楼主: 麻集爱

gwd-12-11 偶碰到的一道难题

[复制链接]
发表于 2004-8-15 21:28:00 | 显示全部楼层
up
发表于 2004-8-16 03:18:00 | 显示全部楼层

我选C,C是划线部份的一个举例加强。

Q11:

In general, jobs are harder to get in times of economic recession because many businesses cut back operations. However, any future recessions in Vargonia will probably not reduce the availability of teaching jobs at government-funded schools.  This is because Vargonia has just introduced a legal requirement that education in government-funded schools be available, free of charge, to all Vargonian children regardless of the state of the economy, and that current student-teacher ratios not be exceeded.

Which of the following, if true, most strengthens the argument?

1. The current student-teacher ratio at Vargonia’s government-funded schools is higher than it was during the most recent period of economic recession.

2. During recent periods when the Vargonian economy has been strong, almost 25 percent of Vargonian children have attended privately funded schools, many of which charge substantial fees.

3. Nearly 20 percent more teachers are currently employed in Vargonia’s government-funded schools than had been employed in those schools in the period before the last economic recession.

4. Teachers in Vargonia’s government-funded schools are well paid relative to teachers in most privately funded schools in Vargonia, many of which rely heavily on part-time teachers.

5. During the last economic recession in Vargonia, the government permanently closed a number of the schools that it had funded.

认为C是划线部份的一个举例加强。

发表于 2004-8-16 06:49:00 | 显示全部楼层
Get it, thank you!
发表于 2004-8-16 07:32:00 | 显示全部楼层

我认为 c 是不对的

C.  Nearly 20 percent more teachers are currently employed in Vargonia’s government-funded schools than had been employed in

those schools in the period before the last economic recession

如果C是正确的,应变为 during the last economic recession, 讲before recession形不成对比,不能作为例子。

我觉得E 可以解释得通,上个萧条时期关闭了学校,说明教师和学生的数量减少,现在通过了法律既吸引了更多的学生又要保持老师学生的比率不变,所以-----〉增加老师

发表于 2004-8-17 00:25:00 | 显示全部楼层

I choose B.

I do not think A and C directly relates to the argument and conclusion here. If you say that we need to make additonal assumption for B to be right, A and C need more assumption. B will then beat A and C because the substantial fee closely relates to recession.

I do not see how A can be right. The high ratio in A can probably prove that the ratio will not be surpassed in case of recession. However, the argument is about whehter the availability of teaching position will be reduced. I do not see how the number of students will be affected by such high ratio in case of recession. Therefore I do not think availability of teacher will be affect. Please let me know if you think otherwise and pls explain.

The explanatin provided by those who picked C is incorrect. Past experience most of the time cannot be used to predict future event unless there is a direct corelation. In this case, the teaching positions are more than before is far from enough to say that the same pattern will repeat in the future. For example, can we say: It rains a lot last year. So it will rain a lot this year. No! Unless we are given a relationship: last year it rains a lot because of XX condition. This year the XX condition will repeat and therefore it will also rain a lot.

D is irrelevant. E is weakening.

发表于 2004-8-17 01:52:00 | 显示全部楼层

谢谢总教头指导.c确实是不对的。

发表于 2004-8-17 02:10:00 | 显示全部楼层

One thing I might not make clear is that this is a strengthen question. So a close correlation is not necessary. Only a correlation by common snese is necessary. But I still could not see the relationship by common sense in A and C.

Open to your comment.

发表于 2004-8-17 02:34:00 | 显示全部楼层
我同意总教头的解释,我选b现在。a需要原题中的assumption,c不是准确例子,b是common sense
发表于 2004-8-25 03:41:00 | 显示全部楼层
mindfree is mindfree!
发表于 2004-9-3 09:53:00 | 显示全部楼层
总教头讲的好清楚啊,我本来是选C,这下明白了,多谢。
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-4-18 20:26
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部