http://new.ted.com/talks/abha_dawesar_life_in_the_digital_now

本帖子中包含更多资源

您需要 登录 才可以下载或查看,没有帐号?立即注册

x
 楼主| 发表于 2014-2-3 23:59:40 | 显示全部楼层
Part II: Speed
Article 2:

To Find Friends, Start at iPhone, Turn Left at Glass
Friend-finding app SocialRadar is starting on the iPhone but has its sights set on Google Glass.
By Rachel Metz on January 30, 2014

[Time 2]
Google won’t approve any apps for its head-worn Glass device that use facial or audio recognition to identify and learn more about the people around you. There are other ways to accomplish this, though, such as by looking at the location information in social network updates.

This is the tactic that SocialRadar, a Washington, D.C.-based startup, will employ with its free app of the same name. The company released its first app for the iPhone on Thursday, and plans to follow it with a Google Glass app in the coming weeks. An Android app will also be available shortly.

Created by Michael Chasen, who cofounded the education tech tools company Blackboard, SocialRadar lets you set a “radar range” around yourself—25 feet, five miles, or the entire United States, for example—in which it will sniff out people you know, letting you see who’s nearby and how you’re connected. It can tell you, for instance, how many of the people around are friends of yours (either within the SocialRadar app itself or on social networks that you’ve connected to your profile), how many people are friends of friends, and which of these people went to the same college or high school as you. Then it can direct you to these people; if they’re also using the app, you can send them a message.

SocialRadar is the latest to attempt to use social and location signals to match up people, which has already proved a tough market for a number of startups like Banjo, Highlight, and Sonar (Highlight is still around, but Banjo has since switched directions and Sonar closed up shop). Like these companies, SocialRadar is focusing largely on the smartphone market for now, which makes sense since so many of us carry them around.
【309】

[Time 3]
But by also paying attention to the growing market for wearable devices, and Google Glass in particular, SocialRadar may be in a better position to gain users than its predecessors.

“It’s a great form factor for this type of technology,” Chasen says. “Imagine you’re wearing Google Glass, you walk into a room, a card appears and says, ‘You know 10 people in this room.’”

Since the Glass app isn’t yet available, I tried out a preview version of SocialRadar on my iPhone this week to get a sense of what SocialRadar’s going for. I connected the app to several of my social network profiles—Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, and Instagram—so it could sort through those for friends’ location check-ins, as well as to my iPhone contacts list. I also left my SocialRadar profile visible to anyone else who was using the app (at the time, it looked like there were under 100 of us) so they could see who and where I was.

Although there weren’t many people near me, I did get some hits. The app indicated there were 11 friends nearby—10 of them scraped from Foursquare check-ins ranging from nine minutes to five hours earlier, and one of them being Chasen, who I “friended” within the app. There were also 33 friends of friends, social network connections’ friends who were also early users of the SocialRadar app and left their profiles open to everyone.

I could see a few more details, such as that one person around me (though in this case, several hundred miles away) went to my college, three also live in San Francisco, and one also enjoys the tunes of Lauryn Hill. Had I wanted to meet one of these people in person, SocialRadar could show me where they were on a map or I could use a compass view that would help me walk in their direction.

[Time 4]
You can also instruct SocialRadar to alert you when certain people are nearby. This can be as simple as telling it to ping you if a college buddy is in the area, or as complex as asking it to let you know when, say, someone who went to your high school and works in the entertainment industry is within half a mile.
While SocialRadar regularly looks for new check-ins from your social network, you get much more accurate location data on friends who actually use the app because the app can more often update your location via GPS. Social check-ins, on the other hand, can be several hours old.

On Glass, Chasen believes SocialRadar can be even more helpful since it offers alerts right in front of a user’s face. He says the SocialRadar Glass app, which the company is still working on, shows you how many people are available around you and their basic connections to you (friends, friends of friends), and lets you choose which group of people you want to see. You can tap the touchpad on the side of the Glass headset to get more information on a person, or to navigate to where they are.

For most people, though, getting this kind of data on your face could take years, if it happens at all. Glass is still an extremely niche product: it’s slated to be released sometime this year, but is still only available by invite and has about 10,000 users.

And the functions that developers can offer through Glass are still pretty limited. For instance, Chasen says, there isn’t yet a way to create SocialRadar alerts on the device.

“It’s kind of a little painful,” he says. “It’s getting there, though.”
Source:MIT Technology Review
http://www.technologyreview.com/news/524006/to-find-friends-start-at-iphone-turn-left-at-glass/

Article 3:
Lunar New Year Ushers In Greatest Human Migration
A new map shows where billions of Chinese go to celebrate.

[Time 5]
Every winter, hundreds of millions of Chinese return home for the Spring Festival, the Chinese celebration of the Lunar New Year (which this year lands on January 31).

The mass migration, known in Chinese as chunyun, is on track to reach an unprecedented scale in 2014. According to Lian Weiliang, the deputy head of China's National Development and Reform Commission, an estimated 3.62 billion trips will be made during the 40-day period surrounding the holiday, an increase of roughly 5.8 percent, or 200 million trips, compared with 2013.

Simply put, it is the largest annual human migration in the world.

Baidu, China's dominant search engine, has now made it possible to visualize this tremendous pilgrimage, unveiling a map that displays Spring Festival travel routes and their popularity over rolling eight-hour periods. To create the map, Baidu used location-based data from its mobile software products to track travelers during the 40-day period. As of August 2013, Baidu was receiving 3.5 billion requests per day for GPS location on its cellphone products, making it the largest source of location data in the People's Republic of China.

Go Home or Face the Wrath of Parents
For migrant workers, many of whom face demanding jobs far from their hometowns, the Spring Festival presents a once-a-year opportunity to return home and reunite with their families.
"It's not always easy to afford train tickets, and the journey can be tedious and unpleasant," said Zhang Xuan, a 25-year-old graphic designer who is traveling from Beijing to her hometown in central China's Henan Province. "But not returning home is not an option-my parents would kill me."

[Time 6]
According to Liang Xiao'an, a spokesperson for the Ministry of Transport, about 3.2 billion trips are expected to be made by road, including long-distance buses and an increasing number of private cars. Roughly 258 million train trips will be made during the period, while another 42 million people are expected to fly home.

The Baidu map allows users to view the country's most traveled routes (in Chinese only), with a feature that ranks cities based on the number of departures and arrivals that they record. To no one's surprise, Beijing and Shanghai, two of China's most populous cities, were consistently at the top of these charts on Thursday, the eve of the Lunar New Year.

Based on the map, most of the routes are concentrated in China's eastern region, particularly in the southeast, where rapid economic development has lured migrant workers from all corners of China. By contrast, the country's western region, which includes Tibet, Inner Mongolia, and the predominantly Uighur province of Xinjiang, remains mostly untraveled.

Why the Sky Loves the Migration
In Beijing, the Spring Festival results in a mass exodus of roughly one-third of the city's estimated 20 million people. The capital's second ring road, which is typically congested with bumper-to-bumper traffic, is left wide open, while Beijing's subways, normally jam-packed with commuters, are empty and serene.
Some locals believe that the reduction in car traffic is responsible for an improvement in Beijing's air quality. On Thursday morning, Beijing's skies, which are often smog-filled and hazy, were a brilliant, clear blue.

Source:Nationalgeographic
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2014/01/140131-lunar-new-year-china-migration-baidu-map/

本帖子中包含更多资源

x
 楼主| 发表于 2014-2-3 23:59:41 | 显示全部楼层
Part III: Obstacle
Article 4:
5 ways Facebook changed us, for better and worse
By Doug Gross, CNN
January 31, 2014 -- Updated 0225 GMT (1025 HKT) | Filed under: Social Media

[Paraphrase 7]
(CNN) -- Ten years and 1.2 billion users into its existence, there's no question that Facebook has changed our lives.

Whether it was an inspired vision, deft execution, a bit of dumb luck or a combination of all three, Mark Zuckerberg's social juggernaut has ingrained itself into the daily lives of digital-age users in a way that forebears like MySpace and contemporaries like Twitter could only imagine.

Which is not to say it's all "likes" and "shares" and happy kid pics. As with any new (or newly discovered) technology, the impact of the end product is largely in the hands of the user. We are, after all, only human -- with all the joy and sadness, decency and ugliness that that entails.

So here, as Facebook turns 10 on Tuesday, is a look back at five ways the social network has changed us -- for better and for worse.

Share! Share! Share!
The good: Wedding announcements? Thing of the past. Birth announcement? Just slap an Instagram shot of that bouncing baby boy or girl on your timeline.

Dating? Graduated? Bought a house? Got a puppy? Same deal.

We take it for granted now, but the ability to share major events with all the people closest to you with a single click of the mouse is unprecedented.

There were the Myspaces of the world before Facebook. But mom, your second cousin and Aunt Jenny weren't on them.

And it's not just the good stuff, either. Changing that relationship status to "single" can save you from those awkward "How's Joey doing? You two are so cute together!" conversations.

The bad: Overshare! Overshare! Overshare!

Seriously. Ten years in, some folks haven't figured out what everyone on their friends list wants, or needs, to know.

OK, sometimes those pictures of your dinner look delicious.Sometimes.

But the detailed updates on your mundane day are mind-numbing and the play-by-play of your 3-year-old's potty training is just -- too much.

We all want to know you got a wedding ring. The fact that you just polished the one you've had for 14 years? Not so much.

The past is not really past
The good: When a site has 1.2 billion users (OK, we all know some of those are multiple or abandoned accounts, so let's say at least a cool billion) it's a pretty amazing database of the world's Web-enabled population.

That means your odds of finding just about anybody are a heck of a lot better than they were 10 years ago.

There have been the remarkable tales, like the woman who -- after years of failed efforts -- reunited after 44 years with her birth mother. How long did it take on Facebook? Two days.

For most of us, it's less dramatic than that. Childhood friends who moved long ago, college roommates who drifted away, even former teachers who served as inspirations are now but a quick search away. There's no doubt we have friends because of Facebook that we wouldn't have otherwise.

The bad: Sometimes, drifting apart isn't a bad thing.

Yes, your old high-school classmates got annoying and your cousin's politics disgust you. But we're not talking about that.

We're talking about exes. And past flirtations. And cheating.

Nostalgia is part of life. But, with Facebook, getting nostalgic about an old crush or flame could lead to a late-night Facebook message. Or, you know, a poke.

"I see Facebook issues breaking up marriages all the time," Gary Traystman, a divorce attorney in New London, Connecticut, told the Wall Street Journal.

More than 80% of U.S. divorce attorneys say they've seen an increase in cases involving social media, according to the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, and one-third of all divorce filings last year contained the word Facebook, according to a survey byDivorce Online.

Temptation is always out there. But with Facebook, it can be a little too convenient.

It makes you happy
The good: In 2009, a survey of 2,600 college students by researchers at the University of Texas showed that those who were the heaviest users of Facebook were the most satisfied with their lives. They also were more likely to be engaged socially and politically.

More recently, a University of Wisconsin study showed that, after five minutes of looking at their own shiny Facebook profiles, users experienced a significant boost in self-esteem. A 2011 Cornell University study delivered similar results.

"For many people, there's an automatic assumption that the Internet is bad," associate professor Jeffrey Hancock said at the time. "This is one of the first studies to show that there's a psychological benefit of Facebook."

The bad: Or maybe it makes you unhappy.

Other studies have looked at aspects of Facebook use and the results have been less encouraging.

Last year, a University of Michigan researcher found that looking at posts by Facebook friends -- you know, the photos of smiling kids on vacation in the Caribbean or announcements about promotions, engagements and awesome nights on the town -- can make us feel sadder about our own humdrum lives.

"On the surface, Facebook provides an invaluable resource for fulfilling the basic human need for social connection," the study reads. "Rather than enhancing well-being, however, these findings suggest that Facebook may undermine it."

As with many things, your mileage may very. But what's clear is that Facebook has become such a part of our lives that it tweaks our emotions, for better or worse.

Every day is a reunion
The good: Reuniting with classmates from high school or college has never been easier. Pre-Facebook, a class reunion committee looking to celebrate five, 10 or 20 years post-diploma faced a thankless task.

"Where does Jennifer live these days?" "Who has Steven's phone number?" "Do you know Wanda's married name?"

Now? One Facebook event invitation and you can focus on booking the best '80s cover band available.

The bad: If every day is a reunion, why have a reunion?

Actually reuniting with old classmates is losing some of its appeal when we know the names of the former theater club president's three kids and which character from "The Hunger Games" she'd be.

Timothy Davis, co-founder of reunion website Classreport.com, told the Baltimore Sun that he has noticed a drop-off in the number of reunions in recent years, particularly among folks in their mid- to late 20s.

"People I haven't talked to in years will see my wedding pictures on Facebook, then I'll see them in person and we won't say one word to each other ...," Rebecca Miller, a 23-year-old whose five-year reunion fizzled to a small party at the class president's house, told the paper. "Why go to a high school reunion when you're going to stand around and go, 'So, how did that doctor's appointment go yesterday?'"

Privacy
The good: For those willing to find and use them, Facebook provides tools that let you select who sees what.

So, while grandma is welcome to look at those pics of the kids playing in the snow, she might not need to be privy to your strongly worded rant about the cable guy who is two days late. You can direct that one instead to buddies with a proper appreciation for your expansive vocabulary.

Rival Twitter is designed by default to be a public forum, where you broadcast your 140-character pearls of wisdom to the world. Facebook allows that, too, but is more geared toward limiting your thoughts to certain family and friends.

The bad: Well, you know.

Security breaches have been a reality of many websites' growth. But as its user base grew dramatically, Facebook's problems (like the time CEO and founder Mark Zuckerberg got his own page hacked) played out in front of a massive, and nervous, audience.

While Facebook has privacy settings that let users protect information, some privacy advocates say the network doesn't make them easy enough to find and use. (Facebook has worked to ease those concerns, especially for younger users).

At the end of the day, Facebook benefits when you decide to share more openly. The details about your life that you share on Facebook are rounded up and compiled into a profile of you that helps advertisers target you with things they think you'll like.

So, when you announced your pregnancy and were, soon after, bombarded with Facebook ads for a bunch of baby stuff? That was no coincidence.

To be clear, Facebook is not handing advertisers information about you personally. But, somewhere, there exists a nameless profile of a user with your hometown, gender, age and likes and dislikes, just waiting to be used for marketing purposes.

That, in a nutshell, is the entry fee to use this remarkable social tool. Yes, Facebook has changed the way we communicate. Whether it is truly cost-free remains another question.

【1462】
Source:CNN
http://edition.cnn.com/2014/01/31/tech/social-media/facebook-changes/index.html?hpt=te_t1

本帖子中包含更多资源

x
 楼主| 发表于 2014-2-3 23:59:42 | 显示全部楼层
自沙~~~~明天再补吧
越障 是简单了点,就当过年福利

Speaker:Wired appliances become as important as food and shelter now.People can not live without them.The internet shrunk the space as well as time.Internet warps the past.But the digital now gives completely different feeling to people as reality does.Digital is much more about information but reality is much more about emotion.Technology is changing out deepest core and time flow and cannibalize time.But time is not data,attention is time and love is attention.We should bring our time back to reality.

01:57
A new app that can help you find friends around.This market may be a tough one.

01:31
The SocialRadar can be used on Google Glass in the future,which attract many users for it.Introduce several function of this app.

01:30
The glass can provide infromation that you want in front of your eyes.The function of glass is still limited and people may need to wait it for years.

01:06
Baidu uses its mobile software to track travelers and makes a chunyun map throught these data.

00:55
The Baidu map allows users to view the country's most traveled routes.And unsurprisingly Beijing and Shanghai are the busiest cities.

06:35
Main Idea:5 ways Facebook changed us, for better and worse
1 Facebook makes sharing sth easy to everyone,but overshare may make someone annoyed.
2 Facebook can help you find old friends who moved away,but at sometime it will be a disaster,e.g. in marriage.
3 Watching Facebook profiles may make people happy,however watching other people's awesome thing can make us feel sadder about our own humdrum lives.
4 Facebook make reunion easier but reunion is meanless if doing it everyday.
5 Facebook has a good privacy policy,but everyone knows that nothing is safe on the internet.
发表于 2014-2-4 00:53:51 | 显示全部楼层
板凳~~  谢谢疏离

Speaker
abstract tech has become our identity
indirect, but our story is based on direct experience
2 dimensions of time: lifespan and time frame of direct experience
we miss the inner experience.
we need to understand intentions and motivations, not just the material world.
digital now: distract us, illusion that we are in real time
time is not data. it cannot be stored
we can choose the solutions, innovations, and moments that restore the flow of time, instead of fragmenting it.

Speed
time2: 1:34:62 309
SocialRadar attempts to use location and social signals to match up people. It focuses on the smartphone market.
time3: 1:32:70 337
The author talks about his or her experience of using the app.
time4: 1:30:74 302
The functions that developers can offer are still limited.
time5: 1:33:35 268
An estimated 3.62 billion trips will be made during the 40-day period (about 5.8% increase). It's the largest annual human migration in the world.
time6: 1:31:51 254
Baidu map allows users to view the country's most traveled routes.
The reduction in car traffic may explain the improvement of Beijing's air quality.

Obstacle: 8:20:17 1462
Five ways social network has changed us:
1. share major events with others, but some people overshare.
2. provides an amazing database, but temptation is too convenient on Facebook
3. improves self-esteem, tweaks our emotions for better or worse
4. makes it easy for reunion, but if we can see others' lives on social networks everyday, why do we have a reunion?
5. privacy issues

发表于 2014-2-4 01:18:45 | 显示全部楼层
谢谢。。最后一篇很有趣

2:2'04:154
-Google will not approve for head-wear glass to do facial and social recognition.
-SocialRadar is a app that you can find friends near you.

3:2'12:
-author explains how Socialradar works

4:2'06
-continue with how socialradar works and the release of Google glass

5:1'57
-Chunyun is the largest human migration
-it increased 5.8% compare to last year
-interview with people: what happen if they don't go home for spring festival.

6:1'55
-shanghai and beijing are the busiest cities for trips to be made.
-almost 1/3 of population left for spring festival in Beijing. In return, clearer sky and less traffic jam.

7:9'52
main idea: how Facebook change our lives
-share:people easily to know the big event. overshare is not good
-past: easy to find friends who lost contact long time ago. increase divorce rate
-happy:boost self-esteem. emotion changes too often
-reunion: reunion with friends everyday. what's the poin of reunion
-privacy
发表于 2014-2-4 08:24:19 | 显示全部楼层
谢谢楼主!!

Speaker
people stood in line for charging their wires when powered off
noval and self are same
self need immediate time and whole flow of time
technology altered the flow of time
time does not flow in the digit world in the same way as it did in reality
techology can acheived the time
take time back from digital

Speed
1--01:33
SocialRadar is working on new kind of app for people recognize the identities nearby.
It published Iphone version alreay and is working on Andriod version now.

2--01:40
Google glass does not have this function yet.
SocialRadar can connect the owner's online profile,phone contacts to create checklist.
And people could use this app to find out the location of some who also use this app and whose profile is open

3--01:17
This app could set an alert for special person for checkin.
It will need sometime to release this app to whole public.

4--01:31
Chunyun is the largest annual human migration in the world.
Even it is very hard for some people go home, they still will do it for the reunite with family.

5--01:27
The most migration are from south easten of China to every corn.
The westen region remains mostly untraveled.
Beijing's traffic is back to smooth, and sky became clear blue.

Obstacle--08:18
Facebook changes people's lives in five way.
It has good and bad effects in all the ways: Sharing, reunion, privacy, feeling about life, past life
发表于 2014-2-4 08:27:17 | 显示全部楼层
疏离~~~~~~~
================================================
[5:28]->Although Google Glass doesn't allow apps that can identify people and give detailed information at once by scanning people's faces, some apps that  have the same result come out by identifying people's location.
->The app can offer users information about people that are around them.Information can be avaiable faster if others also use the app.
->There are also some limitations.   
[1:26]
->Chunyun is the biggest migration on the earth.
->It is an unpleasant trip, but people have to be back to home at this time to unite with family.
[9:49]
Facebook changed us in 5 ways: for better or for worse
Share:
for good: We can share out happiness with friends.
for bad: people tend to share too much about their life and it is boring.
Past:
for good: People can find their friends or someone they haven't been in touched with easily by using facebook.
for bad: People can find their exs easily too which becomes a way that leads to divorce.
Happiness:
for good: People who tend to use facebook are happier
for bad: people who look at posts will feel sadder.
union:
for good: people can know what others are doing quickly by using facebook
for bad: people don't have to union since they have nothing to talk about
Pivacy:
for good: it will be easy for people who want to use these privacy info.
for bad: people will let their info out by using Facebook.
发表于 2014-2-4 08:40:47 | 显示全部楼层
2. 2'06
SR is an app that can connect with Google Glass to help people match up each other. SR seems to be success.
3. 2'19
SR can be used in many ways. the author link SR with several social network profiles.
4. 1'57
SR has a bright future and need a tough work to be developted.
5. 2'06
introduce an important and huge migration on Chinese Lunar New Year.
6. 1'59
Beijing and Shanghai have the most people who went home before New Year. And the migration somehow helped the air to be fresh.
7. 6'30
Facebook changes us in 5 ways. each of them have two sides.

最后一篇结构很清楚就不记啦。。重回小分队~感觉真好
发表于 2014-2-4 09:07:59 | 显示全部楼层
占首页咯~谢谢楼主~
Speaker: Time is not data and time cannot be stored. The speaker said digital devices are distracting us from enjoying the moment.
         The completeness and flow of love have been broken up. But we can choose to take our time back.

time2: 1min 44"
       SocialRadar has launched an app for iphone and Google Glass soon to help people find friends around.

time3: 1min 59"
       A deep descriptiong of how the SocialRadar works. The writer links SocialRadar to several social profiles.

time4: 1min 39"
       People can also instruct SR to alert them when certain people are nearby. On Glass, Chasen believes SR can be
       even more helpful since it offers alerts right in front of a user's face.
       For most people, it can take years to get this kind of data on their face.
       The functions that developers can offer through Glass are still pretty limited.

time5: 1min 40"
       The mass migration, known in Chinese as chunyun, is on track to reach an unprecedented scale in 2014.
       Baidu has now made it possible to visualize this tremendous pilgrimage using cellphone signals.
       Many workers must go home before the Spring Festival or they would face the wrath of parents.

time6: 1min 45"
       Ministry of Transport has summerized trips will be made through different means of transportation.
       Beijing and Shanghai have the most departures and arrivals according to the Baidu map.
       The mass migration leads to the blue sky and clean air in Beijing.

Obstacle: 11min 34"
          Main idea: Five aspects that Facebook has changed our life.
          The first aspect is sharing. The good thing is that Facebook allows us to share delightful things in
          our life with others but the bad thing is that sometimes it is just too much.
          The second aspect is the past is not really past. The good thing is that we can know the recent life of
          our old friends. The bad thing is that Facebook is said to have raised the divorce rate in the U.S.. Sometimes
          drifting apart isn't a bad thing.
          The third part is that Facebook makes us happy. It is true that we can share happy moments on Facebook, but if
          we see others are sharing something delightful and compare to our own humdrum life, we might be unhappy.
          The fourth aspect is that Facebook makes everyday a reunion. The good thing is that reuniting with classmates from
          high school or college has never been easier. The bad thing is that it makes reunion less valuable and expecting.
          The last aspect is about privacy. The good thing is that Facebook provides tools that let you select who see what.
          The bad thing is that our personal files are inevitably used for marketing by some companies.
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-4-18 14:09
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部