Part I: Speaker
ESL Podcast 955 – Dating a Possessive Person
[Rephrase 1]

[Dialog, 22min 59sec]

Transcript
Slow Dialog: 1:25
Explanations: 3:34
Fast Dialog: 18:08
Eliana: You’re here! I didn’t think you’d be able to come.

Matt: Why? I like seeing a movie with my friends as much as the next guy.

Eliana: Yeah, but it’s been weeks since we’ve seen you, ever since you started dating Helen.

Matt: She doesn’t own me. She’s a little possessive, but I put my foot down when she gets too clingy.

Eliana: Doesn’t she get jealous if you so much as look at another woman?

Matt: She’s the jealous type, that’s true, but I reassure her all the time that she’s the only one I want. It’s true that she’s critical of other women, too, but what woman isn’t? She’s fine if she knows where I am and whom I’m with.

Eliana: You mean you have to report in to her on your whereabouts?

Matt: She likes to know what I’m doing. She’s just concerned about me, that’s all.

Eliana: She seems really controlling.

Matt: What did you say?

Eliana: Nothing. I see Xavier and Sophie over there. Ready to get our tickets?

Matt: Hold on one second. I just need to text Helen an update. If she doesn’t hear from me every half hour, she worries. Isn’t that sweet?

Source: ESL
http://www.eslpod.com/website/show_podcast.php?issue_id=14477210

本帖子中包含更多资源

您需要 登录 才可以下载或查看,没有帐号?立即注册

x
 楼主| 发表于 2013-12-13 21:41:55 | 显示全部楼层
Part II: Speed
Article 1:
Being a Woman Is the Least Interesting Thing About Mary Barra, New CEO of GM
[Time 2]
Who could have imagined a woman being named CEO of a manufacturing-industry company? Today, for the first time in its 100-plus-year history, GM announced that Mary Barra would be the new CEO. Almost every headline you’ll see on the news will use the descriptor woman even though that refers to 51% of the population. And in truth, being a woman is the least interesting thing about her. Her most recent role was to run the $15 billion product-development division. After her 30-year career within the company, you could dub her the chief product officer. Her pedigree is flawless with a B.S. in electrical engineering and an M.B.A. from Stanford. She represents a very different type of leader, not just because she’s a woman, but because she wants to reinvent the firm. GM used to have a 10-page dress code. Who abolished it? Mary Barra. At the time, Barra said that “the key to unlocking innovation at GM is to trust the people to do the very best they can.”

But instead of honoring her design prowess, cultural turnaround, her long arc of commitment, or even her inherent geekiness, the focus will be on her gender. That’s because women still continue to hold far too few leadership roles: in Congress, women hold only 18% of the seats; just 17% of corporate-board roles; and just 23 of the Fortune 500 chief executive posts (counting Barra), a measly 4%. In the venture-capital world, women receive less than 3% of funding. This is not a pipeline problem. There are plenty of qualified women entering politics and business. The most telling fact to me is this one: when the movie industry wants to film a “general population scene,” that scene only includes 17% female. So even when the only qualification is to be female, women are still invisible.
【303】

[Time 3]
Twenty years ago, management guru Tom Peters, author of In Search of Excellence, wrote about gender inequalities in business. Recently, I asked him for his take on why the most powerful and influential companies in the U.S. have yet to make meaningful moves to advance women into top leadership positions.

He replied, “Why don’t companies ‘get it,’ circa 2013? Women are invariably their primary customers. I’ve run out of logical answers, so I’m left with only emotional responses such as ‘blind,’ ‘nuts,’ ‘impervious to the obvious.’ The research clearly demonstrates that, overall, women’s preferences for goods and services and the manner of the purchasing process differ significantly from that of men. What better, and, frankly, easier way to address this mammoth opportunity than to aim for/insist upon women’s representation, from junior engineer to board member, that more or less mirrors purchasing power. After 17 years of study, I remain as mystified as ever that something like my ‘solution’ is rarely in place. For God’s sake, to use the overused term, this ain’t rocket science.”

Of the Fortune 500, Catalyst points out that 50 companies still have zero women on the board. Interestingly enough, the now outgoing CEO of GM had something to say at this topic. “The rate of growth of women on boards is glacial. It’s simply unacceptable,” Daniel F. Akerson, CEO of General Motors, said to the audience at a recent gathering of the Women’s Forum of New York at the New York Stock Exchange.

Women drive cars. Women buy cars. Women sell cars. Ergo women run car companies. I dream of the day when her name and ideas make news, not the fact that she is a woman.
【281】
Source: time
http://ideas.time.com/2013/12/10/being-a-woman-is-the-least-interesting-thing-about-mary-barra-new-ceo-of-gm/
Article 2:
Breaking glass ceilings
[Time 4]
IN THE more than three decades working in the men’s world of the auto industry, Mary Barra (pictured) has gotten used to glass ceilings—and the feeling of crashing through them. Barely three years ago she became one of the highest-ranking women in that world when she was named General Motors’ head of global product development. On December 10th she broke through the final one: the firm announced that come next April, Ms Barra will take the helm at GM and become one of the auto industry’s—and hence corporate America’s—most powerful executives.

The first woman to head a big global automotive manufacturer, the 51-year-old Barra will replace Dan Akerson, GM’s current chairman and chief executive, who decided to move up his own retirement because of the illness of his wife. Mr Akerson’s departure will trigger a series of changes on the top floors of the Renaissance Centre, GM’s corporate headquarters in downtown Detroit. Dan Ammann, the chief financial officer, for instance, will become the firm's new president—a move that could also lead to a search for new talent from outside.

The good news for potential candidates is that GM will now be able to offer whatever the market demands. Less than a day before the succession plans were announced, America’s treasury revealed that it had sold off the last of the shares it received in return for the maker’s $49.5 billion bailout in 2009. Among other things, GM will no longer have to follow rules set by Washington’s executive compensation czar.
【254】

[Time 5]
Ms Barra’s appointment as chief executive has been rumoured for months and Mr Akerson did little to hide his respect for the GM veteran. In a conference call with reporters he said that seeing Ms Barra approved unanimously by the firm’s board was a little like “watching your daughter graduate from college.” When asked how Ms Barra might fare in a company traditionally known for its old-boy mentality, Mr Akerson insisted that “that perception is quite dated.”

Indeed, the carmaker now has a fast-growing cadre of female top managers, including five on its executive committee. A full quarter of its factory managers are women. And a woman runs the crucial electric vehicle program. Still Ms Barra was not selected for her gender, Mr Akerson asserted.  “She is one of the most gifted execs I’ve met in my career.”

Mr Akerson did note, however, that the new GM that emerged from Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in 2009 is run very differently from the way the giant maker was managed in the past. It requires as much of a high EQ, or “emotional quotient,” as a solid IQ. During his nearly four years at the wheel, Mr Akerson has focused on team leadership rather than top-down management.

“Mary is a coach, and that’s the sort of management style this company needs,” says David Cole of the Centre for Automotive Research. “Women were generally more team oriented than men and tend to think outside the normal boundaries. And what we’re seeing in the auto industry is a movement from a more traditionally masculine management style to a more feminine one—where they function like a coach.”
【274】

[Time 6]
With the exception of a possible outside replacement for Mr Ammann, GM’s board is sticking with the team it has in place, although the roles will change. Theodore “Tim” Solso, the former chairman and chief executive of automotive supplier Cummins will take over Mr Akerson’s role as chairman. Mark Reuss, a veteran engineer and currently president of North American operations, will replace Ms Barra as head of global product development. Chevrolet’s global marketing chief Alan Batey will replace Mr Reuss.

Mr Akerson will be going out on an upbeat note. The carmaker’s recent earnings have exceeded Wall Street’s expectations. The share price has risen sharply in recent months, though it blipped after the Tuesday morning announcement. The core North American market is generating better than 9% returns. And many of GM’s latest models are widely praised for engineering, design and quality. The 2014 Chevrolet Impala, for example, was cited as the best sedan the influential Consumer Reports magazine has ever tested.

Still, Mr Akerson warned that “as far as we’ve come, we’ve got to go that far again.” Among other things, GM still has to fix the mess in Europe where it has been running up annual losses in the billions ever since the start of the new millennium. It also has to maintain momentum in China where there have been worrisome signs of a market slowdown. And it has to continue to upgrade older products as well as consolidate the number of different vehicle platforms it uses. But Mr Akerson said he’s confident the new chief executive can make things work.  ”Life throws you curve balls,” he said. “Mary is someone who can adapt and adjust.”
【277】
Source: economist
http://www.economist.com/blogs/schumpeter/2013/12/gm-s-new-boss
 楼主| 发表于 2013-12-13 21:41:56 | 显示全部楼层
Part III: Obstacle
Article 4:
General Motors Co. names Mary Barra as first female CEO

[Time 7]
The old boys club steering General Motors Co. for the past 105 years was shaken up Tuesday with the announcement Mary Barra would become the company’s first female chief executive — a first for GM and the global auto industry.

The news was a significant milestone in cracking the glass ceiling for female executives. Ms. Barra will join the likes of Ginni Rometty at International Business Machines Corp. and Indra Nooyi at PepsiCo Inc. in leading one of the world’s largest  iconic brands.

GM said Ms. Barra, 51, will take over from Dan Akerson, 65, when he steps down as chairman and chief executive on January 15, 2014.

“It’s an honor for me to be able to lead this team and to continue the momentum to have the best cars, trucks and crossovers with the highest quality and continue to drive value for our shareholders and all of our stakeholders,” Ms. Barra said.

The timing of her appointment was pushed up due to the ill-health of  Mr. Akerson’s wife.

Mr. Akerson described Ms. Barra as both “eminently qualified” and “well-received” within the company. He also credited her for bringing order to the company’s product development strategy at a time when the Detroit automaker was thrown into chaos in the depth of the economic crisis.

He said Ms. Barra was no token appointment.

“Mary was not picked because of her gender,” Mr. Akerson said on a conference call.

“Mary’s one of the most gifted executives I’ve met in my career. She was picked for her talent not her gender, not for political correctness [nor] anything of that order.”

Mr. Akerson said he informed Ms. Barra personally of her appointment in a private conversation, and equated it to the sort of pride a father feels when watching his daughter graduate from college.

Ms. Barra is among a group of female executives who have been making inroads in the auto industry in recent years, including Dianne Craig, who was appointed chief executive of Ford Motor Co. of Canada in 2011.

Mr. Akerson said the notion that GM is an old boys club is a dated one.

“I would assert that’s an old perception of General Motors,” Mr. Ackerson said.

He noted women run a quarter of the company’s plants; a number of senior engineering jobs are held by women; and five members of the company’s board are female, including Ms. Barra.

Mr. Akerson predicted Ms. Barra’s appointment earlier this year when he said that a woman would eventually run one of the three largest U.S.-based automakers.

“The Detroit Three are all run by non-car guys,” Mr. Akerson said in September in Detroit. “Someday, there will be a Detroit Three that’s run by a car gal.”

The decision comes one day after the U.S. Treasury announced it had sold its remaining common stock in the Detroit automaker stemming from the US$60-billion government bailout of the company in 2009 during the economic crisis.

As such, it’s the start of a new era for the company in many ways despite the fact that the Canadian and Ontario governments still hold 110 million shares, or 8% of the outstanding common stock, in the company stemming from the bailout.

“GM is in more than capable hands as we’ve seen some of the best products released under Mary Barra, who has helped to oversee the development of their vehicles on a global scale,” said Jared Rowe, Kelley Blue Book, president.

Daniel Acker/BloombergMost recently Barra led the company’s US$15 billion vehicle- development operations, a high-profile role that’s given her sway over the look and feel of the full line of GM cars and trucks.
“Now that the company has also been freed from government ownership, Mary has the opportunity to see the company continue to develop vehicles that consumers want to drive while improving its continued profitability,” he added.

Ms. Barra has more than 33 years of experience at GM and is well respected within the company. She is credited with helping with the ongoing turnaround and revitalizing of GM’s cars and trucks with top selling models like the Chevy Impala, most recently filling the role of executive vice-president of global product development, purchasing and supply chain.

Ms. Barra, the daughter of a Pontiac die-maker, began her career at GM in 1980 as a co-op student on the factory floor in the Pontiac Motor Division, and received her MBA from the Stanford Graduate School of Business in 1990.

Ms. Barra beat out Mark Ruess, GM North American president, and Dan Ammann, GM chief financial officer, in the competition for the top job.

GM said Mr. Ammann would take over as president of the company, while Mr. Ruess would succeed Ms. Barra as executive vice-president of global product development, purchasing and supply chain.

Mr. Akerson said Ms. Barra’s immediate challenges would be to execute on the company’s product strategy, including reducing the number of global platforms it has, upgrading its powertrain capabilities, and addressing the issues in its international operations, including in Europe.

“As far as we’ve come, we must travel that much further to achieve the greatness this company once represented in corporate and global business,” he said.
【865】

Source:Financialpost
http://business.financialpost.com/2013/12/10/general-motors-co-to-name-mary-barra-as-first-female-ceo/
发表于 2013-12-13 21:51:57 | 显示全部楼层
占个位~谢谢kim~

Speaker:
Although his girlfriend is a little possessive,the man thinks she is just concerned about him and sweet.

掌管 6        00:04:30.59        00:11:07.78
掌管 5        00:01:32.79        00:06:37.18
掌管 4        00:01:09.40        00:05:04.39
掌管 3        00:01:05.84        00:03:54.98
掌管 2        00:01:28.70        00:02:49.13
掌管 1        00:01:20.42        00:01:20.42

Obstacle:
main idea:Something about the announcement that Mary Barra would become the company’s first female chief executive.
structure:
1.introduces the news
2.shows Mr. Akerson's comments on Mary Barra(She was picked for her talent not her gender)
3.It’s the start of a new era for the company in many ways
4.a brief introduction to Ms. Barra
5.optimistic expectations for the future
发表于 2013-12-13 22:01:26 | 显示全部楼层
Thx, kim!   

Speaker:
dating a possessive person:
to date: to see someone romantically.
as much as the next guy: just like other people, used to emphasize what u do or what u like to do is normal.
own: control.
possessive: to want to have sth. only for yourself, u don't wanna share with someone else.
to put one's foot down: to be very assertive, to clearly indicate what u are willing to do or not willing to do.
cling: to hold on to sth.
clingy:  tightly. want to be with another person so much that the other person may get annoyed or bothered. the other person may not like u being that close to them.
so much as: esp. when we referring to, usu. referring to sth. that doesn't seem very important, that is very small action that shouln't cause the person to get angry.
reassure: say sth. to someone to make them feel more confident or comfortable about the situation they have doubted about.
critical: to say negative things about another person.
to report in: to contact someone and tell them what u are doing, usu. so that the person can monitor your progress.
whereabouts: where you are. the police often use this word.
to be controlling: to want to make all decisions to another person.

Speed:
2'03''
1'56''
1'38''
1'46''
1'45''

Obstacle-5'33''
MI: MB is named as first female CEO in GM CEO history.
the huge contribution of MB to GM.
the outstanding working ability rather than gender or any other things helps MB win the CEO.
the former CEO of GM gives a high praise to MB.

发表于 2013-12-13 22:26:22 | 显示全部楼层
小道消息,来个首页,哈哈哈~~
speaker 估计很有趣O(∩_∩)O哈哈~
之前准备发个yahoo,ceo mayor的专题来着~~

Time2: 1m39s
The first woman CEO for GM, a manufacturing-industry company is different type leader,not because she is woman,but because want to reinvent the firm.

Time3:1m40s
There are still many inequality in workplace between man and woman.
I hope that one day i can hear the news about her,but not that she is a woman.

Time4:1m27s
Mary barra will breaking the glass ceiling became the most powerful woman executives in American.

Time5: 1m29s
Mr akerson think that the auto industry should transform form the masculine management style to feminine one and deem the mary as a coach who really have outstanding performance.

Time6: 1m35s
The GM board will change, and the car market present the good future.
As far as we have come ,we have got to go that far again.

Obstacle: 5m46s

Mr.Akerson announced that  Ms.barra will replace the CEO position next year .

Ms.Akerson become the first woman CEO in this boys group, although Ford Motor Co. of Canada appointed the first female CEO in auto industry in 2011.

The government has sold all it’s stock,and GM freed from the government ownership.

Mr.barra has been in GM 31 years,and achieve significant respect.

She also made huge improvement in her area.

She win the two other managers for the top position .  

She face the new product challenge: reducing international platforms,  enhancing powertrain capabilities,and address the international operation.

保住首页~~~

发表于 2013-12-13 22:34:05 | 显示全部楼层
Thanks Kim  终于有了首页的小节奏 噢耶!
===============================
Time 2 1'22'' Mary Barra's success and the gender problem.
Time 3 1'24''
Time 4 1'23'' Organization changes within GM and the future challenge.
Time 5 1'30''
Time 6 1'27''
Obstacle 4'18''
发表于 2013-12-13 22:44:16 | 显示全部楼层
占一个~
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TIME2:2'32''67
MB:the first woman CEO of GM ,her speical type of leader and her strategy to lead the company
but most cause puplic attention is her gender
and some statistic relative to the woman's leadership roles

TIME3:1'55'79
now more and more women advanced into top leadership position
and the author who wrote about gender inequalities in business answers that:classify some facts but it is still mystify
the author's attitude: hope more changes about the situation

TIME4:1'38''09
MR will replace dan to be the chairman of GM
good news for GM

TIME5:1'40''55
MR akerson's view about MR:she was approved unanimously by board ,fast-growing ,and her well performence in work
high evaluation

TIME6:1'37''73
other changes in GM ,current situation and existed problems

OBSATCLE:4‘31’‘3

辛辛苦苦占了个首页竟然忘交作业了,主页君我错了~
发表于 2013-12-13 22:49:47 | 显示全部楼层
首页咩? 哦耶~~谢谢kimwang~

Speaker:
Helen is a little possessiveand a jealous type. The man has to report everything to his girlfriends.
Helen is acontrolling woman.
To date means to have a bf or gf.
Speed:
Time2:1’44
Time3:1’38
Time4:1’35
Time5:1’39
Time6:1’46
Obstacle:4’54
发表于 2013-12-13 23:23:40 | 显示全部楼层
首页末班车 ,占~~~~

Speaker:the dialogue is about the possessive controlling and jealous person.

01:28
Talking about the background and achievement of Mary Barra.People still forcus on her gender,because there are too few woemn in leadership roles.

01:21
The reason of inequality in business may be only emotional responses.Still many companies do not have female in borad,but the thing is hoped to change.

01:06
Mary Barra will replace Dan Akerson to become the CEO of GM.And it bring some good news to GM

01:25
Mr Akerson respects Mary Barra and thinks that she is selected by her ability and EQ,which is suitable for current GM.More and more women emerge in GM's executive.

01:19
The personnel change in GM.GM's earnings is out of investors' expectations.But GM is still facing many problems in Europe and China.Mary Barra are thought to be able to solve these problems.

03:45
Main Idea:Mary Barra become the first female CEO of GM
When the news released,Mary Barra soon becomes the milestone in GM's history.
The former CEO Mr. Akerson said the she was picked for her talent rather than other things.
The appointment was made after the  U.S. Treasury sold its remain common stock of GM,which means that the new era of the company comes aftet the  financial crisis.
Mary Barra has worked for GM for more than 30 years and was promoted step by step.
The  immediate challenges of Mary Barra would be to execute on the company’s product strategy,She will bring the company to a new stage.
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-4-19 09:22
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部