ChaseDream
搜索
返回列表 发新帖
查看: 18173|回复: 76

[阅读小分队] 【Native Speaker每日综合训练—28系列】【28-07】文史哲_Love & Sex [修正版]

[精华]   [复制链接]
发表于 2013-11-24 22:40:50 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
各位小分队队员们,由于我在编辑28-7的训练时没有与猴哥前一天的练习进行比较与查重,结果导致连续两天的越障都是同一篇文章;另外,因为我在发帖之后出去旅游没有上网,直到今天才发现问题,虽有有进行改正,但也担心有些晚了
每次发帖都能得到队员们的支持与鼓励,我总是很开心也很感激,但这次因为我的不仔细而带来了许多问题,心里特别过意不去,也非常对不起大家
不管怎样,我表示这种情况不会再发生!也非常感谢大家对我的监督与提醒~

jay

This Sunday is here~

I guess some of you guys might become evil after glancing at the title. But if you do, you will be disappointed~

Firstly, the Speed Part, for my first time, is related to the other parts. And it is some external information of the second passage in the Speed Part.
Secondly, the Speed Part consists of two passages. To begin with, the first one is a pure romantic love story I want to share with you. The other one is about philosophical sphere of love.
Thirdly, the Obstacle Part is the introduction of two movies concerning love and sex. They are “Crazy, Stupid, Love” and “Friends with Benefits ”, and there are the links of the two movies from IMDB:
CSL: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1570728/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2
FB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1632708/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Ok, let's start from here~

Part 1 Speaker
[Rephrase1]
The Brain in Love

[Speech 15'54]
Audio:
Transcript:
Source: http://www.ted.com/talks/helen_fisher_studies_the_brain_in_love.html

本帖子中包含更多资源

您需要 登录 才可以下载或查看,没有帐号?立即注册

x
 楼主| 发表于 2013-11-24 22:41:52 | 显示全部楼层
Part 2 Speed

Article 1(Check the title later)
Sarah Beth

by Andrew Garibay

[TIME2]
She walked out of the sliding doors and into my life. Although I had know her for months, it was like new life was breathed into my soul, which had, in the past, been rendered useless. With the most majestic, sparkling green eyes you would ever see, she brought along hope, love and desire, things that I thought were dead to me, but now more alive then ever. I can be honest…the moment I laid eyes on her, I wondered how wonderful it would be to feel those sweet lips pushed against mine. I wondered what it would be like to hold her in my arms for the first time, with her hair just below the cusp of my nose, allowing me to breathe her in. Months of talking to her were still not enough to prepare me for that. Eventually, we made our way to the sea. Our moon was out, with his friends, the stars. In fact, a couple of his friends darted across the sky just for us. Our eyes caught one of them racing across the blackness at the same time and it's a moment that is frozen into my memory for all time. We held each other close for warmth, but also just to be close. My heart beat faster after each waning moment, wondering if tonight would be the night of our first kiss. We had talked about it before, how perfect and special it would be, to be only a kisses distance away. To feel her breath hit my mouth is something so sweet and so tender that words cannot explain. We cuddled, we snuggled; we held hands. I remember, as the time was approaching, as my nerves were in overdrive, I heard a noise somewhere off in the distance. I looked up and not a thing I did see. But, as I tilted my head down and saw the most beautiful woman staring back up at me, I knew that this was it…this was a moment that only God could have created. I glided down and slipped my head past hers, coming cheek to cheek with her. My mind was saying “stay here forever,” but my lips were saying otherwise. I came across her face, eye to eye now. I could feel her nose against mine, and that oh, so heavenly breath warming up my lips. I leaned further down inching ever so close. The first touch sent shockwaves up and down my body. Everything about that first kiss was incredible. The sounds, the texture, the moisture. Complete bliss. Nothing else mattered, now. This was our first kiss. Something we will always have and always remember. Eternal bliss. It's as if kissing was made for us, and only us. It is something I will never forget, something I couldn't forget. It is the kiss that I will take with me to my death...it was the kiss given to me by my Sarah Beth.
[Words: 491]
http://www.poemslovers.com/love_stories/first_kiss_stories/stories/884.html

Article 2(Check the title later)
Why We Love: 5 Books on the Psychology of Love

by Maria Popova

[TIME3]
What Oscar Wilde has to do with Hippocrates and the neurochemistry of romance.

It’s often said that every song, every poem, every novel, every painting ever created is in some way “about” love. What this really means is that love is a central theme, an underlying preoccupation, in humanity’s greatest works. But what exactly is love? How does its mechanism spur such poeticism, and how does it lodge itself in our minds, hearts and souls so completely, so stubbornly, as to permeate every aspect of the human imagination? Today, we turn to 5 essential books that are “about” love in a different way — they turn an inquisitive lens towards this grand phenomenon and try to understand where it comes from, how it works, and what it means for the human condition.

ESSAYS IN LOVE

No superlative is an exaggeration of Alain de Botton‘s humble brilliance spanning everything from philosophy to architecture. Essays in Love is precisely the kind of thoughtful, poetic, highly intelligent tome De Botton has grown famous for. Part novel, part philosophical inquiry into the origin and machinery of romantic love, the book follows the story of a love affair, tracing each stage — from the initial dopamine-driven lovesickness to the despair of love’s demise — through a beautiful blend of intellectual analysis and deeply human felt emotion. In De Botton’s classic style of networked knowledge, the narrative is sprinkled with references to and quotes from the major Western philosophers, yet equally reflective of his signature style of absorbing, highly readable narrative.
[Words: 253]

[TIME4]
Every fall into love involves [to adapt Oscar Wilde] the triumph of hope over self-knowledge. We fall in love hoping that we will not find in the other what we know is in ourselves – all the cowardice, weakness, laziness, dishonesty, compromise and brute stupidity. We throw a cordon of love around the chosen one, and decide that everything that lies within it will somehow be free of our faults and hence lovable. We locate inside another a perfection that eludes us within ourselves, and through union with the beloved, hope somehow to maintain [against evidence of all self-knowledge] a precarious faith in the species.”

WHY WE LOVE

You might recall biological anthropologist Helen Fisher‘s work from this fascinating discussion of how antidepressants impact the experience of romantic love. That’s just one of a myriad equally fascinating facets of love Fisher dissects in Why We Love: The Nature and Chemistry of Romantic Love — a journey into the mind’s blend of neurochemistry and storytelling, the hormones and neurotransmitters that make us feel certain emotions, and the stories we choose to tell ourselves about those emotions. Fisher outlines the three key components of love, each involving different but connected brain systems — lust, driven by androgens and estrogens, the craving for sexual gratification; attraction, characterized by high dopamine and norepinephrine levels and low serotonin, euphoria when things are going well and terrible mood swings when they’re not, focused attention, obsessive thinking, and intense craving for the individual; and attachment, commandeered by the hormones oxytocin and vasopressin and associated with the sense of calm, peace, and stability one feels with a long-term partner — and brings a researcher’s lens to fundamental questions about passion and obsession, joy and jealousy, monogamy and divorce.

Sample her work with this fantastic TED talk on the brain in love:
[Words: 299]

[TIME5]
THE PSYCHOLOGY OF LOVE

Originally written in 1988, The Psychology of Love is an anthology of 16 academic, though highly readable, papers dissecting various aspects of love. The collection is divided into five parts, each focusing on a specific facet of understanding love, from global theories that explain the phenomenon, to the psychology of relationship maintenance, to a critical overview of the field of love research.

For many people, love is the most important thing in their lives. Without it, they feel as though their lives are incomplete. But what is “it”? This question has been addressed by poets, novelists, philosophers, theologians, and, of course, psychologists, among others. This book presents the attempts of contemporary psychologists whose field of expertise is the study of love and close relationships to figure out just what love is.”

The book is best-read in tandem with The New Psychology of Love, the 2008 follow-up to the original title — a priceless parallel that captures how scientific and technological innovation has improved and, in some cases, shifted our understanding of love’s psychological underbelly, and perhaps more importantly, the curious fact that nearly 25 years later, we still have no succinct and singular definition of “love.”

FALLING IN LOVE

Have you ever encountered a couple with disproportionately unequal attraction levels, only to find yourself thinking that the less-attractive person “must be really funny” or “is probably some sort of genius” or some other rational explanation of the seemingly mismatched pairing? In Falling in Love: Why We Choose the Lovers We Choose, social psychologist and researcher Ayala Malach Pines tackles this and many other mysteries of the psychology of mate selection through a masterfully woven mesh of social and clinical approaches to understanding romance. The book extracts its key insights from three case studies: An interview-based study of 100 romantic relationships, a cross-cultural, data-driven juxtaposition of American and Israeli accounts of falling in love, and another interview series of 100 couples examining their reasons for falling in love in the context of turmoil later in the relationship.
[Words: 336]

[TIME6]
Is love really blind? A large body of theory and research, as well as my own research and many years of clinical work, have convinced me that the answer to this question is a firm no!”

From whether proximity is the hidden matchmaker of true romance to how conscious choices increase the likelihood of finding “true love,” Falling in Love is deeply fascinating yet warmly written, devoid of the hollow ring of academic pontification without compromising the rigor of the research or the depth of its conclusions.

A GENERAL THEORY OF LOVE

Besides having a cover the epitome of design’s capacity for communicating powerful concepts with brilliant visual simplicity, A General Theory of Love by psychologists Thomas Lewis, Fari Amini, and Richard Lannon is also a first-of-its-kind synthesis of research and poeticism, bringing a social science eye to the natural history of the grandest emotion.

Since the dawn of our species, human beings in every time and place have contended with an unruly emotional core that behaves in unpredicted and confusing ways. Science has been unable to help them. The Western world’s first physician, Hippocrates, proposed in 450 B.C. that emotions emanate from the brain. He was right — but for the next twenty-five hundred years, medicine could offer nothing further about the details of emotional life. Matters of the heart were matters only for the arts — literature, song, poetry, painting, sculpture, dance. Until now.”

Eloquent and eye-opening, A General Theory of Love illuminates “hard science” findings across brain function and neurochemistry though a humanistic prism that offers a richer, deeper understanding of the heart’s will.
[Words: 266]
Source: Brain Pickings
http://www.brainpickings.org/index.php/2011/04/18/5-must-read-books-on-love/

本帖子中包含更多资源

x
 楼主| 发表于 2013-11-24 22:43:08 | 显示全部楼层
Part 3 Obstacle

Article3 (Check the title later)
JUST THE SEX

BY DAVID DENBY
AUGUST 1, 2011

[Paraphase7]
      For the current Vanity Fair cover, the young actress Emma Stone has been outfitted as an overgrown Lolita—bikini, blond hair, flaming-red lips. But in “Crazy, Stupid, Love,” a genial, messy comedy of marital discord and mismatched lovers, Stone has auburn hair and a slightly downturned mouth; she looks like a woman, and she has a direct, clearheaded way about her that suggests the confidence of a potential star. She’s the strongest thing in the movie, though she isn’t part of the main line of the story, which is also the least interesting. It seems that, after twenty-five years, the marriage of Cal (Steve Carell) and Emily (Julianne Moore) is breaking up. Emily has been sleeping with a dull guy in her office (Kevin Bacon, in an unwritten part), and Cal, hearing this news from Emily as she drives them through Los Angeles (the movie’s geography is a little vague), opens the car door and drops to the street like a misplaced bag of groceries. That, I’m afraid, is the highlight of Cal and Emily’s scenes together.

Cal, distraught, airs his troubles in a sleek bar, with amber glass walls and white stonework and a lot of lacquered players—a sort of can-I-buy-you-a-drink store for the always available. Jacob (Ryan Gosling), the king of the bar, a mover in Simon Spurr, Gossuin, and designer stubble, takes pity on the cuckold and teaches him how to pick up women. The king’s own personal closer is “Let’s get out of here,” a line that, unaccountably, seems to work with every woman in the place except one: Hannah (Stone), a law-school graduate, who nimbly dismisses him. At least, at first. She changes her mind, though, and, arriving at his wraparound-glass bachelor pad, demands that he remove his shirt, which he does, revealing a chest and abs so perfectly sculpted that she’s revolted. She says, “Seriously? It’s like you’re Photoshopped!” Men in the audience may be relieved to hear that at least some women find the perfection of a gym body too close to narcissism to be a turn-on, and Stone gives the line, and many others, a quick, precise, tart delivery.

“Crazy, Stupid, Love,” which was directed by the team of Glenn Ficarra and John Requa, mixes a comedy-of-remarriage plot with a midsummer-night’s serial follies. Cal loves his wife; Jacob is fascinated by Hannah; Cal’s thirteen-year-old son, Robbie (Jonah Bobo), loves the teen-ager Jessica (Analeigh Tipton), who babysits for Robbie’s little sister; and Jessica loves, of all people, Cal. Written by Dan Fogelman, the script has many parts in motion, and a fair amount of it works delicately and well. Young Robbie boldly and persistently declares himself to Jessica (he doesn’t know that he’s not even in uniform, much less out of his league), and Analeigh Tipton, a tall, slender stalk with huge pouty lips, receives his declarations so sweetly that the scenes don’t humiliate the actors or us. Robbie’s quest is the overstrained hope of adolescence. The subsidiary plotlines are touching and often funny, but Cal and Emily provide the frame for all the goings on (there are a lot more). And who really cares if these nice, ordinary people remain separated or get back together? They met when they were in high school, and, apart from reminiscing about that time, they don’t have much to say to each other. In the remarriage classics (“The Awful Truth,” “The Philadelphia Story,” “His Girl Friday”), the former partners have a way of talking and being with each other that they don’t have—and couldn’t possibly have—with anyone else. That sophisticated metaphor for sexual compatibility made for uniquely satisfying romantic comedy. But “Crazy, Stupid, Love” holds to the boring modern convention that good people are inarticulate, and Cal and Emily mainly stumble around trying to fill the silence.

Julianne Moore may be too earnest an actress for rigidly structured commercial comedy. She tries to find some hard truths in the role, and she makes Emily angry, vague, and even a little dim. The character is parched and not very likable. Steve Carell has his ordinary-guy’s affect: straight, parted brown hair, elongated, almost-Cyrano nose, slightly rabbity fear of everything. Even in masochistic roles (“The 40 Year Old Virgin,” “Date Night”) in which he plays a guy one-upped sexually by other men, he always conveys the sense that he’s a rational man trying to keep his integrity, no matter how bullied and miserable he feels. It’s not clear to us that Cal, who works at something or other in an office, is good at anything in particular except moping around the back yard of the family house at night after he has moved out. Carell, trying to keep up with Jacob’s smarmy patter in the bar, seems more comfortable acting with Ryan Gosling than with Moore. Gosling, a serious fellow who usually plays alcoholics or drug addicts or murderers, refuses to distance himself from Jacob by parodying the role. His Jacob is not an ironist. He really thinks he’s God’s gift to women—apparently, no one before Hannah has told him otherwise—and he wants to spread the glory, slapping Cal to get his attention, and then leading him through a makeover, dressing him in Canali and Zegna, and teaching him such startlingly original moves as not to talk about himself when he meets a woman in a bar. Applying his superlative new techniques, Cal has his mishaps and his successes, but the filmmakers believe in soul mates forever, and that kind of thing, and the audience may not want to think about the aftermath of the movie, in which Cal and Emily discuss, again and again, that magical year they met in high school.

“Friends with Benefits” is another of those movies in which a man and a woman—in this case, Justin Timberlake as Dylan, a Los Angeles Web designer who takes a magazine job in New York, and Mila Kunis as Jamie, the head-hunter who recruits him—spend hours debating Nietzsche, Heidegger, and Sartre before committing themselves to serious talk of omelettes. No, wait. That’s in French movies. In “Friends with Benefits,” Dylan and Jamie hop into bed and make very particular demands on each other, but agree not to indulge in anything so dirty or squalid as emotion. The rule is: you may do anything you like as long as you don’t feel anything for the other person. James Thurber and E. B. White asked, “Is sex necessary?” The new trend in romantic comedy is to ask, “Is love necessary?” This movie is incomparably better than the pathetic Ashton Kutcher–Natalie Portman picture from earlier this year, “No Strings Attached,” in which the man and the woman, also friends with benefits, go at it in hospital supply closets and hybrid cars. At least Timberlake and Kunis stay in bed. And at least they talk—a great deal, in fact, and often very cleverly. “Friends with Benefits” is fast, allusive, urban, glamorous—clearly the Zeitgeist winner of the summer (the couple take the no-emotion pledge by laying their hands on a tablet Bible app). The writers, Keith Merryman, David A. Newman, and Will Gluck, who also directed, keep the characters racing ahead, each trying to outsmart the other, in and out of bed.

This mini-genre of shag-buddy pictures is rather coy (there’s only one way, in American movies, that these stories can end). And, from the beginning, its titillations are mildly delusional: can you really have sex with the same person, again and again, without experiencing any emotion at all? I know it doesn’t sound unpleasant, but can you really? Despite the mild daring of the concept, what keeps these plots going is that old screenwriting standby, the fear of commitment. Both Dylan and Jamie are supposed to be emotionally damaged. That is, unlike the rest of the world, they come from families with problems. But they don’t look the least bit damaged; they look and sound terrific, and it’s their healthy sparring that makes the movie fun. Justin Timberlake, as he demonstrated playing Sean Parker in “The Social Network,” is a shrewd actor who knows how to swing his body through a scene. His glib, talented Dylan, though, isn’t overly impressed with himself. Timberlake is charming, and he’s a dynamo when he begins imitating old pop groups (except his own). Mila Kunis, of the almond-shaped eyes and the dusky skin, is all teasing mischief and easily hurt feelings. Woody Harrelson, trying to play a gay sports editor at Dylan’s magazine, twists himself into knots. His performance is ridiculous—half the time, you don’t know what he’s saying—but you enjoy Harrelson enjoying himself. Patricia Clarkson has a comic turn as Jamie’s alcoholic, sex-addicted mom, and Richard Jenkins, as Dylan’s dad, does what he always does, which is to make his part of the movie the best part of the movie. A smart man with Alzheimer’s, painfully aware that he’s losing it, he lays down, for Dylan’s sake, some elementary life lessons. His advice, as written, is obvious, but Jenkins speaks the words with such passionate conviction that he makes them seem like ultimate wisdom.

[Words: 1530]
Source: New Yorker
http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/cinema/2011/08/01/110801crci_cinema_denby

本帖子中包含更多资源

x
发表于 2013-11-24 22:45:51 | 显示全部楼层
谢谢jay我的第一个地板
Time 2:  01''17
A man's memory about the pleased time with the woman he loved. He depicted the feeling of falling in live specifically.

Tme 3:  01''41
discuss what is love. the traits of essays in love.

Time 4:  02''04
Anthropologist Fisher's worker dissects why we love and outlines three key compenents of love-lust, attraction, and attachment.

Time 5:  01''32
Though lots of people tried to find what is love, the definition of love is still not succinct and singular. Research has being done to find the reasoning for falling in love and choosing the lovers.

Time 6:  01''44
A geneal theory of love will help people understand their heart's will deeper.

Obstacle: 06”39
the review of a love movie. the author gives summary of the complicated relationships between the characters, analyze their personalities, and comment the good parts of movie and the meaning of it.
发表于 2013-11-24 22:48:38 | 显示全部楼层
refresh!         Thanks, jay!      By SH

Speaker:

the brain of love
1.love is everywhere
2.love isn't always a happy experience.
3.the study of brain:
1st: VTA is part of reward systme,  and love's function is a little bit like rush of cocain.
         ->romantic love is a obsession. ob. worse when rejected.
2nd: now, data:1. the certain area of brain will be more active when u can't get what u want.
                         2. brain will be active as u're measuring gains and losses,      
                         3. when rejected, u will be in deep attachment to this individual.

4.whar we learn:
1.(a basic mating drive) drive<-romantic love (not sex drive)
2.romantic love is a one of the most addictive substance on earth.
3.animal love: animal attraction is instant.<animal favoritism>
<u can know every single ingredient in a piece of chocolate cake, and then when u sit down and eat that cake, u can still feel that joy.>
love spoil me?

why this one not other?
like natural inclination, future will finish this topic.

e.g.w.w->face by face. M.M->side by side
->love is in us. our challenge is to understand each other.

Speed:
T2-1'59''T3-1'17''
T4-1'46''
T5-1'47''
T6-1'40''
Obstacle- 11'04''

发表于 2013-11-24 22:53:50 | 显示全部楼层
谢谢jay~占~

speed
掌管 5        00:01:49.07        00:10:05.72
掌管 4        00:02:01.57        00:08:16.64
掌管 3        00:02:07.25        00:06:15.07
掌管 2        00:01:30.58        00:04:07.82
掌管 1        00:02:37.23        00:02:37.23

刚看到obstacle换掉啦~00:07:13.18
main idea:two love movies
structure:
1. introduces a love movie,“Crazy, Stupid, Love”
gives summary of the complicated relationships between the characters and makes comments on their personalities
2. introduces another love movie,“Friends with Benefits”
comments on this movie and its characters
发表于 2013-11-24 23:05:22 | 显示全部楼层
thx jay~
-------------
SPEED
2 2'19
3 + 4 +5 + 6  7'14
superlative 最高级
precarious 不确定的不稳固的
androgens/estrogens 雄性、雌性激素
attachment 依恋
devoid of 缺乏
a person or thing is the epitome of something, you are emphasizing that they are the best possible example of it.

obstacle

和昨天猴哥那篇一样诶
发表于 2013-11-24 23:07:34 | 显示全部楼层
深夜发帖哇~赶得巧
2:27
1:27
1:59
1:50
1:30
Obstacle好眼熟的赶脚
发表于 2013-11-24 23:08:43 | 显示全部楼层
哈哈~好像还没编好的首页
28-07
Speaker
Parting is all we need to know of hell. The less my hope,the hotter my love. The god of love lives in a state of need. It is a need. Itis an urge. It is a homeostatic imbalance. Like hunger and thirst, it's almostimpossible to stamp out. love is in us. It's deeply embedded in the brain. Ourchallenge is to understand each other.
2 491 2min31
A lot of beautiful words to describe the feeling about firstkiss. Who, how, where, when.
3 252 1min20
4 299 1min20
5 336 1min23
6 266 1min14
Love is everything in some people’s life. What exactly islove? 5 books tell us from different point of view.

发表于 2013-11-24 23:21:44 | 显示全部楼层
哈哈 跟着小鱼姐混 有首页拿~

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-3-29 02:35
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部