ESL Podcast 953 – Living With Insects and Spiders

[Rephrase 1]  

[Dialog,18 min 55 sec]

Transcript
Slow Dialog: 1:12
Explanations: 3:12
Fast Dialog: 14:31

Judith: Ahh! Get it off me!

Murad: It’s just a tiny spider. Don’t freak out.

Judith: I hate spiders. What is this place you’ve brought me to?

Murad: It’s one of the most beautiful spots in the world and we’ll be staying here tonight.

Judith: You mean we’ll be roughing it in this cabin? Is that a cockroach that just ran across the floor?

Murad: Maybe. In this place, you’ll see some of the most amazing things. It’s the next best thing to sleeping in the open.

Judith: Great. Can you close that window? There are flies and moths everywhere, and I think those were bees and wasps just outside the door.

Murad: They won’t bother you if you don’t bother them. Listen to that! We can fall asleep to the sound of crickets.

Judith: Ouch! I think I’ve just been bitten by a giant mosquito.

Murad: You’re imagining things. Look at those butterflies just outside the window. Don’t you think they’re beautiful?

Judith: Do you know what would look beautiful to me right now? A really big mosquito net!

Source: ESL
http://www.eslpod.com/website/show_podcast.php?issue_id=14457324

本帖子中包含更多资源

您需要 登录 才可以下载或查看,没有帐号?立即注册

x
 楼主| 发表于 2013-12-6 22:04:40 | 显示全部楼层
Part II: Speed
Article 1:
OBAMA: NELSON MANDELA 'BELONGS TO THE AGES'
[Time 2]
President Barack Obama on Thursday eulogized former South African President Nelson Mandela as a man who "belongs to the ages."

"Today, he's gone home," Obama said from the White House briefing room.

Mandela died Thursday at the age of 95. He is survived by his wife, Graça Machel, six children, and 17 grandchildren.

Obama said he was one of the "countless millions" that drew inspirations from Mandela's life. Mandela, he said, was a man " who took history in his hands and bent the arc of the moral universe toward justice."

"Let us pause and give thanks for the fact that Nelson Mandela lived," Obama said.

"We will not likely see the likes of Nelson Mandela again. So it falls to us as best we can to forward the example that he set — to make decisions guided not by hate, but by love, to never discount the difference that one person can make, to strive for a future that is worthy of his sacrifice."

Here is Obama's full statement on Mandela's death:

"At his trial in 1964, Nelson Mandela closed his statement from the dock saying, “I have fought against white domination, and I have fought against black domination.  I have cherished the ideal of a democratic and free society in which all persons live together in harmony and with equal opportunities.  It is an ideal which I hope to live for and to achieve.  But if needs be, it is an ideal for which I am prepared to die.”

And Nelson Mandela lived for that ideal, and he made it real.  He achieved more than could be expected of any man.  Today, he has gone home.  And w e have lost one of the most influential, courageous, and profoundly good human beings that any of us will share time with on this Earth.  He no longer belongs to us -- he belongs to the ages.

Through his fierce dignity and unbending will to sacrifice his own freedom for the freedom of others, Madiba transformed South Africa -- and moved all of us.  His journey from a prisoner to a President embodied the promise that human beings -- and countries -- can change for the better.  His commitment to transfer power and reconcile with those who jailed him set an example that all humanity should aspire to, whether in the lives of nations or our own personal lives.  And the fact that he did it all with grace and good humor, and an ability to acknowledge his own imperfections, only makes the man that much more remarkable.  As he once said, “I am not a saint, unless you think of a saint as a sinner who keeps on trying.”
【449】

[Time 3]
I am one of the countless millions who drew inspiration from Nelson Mandela's life.  My very first political action, the first thing I ever did that involved an issue or a policy or politics, was a protest against apartheid.  I studied his words and his writings.  The day that he was released from prison gave me a sense of what human beings can do when they’re guided by their hopes and not by their fears.  And like so many around the globe, I cannot fully imagine my own life without the example that Nelson Mandela set, and so long as I live I will do what I can to learn from him.

To Graça Machel and his family, Michelle and I extend our deepest sympathy and gratitude for sharing this extraordinary man with us.  His life’s work meant long days away from those who loved him the most.  And I only hope that the time spent with him these last few weeks brought peace and comfort to his family.

To the people of South Africa, we draw strength from the example of renewal, and reconciliation, and resilience that you made real.  A free South Africa at peace with itself -- that’s an example to the world, and that’s Madiba’s legacy to the nation he loved.

We will not likely see the likes of Nelson Mandela again.  So it falls to us as best we can to forward the example that he set:  to make decisions guided not by hate, but by love; to never discount the difference that one person can make; to strive for a future that is worthy of his sacrifice.

For now, let us pause and give thanks for the fact that Nelson Mandela lived -- a man who took history in his hands, and bent the arc of the moral universe toward justice.  May God Bless his memory and keep him in peace."
【317】

Source: yahoo finance
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/obama-deliver-statement-death-nelson-220539491.html;_ylt=AwrSyCWqkqFSOygA80qTmYlQ

Article 2:
Three Creativity Challenges from IDEO’s Leaders
[Time 4]
People often ask us how they can become more creative. Through our work at the global design and innovation firm IDEO and David’s work at Stanford University’s d.school, we’ve helped thousands of executives and students develop breakthrough ideas and products, from Apple’s first computer mouse to next-generation surgical tools for Medtronic to fresh brand strategies for the North Face in China. This 2012 HBR article outlines some of the approaches we use, as does our new book, Creative Confidence:  Unleashing the Creative Potential Within Us All. One of our top recommendations? Practice being creative. The more you do it, the easier it gets.

Of course, exercising your mind can sometimes feel more daunting than exercising your muscles. So we’ve developed ten creativity challenges to jump-start your practice. Some you can do by yourself; some require a team. Some seem incredibly simple; others you might find more challenging. Three are presented below; we hope you’ll try at least one.

CREATIVITY CHALLENGE #1:  PUSH YOURSELF TO THINK DIVERGENTLY

Mindmaps are a powerful way to overcome fear of the blank page, look for patterns, explore a subject, come up with truly innovative ideas, record their evolution so you can trace back in search of new insights, and communicate your thought processes to others. While lists help you capture the thoughts you already have, mindmaps help to generate wildly new ones. They are extremely versatile, and we use them all the time, not only at work but also at home, for example, to come up with dinner party ideas. (See illustration.)

TOOL: Mindmap

PARTICIPANTS: Usually a solo activity

TIME: 15–60 minutes

SUPPLIES: Paper (the bigger the better) and pen

INSTRUCTIONS:

On a large blank piece of paper, write your central topic or challenge in the middle of the paper and circle it.

Ask yourself, “What else can I add to the map that is related to this theme?” Write down ideas, branching out from the center, and don’t worry if they feel clichéd or obvious. That happens to everyone.

Use each connection to spur new ideas. If you think one of your ideas will lead to a whole new cluster, draw a quick rectangle or oval around it to emphasize that it’s a hub.

Keep going. As the map progresses, your mind will open up, and you’ll likely discover some wild, unpredictable, dissociative ideas .

You are done when the page fills or the ideas dwindle. If you’re feeling warmed up but not finished, try to reframe the central topic and do another mindmap to get a fresh perspective. If you feel you’ve done enough, think about which ideas you would like to move forward with.
【443】

[Time 5]
CREATIVITY CHALLENGE #2: JUMP-START AN IDEATION SESSION

We learned this 30 Circles exercise from David’s mentor, Bob McKim. It’s a great warm-up and also highlights the balance between fluency (the speed and quantity of ideas) and flexibility (how different or divergent they are).

TOOL: 30 Circles

PARTICIPANTS: Solo or groups of any size

TIME: 3 minutes, plus discussion

SUPPLIES: Pen and a piece of paper (per person) with 30 blank circles on it of approximately the same size.

INSTRUCTIONS:

Give each participant one 30 Circles sheet of paper (see example) and something to draw with.
Ask them to turn as many of the blank circles as possible into recognizable objects in three minutes.
Compare results. Look for the quantity or fluency of ideas. Ask how many people filled in ten, 15, 20, or more circles? (Most people don’t finish.) Next, look for diversity or flexibility in ideas. Are the ideas derivative (a basketball, a baseball, a volleyball) or distinct (a planet, a cookie, a happy face)? If people were drawing their own circles, did anyone “break the rules” and combine two or more (a snowman or a traffic light)? Were the rules explicit, or just assumed?

CREATIVITY CHALLENGE #3: LEARN FROM OBSERVING HUMAN BEHAVIOR

You’ve gone into the field in search of knowledge, meeting people on their home turf, watching and listening intently. Now synthesize all that data by creating an “empathy map”.

TOOL: Empathy Map

PARTICIPANTS: Solo or groups of two to eight people

TIME: 30–90 minutes

SUPPLIES: Whiteboard or large flip chart, Post-its, and pens

INSTRUCTIONS:

On a whiteboard or a large flip chart, draw a four-quadrant map. Label the sections with “say,” “do,” “think,” and “feel,” respectively.
Write down each of your key observations from the field on one Post-it note and populate the “say” and “do” quadrants. Try color-coding, for example, using green Post-its for positive statements and actions, yellow for neutral, and pink or red for frustrations, confusion, or pain points.
When you run out of observations (or room) in those quandrants, begin to fill the “think and” and “feel” sections with Post-its, based on the body language, tone, and choice of words you observed. Use the same color coding.
Take a step back and look at the map as a whole. What insights or conclusions can you draw from what you’ve written down. What seems new or surprising? Are there contradictions or disconnects within or between quadrants? What unexpected patterns appear? What, if any, latent human needs emerge?
【415】

Source: hbr
http://blogs.hbr.org/2013/11/three-creativity-challenges-from-ideos-leaders/

Article 3:
Hillary Clinton or Joe Biden? Obama says won't choose between them for 2016
[Time 6]
(Reuters) - President Barack Obama says both Hillary Clinton and Joe Biden would make outstanding presidents. And beyond that, he's staying out of the debate about who should succeed him in 2016.

That was the message Obama laid down in an interview on Thursday with MSNBC's "Hardball" program when host Chris Matthews asked him to compare and contrast the two.

"Not I chance am I doing that," he said.

"Both Hillary and Joe would make outstanding presidents and possess the qualities that are needed to be outstanding presidents," he said.

America's political world is a boil as to whether former Secretary of State Clinton will seek the Democratic presidential nomination in 2016. Similar questions are being asked about Biden, Obama's vice president.

Clinton, wife of former President Bill Clinton, leads most surveys of Democratic voters, and many analysts doubt Biden would seek the nomination if it put him up against Clinton.

But Clinton has steadfastly refused to say for sure whether she will run while making carefully selected appearances around the country and working on a book.

Even Bill Clinton, who works with his wife at the Clinton Global Initiative, is professing ignorance of her plans.

"No, I don't," he told Fusion television on Tuesday when asked if he knew about her 2016 plans.

"She's trying to finish her book. She's gotten several projects up and going with our foundation. And she believes and I believe that the four-year campaign mania is a big mistake," he said.

Obama said Clinton and Biden have "different strengths" but both would be outstanding.
【260】

Source: reuters
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/12/06/us-usa-politics-obama-idUSBRE9B500I20131206

本帖子中包含更多资源

您需要 登录 才可以下载或查看,没有帐号?立即注册

x
 楼主| 发表于 2013-12-6 22:04:41 | 显示全部楼层
Part III: Obstacle
Article 4:
In the Murky World of Bitcoin, Fraud Is Quicker Than the Law
[Time 7]
The call went out on Twitter: “For insane profits come and join the pump.”

It was an invitation to a penny stock-style pump-and-dump scheme — only this one involved Bitcoin, the soaring, slightly scary virtual currency that has beckoned and bewildered people around the world.

While such bid ’em up, sell ’em off scams are shut down in the financial markets all the time, this one and other frauds involving digital money have gone unchecked. The reason, in no small part: Government authorities do not agree on which laws apply to Bitcoin — or even on what Bitcoin is.

The person behind the recent scheme, a trader known on Twitter as Fontas, said in a secure Internet chat that he operated with little fear of a crackdown.

For insane profits come and join the pump, there is no obligation to but it’s nice to be on the right side of a price movement

— Fontas (@fontase) 25 Nov 13

“For now, the lack of regulations allows everything to happen,” Fontas said in the chat, where he verified his control of the Twitter account, which has thousands of followers, but did not give his identity. He added that Bitcoin and its users would benefit when someone steps in to police this financial wild west, and would stop his schemes when they do.

Chinese authorities drew attention to the issue on Thursday when they announced that they were barring Chinese banks from making Bitcoin transactions. The same day, the Bank of France issued its own warning about the potential risks. The news sent the price of Bitcoin tumbling, but it quickly bounced back to near its all-time high of around $1,200.

Bitcoins are little more than computer code — created according to a set algorithm and traded between online wallets using virtual keys. Some people insist that virtual currencies could become a revolutionary new form of payment in the real world. Bank of America became the first major Wall Street bank to release research about Bitcoin on Thursday, noting that it could become “a major player in both e-commerce and money transfer.”

So far, though, Bitcoin has been driven up primarily by people who are betting it will rise and rise because there is a finite supply. The initial computer program established that only 21 million Bitcoins would ever be created.

Because there are no limits on who can buy Bitcoins, they have attracted investors of all stripes. The value of all the Bitcoins in existence is now more than $12 billion after a volatile surge increased the value by more than 1,000 percent over the last month.

But the excitement over this rapid ascent has obscured the fraud, hacking and outright theft that have become an increasingly regular part of the virtual currency world — even for the most sophisticated, legitimate players — and the lack of any visible response from law enforcement agencies.

This has allowed more than 30 episodes in which at least 1,000 Bitcoins — or $1 million at the current rate of exchange — were stolen or transferred illegally, according to a frequently updated list on the most popular online forum for Bitcoin. Of those cases, 10 involved losses of more than 10,000 Bitcoins, or $10 million at the current value. The authorities have only been publicly involved in one of these cases.

This week, the virtual currency world has been abuzz over a heist in which 96,000 Bitcoins — currently worth about $100 million — were said to be taken from an online marketplace known for selling illegal drugs.

Because of the murky nature of the virtual currency, thefts can be hard to verify. But the increasing stream of episodes underscores how quickly con artists can take advantage of new forms of investing and how slow the authorities can be in responding to emerging financial risks.

The association of state securities regulators put digital money on its list of the top 10 threats to investors for the first time this year. At a hearing last month, three federal agencies said they were carefully tracking virtual currencies for illicit activity.

But Judith M. Shaw, the top securities regulator in Maine, said that it was often hard to determine which authority should be cracking down on virtual currency fraud, or even what constitutes fraud in a market that some view as a giant bubble and others as the future of money.

“The jurisdiction has not been clearly established because it’s new uncharted territory,” Ms. Shaw said. “Everyone is just trying to figure out how this is all going to play out.”

The five Chinese agencies that released a notice on Thursday, including the People’s Bank of China, said that citizens of the country would still be allowed to buy and sell digital money, but it warned that participants “assume the risks themselves.”

Authorities in the United States have cracked down on the criminal use of virtual currencies in a few cases, but those have been isolated situations in which the coins have been used for illegal purposes in the real world, like money laundering and trade in illicit goods. The owner of the Silk Road, a website where drugs and weapons could be bought with Bitcoins, was arrested earlier this year.

But for crimes contained within the Bitcoin network — like thefts from apparently reputable online wallets where Bitcoins are stored — there has been almost no accountability.

The largest Bitcoin payment processor in Europe, BIPS, said last month that it was hacked and that it lost about $1 million worth of Bitcoins, including coins that were in the personal online wallets of customers. The company, which is still in business, said this week that it would be “unable to reimburse Bitcoins lost unless the stolen coins are retrieved.”

The company said that the Danish police were examining the case but added that the authorities could “not classify this as a theft due to the current nonregulation of Bitcoin.”

“There is absolutely no consumer protection in any sector of the Bitcoin economy,” said Sarah Meiklejohn, a graduate student at the University of California, San Diego, who researches the industry.

After writing a paper on Bitcoin transactions this year, Ms. Meiklejohn said she began receiving emails almost daily from victims of theft who asked her to help track down the perpetrators. Ms. Meiklejohn said that despite the long odds of success, she had generally offered to help, knowing that the victims had nowhere else to turn.

“I figure I can at least respond to them and provide some sense they are being heard,” Ms. Meiklejohn said.

Part of the problem is that regulators have not agreed on how to classify Bitcoin. The Securities and Exchange Commission has authority to regulate securities, like stocks, in the United States. This allowed the agency to punish a Bitcoin Ponzi scheme this year because the agreement between the swindler and the victims was considered a security. But so far, the agency has not determined whether Bitcoin itself can be categorized as a security, making it hard for it to crack down on trading fraud.

Chinese authorities said on Thursday that Bitcoin was a “virtual commodity that does not share the same legal status of a currency.” In the United States, that classification could put Bitcoin under the Commodity Futures Trading Commission. But that agency has not assumed responsibility. In the immediate future, the most likely source of enforcement may be the Federal Bureau of Investigation’s cybersecurity team.

“It’s becoming something of enough value that these agencies are going to wake up and want to find one of these thieves,” said Patrick Murck, the general counsel at the Bitcoin Foundation, a nonprofit group that promotes virtual currencies. “There is no way that anyone can think this is not a real thing that is not worth going after.”
【1296】

Source:yahoo finance
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/murky-world-bitcoin-fraud-quicker-235833462.html

发表于 2013-12-6 22:05:05 | 显示全部楼层
占住!!~~~ 耶  ~~~谢KIM
haha  楼下小伙伴我也看Kimi~这期他好乖巧
-----
SPEED
2+3 3'45
4+5 4'15
6 1'21

OBSTACLE
6'58

>government authorities do not agree on which laws apply to Bitcoin
>brief introduction of Bitcoin , its finite supply factor and its value
> Bitcoin's fraud -- hard to crack down
> no consumer protection
>disagree on how to classify Bitcoin

发表于 2013-12-6 22:13:33 | 显示全部楼层
( ⊙o⊙ )哇楼上也太快了吧= =!支持Kim~一会儿去看Kimi~
周末在家也太倦怠了,鸡血啊啊啊啊 啊!!!
先贴上speed……
3:02
1:58
3:07
2:55
1:36(真是创造了跟队以来最迟填坑记录了好嘛!摔!)
Obstacle
introduce Bitcoin---government authority disagree
lack of regulation
China, France--- bar; issued potential risk--- price of Bitcoin transaction fell but quickly bounced back
traded between online wallets using virtual keys---may become a big palyer
beneficial but has obscured the fraud--- stolen or transferred illegally---authority plan to reduce its potential risk---often hard---crimes almost no accountable---no consumer protection
problems: disagree on clarification
发表于 2013-12-6 22:55:40 | 显示全部楼层
哈哈,哈喽楼上
Speaker

The man take the woman to a place with insects. The woman scared and want to leave,but the man tell her they will sleep this place tonight.
Different  insects:

tiny spider : arachnid
crockroach : large brown insects live in dirty place than in the clean place.
fly : small black insects
moth : fly insects, white green, brown color, attract to light
bees : yellow black strip, dangerous, sting you not bite you
wasp : yellow black strip, make nests
cracket: insect similat to the grasshopper, in the night or after sun was setting
mosquito
vampire : often appear in the television

freak out: lose control the words or action  because of scary or angry
in the open : out side the home
get off : move across from someone's body

speed

Time2: 2m38s
Obama ‘s statement after the nelson’s death show that the Nelson Mandela,who sacrify himself freedom to create a ideal society for human,  is belong to the age and he is go back home
Time3:1m33s
Obama show that his many decision are guided by N’s words and writing and sends the regard to Nelson Mandela‘s family and whole South Africa.
Time4: 2m46s
Everyone want to know how to improve the creativity.
The first tip, depict a mind map, fill with ideas as many as possible.
Time5: 2m39s
Second: fill with tangible objects into 30 circles.
Third :  Fill the 4 quadrant: say ,do ,think feel with color ,observe the others human behavior. 这一个没太懂~~

Time6: 1m25s
When ask who will win in the 2016 election,obama said both of them have strength to be outstanding.

Obstacle: 6m25s
Bitcoin become popular,but who involved them are take the risks.
There have no law to regulate this kind of currency.
United states and china did not deem the bitcoin as the same as the real currency.
Actually ,a lot of theft and illegal goods transaction through bitcoin.
A graduate students launch the report,and many people write to her to track down the theft .  There is no way can anyone think this is not a real thing worth go after.  

发表于 2013-12-6 22:57:30 | 显示全部楼层
好久没首页啦~继续加油

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OBSATCLE:8'31''56

bitcoin the only pump-and-dump scheme stock style because no law apply to or lack of regulation
china and france central bank was stop bitcoin transactions
some people and wall street bank believe that bitcoin maybe play a more important role
B: virtual currency .no limits and attract many investors.high value 成交量大
china or american gov are unable to establishe jurisdiction about bitcoin beacuse it is new and they only give some warns
BIPS largest payment processor
problem:no regulation and no one can classify bitcoin
china:distinguish form currency

好混乱哦,分成两段来读中间也遗漏了许多。555555

发表于 2013-12-6 23:00:20 | 显示全部楼层
谢谢啦~首页占个位~

Speed
2:32
1:29
2:35
2:17
2:14

Obstacle 8:54
main idea: Bitcoin
明天回宿舍用电脑码。。QAQ
发表于 2013-12-6 23:26:31 | 显示全部楼层
28-18
Speaker
Moth-an insect related to the butterfly that flies mainly atnight and is attracted to lights. Some moths eat holes in cloth
Cricket-a small brown insect that can jump, and that makes arough sound by rubbing its wings together

2 449 2min24
3 317 1min18
I am one of the countless millions who drew inspiration fromNelson Mandela's life. let us pause and give thanks for the fact that NelsonMandela lived -- a man who took history in his hands, and bent the arc of themoral universe toward justice.
4 443 2min22
5 415 1min58
breakthrough ideas and products, Apple’s first computermouse to next-generation surgical tools for Medtronic to fresh brand strategiesfor the North Face in China. PUSH YOURSELF TO THINK DIVERGENTLY, JUMP-START ANIDEATION SESSION, LEARN FROM OBSERVING HUMAN BEHAVIOR
6 260 1min51
发表于 2013-12-7 00:13:36 | 显示全部楼层
Kim的IDEO那篇选的好棒!
28-18
Speaker:
freak out: lose control of your words and actions, usu. because ur very frightened or angry.

Speeding:
T2-3'02''
T3-1'44''
T4-3'21''
T5-3'04''
T6-1'47''

Obstacle-9'42''
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-3-28 21:14
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部