打印 上一主题 下一主题

[阅读小分队] 【每日阅读训练第四期——速度越障24系列】【24-13】文史哲-Olympics

[精华]   [复制链接]
跳转到指定楼层
楼主
发表于 2013-9-8 15:20:22 | 只看该作者 回帖奖励 |倒序浏览 |阅读模式
Official weibo: http://weibo.com/u/3476904471

猴哥有事,我来代班。不要问我从哪里来,我的名字叫神菜~~
                                                                                                                                    ------神菜
Part I: Speaker

Article 1

Being Tidy and Messy

[Rephrase 1]

[Dialog, 17:25]

Transcript
Audio Index:
Slow dialog: 1:11
Explanations: 3:01
Fast dialog: 15:35

Carole: It is beyond me how you and Oscar can be roommates. You’re very tidy and he’s, well, a slob.

Felix: It’s not always easy, but we’re making it work.

Carole: Isn’t Oscar really messy all the time? Whenever I see him, his clothes are rumpled and his hair is unkempt.

Felix: His room is really cluttered, but he keeps the common areas in passable condition. I do have to straighten up fairly often, and I sometimes haveto pick up after him, but that’s because I’m pretty nitpicky.

Carole: That’s very tolerant of you.

Felix: Well, we have set up a system so that if things get too messy, I have some recourse.

Carole: Really, what’s your system?

Felix: Oscar and I agreed that every time he leaves a big mess, I can fine him.

Carole: That seems kind of drastic, but maybe it works for you guys.

Felix: Yeah, it keeps the place pretty clean.

Carole: Still, knowing Oscar, you must have had to fine him a lot.

Felix: Let’s just say that my next vacation will be in Monte Carlo!

Source: ESL Podcast
http://www.eslpod.com/website/show_podcast.php?issue_id=14059604
Part II: Speed

Article 2

Olympics 2020: Istanbul, Madrid and Tokyo bid to be hosts

The cities bidding to host the2020 Olympics and Paralympics have made their presentations and described whythey should stage the Games.

[Time 2]
Istanbul, Tokyo and Madrid are the contenders in a secret ballot that will be announced at 21:00 BST on Saturday.

Turkish city Istanbul was the first to reveal its presentation at a meeting of International Olympic Committee (IOC) members in Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Tokyo's bid was shown second, followed by the Madrid presentation.

IOC members will also decide on Sunday which one of squash, baseball/softball (joint bid) or wrestling will be added to the Olympic Games programme in 2020.

And a new IOC president will be elected to replace the outgoing Jacques Rogge.

The Turkish presentation, Istanbul's fifth bid for the Olympics in the past 20 years, focused on linking Europe and Asia together, with importance placed on the country's ancient history and the multi-cultural population.

Istanbul's campaign had suffered a setback from political protests this summer - some at proposed Olympic venues - and also aseries of doping scandals among the country's athletes. But the bid presentation highlighted the strength of the country's economy, the ambition to inspire future athletes and the prospect that the Games would bring peace to the region. It also repeatedly referenced "zero tolerance to doping".

Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan said: "To decide to host the Olympic Games in Turkey, the land of youth, and in the 8,000-year-old city of Istanbul, a city where continents meet, will embody the Olympic spirit.
[208 words]

[Time 3]
"It will be the bridge to link the past with the future and link continents, cities and the legacy of mankind. We see the Olympic Games as the rings of peace, sharing and respect."
Japan's bid was the second to be heard and Prime Minister Shinzo Abe insisted Tokyo was a safe place to host the Games.

After an earthquake and tsunami hit the north-east of the country in 2011, there have been concerns that the Fukushima nuclear plant, which is 150 miles from the city, is unsafe. But Abe insisted: "It has never done, and will never do any damage to Tokyo."

The presentation also revealed the role sport had played in boosting the country in the past two years and pointed out that no Japanese athlete had failed a drug test at an Olympics or Paralympics.

Sponsorship would reach record levels and 10 new permanent sports venues would be constructed, including the Olympic Stadium, which will be finished by 2019, in time to host the Rugby World Cup

Spain's bid emphasised providing a "sensible, reliable and trustworthy" Olympics.

The presentation revealed that 80% of potential venues were already built and in use, although the delegation was also keen to stress that "Madrid is fun" and a popular tourism destination.

"This is the most responsible funding in recent Olympic history," said Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy. "Madrid can host the Olympics without any risk to the Olympic movement."

But there were further questions relating to Spain's attitude to illegal drug taking in sport, after the destruction of 200 blood bags in the recent Operation Puerto doping scandal.

"We have had a problem in the past [with doping] but we have sharpened the law," said Madrid bid president Alejandro Blanco. "We are committed to fighting against doping and we believe in clean sport."
[302 words]

[Time 4]
Mike Lee, the head of Vero Communications who worked on the successful Olympic bids for London, Rio de Janeiro (2016) and Pyeongchang (winter 2018), believes there is still all to play for.

He said: "All the bid teams have been forced onto the defensive for a large part of this campaign because of a range of issues.

"It does still feel that there is a lot to play for, and the final presentations and last two days of lobbying could be very important."

A decision will also be reached by IOC members on the addition of an extra sport for the 2020 Olympics.

A space was freed when wrestling was originally dropped in February, though it was then allowed to reapply.

It remains in the running after the IOC executive board voted for it following 30-minute presentations by each international federation.

Baseball and softball were dropped as individual sports after 2008 in Beijing, but are now back as a joint bid, while squash has never been played at the Olympics, although it is a Commonwealth Games sport.

IOC president Jacques Rogge will step down on Tuesday after 12 years at the helm and a secret ballot will take place on the same day to decide from six candidates to replace the 71-year-old Belgian.

The new president will face tough issues, including concerns over anti-gay legislation in Russia ahead of February's Winter Games in Sochi and construction delays before the 2016 Olympics in Rio.

[243 words]

Source: BBC
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/23983931

Article 3

China presentation of 2008 Beijing Olympics by Yang Lan in 2001

[Time 5]
Mr. President, Ladies and Gentlemen,Good afternoon!

Before I introduce our cultural programs, only tell you one thing first about 2008. You're going to have a great time in Beijing. Many people are fascinated by Chins's sport legends in the history. For example, back to Song Dynasty, which was the 11th century, people in our country started to play a game called Cuju, which is regarded as the origin of ancient football. The game was so popular that women were also participating. Now, you would probably understand why our women's football team does so well today.

There are a lot more wonderful and exciting events waiting for you in the New Beijing, a modern metropolis with 3,000 years of cultural treasures woven into the urban tapestry. Along with the iconic imagery of the Forbidden City, the Temple of Heaven and the Great Wall, the city also offers an endless mixture of theatres, museums, discos, all kinds of restaurants and shopping malls which will amaze and delight you.

But beyond all that, this is a city of millions of friendly people who love to meet people from around the world. They believe if the 2008 Olympics is held in Beijing, it will help to enhance the harmony between our culture and diverse cultures of the world. And gurantee their gratitude will pour out in open expressions of affection for you and the great Movement that you guide.
Within our cultural programs, education and communication will receive the highest priority. We seek to create an intellectual and sporting legacy by broadening the understanding of the Olympic Ideals throughout the country.

Cultural events will unfold each year, from 2005 to 2008. We will stage multi-disciplined cultural programs,indluding concerts, exhibitions, art competitions and camps which will involve young people from around the world. During the Olympics, these activites will also be held in the Olympic Village and in the city for the benefit of the athletes.
[315 words]

[Time 6]
Our Ceremonies will give China's greatest-and the world's greatest artists a chance to celebrate the common aspiration of humanity and unique heritage of chinese culture and that of the Olympic Movement.

With a concept inspired by the famed Silk Road, our Torch Relay will break new ground, traveling from Olympia through some of the oldest civilizations known to man-Greek, Roman, Egyptian, Byzantine, Mesopotamian, Persian, Arabian, Indian and Chinese. Carrying the message "Share the Peace, Share the Olympics," the eternal flame will reach new heights as it crosses the Himalayas over the world's highest summit - Mount Qomolangma, which is known to many of you as Mt. Everest. In China, the torch will pass through Tibet, cross Yangtze and Yellow Rivers, travel the Great Wall and visit Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan and 56 ethnic communities who make up all our society. On its journey, the flame will be seen by and inspire more human beings than any previous relay.

I am afraid I can not give you the full picture of our cultural programs within such a short period of time. Before I end, let me share with you one story. Seven hundred years ago, amazed by his incredible description of a far away land of great beauty, people asked Marco Polo whether his stories about China were true. And Marco answered: What I have told you was not even half of what I saw. Actually, what we have shown you here today is only a fraction of the Beijing that awaits you.

Ladies and Gentlemen,I believe Beijing will prove to be a land of wonders to all of you, to athletes, spectators, and world-wide television audience alike. Come and join us. Thank you, Mr president. Thank you all. Now I'd like to give the floor back to Mr. He.
[301 words]

Source: Youku
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMzI3OTc4OTQ4.html

看完热血沸腾有木有,请跟我一起唱:
"五星红旗,迎风飘扬,胜利歌声多么嘹亮,

这是我们亲爱的祖国,从今走向繁荣富强!!!"

Part III: Obstacle

Article 4

Haunting lesson of Nazi Olympics

By LZ Granderson, CNN Contributor

August 9, 2013 -- Updated 1302 GMT (2102 HKT)

[Time 7]
(CNN) -- Usually when we talk about the 1936 Olympics in Berlin we focus on two men -- Adolf Hitler and Jesse Owens -- and rightfully so. They are the two with an undeniable impact on history, albeit in vastly different ways.

But in light of President Barack Obama's recent remarks on "The Tonight Show" denouncing Russia's new anti-gay laws, laws that have led to bloodshed in the streets, it is important that we remember Marty Glickman and Sam Stoller.

They too were at those games. They too left a mark.You see, the day before they were scheduled to run in the 400-meter relay, their coach, Dean Cromwell, replaced them. They were not injured. They did not break any team rules nor were they disqualified for any violations. They were, however, Jewish, and this was Nazi Germany, which had adopted the Nuremberg laws limiting Jewish citizens' rights a year earlier. Apparently, Cromwell, along with leaders from the U.S. Olympic Committee, decided it would be best if Glickman and Stoller did not compete. At the time I'm sure it seemed like a decision that would only hurt the two men. After all, the 400, led by Owens, still won gold.

Today we know better.

Today we look at that decision and lower our heads in shame, understanding that it made us complicit with something that evolved into a far worse crime than unjustly replacing a pair of sprinters. In the moment when we should have spoken up, we remained silent.

And so here we are again: an Olympics on the horizon, another host country with recently legislated laws persecuting a group of people, and for a while, we were silent. And then Tuesday happened.

"I've been very clear that when it comes to universal rights, when it comes to people's basic freedoms, that whether you are discriminating on the basis of race, religion, gender or sexual orientation, you are violating the basic morality that I think should transcend every country," Obama said, going on to talk about how Russia's treatment of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people goes against the spirit of the Olympics.

He did not call for a boycott.

But on Wednesday he canceled a one-on-one meeting with Russian President Vladimir Putin planned for September. The White House cited Russia's decision to grant asylum to National Security Agency leaker Edward Snowden and "lack of progress on issues such as missile defense and arms control" among other reasons. But it also mentioned human rights issues.

Recently, U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry received a letter from 88 members of Congress -- Republicans and Democrats -- urging him to do something to guarantee the safety of LGBT Americans visiting Russia during that time. That leaves 447 lawmakers we should be asking why they did not sign that letter.

Last month Buzzfeed provided the world photos of LGBT people being violently beaten by anti-gay protesters and police in Russia.

There are reports of LGBT teens being kidnapped, bullied, tortured and killed.
Russian officials have said they don't condone the attacks, but police have stood by while they happened and then arrested the battered victims for being gay. And because it is unclear whether or not the anti-gay laws will be enforced during the Olympics, the safety of all Americans -- because you can be arrested if police think you look gay or even if you support gays -- is in question.

Which brings me to: Why aren't the names of all 535 members of Congress on that letter?
In talking about the 1936 Olympics, I do not equate what is happening in Russia to what happened to Jewish people during World War II. I just want to remind you that the Holocaust did not happen overnight. It was subtle.

Surgical.
In silence.

These new anti-gay laws are disturbingly similar to the anti-Semitic Nuremberg laws Hitler passed before the 1936 Olympics. And with the Pew Institute finding 84% of Russians believe society should reject gay people, perhaps some saying they object to gays for fear of arrest, the world should question how far Russia intends to go.

We should question how far Russia, our lukewarm ally, intends to go and what our participation in the 2014 Olympic Games will look like generations from now.

In one of his final interviews before passing away in 2001, Glickman told the San Diego Jewish Press-Heritage that there had been some talk of boycotting the 1936 Olympics because of Hitler, but no one foresaw what would happen to the Jews a short time later.

"There is no way in the world that I would think of going to Nazi Germany," he said. "The Holocaust and those things around Nazi Germany which we all loathe weren't in existence in 1936."

No one can predict the future. But this week Obama showed he learned an important lesson from our Olympic past -- offering silence to appease evil is a senseless endeavor because evil will never be satisfied. Now it's our turn to speak up. There are 447 members of Congress who have yet to sign that letter to Kerry -- we need to be asking why.
[856 Words]

Source: CNN
http://edition.cnn.com/2013/08/07/opinion/granderson-anti-gay-russian-olympics

本帖子中包含更多资源

您需要 登录 才可以下载或查看,没有帐号?立即注册

x
收藏收藏 收藏收藏
沙发
发表于 2013-9-8 15:26:12 | 只看该作者
1:07
Istanbul, Tokyo and Madrid are biding for the host of 2020 olympics.
Although Istanbul has suffered from political protests this summer,it still try to highlight Turkey's economy and long history to win this competition.And this is the fifth time that Istanbul bid for olympics in the past 20 years

01:22
The representive of Tokyo insisted that Tokyo is still a safe place even after the earthquake happended in the Fukushima nuclear plant.At the same time,he claimed that Japanese athlete had no illegal drug record in the past two years and that Tokyo will have enough money to build new sports venues
Spain's bid emphasised that t80% of sports venues have been already built in Madrid.No rik will happen in the future,affecting the olymoics.But spainishes are embarrased with their illegal drug taking.

01:10
M L thought that the result of this bid is still unknow,because every candidate has chance to show their issues.
An extra sports for the 2020 Olympics will be decided after the bid ends.
J R will retire after this meeting.The new president will face a more difficult situation.

01:40
China has a long history of sports.One good example is Cuju,a sports thought to be the ancestors of mordern football.Beijing has many cultural and historical scenes to visit.Friendly people in Beijing are waiting for the customer from the world.Beijing will hold differnernt kind of global cultural events between 2005 and 2008,making preparation for the Olympics.

01:13
The ceremony will be great.The torch relay will break the record.The all things I talked about before can even not reach to the half of what will happen.

05:45
Obama made a analogy between the event that Jewish were banned to attend the Olympics by Hitler in 1936 Olymics and what is happening now ing Russia.
Russia pass a law to prevent LGBT people from attending the Olympics,showing discrimination on LGBT people.A recent news shows that LGBT people in Russia are violently beaten by police.This event lead to the outcome that 88 members of the Congress signed a letter to the president Obama,asking him to do something to guarantee the safety of LGBT people who will go to Russia for the 2014 Olympics.
Obama thinks that these events in Russia are similar to the NAZI Germany to some extent.
越障 后面部分都不知道怎么概括 ORZ
板凳
发表于 2013-9-8 15:52:04 | 只看该作者
p.s.今天的RC主题很好~跟进实事。Thx
T2 1’02’’
T3 1’40’’
The presentations of the four countries to bid for the host for Olympics Games
T4 1’14’’
Changes made by the IOC
T5 1’12’’
T6 1’16’’
“What I told you was not even half of what I saw”  So proud of my country!!!!!
Obstacle 5’07’’

楼上和楼下的筒子好认真啊~
地板
发表于 2013-9-8 16:22:05 | 只看该作者
谢谢神菜小朋友~~~~
Speed:
1.1'23''  At a meeting of IOC, Istanbul, Madrid and Tokyo bid to be hosts of the Olympic Games in 2020. IOC members will decide not only the host but also the a new IOC president and which sport will be added to the programme in 2020. Firstly, Istanbul revealt its representation, highlighting its ambition and strength to hold the Olympic.
2.1'42'' Tokyo was the second to show its representation. As to concerns about unsafety from Fukushima nuclear plant, the minister Abe insisted that Tokyo would be a safe place.
            As to the scandal of doping, the minister of Spain clarified his position and was committed to fight against doping. He also emphasized the progress of contruction for the Olympic.
3.1'24''  All the bid teams were forced onto the defensive and there is a lot to play for.
             There are still many issues obsessing the IOC.
4.1'36''  Yang Lan, on behalf of China, delivered a speech to compete for the host of the Olympic in 2008. Firstly, she highlighted unique Chinese sports culture, wonderful events waiting for tourists and friendly people. Moreover, she also pointed out that China will continue to hold cultural and meaningful events.
5.1'38''  Yang Lan described a potential traveling passage of Torch, which was so long and wide that would break new ground. At last, she cited a famous saying from Marco Polo to prove that what she had shown today was only a fraction of the Beijing that awaited the world.
Obstacle:
5'20''  The author drew an analogy between the 1936 Olympic games in Berlin and recent incidence in Russia. During these two events, relevant countries both issued a new policy to anti a group of people. Recalling the past events in 1936, people know it better nowadays.
        As to the law against gays issued by Putin, President Obama rejected it and cancelled his meeting with Putin. So we can conclude that the American hold a negative attitude towards the Russian law.
        No one can predict the future. From the lesson in 1936, the USA refused to keep silent and decided to take some steps to speak up.
5#
发表于 2013-9-8 16:29:54 | 只看该作者
占楼!!!晚上交作业了!

--------------------------------我是忏悔分割线-----------------------------------------------------------------
昨晚上查学校资料查完了居然忘记交作业了。。。。。悔悔悔!!!
立马把作业呈上= =、

PS:暑假每次坐地特上班的时候我也听这个podcast!!!
现在小分队加入听力部分真心点赞!!!

24-13
time2:2'04/208
    Istanbul, Tokyo and Madrid addressed their presentation on Saturday for bidding the host of Olympics in 2020
    on Sunday IOC made some dicision about the competition progam
    Turkish made a lot effort to win the bid
time3:2'23/302
    Janpn's presentation  insisted Tokyo is a safe place with no nuclear pollution as people concerned.
    Spain's bid revealed its full-completed preparation for the Olympics and they have sharpened the law to provide a clean sport.
time4:2'01/243
    the following two days is very important to make the decision
    IOC presentation JR will step down and new presentation will replace him on the same day
time5:2'07/315
    Beijing has a long histroy of sports
    there are a lot of exciting events in Beijing
    Chinese people are very eager to meet people aroung world
    many culture events will unfold in Beijing each year
time6:2'19/301
    the flame will travel a long way by the Silk Road, inspiring mor human beings than ever
    the descripition of Beijing is juast a fraction of all
    Beijing will be a wonder to all
obstacle:7'15/856
    main idea: discrimination in Olympics
    attitude: positive
    structurence Olympics rejected two men because of their nationality
              today we feel sorry for the decision
              Obama criticized Russia's anti-gay laws and refused to meet Russian officials
              we should think more about Olympics spirit

6#
发表于 2013-9-8 17:18:41 | 只看该作者

7#
发表于 2013-9-8 17:27:26 | 只看该作者
Time2 – 1’50’
Istanbul, Tokyo and Madrid are the contenders to host the 2020 Olympic Game. Istanbul’s campaign had suffered a setback from political protests and some other scandals.
Time3 – 2’18’
Japanese insisted that Tokyo is a safe place for Olympics.
Time4 – 1’53’
The last two days of presentation are very important, because there is still a lot to play for.
Time5 ,6– Yang lan’s speech =。=
Obstacle
Obama thought when we recall the 1936 Olympic in Berlin, we now understand that when we keep silent in face of injustice imposed to the Jewish, the evil grow to be a worse crime
And it is exactly what the anti-gay law in Russia is, a law that violate human rights and goes against the spirit of the Olympics
Recently, USSS received a letter from 88 members of Congress urging to do something to protect the LGBT, however what Obama wondered is that why the others did not sign the letter.
Obama ask for his people to speak up, because silence is the breeding ground for the evil.
8#
发表于 2013-9-8 17:47:47 | 只看该作者
惊现神菜小萌物

Speaker:
The two roommates have different preference over cleanness. The messy one who doesn't care about personal hygiene is supposed to bring up lots of issues for the cleaner one, but actually the two roommates have a system to solve these issues and the it works pretty well.

支持一下神菜==*
拜托版主君不要删我的首页贴~
9#
发表于 2013-9-8 17:48:08 | 只看该作者
终于等到!!!谢谢你菜菜!
--
TIME2 1'28
- some changes in Olympics and countries are presenting bids.
- how Turkey(I) bid for initiatives.
TIME3 1'48
- pros and cons for hosting bidding of Tokyo and Maraid.
TIME4 1'36
- still a lot for bidder to do.
- there are a large sum of issues waiting for solution in IOC.
TIME5 1'51
Reasons why BJ should take host for Olympics:
- extensive and profound history in sports.
- friendly people and endless programs for visitors and athletes.
- high prority of education and communication.
TIME6 1'31
Share aspirations and culture in CHINA.
- profound history,eg Silk Road, will kindle humans' aspirations.
- a story calling that there are much more wonderful legends in CHINA if we can host O.
10#
发表于 2013-9-8 17:55:21 | 只看该作者
1”35
Three cities competed to host 2020 Olympic: Istanbul, Tokyo, and Mardrid
Background and presentation of Istanbul

2”20
Japan: Tokyo has record-level funding and plans to build many facilities for Olympic. No Japanese athletes have failed the drug test.
Spain: some athletes failed the drug test before, but now the law is sharpen.

1”57
Three countries have some issues within the countries.
Some games will be added to 2020 Olympic
Incumbent IOC president will step down, and new IOC president will be chosen at the same day.

2”10
Cuju is the origin of today’s football.
Beijing is a fascinated city with lots of historical attractions and modern entertainments.
Beijing’s people are friendly and desired to meet people from all over the world.
Beijing’s education and communication are good.
Many culture events are available for the youth.

2”13
The opening ceremony will be wonderful
The cities and nature attractions that the torch will go through
Refer to Marco’s book: Beijing is amazing

7”28
The nature of Russia’s anti-gay issue is the same with that of Nazi German’s Jewish issue.
Example of Nazi German discriminate Jewish
Majority of Russians dislike gay people. Russia has an anti-gay bill. Kerry was requested to sign a letter aimed at protecting LGBT American in Russia, but Kerry didn’t.
We need to speak up to protect our rights. It’s shame to remain silent.
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-4-26 01:17
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部