搜索
返回列表 发新帖
楼主: JonFrank
打印 上一主题 下一主题

[校友答疑] Ask Jon Frank- P69-Q&A:WHY MBA? 7 OVERLOOKED REASONS TO GET AN MBA

[复制链接]
楼主
发表于 2010-10-14 16:23:06 | 显示全部楼层
Hi Jon Frank, i assume you are a white male, American maybe. and i am curious why you think GMAT is soooo important?
http://forum.chasedream.com/North_American_MBA/thread-490501-1-1.html

Please see this post. some CDer challenged that.
沙发
发表于 2011-5-20 16:45:37 | 显示全部楼层
hi Jon!you are the most popular guy on this forum, even more popular than 2012man. What new tricks have you learnt? would you mind to share with us?
板凳
发表于 2011-5-23 13:41:33 | 显示全部楼层
hi Jon!you are the most popular guy on this forum, even more popular than 2012man. What new tricks have you learnt? would you mind to share with us?
-- by 会员 m1nt (2011/5/20 16:45:37)

Aw thanks for the kind words my friend.  Im not trying to compete with anyone though, or offer up any  tricks.  I just want to help people dude.  I could make more money going back into corporate real estate, and pursuing that life.  But instead, I have found that I am the happiest when here, helping people (from around the world!) get into the schools of their dreams, and achieving everything that they always wanted to.  For whatever reason, this is the thing that I am the best at.  I am just grateful that everyone here has been so generous and welcoming to me.  Thanks for the kind words, and good luck to you my friend.

Jon Frank

-- by 会员 JonFrank (2011/5/22 10:16:52)

Dear Jon, thanks for your "tricks"
does that bother you that you are so popular and girls are so passionate on this forum?
地板
发表于 2011-7-14 16:42:32 | 显示全部楼层
Hey Jon, I read your 'avoid career switch' advice over the career goal essay. To some extent, I agree with you, because such goals are risky and might negatively impact the employment report of the school.

But on the other side of the coin, Adcom wanna hire someone who possess the potential to achieve some exceptional success in future, say entrepreneurship, because such successes could gain fame and donations for the schools in future.

Furthermore, if I state that I will go back to my current industry, it will lead to another problem here. Take myself as an example, I am an auditor in big 4 accounting firms. I don't need a MBA to achieve the career progression in my firm. Then why MBA? And why now?

Hence, I think it's a dilemma, on one hand, we need practical goals, ideally just go back to our industry, on the other hand, we need to demonstrate our potential to achieve exceptional success in future? Does it mean we have to find a balance between the two sides? I would like to hear more from you over the topic?

In addition, I heard two voices over the long-term career goal.
One says the we have to be very specific about the detail of long-term goal to assess whether it's achievable and realizable. The short-term goal is not important comparing to the long-term one.
Another voice is that long-term goal is just a vision, no need to be very detail while the short-term goal plays a more important role.

I would like to hear your comments over the two voices. Thank you very much.
-- by 会员 Streeter2012 (2011/7/12 10:04:41)

It would be my pleasure to help my friend.  Other than a few strange bits of advice at the end of your message, all your points are very smart!  J  It is true, that schools want people who will make lots of money, and donate it back to the school.  But the people who will achieve this success, most often, will be realists.  eople who know what they are good at, people who spend time building a track record, and people who take smart steps to achieve their goals.  eople with a PROVEN record of success.  You need to be one of these people to get into bschool—no program (no great program) will admit you based on just a dream.  They want PROOF that you will succeed.

Now, in the case of accounting, you are correct—schools DON’T want you to go back into accounting.  It isn’t the most sexy business!  J But what is logical?  What is connected?  Well, banking for example.  Even Private Equity (although we do not recommend that as a path). But just for example’s sake, these are FINANCIAL in nature, unlike general management, consulting, etc.  It would be VERY hard to connect accounting to management consulting.  We have done it of course, successfully!  But it is HARD.

And finally, when it comes to goals, you need to be as specific as possible.  Short term, long term—the more research you have done, the more realistic you are—the more likely the adcom is to BELIEVE you, when you spell out your vision.  So get nice and specific, FOR SURE.  Anyone who tells you otherwise, well, shouldn’t be sharing opinions at all…

Hope this helps, and GOOD LUCK MY FRIEND!

Jon Frank
HBS 2005
-- by 会员 JonFrank (2011/7/13 9:37:45)

Very Impressive, can't agree more. Thanks for the advice.
-- by 会员 lakerfan123 (2011/7/14 16:39:25)

dude, you must be JF's fan, trying to kissssssssssssss his ass
LOL
5#
发表于 2012-8-10 20:25:09 | 显示全部楼层
hello, dude, i sent you 2 emails, not sure if you get, or you are not using the gmail account? how can i contact with you?
6#
发表于 2012-8-19 18:44:44 | 显示全部楼层
To m1nt :Hey there, feel free to send me e-mail at jfrank@mba2005.hbs.edu , looking forward to it man
-- by 会员 JonFrank (2012/8/13 21:41:13)

oh, ok
thought i was on your black name list, lol
7#
发表于 2012-8-24 14:09:52 | 显示全部楼层
To m1nt :Hey there, feel free to send me e-mail at jfrank@mba2005.hbs.edu , looking forward to it man
-- by 会员 JonFrank (2012/8/13 21:41:13)

oh, ok
thought i was on your black name list, lol
-- by 会员 m1nt (2012/8/19 18:44:44)

Hahaha, NEEEEVER my friend
-- by 会员 JonFrank (2012/8/20 18:41:15)

well, my "friend" i knew you got my email, you just didnt wanna reply
should have known that, and sorry, i dont think it is nice
8#
发表于 2013-7-17 19:07:25 | 显示全部楼层
hello Jon, Ken Ross asked me to say hi;)
9#
发表于 2013-12-21 13:03:03 | 显示全部楼层
dear Jon, thanks for alll the suggestions you and your team gave, you guys are awesome, gave me so many useful info and tips. those tips are valuable that i cant figure out by myself or find online.
should say almost saved my life, haha
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

近期活动

正在浏览此版块的会员 ()

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-5-4 15:55
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部