返回列表 发新帖
查看: 6824|回复: 39
打印 上一主题 下一主题

[阅读小分队] 【Native Speaker每日综合训练—30系列】【30-20】文史哲

[复制链接]
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 2014-1-19 03:21:42 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
Stay tuned for the latest post! Follow us here! →  http://weibo.com/u/3476904471

Greetings to everyone!

From now on I'll be sharing articles about culture, history and humanity with you in every Saturday post.
Please feel free to throw me some feedbacks on my posts.

Now, let's preview today's choice of topics:

Article 1: What exactly does the word "casanovas" refer to? And what has changed today?
Article 2: A critic of the movie 12 years a slave in the email format written by Stephanie Zacharek, a chief film critic at the Village Voice.
Article 3: A surprising phenomenon about the "beef powerhouse".
In the end, article 4 elaborates on the news regarding Egyptian politics on a more sophisticated level. Obstacle section today is relatively long, comparing to its usual length.

Feast your eyes!

————————————————————————————————————————————————

Part I:    Speaker

Article 1
Downsizing for Italy's Casanovas

file:///C:\Users\apple\AppData\Local\Temp\ksohtml\wps_clip_image-15608.png
[Rephrase 1]

[Dialog: 06'20]
Mp3:

Transcript:

Source: 6 minute English
http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/general/sixminute/2014/01/140109_6min_casanova.shtml

本帖子中包含更多资源

您需要 登录 才可以下载或查看,没有帐号?立即注册

x
收藏收藏 收藏收藏
沙发
 楼主| 发表于 2014-1-19 03:21:43 | 只看该作者
Part II:   Speed

Article 2
Why is 12 Years a Slave so hard to talk about?
Janurary 17th, 2014 | Stephanie Zacharek

Michael Fassbender, Lupita Nyong'o, and Chiwetel Ejiofor in 12 Years a Slave.
(Photo courtesy Francois Duhamel/Fox Searchlight Pictures)

[Time 2]
Dear Dana, Andrew, and Mark,

I, too, spent the last evening rewatching parts of 12 Years a Slave, partly, as Dana did, to gain a better understanding of my initial reaction to it. But as I was watching—and my feelings about the movie haven’t changed since I wrote my initial, mostly negative review—what really struck me is that even though many people feel passionate about this movie, it’s still not the kind of work people are eager to fight about, or even talk about. I don’t necessarily mean that people are afraid to talk about it (though that would be understandable, because the subject matter is so loaded). But look at us here in Movie Club: Some of us love, or at least deeply admire, 12 Years a Slave; others have problems with it. Even we, people who generally like to argue about things we care about (pro or con), felt a more immediate need to wrestle with Her, The Wolf of Wall Street, and even Captain Phillips.

I'm not trying to draw any conclusions, really just floating an observation. Since we began yakking on Monday, 12 Years a Slave is the shadow in the room that kept drawing our apprehensive gaze: “At some point, we’ll have to talk about it.” Truthfully, I still don't want to talk about it. The movie tells such a harrowing story—and yet, for all its depicted horror, left me feeling so little. Even so, I know that movies are not all about "feelings," especially "my feelings," and Andrew, you've made an eloquent case for the intellectual and moral challenges the movie presents. And I should say that I do like the way John Ridley’s screenplay mirrors the courtly language of Solomon Northup’s book: You read it and believe the elegance and orderliness of words can actually mean something, that grammar can defy horror.
[339 words]

[Time 3]
McQueen is an inherently elegant, orderly filmmaker, too—as you pointed out, Andrew, a formalist—but I think his precision fails him here. On both the first and the second viewing, I was keenly aware of the careful, deliberate camera work during the pivotal scene in which Solomon is forced to whip Patsey. It’s a graceful, comma-shaped arc that sweeps gently to capture the monstrosity of the moment—Solomon's horror and despair, Fassbender's figurative mustache-twirling blankness. And ultimately, it rests on Patsey's face, so beautiful and serene when it’s at peace but now grimacing in pain. This is camera work that says, "Behold!" instead of just "Look." As if merely seeing wouldn’t be enough.
[133 words]

[Time 4]
Some have made the case that Django Unchained and Mandingo—let's call them both exploitation movies, for lack of a better term—say more about the horrors of slavery than 12 Years a Slave does. I hate to introduce that pretty wham-o idea without having the time or the space to explore it. And I’ve never seen Mandingo, something I have to remedy. But there is something about the bluntness of exploitation that makes it better suited than “arthouse films”—hate to use that phrase, but Andrew has already introduced the idea that 12 Years a Slave was never intended to be a multiplex blockbuster—to deal with certain real-life horrors. Maybe because with exploitation, we see first and think later. Or maybe we don’t think, but often the bruise from the blow remains. 12 Years a Slave left me with no bruises. That’s not to say some images won’t stick with me: That vision of Patsey sitting in the field, making dolls out of cornhusks. Others are hard at work, but she’s been allowed this special privilege because of her cruel master’s favoritism (for lack of a better word). That image tells us so much about Patsey’s innocence, but also about her need to shut out the horrors around her, if only for a few peaceful minutes. It’s a seemingly gentle moment with ferociousness packed inside. I wanted more of that from 12 Years a Slave. I wanted more bruises, instead of feeling, as I did, that I’d just watched a very thoughtful, considered, artistic film about the horror of slavery.
[288 words]

[Time 5]
And now I’m thinking if I write another paragraph, about something, anything—how much I laughed at the virginal (and trying not to be) Aubrey Plaza in The To-Do List, or how much fun I had at Best Man Holiday, a sequel to a hit movie that we had to wait 14 years for—I’ll prolong the Movie Club experience just a little bit longer. But there’s no way to stave off the inevitable. It’s been a pleasure, Dana, Mark, Andrew, and Wesley, to be here with you this week. You’ve challenged me and energized me in ways you can’t imagine. I’m fortified for the year ahead. Mark, you’ve even got me looking forward to Oscar season, and that’s something! So now I hand the discussion over to you.

Lots of love,
Stephanie

[153 words]

Source: the slate
http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/the_movie_club/features/2014/movie_club_2013/_12_years_a_slave_why_is_the_movie_so_hard_to_talk_about.html?wpisrc=burger_bar

Article 3
How India—Yes, India—Became a Global Beef Powerhouse

Janurary 15th, 2014 | Joshua Keating

[Time 6]
One surprising fact from the Heinrich Böll Foundation’s new “Meat Atlas” is that India, a country where many people have a religious veneration for cows and a third of the population is vegetarian, has emerged as a major player in the world beef market. Just not cow beef:

The star of the day is India, thanks to its buffalo meat production, which nearly doubled between 2010 and 2013. India is forcing its way onto the world market, where 25 percent of the beef is in fact now buffalo meat from the subcontinent. According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, India became the world’s largest exporter of beef in 2012—just ahead of Brazil. Buffaloes are inexpensive to keep. This makes their meat a dollar a kilo cheaper than beef from cattle. In addition, the Indian government has invested heavily in abattoirs. Faced with the high price of feed, Brazilian cattle-raisers are switching to growing soybeans. This presents an opportunity–albeit a small one–for Indian buffalo-meat exporters.

Though buffaloes are less venerated than cows in India, the country’s emergence as a major player in the beef market is still controversial among Hindu nationalists and has been criticized by Narendra Modi, currently the favorite to become prime minister after this year’s elections.

While killing cows for food is illegal in many part of India, there’s a flourishing illegal trade. Not surprising given that there are more than 280 million cows in India, more than any other country. In one highly publicized incident, violence broke out between students during a beef-eating festival at a university in Hyderabad in 2012.
[282 words]

Source: the world
http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_world_/2014/01/15/how_india_yes_india_became_a_global_beef_powerhouse.html

本帖子中包含更多资源

x
板凳
 楼主| 发表于 2014-1-19 03:21:44 | 只看该作者
Part III:   Obstacle

Article 4
If Everyone Votes Yes, Is It Democracy?
Janurary 17th, 2014 | Posted by Peter Hessler

[Paraphrase 7]
"Egypt is the gift of the Nile for Egyptians and the gift of Egyptians to humanity." Thus begins the new Egyptian constitution, which, according to preliminary results, was approved by 97.7 per cent of voters this week. The percentage of voters who didn’t read the full document probably also ranges well above ninety—in conversations with many Cairenes, I met only one person who said he had read the whole thing. It’s hard to blame the others. The constitution opens with a strange, rambling preamble that in translation stretches for more than thirteen hundred words, mentioning, in the following order, Allah, Moses, the Virgin Mary, Jesus, the Prophet Muhammad, Muhammad Ali Pasha, Refaa the Azharian, Ahmed Orabi, Mostafa Kamel, Mohamed Farid, Saad Zaghloul, Mostafa el-Nahhas, Talaat Harb, and Gamal Abdel Nasser. The Nile inundates three of the first six sentences. It’s a preamble to everything—not just the constitution but human civilization itself:

In the outset of history, the dawn of human consciousness arose and shone forth in the hearts of our great ancestors, whose goodwill banded together to found the first central State that regulated and organized the life of Egyptians on the banks of the Nile.

The new document replaces the previous constitution, which was prepared under the government of Mohamed Morsi, the Muslim Brotherhood leader who became Egypt’s first democratically elected President, in the summer of 2012. Last year, after massive demonstrations across the nation on June 30th, Morsi was deposed by the military, and his constitution was suspended. But there are many similarities between these two constitutions. Under Morsi, the preamble struck a similar lofty tone; it referred to “the timeless Nile” and ran on for almost nine hundred words. It described itself as the product of “the same civilization that gave humanity the first alphabet, that opened the way to monotheism and the knowledge of the Creator.” Nowadays, it reads like a preamble to hubris—long-winded references to history and culture in a document that died within six months. In a single century, Egypt has had nine or ten constitutions, depending on how you count them. It has held three constitutional referendums since the Egyptian Arab Spring began, on January 25, 2011.

Perhaps the most disturbing thing about the 97.7-per-cent approval rate is that there is no overt evidence of widespread fraud. But this is why voting is only a small part of what constitutes a democracy; since the revolution, Egypt has held seven fraud-free national votes, and yet the country still doesn’t have a single government official who was elected to his position democratically. (Everybody voted into national office has been subsequently removed by coup or court decision, and local governments have yet to hold elections.) Since Morsi’s ouster, his supporters have been engaged in a bitter struggle with the Army and the police, leaving more than a thousand civilians dead. The courts have ruled the Muslim Brotherhood to be an illegal organization, and the Brothers and many of their supporters have boycotted the referendum. Last month, after a bombing killed sixteen people in the city of Mansoura, the government declared the Brotherhood to be a terrorist group, even though there was no evidence of its involvement. (The Brotherhood publicly denounced the attack.)

In this climate, a number of international monitoring organizations declined to help monitor the vote on the constitution. Alessandro Parziale, the director of the Cairo field office for the Carter Center, told me that the referendum had been so rushed, and the Carter Center received its accreditations so late, that it was unable to make the necessary preparations for a responsible monitoring of the polls. Instead, it is focussing on writing a report about the new constitution and the national situation. “The broader picture is more important than these two days,” Parziale told me. “We don’t think the process has been inclusive. And we think that democracy is all about inclusiveness.”

He noted that the Carter Center didn’t send monitors for last year’s constitutional referendum, either. Under Morsi, too, the climate was deeply undemocratic. But at least there had been a vigorous and public campaign against the Morsi constitution. This year, I didn’t see a single sign in Cairo advocating a “no” vote, and a half-dozen people were arrested after they were caught trying to organize such a campaign. The day before the referendum, the High Election Commission held a press conference, and I asked if it was legal for an Egyptian citizen to post a sign calling for people to vote no. Hisham Mokhtar, the commission’s spokesman, refused to answer directly. “If some person has been arrested right now,” he said, “then the investigating authority has evidence of their involvement in certain crimes.”

At the polls, few Egyptians seemed bothered by the unfair political climate. The turnout was relatively strong—more than forty-two per cent, significantly higher than during the last referendum. In Ard al Liwa, a poor Cairo neighborhood that previously generated significant support for the Brotherhood, I spent time at three polling stations and failed to meet anybody who told me he had voted no. The most common remark I heard was “Il beled lazem timshi“—“The country needs to move forward.” Egyptians are famous for their optimism, which has been a source of social stability during the past three years. But that frame of mind can also lead to bad political instincts. They want to say yes; they want to believe; they want to be convinced that the next leader will be better. “Egypt will be fine,” Faris Hassan, a middle-aged contractor, told me. “Egypt is mentioned five times in the Koran.”

Hassan was smoking a shisha pipe at a coffee shop near the polling station, and he told me that he planned to vote yes. He had voted for Morsi in 2012. “He was a good man, but there was so much corruption around him,” Hassan said. I asked him if the Brothers are really terrorists.

“Yes,” he said, without hesitating. “I see what is happening on television, the things in Sinai, and I can see that they are terrorists.”

I had heard similar comments from many others. But Hassan surprised me when I asked about Sisi. “I’m telling you, if Sisi runs and wins, then the people will hate him,” he said. “Right now everybody loves him. But, once he gets the chair, then it will all change.”

This is hard to recognize in the 97.7 per cent: beneath the surface, there’s an incredible volatility to the Egyptian majority. Outsiders tend to see two entrenched sides, the security forces and the Islamists, but in fact most Egyptians occupy a much less partisan and less predictable political space. And they still have power, whether it comes through the vote or through public protests.

Thus far, everybody who has tried to run the country in the post-Tahrir era has failed to understand how quickly things can change. Until the bitter end, Morsi and the other Brotherhood leaders truly believed that they remained popular, simply because they had won elections in the past. But, at the polls this week, I met many people who had voted yes on both constitutions, and it was common to talk to a former Morsi supporter who was now an enthusiastic fan of Sisi.

As an outsider, it’s hard to be optimistic about near-term prospects in Egypt, but there are a few reasons to temper the pessimism. Despite the disastrous political climate, most experts believe that the new constitution is an improvement on the previous version. It gives far too much power to the military and the judiciary, two institutions that have always been wary of Islamists, and the preamble and other details are off-putting. (Article 44: “Every citizen is guaranteed the right to enjoy the River Nile.”) But there’s more attention to basic human rights, especially for women. And it establishes that within five years there will be democratic elections for councils at the village and other local levels, which were never part of the Egyptian system in the past.
[1410 words]

[The rest]
The most heartening thing about the referendum, though, was the relative lack of violence. Egypt won’t go the way of Syria—there’s too much power in the Army and the police, and too little support for the Brotherhood. And Egyptians have a social cohesiveness that allows them to survive despite a deeply dysfunctional government. Throughout the chaos of the past three years, even a big city like Cairo has remained remarkably safe and functional. There are signs that terrorist activity is expanding, but, thus far, the attacks have been focussed on the police, the Army, and other government institutions, rather than on the public. At five o’clock in the morning of the first day of the referendum, a bomb exploded in front of a Cairo court; the façade was damaged, but there were no injuries. The attack was clearly a statement—but a very different statement than would have been made by a midday bomb at a crowded polling station.

The question, though, is whether people will be pushed to more extreme acts. The most frustrating aspect of the political climate is that even after the game has been won the oppression is relentless; if the authorities had allowed opposition groups to campaign against the new constitution, it still would have passed easily. But the lack of any democratic tradition in Egypt means that anybody in power can’t seem to tolerate dissent. The Brotherhood behaved in similar ways when Morsi was President.

For three years, this has been the pattern of Egyptian politics, and there’s a risk that citizens internalize it as simply being part of democracy—after all, they’ve had fair votes throughout these fights. While I was visiting one polling station in Ard al Liwa, I noticed campaign signs posted by a new political group called the Confrontation Party. Its symbol consisted of two heads in silhouette, facing off; one was black, and the other had the colors of the Egyptian flag. The sign said, “Yes to the Constitution.” The Confrontation Party’s Facebook page explains that its mission is “social justice for all classes,” and there’s a photograph of Mohammad Zakaria, the founder, wearing a gray suit and tie. He’s standing between a soldier and a cop, and all three men are smiling.
[400 words]

Source: New yorker
http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/newsdesk/2014/01/if-everyone-votes-yes-is-it-democracy.html#entry-more

本帖子中包含更多资源

x
地板
发表于 2014-1-19 05:07:10 | 只看该作者
睡不着 坐个板凳   谢谢兔兔~

Speaker
Casanova: smooth talker, charming, great at seducing women, especially refers to Italian men
economic problems --> they are struggling b/c they usually attract women by money, but now they can't afford it
Italian women have to expect less or go somewhere else.
downsizing=spending less
Italian is in recession --> cost of living is rising, have to learn to control those romantic habits, can no longer support two women (maybe good for married women LOL)

Speed
Time2: 02:37:27 472
People are passionate about the movie, but they don't talk about it.
The author thinks that the filmmaker fails at precision.
Time3: 01:52:95 288
The author wanted more bruises instead of feelings from the move.
Time4: 00:42:21 153
Don't know how to paraphrase this…
Time5: 02:04:29 282
India became the world's largest exporter of beef in 2012. The country's emergence as a major player in the beef market is controversial and has been criticized. Though killing cows for food is illegal in many part of India, there's a flourishing illegal market.

Obstacle: 10:21:43 1810
Egypt has held 7 fraud-free national votes, but no government official was elected to his position democratically.
The courts have ruled the Muslim Brotherhood to be an illegal organization, even though there's no evidence.
A number of international monitoring organizations refused to help monitor the vote on the constitution because they don't think the process has been inclusive while democracy is all about inclusiveness.
Some people were arrested as they had votes no. There's an incredible volatility to the Egyptian majority under the 97.7% approval rate.
The lack of any democratic tradition in Egypt means that anybody in power cannot tolerate dissent. There's a risk that citizens internalize it as simply being part of democracy.
5#
发表于 2014-1-19 08:19:23 | 只看该作者
Part 1
1.         What is Casanovas? -----a man who is charming, talks smoothly and has many sexual partners.
2.        Then talked about some Casanovas in Italy, and used some examples to describe it.
3.        Conclusion-----Casanovas just rely on their good-looking, and they cannot afford so many sexual partners any more. When such guys reduce, the rate of divorce will go down.

Part 2
1’49
The author spent time rewatching a movie which named A 12 Years Old Slave to understand fully about his first feeling about this movie.
Some people did not want to talk about the movie, but the members in movie club still love it.
The author did not expect to talk about the movie.
50’’
Some special things about the movie.
1’50
Django Unchained and Mandingo are two movies which are same kinds of movies as 12 Years old Slave. And the author gave some reasons why some cruel scenes did not stick him.
52’
This paragraph was different with formal ones, the author just share some personal stuff with his friends.

2’01
India has become the major player in the world beef market.
Some facts about the beef exploration in India.
However, the exploration does not let every people happy.
There are many illegal trade about killing cows in India.
8’21
6#
发表于 2014-1-19 08:34:51 | 只看该作者
Thx, 兔子〜

Speaker:
the origin of the word Casanova and how economic crisis effects Casanovas in Italy,
7#
发表于 2014-1-19 09:15:36 | 只看该作者
首页~~~
文史哲读起来一如既往的痛苦

Speaker:casanova is a kind of man that is a smooth talker,charmful and great to attract women,who may have lots of sexual partners.Latin laver.Itlian casanovas always buy gifts to women to attract them.But for the economic recessionin Italy,they do not have enough money to support a woman any more.

01:31
The movie 12 Years a Slave is such a harrowing story that people do not want to talk about it.And the director present the movie successfully in the book's way.

00:40
The great camera work in the movie.

01:28
Compare to other movies about salvary,12 Years a Slave put more attention on deal with certain real-life horrors.

00:32
Recommand this movie.

01:45
The Inida become the largest beef exporter in the world for several reasons.

08:55
Main Idea: Polotical issues in Egypt.
the new Egyptian constitution was approved by 97.7 per cent of voters this week.Under this situation,many things should be thought about.
Introduce the politc climat and government changes in Egypt.This high rate vote doesn't means the government is democratic.
Voting is only a small part of what constitutes a democracy.For the politicalclimate,a number of international monitoring organizations declined to help monitor the vote on the constitution.
Egyptians are optimistic to government,which lead to the social stability,but this also cause band political instincts.
Despite the disastrous political climate,this new constitution is an improvement to Egypt.
8#
发表于 2014-1-19 09:31:06 | 只看该作者
Speak
Casanovas are good at sexualadventure.
Because of econimic problems, they need to spend less on the presents.

Speed
1--01:58 I am not sure I really understand this.
It seems Author try to say this is a disappointed move cuz it does not reflect the horror as the original
book does

2--00:49 Lots of words I don't understand.

3--01:51 Compared other two movies with the first one. Author wants more memories about the scenes film should give him/her.

4--00:46 Thanks the people helped the author

5--02:09 Indian worship cows makes India a country keeps biggest number of cows. Now they export cows too.
This export invokes critics in India.

Obstacle
10:23 1410
00:13 400
Not quite understand after one time reading.
9#
发表于 2014-1-19 11:11:06 | 只看该作者
首页!!!!!
2:05s
0:49s
1:42s
0:45s
the praise for the slavery movie:12 years a slave,differnent way from the previous similar movies and the artistic way to tell the story in slavery
1:24s
7:38s
why after so many years egypr have no realsitic democracy
the violation of the politics in eygpt
why
1bad political environment
people are always postive and easy to change their votes
the public promotion to say no is not allowedd
2uncontrolled power of the army and judicial
10#
发表于 2014-1-19 11:24:05 | 只看该作者
枣糕兔 发表于 2014-1-19 03:21
Part III:   Obstacle
Article 4If Everyone Votes Yes, Is It Democracy?Janurary 17th, 2014 ...

Time 1 3’04’’ 不知所云
Time 2 57’ Discussed a detail scene of the movie, and expressed the author’s disapproval about it.
Time 3 2’08’’ compare another movie with XX. The author wants more bruises rather than feelings in the XX.
Time 4 59’ 不知所云
Time 5 1’55’’ Buffalo produced in India consists the biggest part of meat producing worldwide. This evoked controversy in India.
Obstacle 9’43’’
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-4-25 08:38
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部