ESL Podcast 957 – Doping in Sports
[Rephrase 1]

[Dialog, 22min 28sec]

Transcript
Audio Index:
Slow dialog: 1:12
Explanations: 3:08
Fast dialog: 18:08
Mia: This is ridiculous! They’re going to suspend Eric Rodrigo for doping.

Alex: From what I’ve read, he failed his random drug test and they found performance-enhancing drugs in his system.

Mia: But he’s one of the best players on the team. Without him, we won’t have a chance to get to the playoffs.

Alex: He should have thought of that before he decided to cheat. I’m surprised they’re only suspending him for a few games. Last year, a player on another team was banned for life from the sport and stripped of his championship titles.

Mia: In my opinion, they completely overreacted and one of the best players in the game is off the field forever.

Alex: You don’t think that people who use steroids and other banned substances should be punished?

Mia: Not when the fans are the ones who really pay the price.

Alex: So you’re in favor of allowing performance-enhancing drugs in sports?

Mia: Sure, why not? If everybody is doping, it levels the playing field.

Alex: I am really glad you’re not the commissioner!

Source: ESL
http://www.eslpod.com/website/show_podcast.php?issue_id=14507039

本帖子中包含更多资源

您需要 登录 才可以下载或查看,没有帐号?立即注册

x
收藏收藏 收藏收藏
沙发
 楼主| 发表于 2013-12-20 22:06:51 | 只看该作者
Part II: Speed
Article 2:
The Best Way for New Leaders to Build Trust
[Time 2]
When I took over as CEO of Intralinks,  a company that provides secure web based electronic deal rooms, the company was hemorrhaging so much cash that its survival was at stake. The service was going down three times per week; we were in violation of the contract with our largest client; our chief administrative officer had just been demoted, and so on.

So, what I do on my first day? I spent more than four hours  listening in to client support calls at the call center.  I shared headsets with many of the team, moving from desk to desk to speak to the reps. To say they were surprised is an understatement: Many CEOs never visit the call center, and virtually none do it their first afternoon on the job.

I made this my priority partly because I wanted to know what customers were saying—but also to make an internal statement. I knew there had to be some radical changes to behaviors, expectations, and attitudes.  There was no time to be subtle.  I needed to show I was different, that things were going to be different, and I needed to establish trust as quickly as possible.

In leading various companies over the years, one of the most valuable lessons I’ve learned is that establishing trust is the top priority. Whether you are taking over a small department, an entire division, a company, or even a Boy Scout troop, the first thing you must get is the trust of the members of that entity.  When asked, most leaders will agree to this notion, but few do anything to act on it.
【271】

[Time 3]
Without trust, it is very unlikely you will learn the truth on what is really going on in that organization and in the market place.  Without trust, employees won’t level with you—at best, you’ll learn either non-truths or part truths. I see this all too frequently. Sometimes employees will go out of their way to hoard and distort the truth.

The best way to start building trust to take the time and meet as many individual contributors as you can as soon as you can. In addition to meeting customers, meeting rank-and-file employees should be your top priority.

This is not a common approach. Many leaders see their role as directing and giving information, rather than gathering.  There is pressure to “come up with the answer” quickly or risk looking weak.  Too many new leaders believe they’re expected to know the answer without input or guidance. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Doing this correctly takes time—but less than you might think. The meetings can be on one on one or small groups.  The sessions can’t be rushed.  In the first few weeks I’d suggest you spend up to half your time in these meetings. Take a pad and take notes.  Listen intently.  A simple but effective open-ended question is: “If you were put into my role tomorrow, what would be the first three things you’d do and why?”  Or: “What are the three biggest barriers to our success, and what are our three biggest opportunities we have?” Really great ideas can emerge from these meetings—along with some really mediocre ones—but it’s your job to filter and prioritize them. First, gather the information.
【278】

[Time 4]
Later on my first day at Intralinks, I began arranging meetings with individual contributors. That’s where my learning really began. Over the next few weeks I met with over 60 individual contributors. Not only did I learn a lot, but I convinced them that I cared what they thought and could be trusted with the truth.

In the middle of my first week as CEO, one of the company’s original VCs called. “So, what’s your plan?” he asked. I said I have to spend a few weeks learning. He was incredulous that I did not have a pre-baked plan. I was incredulous he thought that I should.

Over those weeks I learned how unhappy clients were with our complex bills, why service went down so often, why our pricing gave our clients headaches, that 80% of the customer calls could be eliminated with a simple fix to our service, and that clients wanted predictability of expenditures with us.

After six weeks, I had enough information to return to the management team with specific recommendations on what I thought we should do. Instead of just laying this out in an all-hands meeting, I began laying out the plan in one-on-one meetings in which I talked about how each individual’s feedback had helped guide my thinking. This created a tremendous buy in among all levels of the team.

By mid March, after only 10 weeks on the job, we rolled out the new plan. By the end of the year we’d signed 150 new long-term contracts (up from zero), revenue was up by almost 600%, our burn rate was cut by 75%, and we’d positioned ourselves to raise a $50 million round of financing a few months later in the heart of the dot.com winter.

None of this could have happened without building the trust of the team. New leaders must remember that many of the best insights on how to fix a company lie with employees further down the org chart. Creating a trusting, honest dialogue with these key personnel should be every new leader’s top priority.
【346】
Source: hbr
http://blogs.hbr.org/2013/12/the-best-way-for-new-leaders-to-build-trust/

Article 3:
Putin critic Khodorkovsky free after pardon
[Time 5]
(Reuters) - Mikhail Khodorkovsky, once Russia's richest man, left prison on Friday after a pardon from President Vladimir Putin ended a decade in jail that many saw as the fallen oil tycoon's punishment for daring to challenge the Kremlin.

His lawyer and a prison official said Khodorkovsky was free, a day after Putin unexpectedly announced he would release one of his most powerful critics. A government source said the move could deflect criticism over Putin's human rights record as Russia prepares to host the Winter Olympics in February.

"He has left the camp. That's all I can say," lawyer Vadim Klyuvgant told Reuters by telephone. A prison official, also reached by telephone, confirmed that. Journalists outside the prison deep in the sub-Arctic forest did not see Khodorkovsky.

Putin surprised Russians and cheered the business community by announcing he would free the 50-year-old businessman because his mother was ill. Investors said it could ease entrepreneurs' fears of the Kremlin exploiting the courts for political ends.

In a presidential decree signed on Friday, Putin said he was "guided by the principles of humanity".

Putin had said after a four-hour, end-of-year news conference on Thursday that Khodorkovsky asked for clemency.

His lawyers said they were checking that with their client. He was scheduled for release next August but supporters had feared the sentence might be extended, as it was once before.

Reporters waiting outside Penal Colony No. 7 at Segezha, near the Finnish border, 300 km (200 miles) south of the Arctic Circle, did not see Khodorkovsky leave. He has spent the past few years working in the camp, in an area that was once a notorious part of Stalin's Gulag system of labor camps.

Khodorkovsky came to represent what critics say is the post-Soviet Kremlin's continued misuse of the judicial system, curbing the rule of law, and of its refusal to permit dissent.

The authorities deny this, saying judges are independent and that Putin has not cracked down on opponents. The president has, however, singled Khodorkovsky out for bitter personal attacks in the past and ignored many calls for his release.
【349】

[Time 6]
Thursday's surprise announcement underlined Putin's confidence that he has reasserted his authority and is in full control of Russia after seeing off street protests.

He said two members of the Pussy Riot protest group will also be freed, under an amnesty passed by parliament this week.

Khodorkovsky has been in jail since his arrest in October 2003 in what supporters say was part of a Kremlin campaign to punish him for political challenges to Putin, gain control of his oil assets and warn other tycoons to toe the line.

END OF EMPIRE

The oil baron fell out with Putin before his arrest as the president clipped the wings of wealthy "oligarchs" who had become powerful during the chaotic years of Boris Yeltsin's rule following the collapse of Soviet communism.

His company, Yukos, was broken up and sold off, mainly into state hands, following his arrest at gunpoint on an airport runway in Siberia on fraud and tax evasion charges.

Yukos' prize production asset ended up in the hands of state oil company Rosneft, which is now headed by Putin ally Igor Sechin.

Russian shares initially rose after Putin's announcement on Thursday but later settled back.

A sustained rally would require "a consistent track record of implementation of market-friendly reforms - in particular, of steps to improve the judicial system, so that decisions are more predictable and property rights better protected," a Moscow-based economist at an investment bank said.

Putin has staked a great deal of personal prestige on the Winter Games at Sochi on the Black Sea and is under fire abroad over a law banning the spread of "gay propaganda" among minors.

A government source said the pardons would deprive Western critics of a cause: "I think the decision to free Pussy Riot and Khodorkovsky was taken just before the Olympic Games so that they will not be able to wield this banner against Putin."
【316】
Source: reuster
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/12/20/us-russia-khodorkovsky-idUSBRE9BJ09020131220
板凳
 楼主| 发表于 2013-12-20 22:06:52 | 只看该作者
Part III: Obstacle
Article 4:
Make Sure Your Dream Company Can Find You
[Time 7]
It used to be that if you wanted to work for a certain company, you went in for an informational interview or waited for a job opening and submitted your resume. These days, you may be better off liking the company on Facebook or joining their Google+ page. That’s because smart companies are no longer waiting for the right candidates to apply. They’re actively seeking them out on social media.

Managers acquiring talent have been using social media to research job applicants for several years now, but they’ve begun to source and engage potential job candidates from social networks as well. Given that over 1 billion people are connected to a social networking site, this is a clever move.

Here are three social media tools forward-looking companies are using to find you.

People Analytics  

New businesses are cropping up to reinvent the recruiting process, blending data from social media sites to create profiles of coders, programmers and software engineers so that companies hoping to hire can search for candidates that have the skills they desire. Companies such as Gild, TalentBin, and Entelo use people analytics to examine a candidate’s publicly available work to spot diamonds in the rough.

Take for example RackSpace, an open-source operating system for the cloud. The company, hoping to find potential recruits, partnered with Gild to scan open source networks such as Github and Twisted Matrix to identify candidates who meet certain criteria.  Gild created “social profiles” for candidates so that hiring managers at RackSpace could see the frequency with which other programmers adopt an individual’s code and the buzz the coders work generates in online forums.

This approach to recruitment is creating a new technical world order where job applicants are found and evaluated by their merits and contributions, rather than by how well they sell themselves in an interview. Using this approach, Rackspace has successfully identified a number of highly qualified engineers, many of whom were largely invisible on popular social media sites such as LinkedIn and Twitter.

While the focus on using people analytics is currently on hard-to-find technical talent such as programmers, coders, and software engineers, with a few tweaks this type of transparency in the recruiting process can be applied to finding candidates whose work is also publicly viewable such as graphic designers, customer call center operators, and perhaps even salespeople.

Mobile Recruiting Apps

Since early 2012, Sodexo, the 20th largest employer in the world, has turned its recruiting focus from job boards to mobile applications. The company wanted to be on the platforms that Millennials use every day so that younger candidates could easily find them. Given that a recent survey conducted by Glassdoor.com found that 43% of job candidates research their prospective employer and read the job description 15 minutes prior to the interview on their mobile devices, Sodexo also wanted to make it easy for applicants to quickly find the information they need.

Sodexo developed both a mobile-optimized career site and an app to pull together information about the company’s recruiting efforts into one easy-for-Millennials-to-access place. Job candidates can link from the mobile app to a landing page to search and apply for jobs, join a talent community, get job alerts, and get an insider’s view of what it’s like to work for Sodexo.

According to Arie Ball, the company’s vice president of talent acquisition, the app had 15,000 downloads in the first year and 17% of job traffic from potential new hires now comes from the mobile app versus just 2% in early 2012. Sodexo has identified over 2,000 new job candidates with 141 actual new hires, all while saving the company $300,000 in job board postings.

MOOCs  

Companies have been watching the rapid growth of MOOCs (massive open online courses) — two of the leading MOOC providers, Coursera and EdX, have tallied more than 7 million unique users since they launched in April 2012 and May 2012 respectively — and are now finding ways to offer their own free courses. Aquent, a global staffing firm that finds jobs for marketing, creative, and digital professionals is creating a MOOC to teach job candidates HTML5. So far, about 10,000 people have participated in the HTML5 MOOC and 300 of them then enlisted Aquent to help in their job search. Companies wanting to capitalize on the gamification movement are recruiting graduates of MakeGamesWith.us, an online MOOC that teaches aspiring game developers how to build an iPhone game. It will be only a matter of time before more companies get in on this and start launching MOOCs to recruit new hires and train them in skills needed for success at their company.

As companies move to actively seeking out prospective new hires, giving these targeted talent communities special access to webinars, announcements of new job openings, and email invitations to engage with the company, job seekers need to reciprocate.

We’ve all been warned about how our online behavior can negatively affect  job prospects, but now you also need to think about how to build your personal brand, publicize your skills, and connect with the companies you might want to work for.

The next time you’re on your favorite social networking site, seek out employers you hope to work for one day. Build an online relationship with them now so they can find you later. Visit the company blog, like its Facebook page, join its Google+ page, watch its videos on YouTube, and follow the firm on LinkedIn, Instagram, and Vine.

Make 2014 the year you become visible to your dream employer. After all, you may be just the person they’re looking for.
【930】

Source:hbr
http://blogs.hbr.org/2013/12/make-sure-your-dream-company-can-find-you/
地板
发表于 2013-12-20 22:07:29 | 只看该作者
哦哈哈哈哈,谢谢KIMI
29-12
Speaker
Doping-using illegal drugs to improve the performs

2 271 1min16
When the author took over as CEO of Intralinks, he spent 4hours in the call center where most CEOs never go to. He thinks trust is thetop priority to lead a team.
3 278 1min20
The best way to build trust is to listen. Take time tolisten from individual contributors and filter the information you gathered andmake the right decision.
4 346 1min30
Don’t have a pre-baked plan. Listen to the clients’feedback.
5 349 2min07
6 316 1min57
Obstacle 930 4min43
5#
 楼主| 发表于 2013-12-20 22:14:37 | 只看该作者
前排三人组~~
the company was falling down when the arthur took charge as a ceo.
the first thing he did as a ceo was listenning to clients at the call center.
the first important thing is trust from the clients. lost of people know that but few people do somethings for it.
the most important thing is to meet contributors, employees, and gather information from them. you'll get the truth.
from the meetings he learnt a lot.
later he gave his plan as a feedback to everyone he had talked. this is a nice shot not only because he learnt a lot but also because he built trust among his people.
after that, the company 恢复 and graw fast.
putin lease former richest man, because of humanity, accoding to him.
someone said he critic his pardon
but the authorities deny it.
6#
发表于 2013-12-20 22:15:44 | 只看该作者
占~~感谢KIM
speaker:a dialog about the doping in the sports and the extent of punishment

01:15
Establishing trust is the top priority to a new leader.To show you are different may be a method.

01:34
Only with trust,leaders can know the company and market better and organize the company better.But this is not a common approach thought by many ceos.Establishing trust won't cost a lot of time.

01:30
The author did't make a plan befor he knew the current situation about the company and clients.After the plan was done,he applied it by one-on-one meeting instead of all-hand meeting.The consequence was excellent.

01:51
Putin freed the 50-year-old businessman Khodorkovsky,which cheered Russian business community and showed Putin's attitude to human rights.

02:04
Two members of the Pussy Riot protest group will also be freed.
The oil company of Khodorkovsky was broken up and sold off into state hands.His freedom raise the russian stock.
Pution's action was said to prevent him from critism to ensure the winter olympic.

05:34
Main Idea:Three new social media tools that companies are using to find employees.
1 People Analytics  
People Analytics  is uded to examine a candidate's publicly available work.
Through this method,candidates are assessed by their merits and contributions instead of just by the performance in the interview.
2 Mobile Recruiting Apps
A company is making an app platform that helps candidates find information about the interviewer company.
This app also helps  companies save money spent on job board posting.
3 MOOCs
Some companies tries to find qualified candiated from MOOCs learners.
Our online behavior and online relationship will play more and more important roles in job marekt,both to candidates and companies.
7#
发表于 2013-12-20 22:20:15 | 只看该作者
MARK, THX, KIM!

Speaker:
different opinions regarding doping for players.
*doping: the practice of using drugs to improve performance in a sport.  doping scandal/ban/test etc.
*steroid: a chemical that the body produces naturally or that can be made as a drug to treat illness and injuries. Steroids are sometimes used illegally by people doing sports to improve their performance.

Speed:
T2-1'40''
The author makes building trust as the priority when taking over as CEO on the first day.
T3-2'19''
the importance of trust & the best way to build it.
T4-2'25''
1) gather infor. 2) meet individual contributors. 3) infor. feedback. 4) roll out new plans.    TRUST is everywhere in these four processes.
T5-2'43''
Putin pardoned MK, once the richest man in Russia, for some political reasons.(human right?)
T6-2'38''
amnesty<n.> an official order by a government that allows a particular group of prisoners to go free.
tycoon<n.>someone who is successful in bussiness or industry and has a lot of money and power.
fall out<v.>to have a quarrel.
oligarch<n.>a member of a small group of people who runs a country or organization.
Boris Yeltsin<n.>叶利钦
Yukos<n.>尤科斯(俄石油公司)

Obstacle-5'57''
make sure your dream company can find you:
three social media tools companies use to locate their potential candidates:
>people analytics:                                            *crop up: to happen or appear unexpectedly
use data from social media sites to classify candidates and target people businesses need.
>Mobile Recruiting Apps:
Sodexo provides younger candidates, also called Millennials, a mobile-based platform to facilitate job application.
>MOOCs:
a platform to recruit new hires and train them in skills needed for success at their company and candidates need to reciprocate.

In a nutshell, it's time for job seekers to build your own brand, publicize your skills, and connect with the companies you might want to work for.<awesome!> <好文>
8#
发表于 2013-12-20 23:30:08 | 只看该作者
谢谢Kim!!
speaker: a dialogue about different opions on punishing players who eat drugs.
2: 2'25
3: 2'39
4:2‘34
5:2’24
6:2‘38

7:9:05 Build up relationship with companies in social network and be visible to companies to let them finds us.
9#
发表于 2013-12-21 05:00:21 | 只看该作者
2:1‘47:273
-when author took over a company at tough situation, he first spent 4 hours at call center to listen to customers.
-Author mentioned building trust is the first and most important thing in his leadership.
-He said many leader know trust is important but never act on it.

3:2'03:278
-the importance of building trust in the company
-how to build trust: meeting as many individuals as possible
-what questions should be asked during meeting and simply listen to others people.

4:2'23:346
-author called and meet up individual contributors
-he found out the problems
-he planed the solution and gave credit to the team
-plan worked out successfully
-he ended by saying trust is the priority in leadership

7:6'30
-instead of seeking jobs, employers start seeking for potential employees through social media.
-three different ways.
10#
发表于 2013-12-21 08:08:08 | 只看该作者
占个座~~谢谢kimwang~~~

Speed:
Time2:1'34
Time3:1'20
Time4:2'01
Time5:1'54
Time6:1'31
Obstacle:5'21
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-4-25 12:25
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部