ChaseDream
搜索
返回列表 发新帖
楼主: yiqing2012

compared to/with的逻辑主语问题

[复制链接]
 楼主| 发表于 2012-11-23 12:03:20 | 显示全部楼层
经常碰到的就两种用法:
1.对于compared with直接跟在逗号后面可以修饰逗号前面名词短语的核心词:In the United States, while the number of foreign-born residents and their children is higher than ever, the percentage of the population they represent is not; in 1910 this group made up 35 percent of the population, compared with 20 percent in 2000;
2.当然,Compared with也可以修饰前面整个分句,compared with后面的名词与主语比较:Today, more than 43 percent of Californians under the age of eighteen are Hispanic, compared with about 35 percent a decade ago.

在我看来根本就没逻辑主语的问题,只有比较对象是否合理的问题,人家其实就是一个比较词罢了,总结一下:
1.当主语比较时:A do/be sth, compared with B (+状语)
A和B应该是对等的名词or代词,通常为百分比/倍数,
2.当宾语比较时:(也就是就近修饰逗号前名词):A do C1, compared with C2
C1C2为比较对象,要求与前面的rule一致,其实就是可比且对等
3.也曾有过as compared to/with的使用,其中as指代前句核心含义,要求to/with后的比较对象要对等

到底是比较谁,怎么比具体的都是看题,没有定数,只能靠逻辑语义
-- by 会员 sisichen666 (2012/11/22 22:36:49)

sisi,这个问题是我考试之前问的~~结果一直没人回答,伤心了好一阵子呢。。。

关于compared with,它在句末我没有疑问,因为可以比较任意位置的数字,而且根据你2中的解释,根据语义也可以比较宾语。但是我记得当时提这个问题的时候题目是:Compared with A...,B do....(原句实在是找不到了),这里的compared with是不是应该和其它Ved...,A do..中的ved一样,逻辑主语是B啊?
-- by 会员 yiqing2012 (2012/11/22 23:21:12)

我觉得可以与其他VED 一样。
补充
if you have a sentence that says "compared to/with" (or similar constructions, including "in comparison to", "as compared to/with", etc.), then the sentence CANNOT also use a comparison word, such as more, less, greater, prefer, better, worse, X times as much, etc.

to use "compared to/with", you just STATE statistics, without using any other comparison word.

examples:
this year's unemployment rate of 12% is three times as great compared to the rate in 1994 --> incorrect (redundant)

the correct way to write it:
this year's unemployment rate is 12%, compared to 4% in 1994
i.e., you just come out and SAY the statistics, and then give "compared to".

"Compare to" Vs "Compare with":

"Compare to" is to suggest resemblances between things that have essentially DIFFERENT natures.

"Compare with" is to suggest resemblances between things that have essentially SIMILAR natures.

Examples:
In appearance, ripples in ocean water can be compared to frosting spread on a cake. -- Both sides of the comparison are totally different.
Despite their different capacities, RAM can be compared with ROM in that both involve memory storage. -- Both sides of the comparison belong to a similar category
-- by 会员 abjure (2012/11/23 0:25:05)

受益匪浅~ thks a lot~
发表于 2012-11-23 19:31:42 | 显示全部楼层
Welcome.  Learn each other.

To my honest,

I can't find any  "compared to"   appear on the beginning of sentence.

But I find out the Correct useage "In contrast to" and "in contrast with" OG 12-20
 楼主| 发表于 2012-11-23 19:49:53 | 显示全部楼层

To my honest,

But I find out the Correct useage "In contrast to" and "in contrast with" OG 12-20
-- by 会员 abjure (2012/11/23 19:31:42)

找到题目了~
In contrast to ongoing trade imbalances with China and Japan, the United States trade deficit with Mexico declined by $500 million as a result of record exports to that country.

A)In contrast to ongoing trade imbalances with China and Japan, the United States trade deficit with Mexico declined by $500 million as a result of record exports to that country.
B)In contrast to ongoing trade imbalances with China and Japan, the United States sold record exports to Mexico, reducing its trade deficit by $500 million.
C) When compared with ongoing trade imbalances with China and Japan, the United States sold record exports to Mexico, reducing their trade deficit by $500 million.
D) Compared with ongoing trade imbalances with China and Japan, the United States sold record exports to Mexico, reducing the trade deficit by $500 million.
E) Compared to ongoing trade imbalances with China and Japan, the United States sold record exports to Mexico, reducing the trade deficit by $500 million.
OA:A
虽然答案不是DE,但是ron说DE中compared with/to的逻辑主语是the US,因为the US和trade imbalances比较不对等,所以不对~但他没说comapred with/to放在句首不对~ 但是如你所说,从做的题目看起来GMAT可能更喜欢in contrast to/with吧(虽然不能作为split,但具有统计学意义~~)具体解释见下面网址~~
http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/gmatprep2-sentence-correction-question-need-help-t1848.html
发表于 2012-11-23 20:12:33 | 显示全部楼层

To my honest,

找到题目了~
In contrast to ongoing trade imbalances with China and Japan, the United States trade deficit with Mexico declined by $500 million as a result of record exports to that country.

A)In contrast to ongoing trade imbalances with China and Japan, the United States trade deficit with Mexico declined by $500 million as a result of record exports to that country.
B)In contrast to ongoing trade imbalances with China and Japan, the United States sold record exports to Mexico, reducing its trade deficit by $500 million.
C) When compared with ongoing trade imbalances with China and Japan, the United States sold record exports to Mexico, reducing their trade deficit by $500 million.
D) Compared with ongoing trade imbalances with China and Japan, the United States sold record exports to Mexico, reducing the trade deficit by $500 million.
E) Compared to ongoing trade imbalances with China and Japan, the United States sold record exports to Mexico, reducing the trade deficit by $500 million.
虽然答案不是DE,但是ron说DE中compared with/to的逻辑主语是the US,因为the US和trade imbalances比较不对等,所以不对~但他没说comapred with/to放在句首不对~ 但是如你所说,从做的题目看起来GMAT可能更喜欢in contrast to/with吧(虽然不能作为split,但具有统计学意义~~)具体解释见下面网址~~
http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/gmatprep2-sentence-correction-question-need-help-t1848.html
-- by 会员 yiqing2012 (2012/11/23 19:49:53)

oh. you are so cool

Big Thanks
发表于 2012-11-25 16:13:54 | 显示全部楼层
抱歉,之前讲compare with 和compare to 的区别有点错误。刚刚看了一个帖子如下,

Revise http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/in-california-today-t5783.html
in fact, there is absolutely no difference whatsoever between "compare to" and "compare with". they are exactly the same.

if you have our OLD edition strategy guides -- two or three editions old, at this point (2007 edition) -- you will notice some mistaken information in those guides. at one point, we thought we had found evidence that these two idioms are used in different ways; however, upon further investigation, we have actually found no evidence to substantiate any sort of difference between the two.
发表于 2012-12-5 21:15:52 | 显示全部楼层
那compared with/ to 可不可以 放在句首,是不是放句首肯定错啊??
 楼主| 发表于 2012-12-6 21:47:41 | 显示全部楼层
那compared with/ to 可不可以 放在句首,是不是放句首肯定错啊??
-- by 会员 xmy1026 (2012/12/5 21:15:52)

可以放在句首,但是需要注意逻辑主语~
发表于 2012-12-7 10:11:33 | 显示全部楼层

To my honest,

找到题目了~

-- by 会员 yiqing2012 (2012/11/23 19:49:53)

我不能评价ron的解释,但我可以说你的例子不能说明GMAT可能更喜欢in contrast to/with,因为这道题不是考比较形式的好坏的,而是考句子主体结构的。这道题只有A是最正确的答案,只是因为其他选项都没有谓语。
发表于 2014-3-31 20:22:00 | 显示全部楼层
kiwifoodtown 发表于 2012-12-7 10:11
Welcome.  Learn each other.To my honest, I can't find any  "compared to"   appe ...

...开什么玩笑哦...怎么可能BCDE都没有谓语...谓语是Sold啊.....

American sold ... to....
发表于 2014-4-2 09:04:20 | 显示全部楼层
gabrielpei 发表于 2014-3-31 20:22
...开什么玩笑哦...怎么可能BCDE都没有谓语...谓语是Sold啊.....

American sold ... to.... ...

玩笑???您先搞清楚 sold record exports是什么再来喷我,再说如果sold是谓语的话,这句话会是什么意思,想过吗?
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-3-29 01:02
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部