打印 上一主题 下一主题

[阅读小分队] 【Native Speaker每日综合训练—32系列】【32-08】文史哲

[复制链接]
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 2014-2-15 23:31:03 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
Official Weibo account, follow us here→ http://weibo.com/u/3476904471

Part I:  Speaker

The world is one big dataset. Now, how to photograph it ...

[Rephrase 1]

[Dialog: 09'44]

Transcript:

Source:
http://www.ted.com/talks/dan_berkenstock_the_world_is_one_big_dataset_now_how_to_photograph_it.html

本帖子中包含更多资源

您需要 登录 才可以下载或查看,没有帐号?立即注册

x
收藏收藏 收藏收藏
沙发
 楼主| 发表于 2014-2-15 23:31:04 | 只看该作者
Part II: Speed

The openness of Jonathan Martin in participating in the investigation is the kind of honest reckoning that can help other victims of bullying.
Photo by Joel Auerbach/Getty Images

The NFL’s Miami Dolphins Investigation Is the Best Report on Bullying I’ve Ever Read
Emily Bazelon  |  Feb. 14 2014

For a better understanding of the background, please check the link to a news report of the above-mentioned investigation:
http://deadspin.com/investigation-finds-pattern-of-harassment-in-miami-1522833437

[Time 2]
Ted Wells’ independent investigation of the Miami Dolphins and the culture of their offensive line is the opposite of a whitewash. The investigators’ 140-plus page report on the events leading up to Jonathan Martin’s departure from the team is judicious, persuasive, and a public service. Carefully sifting through the evidence, it concludes that Richie Incognito and two teammates who acted as his henchmen humiliated and harassed Martin, another unnamed teammate, and an assistant trainer for months in ways that no employee should have to endure. This report should be required reading in management courses and for anyone who wonders how ugly, demeaning, and corrosive treatment can lie beneath a façade of “all in good fun” workplace “teasing.”

The report should also be a watershed moment for the Dolphins and the NFL. Its conclusions will only have real power if it leads to real consequences. Given his record of past infractions, Incognito should not play in the NFL. Not next year, and probably not ever. And the Dolphins should fire offensive line coach Jim Turner, who participated in the bullying.

I’ve often half-joked that to really understand an accusation of bullying, you need a police investigation, with all the tools for rigorously evaluating the credibility of everyone’s account. With more than 100 interviews of Dolphins players, coaches, and managers, as well as thousands of text messages, that’s what this report is. For this we should credit not just the professionalism of the investigative team, but the openness of Jonathan Martin. He gave his permission to air sensitive, private information about his struggles with depression and suicidal thinking. It’s a personal sacrifice that will no doubt expose him to hurt and criticism—and that allows for the kind of honest reckoning that can help other victims of bullying, both adults and kids.
[317 words]

[Time 3]
Martin played football for Stanford University before joining the Dolphins two seasons ago. As every story about him mentions, he weighs more than 300 pounds. How do you bring a guy like this to his knees? If you’re a team leader like Richie Incognito, it’s easy. The genius of this report is how clear that becomes as you read.

“To a great extent, Incognito dictated the culture” of the Dolphins’ locker room and offensive line, Wells and the other three members of his team write. Incognito had two abettors, his fellow offensive linemen John Jerry and Mike Pouncey. The three of them shredded Martin’s sense of self-worth in all the ways that bullies have perfected. It’s textbook. They figured out how to get to Martin, and then they kept at it, from his first season to his second last fall.

Incognito and his cronies hurled an unending series of disgusting sexual insults at Martin’s sister and mother. (Former assistant offensive line coach Chris Mosley remembered this going on constantly for a period of two weeks. More about the amazing lapses by him and Turner later.) They tricked Martin into paying $10,000 for missing a group trip to Las Vegas. (Another player, similarly fined, said, “Fuck no,” never paid, and knew there would be no fallout.) They called Martin racist slurs—“nigger” and also “liberal mulatto bitch,” “stinky Pakistani,” “shine box,” and “darkness.” (Jerry is black and Pouncey is biracial, which was supposed to make all of this OK, but didn’t.) Incognito also called Martin “my bitch” or “the O-line’s bitch”—once, after he’d come to Martin’s defense in a fight on the field during a scrimmage. How better to send the message that Martin was in fact his bitch—a weak-willed “half-nigger piece of shit” who had no choice but to take all of this abuse.

Martin tried. He pretended the harassment didn’t bother him. He turned his back. He walked away. He laughed it off. Once in a while he told Incognito and his henchmen to fuck themselves. But he didn’t land a punch—football player or no, that’s not his way—or convince anyone that he was invulnerable. And he knew it. This reminded me so much of a seventh-grade boy I interviewed a couple of years ago in Lincoln, Neb., who continually struggled with letting other kids get to him. “All the teachers, they tell me to ignore it and walk away,” he said. “I’ve tried ignoring it. It’s just, they know me. So if I walk away and act like nothing happened, they’ll keep following and bullying because they know how I really feel.”
[498 words]

[Time 4]
The most heart-breaking part of the Wells report is the series of messages Martin sent to his parents in April 2013, following his rookie year. He wrote to his mother:
I figured out a major source of my anxiety. I’m a push over, a people pleaser. I avoid confrontation whenever I can, I always want everyone to like me. I let people talk about me, say anything to my face, and I just take it, laugh it off, even when I know they are intentionally trying to disrespect me. I mostly blame the soft schools I went to, which fostered within me a feeling that I’m a huge pussy.

Martin blamed himself and he was still, emotionally, under Incognito’s thumb, seeing what the bully wanted him to see.

She tried to help, acknowledging that the NFL was different from the world he’d grown up in, as the child of two academics. (In the larger world, Martin has more social power than Incognito. In the Dolphins locker room, his upper-middle-class upbringing just made him seem awkward and different.) She also said professional help and “additional serotonin” might be a good idea. Martin wrote back: “A therapist & medication won’t help me gain the respect of my teammates. I really don’t know what to do Mom.”

To his father, who is black, Martin wrote of his self-loathing at failing to stop his teammates: “People call me a Nigger to my face. Happened 2 days ago. And I laughed it off. Because I am too nice of a person. They say terrible things about my sister. I don’t do anything.”

His dad sympathized, too, sharing his own experiences of being attacked with racial insults. But a week later, after feeling shamed by Incognito and Pouncey on a yacht trip, Martin wrote to his mother: “I’m never gonna change. I got punked again today. Like a little bitch. And I never do anything about it.”
[345 words]

Source: Slate
http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/sports_nut/2014/02/wells_report_richie_incognito_the_nfl_s_investigation_of_the_miami_dolphins.html?wpisrc=burger_bar

Mark Rylancein Twelfth Night as Viola.
Photo courtesy Joan Marcus/Facebook

Why Are Critics Laughing Off the Queer in Shakespeare?
Charles Shafaieh

[Time 5]
Picture this: An actor with his face powdered white and chest cinched tightly in a corset flirts with another man. They kiss and quickly fall in love. In 2014, such queer scenes in theater still aren't extremely common, but in Shakespeare's time, laws prohibiting women from acting ensured that men courting each other onstage were part of every romantic scene. Juliet? Think less Claire Danes and more a young James Franco.

This cross-dressing revelry thrives once again in Tim Carroll's all-male productions of Richard III and Twelfth Night, both currently finishing up their runs on Broadway. These two plays see Carroll reviving the single-gender Elizabethan stage practice, and audiences can't stop raving about his attention to historical detail. But in this fetish for authenticity, what’s going unnoticed is how, in our modern context, these shows are hardly conservative—rather, they are the queerest things happening in the world of theater.  

It’s sad, then, that the critics, so enamored with illusions of dramatic "purity,” seem to regard men engaging in amorous trysts as merely fodder for laughs. This is a shallow view, and one that ignores a number of invitations for a richer—and queerer—reception.

For example, the productions make blatantly clear the absence of women even before anyone utters a word. Upon entering the theater, “the Shakespearean pre-show rituals of [actors] dressing and preparing their makeup onstage” (as described in the productions’ website) immediately draws one’s attention.
[251 words]

[Time 6]
And then, of course, there are the plots themselves. While having a male Lady Anne fall prey to Richard III’s seduction is deliciously queer, Twelfth Night simply overflows with homoerotic energy. At the start, the countess Olivia rejects the advances of Duke Orsino in favor of Cesario, who is actually Viola, a woman recently separated by shipwreck from her twin brother and now disguised as Orsino’s eunuch servant. Later, Sebastian, Viola’s twin, arrives at court and is mistaken for Cesario/Viola by Olivia, who throws herself on this supposedly identical copy of his sister. (Almost finished!) Eventually, all identities are revealed, and the play ends with Viola declaring her love for Orsino, who quickly reciprocates, as if he never loved anyone else.

Making matters more confusing, Carroll’s production features a man dressed as a woman falling in love with a man dressed as a woman disguised as a castrated man. I challenge anyone to try pigeonholing that relationship as definitively heterosexual or homosexual (a task that should have been made even more impossible had Carroll been truly authentic by casting prepubescent boys in the female roles). And as if this weren’t gender-bending enough: Before Orsino exits with Viola, he explicitly requests she remain in men’s clothing. That Shakespeare closes with a man declaring he finds androgyny more scintillating than gowns, girdles, and other aspects of “femininity” suggests that we aren’t being totally anachronistic when reading a little queerness into English Renaissance theatre.

But what do our critics do instead? They laugh. Rather than seriously engage the possibility of men genuinely flirting with one another, today’s audiences prefer concealing a subtle homophobia behind the veil of “authenticity.” Delighting in the inherent queerness of the dramaturgy simply seems out of the question. This response suggests that our supposedly “liberal” era may not be as progressive as it seems—when it comes to queerness, Shakespeare was far more advanced than we are today.
[342 words]

Source: Slate
http://www.slate.com/blogs/outward/2014/02/14/tim_carroll_s_richard_iii_and_twelfth_night_can_shakespeare_be_queer.html

本帖子中包含更多资源

x
板凳
 楼主| 发表于 2014-2-15 23:31:05 | 只看该作者
Part III: Obstacle

Dear Sir, Ben Franklin Would Like to Add You to His Network
——Historian Caroline Winterer’s analysis of Franklin’s letters applies big data to big history
Jonathan Lyons  | Smithsonian Magazine | December 2013

[Paraphrase 7]
In July 1757 Benjamin Franklin arrived in London to represent Pennsylvania in its dealings with Britain. With characteristic dry humor, Franklin, then 50, had written ahead, warning his longtime correspondent William Strahan, a fellow printer, that he might appear at any moment. “Our Assembly talk of sending me to England speedily. Then look out sharp, and if a fat old Fellow should come to your Printing House and request a little Smouting [freelance work], depend on it.”

That trans-Atlantic journey effectively marked Franklin’s debut on the world stage, the moment this American inventor-publisher-aphorist-leader—but not yet the wise old cosmopolitan founding father—first directly encountered the Old World intellectual elite in the midst of the Enlightenment. And for that reason 1757 is the starting point for a groundbreaking investigation of Franklin in the world of ideas. At Stanford, historian Caroline Winterer is heading up a computer-powered effort to trace the interconnections—what we in the era of Facebook recognize as social networks—that would eventually link Franklin to the most prominent intellectuals and public figures of his day. The study is part of a larger endeavor at Stanford, the Republic of Letters project, to map the interactions of the Enlightenment’s leading thinkers, among them Voltaire, philosopher John Locke and astronomer William Herschel.

“We are seeing Franklin when he was not the Benjamin Franklin,” Winterer, who is 47, says one day, looking up from a computer in her office overlooking the Spanish Mission-style buildings of the university’s main quad. On-screen bar graphs display a welter of data, including the ages and nationalities of her subject’s most active correspondents. “This project restores him to the story of the world.”

To be sure, Franklin was on his way to becoming a giant at home by 1757. His publishing business was flourishing; the Pennsylvania Gazette was the leading American newspaper, and Poor Richard’s Almanack was a staple of colonial bookshelves. He had laid the groundwork for the University of Pennsylvania and the American Philosophical Society. His brilliant experimental work on electricity had been published. But computer graphics and maps representing Franklin’s early correspondence add new particulars to our understanding of Franklin’s gradual entry into Enlightenment networks. He “does not stand out as a new, glittering species of American, the lowly provincial rocketed into the international arena of European intellectual and political life,” Winterer concludes in a new scholarly paper. “Rather, Franklin takes his place in a long sequence of British-American engagements in the republic of letters.”

The research, although still in the early stages, is stirring controversy among scholars because of its heavily quantitative approach—Winterer and co-workers don’t even read the Franklin letters that their computers enumerate. But the work is also winning praise.

The Harvard historian Jill Lepore, author of a new study of Franklin’s sister, Book of Ages: The Life and Opinions of Jane Franklin, says Winterer’s research is “revolutionary.” All too many digitization efforts, Lepore adds, “tell us what we already know—that there are more swimming pools in the suburbs than in the city, for instance—but the mapping in the Enlightenment project promises to illuminate patterns no one has seen before.”

Winterer’s work, says cultural historian Anthony Grafton of Princeton, increasingly will demonstrate the potential of what he calls “spatialized information” to “sharpen our understanding both of the culture of the British Atlantic and of the historical role of Benjamin Franklin.” And the promise of the approach is virtually limitless—it could be applied to historical figures from Paul of Tarsus to Abraham Lincoln to Barack Obama.

In the initial phase of their research, Winterer and colleagues, including doctoral candidate Claire Rydell, draw on Franklin’s correspondence between 1757 and 1775, when Franklin returned to Philadelphia a committed partisan of American independence. During that time, his correspondence more than tripled, from around 100 letters a year to more than 300. At the Stanford Center for Spatial and Textual Analysis (CESTA), researchers pore over an electronic database of Franklin’s correspondence, edited at Yale and available online. They painstakingly record data from each letter Franklin wrote or received, including the sender, recipient, locale and date. A separate database tracks individual senders and recipients. These two data sets are fed into a customized computer application for processing into charts, maps and graphs that allow the research team to search for patterns and interrogate the material in new ways.

In that 18-year period, as Winterer’s quantitative analysis documents, Franklin’s most prolific correspondents were not the movers and shakers of the European Enlightenment. He was not communicating with leading scientists of the Royal Society of London, the French intellectual elite or learned figures from around the Continent—with whom he would later engage on an equal footing.

One of the major ways that we understand Franklin, historian Gordon S. Wood states in his 2004 study, The Americanization of Benjamin Franklin, is that “He was undoubtedly the most cosmopolitan and the most urbane of that group of leaders who brought the Revolution.” A goal of the new Franklin research, Winterer says, is to accumulate data to test and measure this idea of Franklin.
[907 words]

Source: Smithsonian
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/innovation/dear-sir-ben-franklin-would-like-to-add-you-to-his-network-180947639/

本帖子中包含更多资源

x
地板
发表于 2014-2-15 23:52:39 | 只看该作者
沙发~~~~~~微博是个好东西 一不小心让楼下的小朋友坐了板凳

obstacle : 7m23s   

The 1757 is the starting point for investigating the franklin.
  Winters and his group began their computer data-based  track on the correspondence of franklin.  
  The group find that he was a gaint publisher in that time, and he also a cosmopolitan cross the altantic .
  Some people critisize the winter's work for their team come to this graphic and charts before they have read all framklins's letters.
  Mnay people praise  that winter's work is revolutionary.  
  This research is help to find out and test the idea of franklin

5#
发表于 2014-2-16 00:28:26 | 只看该作者
板凳~终于在首页见到瓜瓜了
今天的TOPIC都好有趣,关于历史的复述真无力

Speaker: Data can be showe in imagine.Satellite imagery is thought to provide data.But after cold war,most photo satellites are in private companies and sending a new sattllite is expensive.So most of pictures used now are old ones.And the speaker decided to design new small sattllites to reduce the cost.Then decribe the process and difficulties his team met.The unqie ability of imaginary satellite is to provide global transparency.

01:46
An independent investigation about the bullying action in Miami Dolphins.This report will be a watershed moment of NFL and may reduce other possible victims in the future.

02:06
Introduce several bullying stories happened to Martin.

01:33
In most situations,Martin just blamed himself.And he really wanted to struggle to them,but never success.

01:21
At Shakespeare period,females are abandoned from stage.So most time,two male actors performed romantic scene.Most critics ignored this phenomenon and regared them as laughs.

01:23
Desribe two plays in details.And those plays may be thougt as gay stories and the laugh of critics may be homophobia.But they just laughed for comedy effect.

05:14
Main Idea:Study Benjiamin Franklin's histroy by his letter and newwork.
Use computer to collect all letters and network data of Franklin to study all his life.And these data also can help us to know more about the culture of the British Atlantic and of the historical role of Benjamin Franklin.
6#
发表于 2014-2-16 01:35:52 | 只看该作者
Time 1 2'14
Ted's investigation concludes that R and teamates bullied M.
Consequence of the investigation
We should credit professionalism of investigation team and openness of JM.

Time 2 2'56.64
details of how Martin was bullied
Martin tried to walk away and ignore, but it did not work.

time 3 1'51.59

details of M's letter to his parents is heart breaking.

time 4 1,57.17
crossing dressing is common in shakespear's time
Audience did not pay much attention to gender of actors.
Critics's opinion that cross-dressing is funny is shallow.
7#
发表于 2014-2-16 05:11:46 | 只看该作者
M.                  LX 的,你能再慢点吗? :p
-------------------------------------------------------------
1'44''
2'21''
2'08''
1'44''
2'13''

5'14''
8#
发表于 2014-2-16 05:27:40 | 只看该作者
占~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~还是晚Sherlock一步。。。。。谢谢楼主啦~~~~~就是文史哲的单词好多不认识T^T
Speaker: The speaker is a data scientist and he regards the satellite image of great use. But the traditional satellites are
         too expensive and scarce and the pictures they took are old and of little use. The speaker then design new satellites
         that are less expensive and take more valuable pictures.

time2: 2min 14"
       Ted Well's independent investigation of the Miami Dolphins and the cultures of their offensive line is the opposite of
       a whitewash. The writer thinks highly of the report.

time3: 2min 55"
       The writer described how Incognito and his cronies harrassed and humiliated Martin but Martin wanted to pretend that he
       was OK. But this action didn't stop them from bullying Martin.

time4: 1min 49"
       Martin wrote to his parents talking about his situation and complianing that he would never get to change.

time5: 2min 03"
       In Shakespeare's time, men courting each other onstage were part of every romantic scene. But this tradition has been regarded
       as merely fodder for laughs.

time6: 2min 29"
       The writer made an example of Twelfth Night and stated that the response that our critics laughed at the queerness in Shakespear's
       plays suggests that our supposedly "liberal" era may not be as progressive as it seems.

Obstacle: 7min 54"
          Main idea: Historians learn about Franklin's networks through study of his correspondence with others.
          An introduction of the topic.
          Historian Caroline Winterer is heading up a computer-powered effort to trace the interconnections that would eventually link
          Franklin to the most prominent intellectuals and public figures of his day.
          Franklin was on his way to becoming a giant at home by 1757 and took his place in a long sequence of British-American engagement
          of the republic of letters.
          The research is stirring controversy among scolars and the writer stated different opinions of some scholars.
          The method Winterer and her team used to establish Franklin's network and their findings.

9#
发表于 2014-2-16 07:47:00 | 只看该作者
谢谢楼主!!!

Speaker
A time speak find the need to redesign the satellites to cheaper and smaller as well as qualitified function.
The key parts he mentioned in redesign is telescop and scanner
这不是让全年无休被监视更easy嘛。。。
怎么还是这么多人鼓掌捏!!
节操呢节操。。。。。。
speaker还特别提到了china。。。太囧了。。。
Speed
1--01:53
A report revail the bullying in a team.
His report has convincing evidence from the victim.
It is really hard for victim to stand out to revail all the uglyness.
2--02:33
Most of the part is describing how the coach and his follower harass victim, even victim's female kins.
They just continued to bully victim since victim just walked away without fight back.
Same pattern is found in another case of bullying.
3--01:49
The letters the victim wrote to his parents reflect the suitation he was.
4--01:24
In the time of shakspearean, only men can perform on the stage.
So it was normal in the queers who cross-dressing and maked up.
好多生词不认识><
5--01:52
Introuduced two scnes in which man protended be woman or man protend to be a woman who was protending a man...
In general, shakspeare was much queerer.
Obstacle--05:29
Not sure I got the maining of this obstacle material...
It seems some scholar use electronic technologies to recollect the materials about benjamin franklin.
I don't know why it is a big deal since they only change the tools....
10#
发表于 2014-2-16 08:42:03 | 只看该作者
每天都有首页坐  哈哈~
SPK: world like a dataset and we can get useful informations from photographs captured by Satellite. but most satellites are controlled by private companies because of its big cost. lecturer want to build an samll and cheap satellite which have a higher resolution. they set a balance between cost and shape, and use array scanner to guarantee the resolution. we can use these photographs to collect informations in bigdata era.
SPD: 2.08   3.01   1.59   1.43   2.40
OB:  5.23
historian CW want to study the BF's social network by accumalating details from his letters.-- they found that we should begin the story of BF a little earlier from 1757-- this research is stirring controversy among scholars but winning praise at the same time-- researchers use modern technologies to record data from each letter which BF wrote and received between 1757 and 1775. -- researchers found BF's most prolific correspendents is not the elite in england as we first believed. and this measure will be an useful way to help us understand BF.
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-4-25 11:41
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部