目标是名校 就不用多说了
尽管很难还是想试一试
主要希望是有Cover学费的项目
不想给家里添麻烦

希望大家可以给些建议和想法
以及努力的方向吧
谢谢!!!
发表于 2017-6-7 21:28:49 | 显示全部楼层
Looking good. Just trying to get some exposure of finance literature...start thinking about recommendations and intended working fields in PhD...
发表于 2017-6-8 00:08:07 | 显示全部楼层
Where is you RA experience?
How strong/weak is your math/econ background?
What is your interested subfield?
How is your coding skill?
 楼主| 发表于 2017-6-8 05:50:52 | 显示全部楼层
cheesechan 发表于 2017-6-8 00:08
What is your interested su ...

I have no RA experience in Graduate period but I do have back in my undergraduate school.
I think I'm not that talented in Math but I finished calculus, metrics as well as statistic. I'm better in statistic than other subjects or say that I'm interested in econometric. I've been a finance student since college so all the subject in this field was covered. But still, I don't think I have a particular sub-field that I'm mastered at and that's the reason for wishing to acquire a PhD in the future.
I learned Eviews, Stata, if that's what you were asking.
Thanks for the attention and looking forward to your suggestion.

楼主| 发表于 2017-6-8 05:55:03 | 显示全部楼层
cheesechan 发表于 2017-6-8 00:08
What is your interested su ...

And I just start to think about this recently. So please send me some information if you have any good source for me to get familiar with these programs. Thanks
发表于 2017-6-8 06:06:00 | 显示全部楼层
If you like econometrics, why do you choose finance?
 楼主| 发表于 2017-6-8 11:12:51 | 显示全部楼层
Miss.Unintended 发表于 2017-6-8 05:55
And I just start to think about this recently. So please send me some information if you have any  ...

because we don't have any major called econometric. Also, it's useful in Finance field.
发表于 2017-6-8 16:37:08 | 显示全部楼层
Miss.Unintended 发表于 2017-6-8 05:50
I have no RA experience in Graduate period but I do have back in my undergraduate school.
I think I'm not that talented in Math but I finished calculus, metrics as well as statistic. I'm better in statistic than other subjects or say that I'm interested in econometric. I've been a finance student since college so all the subject in this field was covered. But still, I don't think I have a particular sub-field that I'm mastered at and that's the reason for wishing to acquire a PhD in the future.
I learned Eviews, Stata, if that's what you were asking.

(agree with 目标是名校. 學術界競爭已經那麼激烈, 起點再低一點的之後就坎坷了)
Assumed field of interest: somewhere closed to Financial econometrics.

1a. Multivariate Calculus, linear algebra, calculus-based probability and stat, econometric 之類是人人都有的basic assumption, 就不用浪費時間提了.
We should spend the time talking about which advanced bachelor level / master level math/stat course one has taken.
Are there something that is missing? If it is just a bit, self-study. If it is really a lot, get a useful degree.
1b. and seems you forget to mention how your trainig in economics is.....that means sounds like only introductory UG level then......

2. "I don't think I have a particular sub-field that I'm mastered at and that's the reason for wishing to acquire a PhD in the future."
is a quite horrible reason for a personal statement, especially if the school ask you for a research proposal in the application.
You need something reasonable there.

3. Lack of RA experience in graduate school (i.e. US) put you in disadvantage while application.
Where can you get a good reference letter? the most common source are your thesis / dissertation supervisor, and someone you have worked with closely while study.

4. When people talk about coding, or programming, it is about scientific language. EViews, Stata don't count.
Even you didn't have any experience with OOP language like C++, it is a must to have some experience in MATLAB/R/similar scientific language for conducting empirical research (especially when you are interested in research related to econometrics)

5. Econometrics is under the Department of Economics for most of the case.

6. 正常來說, 除非某人是top of the class, bachelor / master 要上PhD的, 往往是要從第N流, 轉到第N+1 / N+2流的.
你現在去申請的話, 可能要有drop out of top 100的心理準備.

7. Econometrics is a methodlogy, which is very useful in finance.
When you are saying that you are interested in that, it can be either you are interested in using it to look into some question in finance, or interested in researching the methodlogy itself.
Any idea which side are you are more closed to?

你的目標, 和你的現況的gap很大 - 大概有一個solid bachelor in some quantitative discipline (而且不能是只是US top 100水平的大學) 之大.
除非你真的很有心搞研究(怎看也不像), 還是建議回國後努力找工作吧.

发表于 2017-6-9 00:32:51 | 显示全部楼层
Also, do you have a family? Would you like to relocate to a remote college town for 5 to 6 years?
发表于 2017-6-9 04:56:23 | 显示全部楼层
Doing research is very isolated. Do you think you will enjoy the process?
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

近期活动

正在浏览此版块的会员 ()

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-3-29 16:25
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部