搜索
返回列表 发新帖
查看: 11160|回复: 71

[阅读小分队] 【每日阅读训练第四期——速度越障22系列】【22-06】文史哲

[复制链接]
发表于 2013-7-21 21:25:13 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
Hi~ 队友们,周日的文史哲来咯~
本来想搞个feminism专题,结果找了半天也没有找到... 希望下次可以推出来,如果大家有什么好的topic或source的建议都可以随时告诉我哈~~~

今天的速度1/2/3-4/5共四篇文章,其中第二篇的逻辑结构很好,个人感觉一些科技文差不多也是这种逻辑构架;第三篇文章我个人觉得像是一个屌丝长期被“压迫”后的吐槽,给大家娱乐一下哈;最后一篇速度是一个影评,相对前几篇有点难。整体难度适中,希望大家enjoy~

最后自己再打个小广告~
上周四战G,结果还是不理想,不过现在暂时不准备再战了,想先弄弄申请什么的,想和有同样在准备申请的队友们交流交流(自己完全是申请小白一只...),我的QQ号就在我的CD账号里哈~  另外,Jay目前打算申酒店管理专业,有战友或者是学长学姐请一定留个爪,非常感谢!!!

不废话了,上作业!!!

Part 1 Speed

Article 1(Check the title later)
Do Scientists Pray? Einstein Answers a Little Girl’s Question about Science vs. Religion

by Maria Popova

[TIME1]
Whether in their inadvertently brilliant reflections on gender politics or in their seemingly simple but profound questions about how the world works, kids have a singular way of stripping the most complex of cultural phenomena down to their bare essence, forcing us to reexamine our layers of assumptions. Take, for instance, the age-old tension between science and religion, which has occupied the minds of luminaries from Galileo to Carl Sagan, as well as some of today’s most renowned scientific minds. The enormous cultural baggage of the question didn’t stop a little girl from New York named Phyllis from posing it to none other than the great Albert Einstein in a 1936 letter found in Dear Professor Einstein: Albert Einstein’s Letters to and from Children (public library) — the same delightful collection that gave us Einstein’s encouraging words to women in science.

The Riverside Church

January 19, 1936

My dear Dr. Einstein,

We have brought up the question: Do scientists pray? in our Sunday school class. It began by asking whether we could believe in both science and religion. We are writing to scientists and other important men, to try and have our own question answered.

We will feel greatly honored if you will answer our question: Do scientists pray, and what do they pray for?

We are in the sixth grade, Miss Ellis’s class.

Respectfully yours,

Phyllis

Only five days later, Einstein wrote back — isn’t it lovely when cultural giants respond to children’s sincere curiosity? — and his answer speaks to the same spiritual quality of science that Carl Sagan extolled decades later and Ptolemy did millennia earlier. Six years prior, Einstein had explored that very subject, in far more complicated language and mind-bending rhetoric, in his legendary conversation with the Indian philosopher Tagore.

January 24, 1936

Dear Phyllis,

I will attempt to reply to your question as simply as I can. Here is my answer:

Scientists believe that every occurrence, including the affairs of human beings, is due to the laws of nature. Therefore a scientist cannot be inclined to believe that the course of events can be influenced by prayer, that is, by a supernaturally manifested wish.

However, we must concede that our actual knowledge of these forces is imperfect, so that in the end the belief in the existence of a final, ultimate spirit rests on a kind of faith. Such belief remains widespread even with the current achievements in science.

But also, everyone who is seriously involved in the pursuit of science becomes convinced that some spirit is manifest in the laws of the universe, one that is vastly superior to that of man. In this way the pursuit of science leads to a religious feeling of a special sort, which is surely quite different from the religiosity of someone more naive.

With cordial greetings,

your A. Einstein

[words: 470]
Source: Brainpickings
http://www.brainpickings.org/index.php/2013/07/11/do-scientists-pray-einstein-letter-science-religion/

Article 2(Check the title later)
Study: When Talking to Kids About Obesity, Focus on Foods, Not Body Shapes

LINDSAY ABRAMSJUN 25 2013, 9:51 AM ET

[TIME2]
PROBLEM: Over a third of U.S. children are overweight or obese, the latter of which the American Medical Association now says is a disease. Meanwhile, anorexia is considered "the third most common chronic illness among adolescents." Given all that, to say that "parents may wonder whether talking with their adolescent child about eating habits and weight is useful or detrimental" is probably understatement.

METHODOLOGY: Researchers at the University of Minnesota drew data from two surveys, one which looked at eating behavior in adolescents and another which evaluated aspects of their family environment that might contribute to this behavior. In all, they received responses from 2,793 public school students with an average age of 14, and from 3,709 parents and caregivers.

RESULTS: Dieting was most common in adolescents whose parents talked with them about their weight. This could be anything from just "having a conversation" about their size to mentioning that they should eat differently or exercise in order to lose or keep from gaining weight. However, disordered eating -- defined as taking unhealthy measures to control their weight (fasting, laxatives and diet pills, throwing up, etc) or binge eating -- was also highest among those same children.

Among adolescents who weren't overweight, for example, 35.3 percent of those whose mothers talked about weight were on a diet, as compared to 22.6 percent of those whose mothers emphasized healthy eating. "Extreme" unhealthy eating behaviors occurred in 5.9 percent of the former and only 1.6 percent of the latter.

Focusing on healthy eating had the opposite effect: dieting, but also disordered eating,     occurred in about 40 percent of overweight adolescents whose mothers talked about healthy eating, in 53 percent of those whose mothers did not, and in 64 percent of those whose mothers only talked about their weight.

The associations were similar for conversations initiated by fathers. Having just one parent talk about either weight or healthful eating was enough to affect the adolescents' odds of developing eating problems.

IMPLICATIONS: The vast majority of eating disorders first begin in adolescence, and kids appear vulnerable to any mention of their weight by their parents, even when it's (presumably) supportive in nature. Of course dieting, when done right, is a desirable outcomes in kids who are overweight, but that equal percentages of overweight children were dieting and engaging in unhealthy weight loss behaviors might mean that emphasizing weight isn't the best way to get them to change their habits. Meanwhile, emphasizing healthful eating appears to positively impact adolescents' behavior, so far as it's associated with a lower prevalence of eating disorders. It would seem that what we need to know next is whether that's enough to help them maintain a healthy body weight.
[words: 449]
Source: The Atlantic
http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2013/06/study-when-talking-to-kids-about-obesity-focus-on-foods-not-body-shapes/277173/

Article 3(Check the title later)
Why BMW Drivers Are Jerks to Cyclists
I have four theories.

By David Plotz|Posted Thursday, July 18, 2013, at 5:16 PM

[TIME3]
I was nearly sideswiped by a BMW on my bike ride home from work today, which was not surprising, because BMWs are always nearly sideswiping me. I ride in the right half of the right lane, and virtually every car behind me slides over to the left lane, passing with 6 comfortable feet of berth. But every month or so, a driver doesn’t change lanes, rides up on my shoulder, and squeezes by with just a few inches to spare, prompting me to squeal in terror and rage.

After several years of close calls, I began keeping mental track of who, exactly, was threatening my safety. During the time I paid attention, fully half of my dangerous encounters—about 10 of 20, if I remember—were with BMWs. There were two or three Mercedes, and no other make was a repeat offender. In other words, the BMW, a car that has less than 2 percent market share in the United States, was responsible for 50 percent of the menacing. To put it another way: Terrifying research concludes that BMW owners are far more likely than typical drivers to endanger cyclists on the road.

Am I a jerk cyclist? I don’t think so. I do bike on busy streets during rush hour and take my God- and law-given share of the road. But the issue here isn’t whether I’m a road hog. The question is why non-BMW drivers find it so much easier to avoid cyclists than BMW drivers. Everyone is late. Everyone is stuck in traffic. Why is it that only those with BMWs do the bullying?

I’m sure most BMW drivers are kind souls, always stopping to put baby birds back in their nests. My beloved brother drives a BMW, safely and gently. And the overwhelming majority of BMW drivers on my commute pass me with a safe cushion. But of the small minority of motorists willing to endanger my cycling life, a shocking number bear that blue-and-white emblem.
[words: 330]

[TIME4]
I am not the first person to make a claim about the character of BMW drivers. The first Google result for “BMW drivers” is a Facebook page called “I HATE BMW DRIVERS.” Any BMW driver research will direct you to the discussion board “Are BMW drivers assholes?” Next stop: The listings on MyRoadRage.com, which suggest the BMW is the No. 1 source of other’s road rage (at least in Britain). Finally, there’s the epic tale of the Beverly Hills BMW driver recently caught on camera intentionally ramming a cyclist into a trash bin.

Why? What explains the fact that drivers of this particular kind of car are so dangerous to cyclists? I have four theories.

1. BMWs are luxury cars, and most BMW drivers are wealthy. There’s widespread evidence that wealthy people feel entitled—to their good fortune, to their privilege, and probably to their speedy commute. (See this study suggesting that people who drive fancier cars break more traffic rules.) My bike disrupts that entitlement by slowing the rich man’s forward progress. In fact, he is not aggrieving me—I am aggrieving him.

2. “The Ultimate Driving Machine” is a car lover’s car. BMW owners believe roads belong to cars and bikes shouldn’t mess them up. Bikes destroy the joyful, fundamentally American right to drive fast everywhere, and deserve no quarter.

3. BMW drivers are better drivers. They bought a BMW because they care about driving well. They spend weekends at BMW Performance Driving School. They own a car that steers like champagne. They have close shaves because, superb drivers that they are, they know they can squeeze by me with 4 inches to spare. (Compelling evidence in favor of this theory: I’ve been hit on my bike three times, but never by a BMW.) This is the story that all BMW drivers tell themselves.

4. BMW drivers are assholes.
[words: 311]
Source: Slate
http://www.slate.com/articles/life/a_fine_whine/2013/07/bmw_drivers_and_cyclists_the_war_between_the_luxury_cars_and_bicycles.html

Article 4(Check the title later)
An American tragedy

Jul 20th 2013 |From the print edition

[TIME5]
“FRUITVALE STATION” depicts the final 24 hours in the life of Oscar Grant, a 22-year-old black man who was shot in the back by a policeman in the San Francisco Bay area on New Year’s Day in 2009. Written and directed by Ryan Coogler, a young film-maker from Oakland, Grant’s home town, this poignant debut film won the top prize at this year’s Sundance Film Festival. Its release in select American cinemas is timely, coming a day before the trial over the shooting of Trayvon Martin, another unarmed black youth, reached its controversial verdict: the acquittal of his armed assailant.

Oscar Grant’s death was captured on the mobile phones of outraged bystanders. Mr Coogler’s film opens with one of these harrowing amateur videos, which shows him lying face down before he was shot. Flash back 24 hours earlier to Oscar (Michael B. Jordan) being kicked out of bed by his girlfriend Sophina (Melonie Diaz) for an infidelity he swears is behind him. Their daughter is the heart of their shaky relationship. It is New Year’s Eve, and Oscar spends the day preparing for the birthday of his mother (played by Octavia Spencer, an Academy Award-winning actress who also helped produce the film). Then he and his girlfriend will go into San Francisco with friends to see the fireworks. Oscar’s mother suggests they take the Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART).

“Fruitvale Station” makes it plain that for young, black men in America, racial profiling can be deadly. But the reason to make a film that begins and ends with the hero’s death is to look at his life sub specie aeternitatis—from the perspective of eternity. Mr Coogler shot this film where it all happened, including the fatal transit stop. Trains passing in the distance are fraught with destiny. Seemingly trivial events of Oscar’s day—like his mother’s sensible advice to take the train—are stalked by tragic irony. A pit bull hit by a car is left to die.

This makes Oscar’s last hours with his family especially vivid. It also darkens the carnival mood in the city and on the train back to Oakland. Mr Jordan brings Oscar to life as a reformed rogue with a short fuse and a big heart, struggling to extricate himself from the mistakes of his past. After the grim final act, “Fruitvale Station” closes with documentary footage of a memorial rally for its hero—a moment made more powerful for the way this film travels to places where documentaries cannot go.
[words: 420]
Source: ECO中文网
http://www.ecocn.org/thread-193981-1-1.html

Part 2 Obstacle

Article 5(Check the title later)
BEFORE AIR-CONDITIONING

POSTED BY JOSHUA ROTHMAN JULY 20, 2013

[TIME6]
For much of this week, New York, along with the eastern half of the U.S., has been caught up in an unstoppable heat wave. At times like this, it’s hard not to imagine the worst-case scenario. What if, in an apocalyptic turn of events, the world’s air-conditioners just stopped working? What would we do then?

The New Yorker’s archive offers a window into the pre-air-conditioning world. It was, it turns out, wholly survivable; it may even have had good qualities. In a Comment on July 1, 1961, Niccolo Tucci explained how, without air-conditioning, your open windows let you snoop on your neighbors, who, “apparently unaware of the change in the season, go on fighting their private winterfights. You come in at the end of the first set, but you can reconstruct what went on day after day under cover of snow”—the same way that, nowadays, you can start with season two on Netflix. In “Before Air-Conditioning,” from June 11, 2011, the poet Frederick Seidel pointed out another benefit of throwing the windows open: “It’s the smell of laundry on the line, / And the smell of the sea, brisk iodine.”

Air-conditioning has reversed the polarity of summer: it has us fleeing inside during hot weather, while we used to flee outside, which might have been more fun, and was certainly more social. Arthur Miller’s “Before Air-Conditioning,” from June 22, 1998—probably the definitive New Yorker essay on this subject—describes the way New Yorkers would flock together out-of-doors. During his childhood, Miller writes, in the twenties, “There were still elevated trains … along Second, Third, Sixth, and Ninth Avenues, and many of the cars were wooden, with windows that opened. … Desperate people, unable to endure their apartments, would simply pay a nickel and ride around aimlessly for a couple of hours to cool off.” At night, Central Park was full of “hundreds of people, singles and families, who slept on the grass, next to their big alarm clocks, which set up a mild cacophony of the seconds passing, one clock’s ticks syncopating with another’s. Babies cried in the darkness, men’s deep voices murmured, and a woman let out an occasional high laugh beside the lake.” It was still hot in the park, and it was crowded, but the openness of the space made the heat easier to bear. In “Summer Night,” from September 7, 1935, Morris Markey explained one reason the Park felt cooler: “the lighted towers which rim the Park seemed to thrust their peaks into cool atmospheres.”

The advent and spread of air-conditioning, meanwhile, put into relief the habits of the pre-air-conditioning era. In a Comment from July 4, 1959, A. J. Liebling lamented how “the dodges for coping with the heat that New Yorkers learned in three centuries of summer have become superfluous, and in some cases hazardous. The long drink is an irrelevancy; if you arrive in a bar, after a few steps in the street, longing for a Tom Collins, half a minute of the temperature inside influences you to change to a hot toddy. Cold foods lose their charm as quickly; at the first blast of frozen air, the customer decides to stick to steak.” Liebling, like many people, was struck by the perversity of air-conditioning, which ensures that your winning summer outfit is also “a ringside ticket to the pneumonia ward.” New York buildings, he complained, were now “twenty degrees colder in summer than in winter, when they are adapted to the needs of a woman who is going to shed a mink coat the moment she gets inside, and is wearing nothing much underneath it.” In a Comment on June 30, 1962, Donald Malcolm even went so far as to argue that we’re using air-conditioners backwards. “They are, in summer, a mistake,” he wrote. “The correct time to reach for the switch is at the very end of winter. Then the occupants of innumerable apartments and office buldings, weary and befuddled after a long season of overheated quarters, might find relief in the cooling gusts of the machine. At the same time, the simultaneous operation of all the city’s air-conditioners would unquestionably raise the outside temperature by some degrees, hastening the coming of spring, the budding of trees, the blooming of tulips.”

Earlier this summer, Matt Buchanan wrote about the invention and eventual perfection of air-conditioning technology; nowadays, air-conditioners are cheap and pervasive. And yet there are still summer days like these—days when it’s so hot that the heat is almost all you can think about. “It’s just too hot right now to do much of anything,” Susan Orlean writes, in “Hot Flashes,” from August 7, 1995—“so what should you do?” You can try to talk about the heat, or about heat-related questions (“What are the health risks in eating nonfat frozen yogurt for more than two of your three daily meals?”). Or, failing that, you can give in to what Orleans calls “heat-induced dumbness.” “This is a good moment to visit with friends who are smarter than you,” she suggests, “because the heat makes everyone stupid.”
[words: 849]
Source: Newyorker
http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/culture/2013/07/before-air-conditioning.html#entry-more

本帖子中包含更多资源

您需要 登录 才可以下载或查看,没有帐号?立即注册

x
发表于 2013-7-21 21:26:48 | 显示全部楼层
看到第二个图我就饿了。。。

谢谢Jay,祝申请顺利啦~~有相同方向的赶快联系Jay同学。。。

发表于 2013-7-21 21:27:29 | 显示全部楼层
DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
发表于 2013-7-21 21:31:42 | 显示全部楼层
耶,没错又是我!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
22-06
1 470 2min30
Einstein wrote a letter to response children’scuriosity. The scientists shouldn’t believe the course of events can beinfluenced by prey. Since our acknowledge is not perfect, they still prey asnormal people do, just in different way.
2 449 2min30
Bring up the question-choose sample-results-analysis
Cover great distance in small steps.
3 330 1min42
4 311 1min20
HAHAHA, funny story. BMW drivers areassholes. Thanks Jay.
说点题外话,我在学驾照的时候,记得有一条是,如果骑自行车的话是要在相反的方向骑的,这样保证你能看到车子从你的面前过来而不是背后过来,刚开始我觉得有点怪,但是想想还是有道理的,在路上我碰到有人走路或者骑车,我只会减速减速,有多远躲多远啊,我等屌丝是不能够承受出事故的风险的,BMW里的有钱人也许不在乎吧~
5 420 3min
The movie’s effects-who made the movie andwhat is in it-the actor’s feeling.
Obstacle 849 5min08
管理,帖子里面有裸男!!
It’s so f..king hot recently. Thanks to theA/C, we can hide out from hot air. What if the A/C stop working? I guess I willjust find a gun to shoot myself. The essay concentrates on the A/C usage hasstarted since early 60s. We have been overusing it. And this stopped us fromcolorful social life. Just call me stupid, I seriously do not want to gooutside in this weather.
发表于 2013-7-21 21:36:12 | 显示全部楼层
小鱼上树 发表于 2013-7-21 21:31
耶,没错又是我!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

高处不胜寒

发表于 2013-7-21 21:41:51 | 显示全部楼层
首页〜〜楼主辛苦!
发表于 2013-7-21 21:50:21 | 显示全部楼层
【time1, 2:47】science VS religion; letter between a little girl and Einstien;
【time2, 3:11】Having just one parent talk about either weight or healthful eating was enough to affect the adolescents' odds of developing eating problems.
【time3, 2:04】some BMW drivers are a big threat to cyclists.
【time4,1:27】four reasons why BMW drivers are assholes;
【time5,2:24】the introdution and production of a film.
【obstacle,5:04】the use of air conditioner in hot summer is controversial;
讲BMW的那篇文章是屌丝写的么,怎么有这么浓重的仇富心理
发表于 2013-7-21 21:51:27 | 显示全部楼层
kimwang53 发表于 2013-7-21 21:26
看到第二个图我就饿了。。。

谢谢Jay,祝申请顺利啦~~有相同方向的赶快联系Jay同学。。。 ...

啥方向啊
发表于 2013-7-21 21:55:41 | 显示全部楼层
2:34
3:15
2:00
1:40
3:15
6:01
发表于 2013-7-21 21:56:51 | 显示全部楼层
1.1''45

2.3''40

3.2''23

4.2''21

5.3''23

6.5''18
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-3-28 16:51
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部