Paying an Employee Under the Table

[Rephrase 1]

Audio Index:
Slow dialog: 1:20
Explanations: 3:06
Fast dialog: 16:09

Source: http://www.eslpod.com/website/show_podcast.php?issue_id=14735728#

[Transcript]

Martin: I’m confused. I’ve been going over the books and I don’t see several members of the staff listed and accounted for.
Jina: Oh, I have a special arrangement with a few of them. I pay them under the table.
Martin: Are you sure that’s wise? You could get busted for tax evasion.
Jina: No one will be the wiser if I pay a few people off the books. All of the people I hire want a job, and a few of them I pay under the minimum wage. Since they don’t have to report their income, they come out ahead in the end. So what’s the problem?
Martin: I just want to make sure you’re aware of the ramifications. If the government finds out about it, you could be up the creek.
Jina: I’m not worried. Everybody does it.
Martin: If you say so. I’m willing to turn a blind eye, but you’re on your own if you get audited!

本帖子中包含更多资源

您需要 登录 才可以下载或查看,没有帐号?立即注册

x
收藏收藏 收藏收藏
沙发
 楼主| 发表于 2014-2-16 23:44:58 | 只看该作者
Part II: Speed

The Many Faces of President Obama, As Seen in America's Murals

From liquor stores to churches, Camilo Vergara has photographed murals of President Obama in some of the country's poorest communities

By Natasha Geiling
FEBRUARY 13, 2014 5:09PM

[Time2]

When Camilo Vergara began taking photographs of murals across America in the 1970s, he didn't go looking for art spread out on the walls of community centers or schools—he went to the liquor stores and convenience stores in some of the country's poorest neigborhoods, looking for how artists portrayed black history on the walls of their community. "That is where the least mediated images are," he explains.

Since 2009, Vergara started noticing murals of President Obama popping up in these communities. He photographed the murals that he found, collecting them in a project similar to one he did with murals of Martin Luther King, Jr. "To me, it was extremely interesting, because I saw it, at least the murals of Obama and Martin Luther King, as a prolongation of the Civil Rights history," Vergara says. "All these places want to present a friendly face, something which is appealing, that says, 'We’re here, this is our history, this is where we come from.'"When the president is depicted with others in murals, it's often with Martin Luther King, Jr. Vergara says that Obama is also often painted next to Michelle. But others painted with the president—Benito Juárez, Oprah Winfrey—reflect the community where the mural is painted. "If you go to the Bronx, you may see him with Sonia Sotomayor," Vergara explains.

To Vergara, the most interesting part of the project has been seeing the evolution of the murals, from the beginning of Obama's presidency to present-day. In the beginning, he explains, murals seemed to mirror the president's famous "Yes We Can" campaign poster, depicting the president alone, often looking upwards, surrounded by red, white and blue imagery. Gradually, however, the murals took on a more powerful tone: Obama is often situated within a pantheon of black leaders, staring out from the building's walls. In newer murals, the red, white and blue symbolism is sometimes replaced by an eagle, a more obvious nod to Obama's presidential power.

"If you look at one of the last murals, the one from Chicago, he really looks harsh. It’s a kind of 'I’m here.' He has enemies. They show him in battle," says Vergara of a mural painted in Chicago in 2014 (#11 in the gallery above, captioned Ace's Place. 63rd St. at Vernon, Chicago. 2014.)

Residents of the community where these murals are located don't interact with them on a daily basis, says Vergara, but he can tell that they respect them, because they haven't been tagged, a rarity in some urban areas. "You go to a city like L.A., everything, just about, gets tagged there," Vergara says. "But some of these murals stay there, and no one does anything. To me, that means that they appreciate them, that they like them."

[460 words]

Source: Smithsonian
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/many-faces-president-obama-americas-murals-180949730/

There Is No Demand for Higher Education
Just what it represents.
By John Warner

[Time3]

The champions of massive open online courses, or MOOCs, and other digitally mediated mass-produced education often speak of the “necessity” of transitioning to this model because of all of the increasingly onerous expense of traditional higher ed and unmet demand for education.

Clay Shirky believes the need is dire: “The reason to bet on the spread of large-scale low-cost education isn’t the increased supply of new technologies. It’s the massive demand for education, which our existing institutions are increasingly unable to handle. That demand will go somewhere.” (It’s worth noting that Shirky said close to the opposite of this in 2012, before the limitations of MOOCs became so readily apparent).

I don’t mean to pick on Shirky specifically—I’ve done that already. His post is just the freshest example of an attitude that’s widely shared by important people like Bill Gates, Coursera founder Daphne Koller, and Udacity’s Sebastian Thrun, not to mention the venture capitalist community that fuels this industry with their investment dollars.

However, the more I think about MOOCs and consider the nature of this demand, the more I come to believe that there is no inherent demand for education, and definitely not for the education they're peddling as a possible substitute for the traditional system of higher education.

Because the demand isn’t for education, per se. It’s for what we believe education can provide: a secure, stable life. This narrative may not even be true, as Freddie DeBoerargues in a recent post, but we cling to it anyway, because what choice do we have? If we instead believed that painting ourselves purple from head to toe had the same effect, we’d all be walking around looking like Barney the dinosaur.
[283 words]

[Time4]
     Education does provide a necessary credentialing function, and theoretically, an improved MOOC could provide such a service. But the credential is only part—and a relatively small part at that—of what education provides for us in our quest for a secure and stable life. It’s the process of being educated that has a far bigger impact on one’s life trajectory, and not just in the knowledge we learn and the skills we acquire.

It seems to me the most important part of the “traditional” educational experience is the people you meet. The social capital earned has greater influence on graduates’ lives than the credential itself. I'd be curious to know how Sebastian Thrun made it from his native Germany to his first academic posting at Carnegie Mellon, or how he arranged a sabbatical year at Stanford that ultimately led to a position there and with Google. He's obviously brilliant, but I'm willing to bet dollars to gigabytes that it's the people he met who made it possible. Just about anyone with a college degree can consider her current station and see how social capital gained through higher education has paved the way to the life she leads. (Or how a lack of it has presented significant challenges.)

I met two people in college who have had more impact on the life I’ve led than any class or credential. The first is my wife. We’ve been together happily for 22 years, and I can’t really fathom an existence separate from her. The second is my first creative writing professor, Philip Graham, who helped me figure out what to major in, decide where to go for graduate school, and land my first yearlong teaching job at the University of Illinois.

It meant me leaving a stable job in Chicago for a year in my college town, but knowing we were only staying a year made finding an appropriate job a challenge. The other jobs I applied for that fall prior to securing the teaching position were as a driver for the local bus transit service and a night security guard. I couldn't even get interviews for those jobs. My in with a tenured professor no doubt helped me secure a full-time lecturer position. It’s not that I wasn’t qualified—I’d TA’d for three years in grad school—but without that help, I wouldn’t have made it to the top of a pretty large pile.

[403 words]

[Time5]

Without that year of experience at Illinois, I never would have been hired at Virginia Tech when we moved on for my wife’s residency, which led ultimately to Clemson and now College of Charleston. Even college dropout Mark Zuckerberg might not have made it without the good fortune of being placed with roommates who could help fund his idea that became Facebook.

I was a mediocre student, and as a large Research I–level school, University of Illinois is poorly suited to creating conditions for serendipitous connections between student and professor, and yet it happened for me anyway. If that’s luck, it’s a result of product of design, even at universities where undergraduates can get lost in thousand-person lectures.

So thinking about a system of higher education that is divorced from the fundamental person-to-person relationship, where we communicate only via message boards or chat rooms, where our professors broadcast to us rather than interact with us, we no longer have education in its fullest sense, but an education-related product.

In this future, if MOOCs are the route to a credential, they may initially retain some of the popularity that traditional higher education currently holds. But as people realize that the real opportunities continue to accrue to those who are able to attend whatever traditional colleges and universities that remain, they will go to even greater lengths than today to secure those spots. Meanwhile, those for whom access to this opportunity is impossible will be left even further behind.
[248 words]

[Time6]
    The shadier operators in the for-profit industry that promise credentials but can’t deliver the social capital are a kind of preview of this hypothetical future. It’s a bait-and-switch when the credential doesn’t have any real-world value and the people you meet don’t have much social capital. And building social capital isn't limited to elite four-year institutions—community colleges provide the same benefits to a diverse group of learners with a variety of needs.
     An “education-related product” isn’t the same thing as education, and it doesn’t convey the same benefits. Colleges are under increased scrutiny because of weak recovery in employment, but they're not the reason for the weak recovery, just as they weren’t the reason college graduates did a bang-up job in the Clinton years.

The solution to this problem isn’t making a college education effectively useless—there’s no demand for that.
[142 words]

Source: http://www.insidehighered.com/blogs/just-visiting/there-no-demand-higher-education

本帖子中包含更多资源

x
板凳
 楼主| 发表于 2014-2-16 23:44:59 | 只看该作者
Part III: Obstacle

Obamacare’s war on jobs
By Charles Krauthammer, Published: February 14

[Paraphrase 7]

In the ongoing saga of the Affordable Care Act, oddly referred to by Democrats as the law of the land even as it is amended at will by presidential fiat, we are beginning to understand the extent of its war on jobs.

First, the Congressional Budget Office triples its estimate of the drop in the workforce resulting from the disincentive introduced by Obamacare’s insurance subsidies: 2 million by 2017, 2.3 million by 2021.

Democratic talking points gamely defend this as a good thing because these jobs are being given up voluntarily. Nancy Pelosi spoke lyrically about how Obamacare subsidies will allow people to leave unfulfilling jobs to pursue their passions: “Think of an economy where people could be an artist or a photographer or a writer without worrying about keeping their day job in order to have health insurance.”

Nothing so lyrical has been written about work since Marx (in “The German Ideology”) described a communist society that “makes it possible for me to . . . hunt in the morning, fish in the afternoon, rear cattle in the evening, criticize after dinner.”

Pelosi’s vision is equally idyllic except for one thing: The taxes of the American factory worker — grinding away dutifully at his repetitive mind-numbing job — will be subsidizing the voluntary unemployment of the artiste in search of his muse. A rather paradoxical position for the party that poses as tribune of the working man.

In the reductio ad absurdum of entitlement liberalism, White House spokesman Jay Carney was similarly enthusiastic about this Obamacare-induced job loss. Why, Obamacare creates the “opportunity” that “allows families in America to make a decision about how they will work, and if they will work.”
If they will work? Pre-Obama, people always had the right to quit work to tend full time to the study of butterflies. It’s a free country. The twist in the new liberal dispensation is that the butterfly guy is to be subsidized by the taxes of people who actually work.

In the traditional opportunity society, government provides the tools — education, training and various incentives — to achieve the dignity of work and its promise of self-improvement and social mobility. In the new opportunity society, you are given the opportunity for idleness while living parasitically off everyone else. Why those everyone elses should remain at their jobs — hey! I wanna dance, too! — is a puzzle Carney has yet to explain.

The honest liberal reply to the CBO report is that a disincentive to work is inherent in any means-tested government benefit. It’s the unavoidable price of helping those in need because for every new dollar you earn, you lose part of your subsidy and thus keep less and less of your nominal income.

That’s inevitable. And that’s why we have learned to tie welfare, for example, to a work requirement. Otherwise, beneficiaries could choose to live off the dole forever. That’s why the 1996 Gingrich-Clinton welfare reform succeeded in reducing welfare rolls by two-thirds. It is not surprising that the same Obama administration that has been weakening the work requirement for welfare is welcoming the disincentive to work inherent in Obamacare.

But Obamacare’s war on jobs goes beyond voluntary idleness. The administration is now conceding, inadvertently but unmistakably, Obamacare’s other effect — involuntary job loss. On Monday, the administration unilaterally postponed and weakened the employer mandate, already suspended through 2015, for yet another year.

But doesn’t this undermine the whole idea of universal health coverage? Of course it does, but Obamacare was so structured that it is crushing small business and killing jobs. It creates a major incentive for small businesses to cut back to under 50 employees to avoid the mandate. Your business becomes a 49er by either firing workers or reducing their hours to below 30 a week. Because that doesn’t count as full time, you escape both the employer mandate to buy health insurance and the fine for not doing so.

With the weakest recovery since World War II, historically high chronic unemploymentand a shockingly low workforce participation rate, the administration correctly fears the economic consequences of its own law — and of the political fallout for Democrats as millions more Americans lose their jobs or are involuntarily reduced to part-time status.

Conservatives have been warning about this for five years. This is not rocket science. Both the voluntary and forced job losses were utterly predictable. Pelosi insisted we would have to pass the law to know what’s in it. Now we know.

Read more from Charles Krauthammer’s archive, follow him on Twitter or subscribe to his updates on Facebook.
[758 words]

Source: Washington Post
http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/charles-krauthammer-obamacares-war-on-jobs/2014/02/13/ed97c9c8-94eb-11e3-84e1-27626c5ef5fb_story.html?tid=pm_opinions_pop

本帖子中包含更多资源

x
地板
发表于 2014-2-16 23:54:39 | 只看该作者
沙发~~~微博是个好东西

Speaker: today's topic is about paying staff under the table for tax evasion,which may be busted by the government.
government hotel called jail 这句有莫名的喜感

02:45
Camilo Vergara,who used to take photos of murals,found that many murals about Obama appeared in many communities.And people's attitude toward him changes with time.More about his president status in the beginning,more about his black leader and civil right now.

01:48
There is no high demand for education but for what education can provide us.

01:59
The most important thing that traditional educaiton can provide is the social network not the knowledge.

01:24
The new MOOCs education lacks the fundamental person-to-person relationship which provide more opportunities.

01:00
Social capital can be built in many other ways,not only by education.Weak recovery in employment is not the fault of education.

05:51
Main Idea: the aspect of Obamacare on the job market
The Congressional Budget Office estimated that the workforce will decline in the future while the subsidies of Obamacare rise.Democratic thought that this is a good thing since people can chase their passion without worrying about their health insurance.But acctually this is a disaster to those factory workers.Since more tax will be needed to pay for these subsidies.
And the Democratic also thought that this loss showed that american family can decide how they will work and if they will work. But the truth is that the free subsidies and high tax will make no people want to remain their current job any more.Becuase they will lost part of their subsidies and reduce their nominal income.That's why welfare is always tied to work.Obamacare seems to reconstruct the welfare system.
Moreover,the Obamacare is crashing small business and killing jobs due to its policy.
With the weak recovery,the american's own law lead to a high chornic unemployment and low workfore participation rate.
5#
发表于 2014-2-16 23:59:39 | 只看该作者
M.                     早睡早起!!!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
T1
2'07''
T2
1'46''->1'46''
T2;3;4;5;6
6'36''

4'58''
6#
发表于 2014-2-17 00:41:14 | 只看该作者
Time2: 3'26"
CV take photoes of president Obama in America's murals. He feel interesting to see some change of it, and he think the black people respect him.

Time3: 2'16"
further education is not necessity for most of people and why

Time4: 2'50"
what is more important than education is the people you met, and the author give an example of himself

Time5: 1'48"
continue to talk about the example of himself and emphasize the importance of person-to-person relationship.

Time6: 1'12"
restate that there is no demand for higher education and why.

Time7: 6'40"Obamacare's war on jobs
on one side some people think it is idyllic because people could do anything they want without worrying about health insurance.
on the other side, the people who actually work need to pay for it.
Further more, Obamacare's war on jobs goes beyond voluntary idleness.
7#
发表于 2014-2-17 00:53:03 | 只看该作者
2:3'24:
-Camilo Vergara went to poor neighborhood to collected murals of president Obama.
- who Obama was compare to or next to in people eyes.
-The latest mural portray in chicago shows Obama is in the battle.

3: 2'13:
the more author think about MOOCs and consider the nature of this demand, the more author come to believe that there is no inherent demand for education. we believe education provides security of life.

4:2'42:
-author believe besides credential we get from education, more importantly is the people we encounter in the school. They are the ones led us the way and have significant impact in our lives.

5:1'58
how he and his wife move to other places for more opportunity. author's point is online university may not provide education-related product which is people connection.

6:1
author summarizes by saying that education-related product is something can not be provided by online universities.

7:6'20:
Main idea: how Obamacare affect the employment.
-author started by saying how obamacare will affect the unemployment rate in the future.
-he goes on saying people are able to chase after their dream job live under the tax paid by other people who work hard.
8#
发表于 2014-2-17 04:59:35 | 只看该作者
楼上的S!!!!!!!

谢谢楼主~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Speaker: Martin found the tax evasion behavior of Jina and reminded her about that. But she does care about the ramification since
         everyone else is doing it.

time2: 2min 34"
       Vergara has recently noticed the murals across the country depicting President Obama. He thinks that these murals show that
       people appreciate them and they like them.

time3: 2min 06"
       Some people think that the champions of massive open online courses show an increasing demand of education. The writer holds
       the opposite opinion. He thinks it is our demand for what education can provide rather that education itself that is increasing.

time4: 2min 20"
       The writer thinks that it is the people that you met during the education rather that the credential itself that is matters when
       you want to lead a secure and stable life.

time5: 1min 43"
       In this future, if MOOCs are the route to a credential, they may initially retain some of the popularity that traditional higher
       education currently holds.

time6: 57"
       An "education-related produce" isn't the same thing as education, and it doesn't convey the same benefits.

Obstacle: 6min 08"
          Main idea: Obama's war on jobs
          The Congressional Budget Office triples its estimates of the drop in the workforce resulting fron the disincentive
          introduced by Obamacare's insurance subsidies.
          Democratic defend this as a good thing because these jobs are being given up voluntarily.
          There is a paradoxical position of the policy: the taxes of the American factory worker will be subsidizing the voluntary
          unempolyment.
          White House Spokes Man thinks the twist in the new liberal dispensation is that people can get subsidized when they search for
          their own muse.
          A disincentive to work is inherent in any means-tested government benefits and that's why we have learned to tie welfare to a work
          requirement.
          Obamacare's war on jobs goes beyond voluntary idleness, for example, involuntary job less.
          Conservatives are worring about a chronic unemployment and a shocking low workforce participation but the writer opposes this idea.
9#
发表于 2014-2-17 07:05:15 | 只看该作者
谢谢楼主!!!
Speaker
Paying under the table means get the paying without tax
The man does not see several persons in the staff listed in the accounting books, which means someone were paid under table
Man worried the woman would be busted by tax evasion.
off the book in here means under the table
One reason she does this is she is paying someone under minimum wage.
The goverment will reture the tax if one's income is under some level
up the creek is to express the idea has problens.
Speed
1--02:25
Mural in poorest country in US has Obama figure.
The figuration of Obama mural has been changed according to this present status changes.
In these area, Obama fig are connected with meaning of civil right, as Martin Luther Kin's fig did.
2--01:46
MOOCs and the nature of this demand is not for education, but for a secure, stable life.
3--02:22
The more important thing in education is the people we met there, who have impact on our live trajectory.
Author gave his exmpale.
4--01:35
Online school could not provide the chance to get meaningful impact from classmates or teachers.
So go to trainditional colleges and universities...
5--01:05
An education-related product could not provide the real-world value what education provides.
Obstacle--05:48
Obamacare has two side effect -- voluntary and forced job loss.

10#
发表于 2014-2-17 08:53:48 | 只看该作者
先占座喽,谢谢楼主~~~~~
2.  2'34
CV takes photographs of the murals, and he finds President Obama's mural is popular in recent years.
From his collection, CV knows the evolution of the Obama's murals.  
In rural areas, these photographs are not tagged, unlike in the big city, this situation reflects that rural folks like Obama and respect him.

3.2'30
MOOCs is becaming more and more popular. However, the author thinks this trend is not a real increasing demand for the education, but a trend for the secure and stable life.

4. 2'30
Education provides diplomas to prove the skills we acquried, but this is not the focus or has little effects on our life. Instead, the people we met in the process of study are the treasure of our whole life.

5 1'48
MOOC can give the credential equal to the higher education, but it can't provide the chance to creat fundamental person-to person relationship. So just like a product, we get out from the product-line of the MOOC, but we are lack of the vital things of edication.

6. 1'05
Education-related product isn't equal to the education.

Obstacle  
政治文章好难啊。再看一遍。
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-4-26 17:37
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部