本帖子中包含更多资源

您需要 登录 才可以下载或查看,没有帐号?立即注册

x
 楼主| 发表于 2013-12-25 21:47:21 | 显示全部楼层
  Part II: Speed        

Article 2           

Lessons on Winning and Profitability from Jack Welch

[Warm up ]
Jack Welch is one of the most prominent CEOs of the last century. He has earned name recognition from people around the world.

For the uninitiated, Jack Welch is the former CEO of General Electric. He assumed the role in 1981 and remained in the position until his retirement in 2001. Welch is candid and shoots straight from the hip. He pulls no punches and encourages entire companies to do the same.

And if there’s anything to know about Jack Welch, it’s this – he’s all about winning. If a company or division at GE was not first or second in its industry, it would be sold or closed. The ultra-competitive Welch wants to win. And he did a lot of that as CEO of General Electric:

Welch believes that winning and being profitable is a company’s number one social responsibility. He believes that winning companies are able to give the most back to society and have the happiest employees. So, given his obsession with winning, it should come as no surprise that one of Welch’s books is entitled Winning.

Welch has been a ruthless cost cutter. At the beginning of his CEO tenure, Welch laid off thousands of employees, which earned him the nickname Neutron Jack.

You can argue with his tactics, but you cannot argue with the success he brought GE. Welch earned many awards for his work as CEO, including Fortune declaring him “manager of the century.” The Financial Times calls General Electric the most admired company, and Fortune ranked GE the most admired company in 1996 and 1997.

Let’s dive into some business lessons from one of the world’s best CEOs.
[291 words]

[ Time 2 ]
Ideas:
“You want people that grab ideas, that share them, that grow with them, that’s what you want. You want culture that just thirsts for them and doesn’t care where they come from. The stripes on the shoulder don’t determine the quality of the idea – the idea does. And the people that grab them are the heroes. The people who take ideas from innovators…and take them to new levels are the people you want to have around you.”

He expands on this in another interview:

“Simply put, boundary less thinking meant we were open to the best ideas and practices from anywhere – another colleague, another department, another country or even another company. It changed our thinking and broadened our awareness. Boundaryless behavior increased the organization’s intellect and, thus, its effectiveness.”

On not being punished for taking risks:

To be an innovative company, you can’t punish every risk. Welch says:
“If you’re leading a group and you got somebody taking a swing, you’ve got to make examples out of them. Make them heroes for taking the swing.”

Welch brings up an example where GE sold an energy efficient light bulb in the early 80s for $10.99. Unsurprisingly, it wasn’t a big seller. Welch says the product was before it’s time. It took ten years for the costs to come down and the product to become a success. But GE rewarded the entire team (120-160 people) with new television sets, a trip to Disney World for a week, and public congratulations. The company wanted to show that it rewards risk taking and innovation.

“When should a boss take responsibility for failure of an employee? The answer is every day. Every single day. Unless the employee violates a policy, steals something, or does something else. [Otherwise] you’re in it with them. So every time you hear people out there trying things, you were there. You can’t walk away from it….to get a culture of risk taking, you need to reward risk taking. You get the behavior you reward…everything you measure and reward – you’ll get that behavior. If you ignore it, you won’t get it. If you want risk taking, reward it.”
[401 words]

[ Time 3 ]
The 20/70/10 Differentiation

Welch believes that in an organization, employees can be broken down into a performance differentiation. He believes 20% are all-stars and A players, 70% are average (and need to work to get into the top 20%), and 10% need to be gracefully released from the company. Let’s get into what he says:

“You embrace the top 20, deal with the middle 70, and you face into the bottom 10, and you do what’s right for them and for you.”

Welch believes that you need to treat the top 20% of people likes stars. “Make them feel loved, hug them, give them cash, give them rewards in the soul and wallet. Do everything for them. For the middle 70%, show them what they need to do to get in the top 20%. For the bottom 10%, tell them why they should move on. Do it over a year or so. Tell them what their shortfalls are, tell them they’re in the bottom 10%, don’t give them a raise, and ask them to leave. Tell them ‘Over the next several months, [we'll] work together to get you in the right place.’”

Welch says this method is much better than false kindness, where employees aren’t told they aren’t good, and then they take a termination or layoff as a surprise. Welch advises that you should not create false kindness, but rather create candor.

On methods for treating the 20%:

“Your job is take the A’s (20%) at any moment in time [and] reward them in the pocketbook with lots of money, with promotions, with opportunities, with a vision of where they can go. You never want your A’s to think ‘Oh geeze I’ve done all this, but I’m getting the same as this person over here – it’s terrible.’ You want them saying ‘I got recognized, the company is taking care of me, they’re pushing me up.’”
[350 words]

[ Time 4 ]
For the 70%:
“You want to send them to training, you want to give them stock options or ways to grow, you want to give them all that. But you [also] want to give them a path to becoming A’s.”

On treating the 10%:
“You want to tell them ‘This is not the place for you. This is the time for you to go over and work [for another company]. Take some time, take several months, we’re not firing you today, we’re not stamping you out. We’re telling you you’re not going to get a raise, you’re not going to get a promotion, your days here are numbered, move on.’ And do it before they’re 30 years old. That’s what we like to do….

“You want to keep building winning teams. And you don’t want to do it unfairly, you don’t want to do it cruelly, you don’t want to do it in one day. You want to coach them out. And then when you let them go, you don’t let them sit over here in limbo, you take them to lunch, you see how their job search is going. The exit is very important. You have to coach them out. And be sure they’re not getting bitter and angry and all the other stuff.”

Welch says as soon as you spot a 20 percenter, you let them know how good they are. Treat them like an A player. Don’t wait.

“In general you want people stretching always a little more than they are capable of. So they’re reaching for the moon all the time. And they’re never bored. You never want those A players bored.”
[319 words]

[ rest ]
How Welch describes Six Sigma:
“Six sigma is a process [you can] put in place to reduce variation in your company. The idea is customers get what they want, when they want it, and it’s right the first time. So, Six Sigma is a technique which you can train your people in to reduce variation. Variation is evil. And once you reduce variation, your costs are improved dramatically and your market share gains are enormous because people get what they want when they want it.”

Before Six Sigma was implemented in 1996, GEs estimated waste was around $8-$12 billion annually, and GE had an error rate 10,000 times the Six Sigma quality level of 3.4 defects per million operations. A few years after implementation, they saved a lot of money when compared to the cost:
We won’t dive into Six Sigma too much, so just keep in mind that it reduces variations and errors, and GE saved lots of money when they implemented it. If you want to learn more, there are many books on the topic.

Source: Kissmetrics Blog

http://blog.kissmetrics.com/winning-and-profitability/

Article 3            
       Did Jack Welch's Best Advice Go To His Lawn Boy?

[Time 5 ]

In 1969, Terry Holland was mowing several lawns on his street when he knocked on Jack Welch’s door, hoping to add another client to his list. At the tender age of 13, Terry was excited to get the job. But he didn’t expect what was coming.

A middle manager at the time, Jack Welch would later gain celebrity status as General Electric’s CEO for taking the organization from a market value of $14 billion to more than $410 billion. Years later he has become the most studied, most talked about, and most emulated senior executive of his generation.

What did the greatest manager of the 20th Century say to inspire greatness in a teenage lawn boy?

One condition
In an interview with Terry he took me through his first encounter, “First off, Jack asked me, ‘how much money do you want to mow my lawn?’ I told him, ‘I really don’t give a price, I let people pay me whatever they think is fair.’ So Jack started pointing around the neighborhood. He asked, ‘How much do you get for mowing that guy’s lawn?’ I told him three bucks. He pointed to another house. ‘How much do you get paid for his?’ ‘Three and a quarter.’ ‘I’ll tell you what,’ Jack said, ‘I’ll give you four dollars to mow my lawn on one condition… I want my lawn to look better than any of theirs.’”

Years later, Terry reflected on how that invitation to do great work made all the difference. “A light went on and I said, ‘Oh, here’s a guy that’s not just hiring me to mow his lawn. He wants his lawn to look better than all the other lawns on the street. And he’s looking to me to do it.’ As a kid mowing a lawn, you’re always trying to do a good job, just so you don’t get in trouble. But now here’s this guy who wants it to look really, really good. It’s a whole different game. It changes your focus to know excellence is rewarded.”
[390 words]

[Time 6 ]
Accepting the challenge
Terry did a good job on all his customers’ lawns. But Jack’s house was different. Jack’s higher expectation brought with it a greater opportunity. Terry was on the constant lookout for ways to make Jack love the way his lawn looked. He experimented with new ways of cutting, trimming, and sweeping.

“I guess maybe it’s a competitive thing that I have in me,” says Terry, “I enjoy doing stuff that there’s a reason to do. The time I spent cutting Jack’s lawn passed quicker for me than all the others. It gave me a chance to prove something to myself. There wasn’t the same drudgery that usually comes from mowing a lawn. It wasn’t mindless work. It was fun.”

After a few years, the Welch’s moved away. But when it came time for Terry to get a job referral, he called Jack. Jack recommended him for a position at GE immediately, no questions asked.

An invitation to make a difference
The way Jack Welch communicated vision to his lawn boy was simple and ingenious. It not only got Jack the best looking lawn in the neighborhood, it called a young teenage boy to greatness. It helped his lawn boy transcend good work, and discover the incredible experience of doing great work.

When was the last time you invited someone to do something great? Do we worry so much about people just getting the job done right that we’re afraid to invite them to take it to the next level? Is the reason your team isn’t exceeding expectations because you are getting exactly what you asked for?

Next time you ask someone to get a job done for you, pause, and do what Jack did. Call them to greatness and be prepared to see some of the results that Jack saw.
[328 words]

Source:  Forbes
http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidsturt/2013/11/26/did-jack-welchs-best-advice-go-to-his-lawn-boy/

本帖子中包含更多资源

x
 楼主| 发表于 2013-12-25 21:47:22 | 显示全部楼层
    Part III: Obstacle

Article4       
The Evolution of Six Sigma   

[Paraphrase 7]

Before, January 15, 1987, Six Sigma was solely a statistical term. Since then, the Six Sigma crusade, which began at Motorola, has spread to other companies who are continually striving for excellence. While it is progressing, it has extended and evolved from a problem-solving technique to a quality strategy and ultimately into a sophisticated quality philosophy. However, this unique philosophy only became well known after GE’s Jack Welch made it a central focus of his business strategy in 1995. Today, Six Sigma is the fastest growing business management system in industry .

To elaborate the evolution of Six Sigma, one Six Sigma authority has to be introduced: Mikel Harry, who is called the “godfather” of Six Sigma and is acknowledged as the leading authority on theory and practice. Even though he did not invent the concept, the way that it is currently practiced bears the unmistakable marks of Harry’s personality and personal history.   Harry's history path is followed here to reveal the evolution of Six Sigma.

The evolution began in the late 1970s, when a Japanese firm took over a Motorola factory that manufactured television sets in the United States and the Japanese promptly set about making drastic changes to the way the factory operated. Under Japanese management, the factory was soon producing TV sets with 1/20th the number of defects they had produced under Motorola management. Finally, Motorola recognized its quality was awful. Since then. Motorola management decided to take quality seriously. When Bob Galvin became Motorola's CEO in 1981, he challenged his company to achieve a tenfold improvement in performance over a five-year period.

In 1984, after Harry was awarded a doctorate from Arizona State University, he joined Motorola where he worked with Bill Smith, a veteran engineer who was in Mikel Harry's words, “the father of Six Sigma”. During 1985, Smith wrote an internal quality research report which caught the attention of Bob Galvin. Smith discovered the correlation between how well a product did in its field life and how much rework had been required during the manufacturing process. He also found that products that were built with fewer nonconformities were the ones that performed the best after delivery to the customer. Although Motorola executives agreed with Smith's supposition, the challenge then became how to create practical ways to eliminate the defects. With the concept of “logic filter”, one of Harry's papers at Arizona State University, together with Smith, Harry developed a four-stage problem-solving approach: Measure, Analyze, Improve, Control (MAIC). Later, the MAIC discipline became the  road map for achieving Six Sigma quality.
On January 15, 1987, Galvin launched a long term quality program, called “The Six Sigma Quality Program”. The program was a corporate program which established Six Sigma as the required capability level to approach the standard of 3.4 DPMO. This new standard was to be used in everything, that is, in products, processes, services and administration. The Corporate Policy Committee of Motorola then updated their quality goal as follows:

“Improve product and service quality ten times by 1989, and at least one hundred fold by 1991. Achieve Six Sigma capability by 1992. With a deep sense of urgency, Galvin spread dedication to quality to every facet of the corporation, and achieve a culture of continual improvement to assure Total Customer Satisfaction. There is only one ultimate goal: zero defects in everything we do.”

The revised corporate quality goal stated that everyone was responsible for and to each other regarding this objective. In addition, it affirmed that no one could assume she or he had done enough until the entire goal of Six Sigma was achieved company-wide. After implementing Six Sigma, in 1988, Motorola was among the first recipients of the Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award. Since then, Six Sigma has constantly caught the attention of industry. However, at Motorola, Six Sigma was only a disciplined problem-solving methodology.

In 1988, at Unisys Corp. Harry discussed with Cliff Ames, one of Unisys’ plant managers, about how to leverage the Six Sigma technique throughout an organization and how to recognize the people who were equipped with Six Sigma tools. Since Ames was a lover of karate and Harry himself was a martial arts enthusiast, in some respects, they shared the same eastern martial arts philosophy. People in martial arts are incredibly skilled, have a precise command of tools, are very dedicated, and are very humble to learn. Based on this insight, Harry decided to designate those with Six Sigma skills as “Black Belt”.

In 1989, Galvin invited Harry to head up Motorola's Six Sigma Research Institute and challenged him to do “short cycle quality knowledge transfer and rapid dissemination of quality knowledge into a world-wide company”. Harry answered the challenge with Six Sigma implementation strategy that attempted to put quality tools into the hands of large numbers of workers and managers throughout the organization. From that moment, Six Sigma skills were not solely owned by quality engineers, but began to transfer from the quality department to the entire organization.

In 1993, at Asea Brown Boveri (ABB), Harry teamed with Richard Schroeder who later joined him to found Six Sigma Academy. Inspired by Kjell Magnuson, one of ABB’s business unit presidents, Harry realized that high level executives only focused on clear and quantifiable gains. Further, Harry recognized that it should not be quality first, but business first which will lead to the realization of quality. In addition, from his Marine Corps experience, he understood the importance of tactics. To exploit the full power of Six Sigma by focusing on bottom-line results, Harry refined Six Sigma deployment tactics which included: Champion, Master Black Belt, Black Belt, and Green Belt.

At that time, enamored by Motorola's success, several other companies, such as Texas Instruments, began a similar pursuit. But, it wasn't until late 1993 that Six Sigma really began to transform business. That's the year that Harry and Schroeder moved to Allied Signal and its CEO, Larry Bossidy, decided to adopt Six Sigma.

By adequately selecting the right Six Sigma projects and promptly providing the right support for them, Bossidy suggested that high level executives should also understand Six Sigma tools. To respond to that, Harry developed a methodology for a leadership team to select high financial leverage projects. At Allied Signal, an entire system of leadership and support systems began to form around the statistical problem solving tools of Six Sigma.

Not long after Allied Signal began its pursuit of Six Sigma quality, Jack Welch, then Chairman and CEO of General Electric, influenced by Bossidy, then began to get interested in Six Sigma. In fact, before Six Sigma, according to Welch, neither he nor Bossidy quality enthusiasts. They felt the earlier quality programs were too heavy on slogans and light on results. In June 1995, Welch invited Bossidy to attend GE’s Corporate Executive Council meeting and share his experience with Six Sigma. After that meeting, GE conducted a cost-benefit analysis on Six Sigma implementation. The analysis showed that if GE, then running at three to four sigma quality level, were to raise its quality to six Sigma, the cost saving opportunity was somewhere between $7 billion and $10 billion. This amounted to a huge number - 10 to 15 percent of sales.

Then, in January 1996, teaming with Six Sigma Academy, Welch announced the launch of Six Sigma at GE. At that time, he called Six Sigma the most ambitious undertaking the company had ever taken on. He stated: “Quality can truly change GE from one of the great companies to absolutely the greatest company in world business.” Needless to say that when GE does something, it does it all the way. Welch said to GE’s Corporate Executives: “Everyone in this room must lead the quality charge. There can be no spectators on this. What took Motorola ten years, we must do in five - not through shortcuts, but in learning from others”. From that moment, Jack Welch became the global promoter of Six Sigma.

There are two important contributions from GE’s way of implementation to the evolution of Six Sigma. First, Welch demonstrated the great paradigm of leadership. Second, Welch backed the Six Sigma program up with a strong rewards system to show his commitment to it. GE changed its incentive compensation plan for the entire company so that 60 percent of the bonus was based on financials and 40 percent on Six Sigma results. The new system successfully attracted GE employees’ attentions to Six Sigma. Moreover, Six Sigma training had become a prerequisite for advancement up GE’s corporate ladder. Welch insisted that no one would be considered for a management job without at least a Green Belt training by the end of 1998.
[1486 words]  

Source: PQA
http://www.pqa.net/ProdServices/sixsigma/W06002009.html

本帖子中包含更多资源

x
发表于 2013-12-25 21:48:45 | 显示全部楼层
圣诞头条~    Merry Xmas~     Olivia!& ALL

Speaker:
what should people do to become leaders?
overdelivery is the route to your next good job.
what overdelivery means:  you should always broaden the question your boss gives and deliver not only the real answer but rethink the issue in a much bigger term so that the boss can grasp a new perspective from your answer.
ex: early, JW gave a top boss a presentation. Although the P is not so good, JW shocked the boos because he gave him a new insight about the issue the boos pose.
Conclusion: never take it as a roll of assignment, always take it as an opportunity to broaden the boss's horizon by giving them perspective they didn't have before presentation.
rest:
why winning matters? because a healthy winning company can bring big positive effects on our society.

Speed:

warm up: 1'25''
T2-2'00''
T3-1'36''
T4-1'25''
rest-46''
T5-2'01''
T6-1'50''

Obstacle-8'50''
MI: the evolution of six sigma.
DMAIC: DEFINE->MEASURE->ANALYZE->IMPROVE->CONTROL->DEFINE->...
1.the early developing period of Six Sigma: MH<theory&practice>, BS<father of SS>. corp.: Motorola.-> SS is only a problem-solving technique.
2.middle: MH&CA->use SS in an organization.
3.maturity: MH&RS, LB-->JW promo

发表于 2013-12-25 21:50:37 | 显示全部楼层
占~~~SH 好快  Merry Xmas~    ALL~
感谢瓜瓜,大赞今天的专题

Speaker:route to the next job.View you boss's task as opportunity not as a disaster.Rethink the issue in a bigger extent.Go further even to the whole industry.Let the boss make it smaller,which makes boss happier.Always make things more than boss expected.
Winning is everything.Only winning can bring many necessary things.

02:15
Boundaryless behavior increased the organization’s intellect and effectiveness.
The company should reward risk taking and innovation.

01:33
Three kinds of employees in the company and different policy taken on them.The method used to the top 20%

01:28
The method used to the average 70% and the bottom 10%.

01:53
A lesson Jack Welch gave to a lawn boy:excellence is rewarded.

01:31
Jack Welch brought a boy to greatness.
The idea of Jack's lesson is that when you ask sb to get sth done for you,call them to greatness.This small change may bring more excellent result.

08:38
Main Idea:the development process of Six Sigma
Six Sigma has extended and evolved from a problem-solving technique to a quality strategy and ultimately into a sophisticated quality philosophy and becomes the fastest growing business management system in industry.
The first idea of six sigma comes from the willing to create practical ways to eliminate the defects.Harry created the MAIC,which is the road map for six sigma.
But at that time in Motorola six sigma is only a problem-solved methodology.
Then Harry developed it to manage the entire organization.At that time,he put the bussiness first instead of quality first,because bussiness will force the improvement of quality.
Moreover,six sigma was developed for a leadership team and used by Jack,the CEO of GE.And GE’s way of implementation leaded to the evolution of Six Sigma,which makes six sigma popular around the world.
发表于 2013-12-26 00:04:05 | 显示全部楼层
咦~首页吗!小老头的管理方式很有趣,越障存起再看,好像还蛮有用的样子!学习~~~
T2 2:35
A innovative company should embrace the best idea and reward for risk-taking and innovation.
T3 1:54
Employees in a company are distinguished by performance differentiation, which is better and more effective than false kindness to motivate workers.
T4 1:38
It's fair to use the way to motivate the 70% to get into A's player and ask the 10% to work for another job. A company should coach people out and build a team with elite workers.
T5  1:58
JW wanted the lawn boy to mow his yard as the best lawn in neighborhood, and this event changed the young's focus into making an excellent job.
T6 1:49
For inviting T to do something great, JW not only got a better lawn but also discovered a great worker who transcended good work.
发表于 2013-12-26 01:16:57 | 显示全部楼层
thank you:
2:2'29:401
-you want to be surrounded by a group of people who can bring the company to a new higher level
-Jack encourages team to take risk and think differently.
-Jack rewards risk taking
-give example
-his answer to boss's responsibility in failure of taking risk.

3:1'57:350
-what's 20%,70% and 10% mean
-further illustration on how to treat employees in different performance level
-do not encourage false kindness

4:2:319
-how to treat 70%
-how to treat 10%:coach them to the exit. do not let them leave with anger.
-do not let the 20% feel bored.

5:2'10:390
-Terry talked about how he encountered Jack and reward excellence lesson from Jack.

6:2'06:328
-Lawn boy got a job in the GE
-Jack called the lawn boy to his greatness.
-The lesson here is not just tell people to get their job done, provide opportunity to perform better.

7:9'45:1486
-the evaluation of six sigma.
-how Jack adopted six sigma into GE.
发表于 2013-12-26 02:48:14 | 显示全部楼层
晚来居然还有首页~
29-17
Speaker
Over-delivered-ask questions and go further-broaden your joband give more prospects. Winning is everything-winning companies give back, paytaxes and do everything-you win, society succeed-that’s should be the firstsocial responsibility-then provide more for other people

2 401 1min39
Take ideas from the innovator who may not be higher rankthan you and take it to a new level-no punish for taking risk and stay withyour co-workers if you are a leader.
3 350 1min15
Treat different level player with different ways-encourageand give recognize to the top-make the middle want to be top-work with thebottom to get things straight.
4 319 1min17
5 390 1min57
Skills make you changes your focus to know excellence isrewarded
6 328 1min23
发表于 2013-12-26 07:18:36 | 显示全部楼层
早上好~~~~~
Speaker: broad ur queation
Give a presentation—different prospect of job—never take it as a route assignment—give them the respective they never have before presentation
Win is everything—only win can give u more responsibility –successful career. good job. Great life
7 9:50 six sigma which was used to be a statistical term has spread to other companies who are committee to excellence after the crusading in Motorola.
--Bill Smith ,the father of six sigma.  Harry learn how to leverage Six Sigma technique throughout an organization .
--Six Sigma change GE to the greatest company and also GE contribute to the evolution of Six Sigma
Warm up: JW is one of the most prominent CEOs of the last century. He is obsession with winning
2 2:29  innovation and do not punish taking risk
3 1:48 divide the worker into 3 categories according to performance differentiation.
4 1:35 how to deal with 70% and 10% employee?
Rest  49” how W describes Six Sigma
5 6 what J did to help the lawn boy to do better job—the boy experiment with new way of cutting, trimming and sweeping
发表于 2013-12-26 08:29:32 | 显示全部楼层
谢谢瓜瓜 圣诞快乐~

掌管 8        00:09:07.64        00:22:10.51
掌管 7        00:01:55.04        00:13:02.87
掌管 6        00:02:07.95        00:11:07.82
掌管 5        00:01:12.90        00:08:59.87
掌管 4        00:01:39.07        00:07:46.96
掌管 3        00:01:44.70        00:06:07.89
掌管 2        00:02:31.14        00:04:23.18
掌管 1        00:01:52.04        00:01:52.04
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-3-29 05:59
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部