show this idea.

01:12
Two advices to solve this problem: 1put this issue under the light of the day 2 put hig hat on these managers and force them to work together on a project that is important to the firm.

01:40
Describe an embarrasssing feedback situation in an meeting,which shows Dutch's attitude to this situation.And then talk about the difference in other culture.

01:01
One way to know how a culture deal with negative feedback is by listening to the word they use.Direct cultrues tend to use upgraders,words that make sentence feel stronger.Indirect cultures tend to use downgraders.Germans,much like Dutch,yse upgradrs,while Britishs are opposite.

01:05
This culture difference leads to many difficulties to managers who lead global team.The author,as a German,has found out several tips that can help him sofen his feedback to those people like British.

08:19
Main Idea: After XP end,what system should we upgrade to?
On April 8th,Microsoft announced to stop technical support for XP,which shows the end of this operating system.But an that time,XP is still the second most popular system in the world.And most of ATM are still using XP now.Companies want to delay the upgrade most for financial reason.It will be a big cost.
All software and hardware makers want users to repalce their system for FUD reason.But a lot users refuse to do this.They think with up-to-date firewall and anto-virus software,their PC will still be safe.Their idea is half right.But XP is more likely to be hacked thant other system.
So which system should users upgrade to? Windows 8 is not a good choice for many reasons.Windows 7 seems to be the best one.Even this upgrade will make users loss their data,Windows 7 has its own attraction:the compatibility mode and virtual machine.Both can bring many convenience to users.
Linux is also a good choice,becuase it is free,faster and has fewer demand on hardwares.Ubuntu,LinuxMint and Zorin are the best three system in Linux.
Macintosh is another good choice,too.
But whatever system users choose,problems,big or small,will appear at upgrade.And only after moving off XP platfomr.can people appreciate what XP has brougt to us.
5#
发表于 2014-4-9 23:15:50 | 只看该作者
谢谢楼主!
:)
Speaker
Speaker live in a family, in which she was never hunger.
But then she found some people hunger outside the street.
Then she found
She lived in china by herself illeag
She passed the test when she got captured, nearly repairate then may public excution.
She settled down in south korean.
Helped her family escaped north korean.
A stranger helped her and her famliy.
Speed
1--02:22
One could not get along with everyone at work.
If senior manager team get along no well will affect the whole organization.
Two example are given.
One in manufacture, where people built up camps after their seinor manager short listed to promotion.
The other is finincia serices lack of efficience.
CEO can intervene this issue, but may one wan to foster the competition.
2--02:23
Two ways to solve this issue.
One is one of the senior manager call the others to meet and talk through the issue. Make sure their team will cooperate without attitude or dyfunction.
The other way is leader from outside to pair up managers who get along not well to make them understand their dysfucnitonal relationship harm organization.
3--02:19
An example that dutch manager criticize the other one openly and in front of other people. And they are still friend.
Dutch manager prefer to be honest and give the message straight.
Chinese managers try not to criticize a colleague openly or in front of others.
American wrap positive messages around negative ones.
French criticize passionately and give positive feedback sparingly.
4--02:01
Direction culture use upgrade words.
Indirect culture use downgrade words.
British use downgrade words and germany like direction.
An example that Germany misunderstood his british boss.
5--01:33
Germany use direction words to british colleague, making them think he did not think much.
Communication between different culture may have problems.
So the author learnt to use soften words when talked with people from indirection culture.
Obstacle--09:56
Microsoft stop update Windows XP, exposing all the XP system unprotected.
XP is the second most popular OS. 95% ATM in the world run XP.
POS terminal costs a lot, so financial reasons account for their OS migration.
New rule requires these terminals to upgrade anway.
Upgrade XP to later version needs higher level hardware than XP requires.
Using some safe software may somehow protect XP from viruse, but there is security breach anyway.
Windows 8.0 or more is not similar with XP, making it unpopular.
Then windows 7 is better. it has some advantages such as compatibility mode, emulate XP.
One can also upgrage XP to Linux, such as LinuxMint, Ubuntu or Zorin, those are simlilar to XP and can be ran with XP as dul-system, but may has limited software

6#
发表于 2014-4-9 23:23:11 | 只看该作者
占个首页~~~~

Speaker:
The woman talks about her life. When she is a child in North Korea, she was very pround of her country until she saw someone suffering in her own country. Then she crossed the borad and came to China. In order to aviod the China Police, she started to study chinese and make life in China. After several years, she managered to South Korea and started to learn English, which is very important in South Korea. Then she took a long way and a lot of money to get her parents out of North korea with the help of international community. She inspires all North Koreans outside the country to help to change that country from inside.

Time2: 2'12"
Time3: 2'53"
When members of a senior management team don’t get along, the negative impacts can cascade through an organization.
Two advice to solve the problems:
First, get beyond the conspiracy of silence by talking to the key parties.
Second, gently force the contending people to work together on projects or issues that are important to the company.
They need to realize however that when they don’t “get along” their dysfunctional relationships can reverberate throughout the organization.

Time4: 2'33"
Time5: 1'53"
Time6: 1'42"
People from different cultures are conditioned to give feedback in drastically different ways.
One way to begin gauging how a culture handles negative feedback is by listening to the types of words people use. More direct cultures tend to use stronger words while more indirect cultures use more downgraders, words that soften the criticism.
So when you communicate with your colleague in different cultures, your words need to be magnified or minimized significantly based on your listener's cultural context, so you have to work to understand how your own way of giving feedback is viewed in other cultures.

7#
发表于 2014-4-10 00:45:23 | 只看该作者
最后一个了!!!
---------------
谢谢楼主!!话说去看了瓜瓜的心经瞬间被激励感动到飙泪,本来很困差点就要睡着了最后还是决定要认真对待每一次小分队!~

speaker:
the woman thought her country was the best in the world,she felt proud
some people in the country suffer from poverty,they have no food to eat
the woman was sent to T because NK is so poor
people hide their identity to survive
she was wondered who she was and where did she come from
her family was arrested because of their identities
she is confidence people would see more success about NK

time2:1:36
it is hard for people to get along well with everyone he meet
when members of a senior management team don't get along well with each other, the negative impacts can hinder the healthy development of the organization
an example of a team of 3 senior managers, each of them has the possibility to be the next CEO, so their relationships become more tension
however, in the most of the situation, CEO do not know what to do to help relieve the tension, they just let it go

time3:1:57
two methods to deal with the tension
first, get the issues out from under the rocks and into the light of day, talk to your competitors passively and the conversation is about how to work to make the company better
as CEO, you should tell each senior managers they are unique to the company,what they must pay attention to is not their ambitions but the future of the company, and they should convey this to their teams
second,force people to work together

time4:1:46
in a feedback session, a Dutch participant criticizes another participant openly
however in the group dinner, they seems to be old friends and the thing happened in the afternoon has no influence on their relationships
different people from different country have different altitudes towards negative feedback

time5:1:56
people may misunderstand the real meaning of the negative feed back from people who has completely different culture background
for example, British people has indirect culture, they often use more downgraded words to soften the criticism, however people from Germany may misunderstand the real meaning

time6:1:31
in order to lead a global team, the team leader need to soften the words he use to give negative feedback to his staff

time7:7:09
this week, Microsoft declared to cease continuing provide supports to XP
XP has been the second used system around the world
many ATM may be influenced by the changes however it costs a lot to change the system of ATM
some companies say some bad results to encourage users to change their computers or transfer the system
some alternatives for users to choose to replace XP
W8 may not be a good choice because W8 require a touch system which is completely different from XP
Linux may be a good choice, users will feel comfortable to use the new system
anyway, the most important thing is the quality of the application available for the new operating system provided for users decided whether users are satisfied and choose to stay
8#
发表于 2014-4-10 00:58:37 | 只看该作者
DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
-------------------------------------------------
掌管 5        00:01:08.81        00:07:52.32
掌管 4        00:01:24.12        00:06:43.50
掌管 3        00:01:51.81        00:05:19.38
掌管 2        00:01:44.67        00:03:27.56
掌管 1        00:01:42.89        00:01:42.89

9#
发表于 2014-4-10 04:32:48 | 只看该作者
2.As people cannot let everybody likes him or her, in organization, co-workers may also have interrelational problems. To illustrate, the article gives two scenarione is that several managers are competeting for the incoming promotion, another is that a staff has not presented a satisfactory work for several times. Both of the two examples showed how interrelationship in working environment could be tensed. Then, the article described the position of the CEO. In some cases, the leader in the organization may unware of the situations or choose not to deal with it. In other cases, it is the willing of the CEO to foster the intensive environment as an experiment.

3.The following paragragphs introduced two methods to solve the problem mentioned above. Firstly, it is recommended to discuss the issue open-minded within the small group and most importantly, to discuss in a objective way and do not blame anyone. Meanwhile, the second way is to put a 'big hats', which means making the contending people work together to the mission of the company.

4.3'03
The article mainly described a personal experience as an example of cross-cultural challenge. In a conference, every manager is required to talk about one most shocking cultural challenge. A Dutcher manager shared one and subsequently been critized by another Dutcher manager who is his close friend openly. It is difficult for author to criticize other in public under Chinese culutre while it is common under Dutch culture.

5. 1'58
Then, the article discussed how cultures different from each other could be viewed from how they express negative feedbacks. For example, the direct culture, such as German or Dutch, would prefer to use extreme words such as 'absolutely''totally'to show it clearly and honestly. On the contrary, the indirect culture, such as British or Chinese, would prefer to use 'little' words such as 'a little bit'. Then, the article gave a story about how a German staff misunderstands his British boss.

6. 1'40
The passage suggest that the cultural differences could be mitigated by efforts when you have already understood them. By adapting to the culture characteristics of your target audience, the cost of the communication would reduced and the effecitiveness could be enhanced.
10#
发表于 2014-4-10 04:54:45 | 只看该作者
Speaker: The speaker is an escaper from North Korea. She described her experience of escaping from her motherland and how
         she helped her family get freedom from North Korea. She expressed thanks to international communities that help
         North Koreans and she also wants to help those who are still in North Korean.  
time2: 1min 47"
time3: 2min 13"
       People at workplace sometimes do not like each other and this may affect their work relationship, especially between
       senior managers. The writer gave two examples of strain relationships between senior managers. Then the writer provided
       two methods to solve the problem. One is to have conversations with involved persons in individuals or little group, the
       other is to let the involved persons to achieve a broder goal together.
time4: 1min 56"
       Different countries have different cultures to give critizes to coworkers. The writer described a story between two Dutch
       managers that they are willing to accept the criticism openly and the criticism won't affect the relationship between them.
time5: 1min 44"
time6: 1min 36"
       People from different cultural backgrounds may interpret a certain message in different contexts. More direct cultures tend
       to use negative feedback that make it feel stronger while more indirect cultures use words that soften the criticism. Then
       the writer gave an example of how a German employee misinterpreted the criticism of his British boss and the misinterpretion
       almost cost him his job. The writer suggested that when you work with people who have different culture backgrounds, you should
       consider how your message might be interpreted by your coworkers.
Obstacle:
       This week all technical support for Windows XP has ended, meaning that users will have to update their hardware system sooner
       or later. Windows XP dominated 28% of the world's PCs and many hardware providers including Microsoft use FUDs to encourage users
       of XP to upgrade their hardware system. But considering of financial issues, many users are reluctant to upgrade the system. The
       writer then provided and discussed three ways to upgrade Windows XP. The first one is to upgrade to Windows 7, which is familiar
       to users but with a much higher grade of security. The second one is to upgrade to Linux. The benefit of Linux is that it is free
       of attack from hackers. The third stand-out is Zorin. The writer thinks ultimately it is the quality of the applications available
       for the new operating system that make or break a migration.
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-4-24 02:13
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部