打印 上一主题 下一主题

[实习就业] 求指点~拿到摩根的operation offer,非常迷茫!

[复制链接]
11#
 楼主| 发表于 2011-12-14 13:43:54 | 只看该作者
为啥大家都不喜欢干审计,是因为招的太多吗?
-- by 会员 niu1019 (2011/12/14 13:06:16)

哈哈,我是因为以前有过相关经历,发现自己对会计实在不感冒啊~
我认为如果真的喜欢这方面的工作,那四大算是个不错的平台,不要因为招的人多或是牛人不屑就鄙视人家,据说进四大几年后跳其他好公司财务的,或者出去申到top学校的人都有,所以看个人嘛~
12#
发表于 2011-12-14 17:14:54 | 只看该作者
申MBA的话就看你故事讲不讲的通了,如果你讲前台的故事就玄,如果你本身表现很好,又讲了一个如何希望升至后台老大的凄凉动人的故事,说不定就有戏了。啥背景申MBA都没问题。无非概率上前台大一点而已。
13#
发表于 2011-12-14 23:01:04 | 只看该作者
其实我觉得四大的工作挺好的,专业,基础扎实,版上每年有多少四大的才子才女们申请到top商学院!某种程度上来说,四大比Operation更接近你的career goal。不明白你为什么要把四大给拒了。不过我几年以前也犯过同样的傻。
14#
发表于 2011-12-15 00:11:36 | 只看该作者
i had intern experience @ UBS operation and some FT exp @ commercial bank operation. I hope I could give you some insight...

As an operation profession, you must ensure the transaction made at the front office to complete on time and accurately. For example, a fixed income sales brings back a swap contract with another bank (counterpart). Middle office guys (i.e. sales assistant) help booking the ticket filled with all the transaction information and check necessary information (i.e. trade limit, counterpart limit etc.. ). Then the completed ticket would send to operation (back office) for further step in order to complete the deal timely and accurately.

How to monitor and ensure the completeness of one transaction? 1) Check with counterpart on the information of the contract to confirm2) set instruction to ensure all the payments to be sent and receive at a timely manner: involving a lot of reporting and checking 3) chasing and answering inquiries from different parties...

i am not sure what kind of function you are in. This is one of the example in IB operation. In general, operation has to do the very best to support front office to complete transactions. It might sound boring to generate reports, check line by line or monitor closely the market to provide info to FO. But everyday you might encounter different kind of delinquencies and problems which need strong problem solving skills to be a successful operation professional.

Pros in IB operation:
1) many of my ex-colleagues are offered opportunities to rotate in different functions and locations (within operation). You can gain a good level of international exposure.
2) if you are the top ones, you could be offered PROJECT to streamlines the process or so. In IB front office, such kind of projects are rare.
3) you can still learn quite a lot on different financial products if you are eager to.

cons:
1) Long-hour work! (my ex-colleagues worked till 11pm or even 1am sometimes)
2) STRESSFUL! you are the one to support which means you have no say! front office just want to know when to complete but not how to complete. Who cares how difficult or complicated the process would take! you are the one to execute.
3) chance to move to front line? little... esp these few years. Middle office has much more direct contact with front office. operation only deal with operation and middle office.... but of course, everything is about timing and luck. A girl in my bank used most of her working time to mingle with sales head and went clubbing with sales guys. She got a sales position there within 6 months and moved to a better bank within a year~
15#
 楼主| 发表于 2012-1-1 21:37:22 | 只看该作者
其实我觉得四大的工作挺好的,专业,基础扎实,版上每年有多少四大的才子才女们申请到top商学院!某种程度上来说,四大比Operation更接近你的career goal。不明白你为什么要把四大给拒了。不过我几年以前也犯过同样的傻。
-- by 会员 bohrning (2011/12/14 23:01:04)

因为做过会计相关的东西,所以明确自己对这个不感冒,于是就拒了。其实我现在想清楚了,读MBA是船到桥头自然直,现在连自己喜欢和擅长的工作都不知道就想去更高的平台有点痴人说梦。我还没有career,更谈不上goal了,慢慢来吧,哈哈,谢谢回答!
16#
 楼主| 发表于 2012-1-1 21:40:45 | 只看该作者
i had intern experience @ UBS operation and some FT exp @ commercial bank operation. I hope I could give you some insight...

As an operation profession, you must ensure the transaction made at the front office to complete on time and accurately. For example, a fixed income sales brings back a swap contract with another bank (counterpart). Middle office guys (i.e. sales assistant) help booking the ticket filled with all the transaction information and check necessary information (i.e. trade limit, counterpart limit etc.. ). Then the completed ticket would send to operation (back office) for further step in order to complete the deal timely and accurately.

How to monitor and ensure the completeness of one transaction? 1) Check with counterpart on the information of the contract to confirm2) set instruction to ensure all the payments to be sent and receive at a timely manner: involving a lot of reporting and checking 3) chasing and answering inquiries from different parties...

i am not sure what kind of function you are in. This is one of the example in IB operation. In general, operation has to do the very best to support front office to complete transactions. It might sound boring to generate reports, check line by line or monitor closely the market to provide info to FO. But everyday you might encounter different kind of delinquencies and problems which need strong problem solving skills to be a successful operation professional.

Pros in IB operation:
1) many of my ex-colleagues are offered opportunities to rotate in different functions and locations (within operation). You can gain a good level of international exposure.
2) if you are the top ones, you could be offered PROJECT to streamlines the process or so. In IB front office, such kind of projects are rare.
3) you can still learn quite a lot on different financial products if you are eager to.

cons:
1) Long-hour work! (my ex-colleagues worked till 11pm or even 1am sometimes)
2) STRESSFUL! you are the one to support which means you have no say! front office just want to know when to complete but not how to complete. Who cares how difficult or complicated the process would take! you are the one to execute.
3) chance to move to front line? little... esp these few years. Middle office has much more direct contact with front office. operation only deal with operation and middle office.... but of course, everything is about timing and luck. A girl in my bank used most of her working time to mingle with sales head and went clubbing with sales guys. She got a sales position there within 6 months and moved to a better bank within a year~
-- by 会员 raiy (2011/12/15 0:11:36)

Thanks so much!
In fact, I am not that into FO. I want to maintain a work-life balance and have more lesuire time. So, I decide to try in operation and see whether I fit this kind of job and industry.
I am still young and oppportunities are ahead. I believe I can finally find what I want.
Thank you for your kind answer.
17#
发表于 2012-1-2 18:18:28 | 只看该作者
My team lead told me: the worst place to be is sell-side's middle office. bullying culture.
18#
发表于 2012-1-2 23:41:52 | 只看该作者
My team lead told me: the worst place to be is sell-side's middle office. bullying culture.
-- by 会员 gelukkig (2012/1/2 18:18:28)

that's true
19#
发表于 2012-1-3 01:32:47 | 只看该作者
读了mba去operation,个人觉得不值。operation需要用到的skillset比较狭窄,未来职业发展会受限。

我的两个做operation的朋友,一个做报销结算,一个做FX cash的结算。
20#
发表于 2012-1-7 12:19:35 | 只看该作者
不要去。转不了。个例永远是个例,还是不要太看重小概率事件。
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

近期活动

正在浏览此版块的会员 ()

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-5-10 01:28
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部