12下一页
返回列表 发新帖
查看: 26004|回复: 13

[推荐]推荐信相关问题总结04-01-08

[精华] [复制链接]
发表于 2004-1-8 01:51:00 | 显示全部楼层

[推荐]推荐信相关问题总结04-01-08

正在准备写推荐信,搜索了一下论坛的相关推荐信的内容,挑了一些出来,截至今天04年1月8日,希望对后来人有用,祝大家申请顺利

1. Have the applicant's responsibilities evolved over the time you have known him or her?

我的理解是在推荐人认识你的这段时间里, 你有没有得到提拔或工作岗位有变动

2. 推荐信是我自己写的(稍微有点夸大),让老板签的字,老板英语不好,他并不知我写的是什么,就签了字,不知学校是否调查。

我也是, 万一他们直接打电话联系推荐人, 发现能写出一长篇大论的推荐信的推荐人居然说起英语张口结舌, 会不会起疑心?

Facing such situation, I'd rather use a Chinese recommendation.  If necessary, an official translation is acceptable.

3. 问】chicago推荐信

请问对于以下要求,应该逐条的谈maturity/leadership...还是可以写一封推荐信涵盖各方面呢?

"On a separate sheet of paper, please describe the applicant’s level of maturity, leadership experience, professional competence, interpersonal skills, innovative contributions, and potential for career advancement."

应该都可以。但我倾向于归纳一起来写,涵盖各个方面会好一些:可以突出几个重点,顺便提及的几个方面也不至于显得内容太少而格外引人注目。

4. 我的推荐人告诉我在填表时,有的学校要求写reference group?难道对每一个表格的选择还要有具体的例子的说明吗?我看了那些问题,我的推荐人已经很辛苦了:(

谢谢!

reference group应该是指你的推荐人是在与哪些人群的比较基础上得出对你的评价的。

5. 开始准备推荐信了。推荐人提出填写太费劲了,尽管我给他发了如何用ACROBAT的帖子,但使用起来仍是极不方便。我有个想法:把这些东东拷贝到WORD里,基本上使用原来的格式,再填写内容,大家以为如何?而且,ACROBAT里的字体太小,打印出来后没法看。用word全解决了。

你还有什么更好的办法吗?

1, print them all.

2, give this paper-based letters to him/her.

3, let him/her write by hand.

4, you type them again and print them again.

5, let your recommender sign them.

of course, if you waive the right to know the content, I mean really waive, it is hard.

有教授写的推荐信的样本吗?

大多数学校都不需要教授的推荐信,我也没有准备。这回碰到一个,向xdjm们求助的说!

如果不方便跟贴的话,请用CD短信和我联系

Dear Addimissions Officer:

I am writing this letter to support the admission of Wenli Lee to the Harvard

Business School. I was Mr. Lee's teacher and advisor for several years between

1993 and 1995. We have met and talked several times since.

Mr. Lee's academic credentials are truly exceptional. He not only knows how to

reason with numbers, but how to render incisive and imaginative arguments in

English. Unlike most of the students I have taught from China(about 60 over

the past 20 years) Lee immersed himself in American culture. He composed a

joke as part of his first presentation analyzing a local plan. It worked.

His classmates laughed and I was witness to masterful culture spanning. Lee

came to us a confident individualist uniquely suited to cultural cross

fertilization. He earned straight A grades in all my classes. Whether

rendering a spread sheet analysis, crafting a graphic or writing a report,

Lee always demonstrated uncanny mastery combined with critical wit. While

many of the Chinese I have taught performed excellently in class, Lee alone

has composed essays and talks that met the sensibilities and tastes of

American classmates. Even more importantly he offered new ideas which they

(and myself) could comprehend and even assimilate.

Lee has a deep reservoir of talent and ambition. He has already accomplished

a great deal in the face of considerable challenge. He has worked hard bridging

the cultural gulf separating the Chinese and American ways of life, and

produced an impressive record for one who has enjoyed no special privilege.

Lee possesses and uses an easygoing manner and spirited conviviality to put

people at ease. He can make small talk, but quickly moves conversation toward

more challenging and interesting topics. Lee's group leadership combines small

"d" democracy, intelligent judgment and gentle persistence. He learned early

on the painful lessons of coercive collectivism, and has learned how to

anticipate and even tame adversarial relations. I have every confidence

that he will use these considerable skills to tackle organizational problems

on a larger scale.

While a student in our graduate program, Lee took a job helping recovering drug

addicts in the suburban community of Harvey. Harvey, an aging industrial suburb

with an impoverished African American population, does not usually attract the

interest and attention of foreign students from Asia. Lee swam against the strong

currents of racism and fear associated with minority neighborhoods. Furthermore,

he did so in a manner that added value to the community. Lee has labored for

the ABC Authority, a large public bureaucracy, and currently works as a private

marketing and research firm. This diversity of experience represents a crucial

resource for Lee. He does not simply take jobs, but weaves these experiences

together into a framework for understanding American institutions from the

inside out. Finally, Lee plays with Americans. He does not hide out in Chinatown

or the Chinese cultural center. He rock climbs and sails. He can tell hip from

hoopla.

Lee is smart. But more important he has acquired wisdom in the culture of both

China and the U.S. He wants to expand his considerable fund of wisdom and use

it to provide cultural scaffolding for commercial ties between the U.S. and

China. Lee's ambitions and abilities are in sync. He is poised and prepared

to take this next step in an exciting journey. Not only will faculty and

students thank you for admitting such a fine candidate, but so too will

those employees, customers and citizens who will benefit from his future

employ.

Sincerely,

David Smiths

Professor of ABC University

6. 在duke的recommandation form中,有一个这样的问题:

in what areas does the applicant need improvement or growth?

how would you describe the applicant's insight into these areas?

请各位指点,这个areas是指个人的专业、学术、知识方面的,还是指工作领域的?大家有什么好建议吗

这个可以是任何方面,包括知识,经验,性格,等等。我觉得比较好的可以是某方面的知识的缺陷,同时这些知识可以通过MBA来补充。]

7. Emory推荐信问题

请问下面两个问题的关系:我觉得most exceptional的应该是characteristics or attributes 中最突出的啊。那么怎么回答好呢?

* What characteristics or attributes best describe the applicant?

* In what area is the applicant most exceptional?

我觉得前者是指个性方面的:比如意志坚定、乐于助人等。

后者是指你的优势,比如:分析能力强、善于处理人际关系等。有些差异的。

8. Michigan recommendation question 2:

2. How do you see the applicant combining her/his current experience with Michigan's approach to management education noted above? Where do you see it taking her/him in five to ten years following graduation?

XDJM, how do you think the meaning of this sentence "Where do you see it taking her/him in five to ten years following graduation?"

Thanks!

你觉得他毕业5年之后能干到什么程度?

9. 推荐信提纲

我在帮我的推荐人准备一份"放之四海皆准"的推荐信: 我准备给他列个提纲, 涵盖大多数学校对推荐信的开放性问题, 之后再让他在表格上做量化评估.  不过,时间太紧了---我要赶在推荐人出差之前把提纲给他,可现在还来不及决定到底申哪几所...有没有哪位大侠总结过这样的提纲? 先谢了!

Abstracted from an  article, PLS as reference:

In what context and for how long have you known the applicant?  lease comment on the frequency of interaction.  lease give exact dates.  Is this person still employed by your organization?

In your answers, please describe specific activities or accomplishments that demonstrate this candidate's strengths and weaknesses.

1.  What are the applicant's principal strengths and special talents? / Provide a short list of adjectives that describe the applicant's strengths.

2.  Discuss the applicant's competence in his area of responsibility or specialization (i.e. organizational skills, attention to detail, ability to complete assignments).

3.  How does the applicant's performance compare with that of his or her peers?  How does he accept constructive criticism?  How has the applicant grown during his employment with you?

4.  Comment on the applicant's ability to work with others, including superiors, peers and subordinates.  Would you enjoy working for the applicant? / Please discuss observations you have made concerning the applicant's leadership abilities and group skills.

5.  Comment on the applicant's maturity.

6.  How would you describe the applicant's sense of humor?

7.  In what ways could the applicant improve professionally? / What aspect of the applicant would you most like to change? / In which areas could the applicant exhibit growth or improvement?  Has he worked on these areas?

8.  How well has the applicant made use of available opportunities?  Consider his initiative, curiosity and motivation.

9.  What do you think motivates the candidate's application to the MBA program?  Do you feel the applicant is realistic in his professional ambitions? / Has the applicant given careful consideration to his plans for entry into the MBA program? / Please comment on your impression of the applicant's capacity for graduate work.

10.  Comment on the applicant's business ethics.

11.  What is your overall assessment of the applicant's potential for success as an effective and inspiring upper-level manager?

12.  lease provide detailed comments on the applicant's degree of self-confidence.

Feel free to make additional statements concerning the applicant's accomplishments, managerial potential and other personal qualities. / Comments regarding the applicant's aptitude for graduate work and a career in business and management will be especially appreciated.

Don't try to address every issue on the page; instead, pick those that show you in the best light.  Start by writing a brief answer to each question.  Only after you have good replies should you worry about fitting them together into a coherent letter.

10. 问一个推荐信的翻译 

how long have u known the applicant and in what capacity?

什么叫in what capacity啊?

如果让推荐人写是否就是,这个小伙子还行 这类话吗?因为表格的地方不是太大,所以可能不用推荐人写得很多所以就问问大家应该如何填啊?谢

就是在什么程度上了解你,当然是对你越熟悉越好了。通常我都是用另外的信回答的,所以有足够的空间。

大家理解有偏差,“in what capacity”是指以什么身份/地位认识被推荐人的。

11. 大伙的推荐信是自己写还是让老板写?我有一篇是自己写的,推荐人机会没有做什么改动。一个在读的学生告诉我这样很危险。不知道大家都是怎么做的?

我是自己写的,让老板看一遍提点意见, 稍做改动后让他签字. 当然会email电子文档给他留存,以防学校check. 个人觉得这样不会有什么危险吧,因为这样的推荐信是建立在一种理解和沟通的基础上的

12. 以下是引用心静在2003-11-22 11:48:00的发言:

1. How long have you known the applicant and in what capacity?

问题:“in what capacity”是写推荐人对我的总体印象吗?

2。How thoroughly has the applicant thought out plans for MBA study and a management career?

问题:是只我对MBA的aspiration吗?

1. No, it's not about the recommender's overall image you, but how well the recommender knows you. The first part of the question asks how long the recommender knows you, but the number of years a person know you is useless unless more details are given, so the school can understand the degree your recommender knows you.

2. No, it's not asking about your aspiration, but the school asks the recommender

to evaluate how realistic your goals to get an MBA or a management career is.

13.   关于推荐信中的问题

一般问申请最需要提高的地方是什么?怎么回答好那?如果说管理经验不足好吗?还是更有技巧的说呢?

另外,领导技巧大家认为怎么样描述比较好?

比如说,缺乏某些方面的背景,比如marketing, finance,或者说过於注重high level的concept,有时候对於细节不够注意,这些是从别人那里看来的。

leadership的话,可以从某些方面举些具体的例子啊。

14. University of International Business and Economics

Beijing 100029, P. R. China

Sept. 28, 1998

Dear colleagues:

This is to recommend Ms. Shan Shan, a graduate from this university’s department of International Business Management, for acceptance into your MBA program.

I have known Ms. Shan as a resourceful and goal-oriented individual since 1990, when she attended a lecture I delivered, at which she asked perceptive and challenging questions. Although she did not officially take a course with me, she often consulted me on issues arising out of her studies. I therefore have come to know her well. I feel strongly that Ms. Shan’s unusual talents and abilities will stand her in good stead for a quality MBA education, which should serve as a major boost to her career.

While at this university, Ms. Shan was an outstanding student, boasting excellent performance in all subjects of her studies and demonstrating great potential. Her overall GPA ranked her among the top 3 in her class of 40 students. But Ms. Shan was no bookworm devoted exclusively to exams. She read extensively in subjects outside her major, particularly in business law, marketing, finance and journalism, all of which seemed to be fascinating to her. In recognition of her intellectual strengths, the department offered, at the time of her graduation, to accept her into its graduate without the normally mandatory examinations. She, however, turned down the offer. A highly independent woman, she already had her own agenda set. She wanted to obtain practical management experience first and then proceed to pursue a Master’s Degree in Business Administrative in your country. She apparently made the right decision, for she has since become one of our most successful graduates in her crop of students.

Ms. Shan is good at communicating in both oral and written English. Some of he most important undergraduate courses were taught by American professors, many of whom considered her oral English as native and her written English as standard. I am sure that she has since improved her English a lot more in her professional life.

In Ms. Shan, we all saw an optimistic and easy-going character. With highly unusual determination, she is not to be daunted by any difficulties. She believes that, with hard work, she can achieve anything she wants. I think her confidence in herself is well grounded in her track record, especially when considering the fact that she entered into this university as the daughter of a most impoverished family, but graduated as a top student.

Judging by what I know of her, I think Ms. Shan is fully qualified to pursue an MBA degree in your program. I therefore recommend her with enthusiasm. And I shall greatly appreciate if you can favorably consider her application for admission and financial aid.

Yours sincerely

15. Are you looking for a sample recommendation letter written by a Business School Professor? Here is an interesting sample recommendation letter, as it is written by someone who has a good understanding of what the reader of the recommendation letter wants.  

Here is a Sample Recommendation Letter  

=== Sample Recommendation Letter ===

As a business school faculty member myself, I always critique business school aspirants very closely. Though I am not attempting to second guess your admission criteria, I would like to tell you the method I use for evaluating a business school aspirant. It is with these criteria that I will evaluate Ajeet Khurana's candidature. This should remove the subjectivity of the recommendation letter process.

? Communication skills

? Leadership skills

? Academic performance

? Team dynamics

? Vision

For the purpose of this recommendation letter, the peer group that I am considering is: other top 20 US business school applicants.

Communication skills Ajeet Khurana's written communication skills are in the top 10% of his peer group. His spoken communication skills are in the top 1% of his peer group. I find him able to convince the listener of his point of view. When addressing a gathering of junior students, he is able to simplify his expression to ensure that he is unequivocal.

Leadership skills Ajeet Khurana has held several student body and association posts, as he has undoubtedly informed you in the other parts of his application. What I find particularly noteworthy is his ability to motivate others to volunteer. This is probably the best indicator of his leadership skills.

Academic performance Ajeet Khurana is in the top 25% of his class overall, and in the top 10% of the class for the subject that I teach. I find that he is able to grasp concepts rapidly and elucidate them with ease.

Team dynamics This is very much in line with the leadership skills observation that I made earlier. I find Ajeet Khurana to be easily accepted by group members. Usually he is nominated to be the group's representative too.

Vision Of all the parts of this recommendation letter, I think this one is the most outstanding when it comes to Ajeet Khurana. He is clearly a man with a vision. There have been occasions when he has made startling observations and predictions about the movement of the global economy. Naturally, only time will tell whether he was correct. However, his ability to correlate huge quantities of information and discern the underlying trends is indicative of his vision.

I have no doubt in my mind that Ajeet Khurana is suited for the business program at your university. I would like to whole heartedly and strongly recommend him.

Sincerely,

16. Example of Good Letter of Recommendation ===

I am writing this letter to introduce Ms Lisa Wayman. Lisa has worked as my assistant producer at CorpCom Publications. As a manager of business books, I work with four assistant producers. Hence, I find myself uniquely positioned to evaluate Lisa's performance in the past four years.

Lisa began work with CorpCom as a clerk. It was her indefatigable enthusiasm and hard work that won her a seat in the prestigious Production Internship program. This program recruits talent nationwide and also permits existing CorpCom employees to apply. Selection is highly competitive, with only one in eleven applicants making it through.

Post internship, it was apparent to HR that her current job function was unjustifiably low in responsibility and she was moved to marketing department. In the past four years, she has risen from Trainee to Coordinator to Assistant Producer. This in itself is an achievement.

The publishing business can be very tricky for producers. On the one hand they have to deal with authors and agents. Both of these are whimsical animals, authors all the more so. On the other, they have to deal with distributors and publicists. This calls for close monitoring and rapid feedback. Lisa has managed both ends of her responsibility with great ease and finesse.

Lisa always meets deadlines and has the highest level of integrity. If I have to recommend an area of improvement, I would say that she needs to be a bit less emotionally involved in her day to day job function. But, I guess that for a person as driven by excellence as Lisa, it is natural to be emotionally involved.

In conclusion, let me very strongly recommend Lisa for admission to your program. I am sure admitting her will be a good decision.

Sincerely,

17. 10 Tips for Recommenders

1. Review a copy of the applicant's personal statement or application essays so that your letter of recommendation can dovetail with--not conflict with or duplicate--the rest of the application.

2. Ask the applicant to supply you with additional information like a résumé.

3. Describe your qualifications for comparing the applicant to other applicants.

I have been teaching for twenty years and have advised approximately 450 students on independent research projects over the last five years.

I have personally supervised ten interns every summer for the last five years plus worked with over two hundred college graduates in my capacity as trainer for Big Bank Corp.

4. Discuss how well you know the applicant.

I was able to get to know Mr. Doe because he made it a point to attend two of my sections every week when only one was required.

Ms. Smith reported directly to me for two years prior to her well-deserved promotion to the position of Senior in our Big Six Accounting Firm.

5. Choose two to three qualities that you observed in the applicant.

Jane has a rare blend of top writing and interpersonal skills.

The combination of tenacity, analytical abilities, and good communications skills found in Mr. Doe is truly unique.

6. In discussing those qualities, support your statements with specific instances in which he or she demonstrated those attributes. Be as concrete and detailed as possible.

He is the only student I ever had who came to all my office hours as part of a relentless, and ultimately successful, drive to master financial theory. He was one of just ten percent in the class to receive an A.

Because of Jane's writing skills, I didn't hesitate to ask her to write a report which was used by our PAC as the basis for a major policy statement. Congressman X eventually used the statement, based on Jane's sophisticated 20-page analysis of Middle East politics, in lobbying for increased funding.

7. Try to quantify the student's strengths or rank him or her vis a vis other applicants that you have observed.

He was in the top 10% of his class.

She has the best analytical skills of any person her age that I have ever supervised.

8. Avoid generalities and platitudes.

9. Include some mild criticism, typically the flip-side of a strength.

The only fault I have encountered in him is his retiring nature. His modesty sometimes hides a young man of remarkable strength and broad interests.

Occasionally, her fortitude and persistence can turn into stubbornness, but usually her good nature and level-headedness prevail.

10. Discuss the applicant's potential in his or her chosen field.

I enthusiastically recommend Mr. Doe to your business school. This well-rounded student will be a fine businessperson.

With her exceptional leadership, writing, and quantitative skills, Ms. Smith will be an outstanding strategic consultant and a credit to the business school she attends.

18. [转帖]申请MBA如何写自荐信和推荐信

在申请就读海外商学院MBA的过程中,准备申请材料是一件颇费心思的事情。人在国内,学校在万里之外,申请者一般都没有面试的机会。你只能通过高质量的自荐信和推荐信来说明并展示自己的能力。如何才能让校方对你的材料另眼相看呢?

自荐信要脱颖而出  

一份好的自荐信应该包括以下八个方面的必要内容:

教育背景。你的大学专业是什么,你为何选择这个专业,多年来的专业学习学到了什么,与你选择工商管理研究有什么关系。

工作经历。你曾经担任过什么样的职务,这几年来的工作中有什么业绩、学到了什么,与你攻读MBA有什么关系。

社会活动组织能力。在大学期间曾经参与或组织过什么活动,曾担任什么样的工作,从中又学到了什么。

最满意的一次经历。最满意的一项工作或学习经历是什么,是怎样做好它的。  

最突出的才能。你认为自己最突出的方面是什么,如领导能力、组织能力、交流沟通能力或是协调能力。

学习计划和目的。你在攻读MBA期间的学习计划是什么,攻读MBA与你的职业追求、职业目标又有什么关联。

奖励。你曾经受过何种奖励,你是否担任过助教,你是否有优秀的论文曾经得到发表或受到奖励。

特长爱好。你其他需要向商学院说明或解释的,如你的特长和爱好,或者你在某一方面,如学习成绩不够理想,需要向商学院解释的。

同时,如果你不想让你的自荐信埋没在数百名甚至数千名申请者的资料堆中的话,还要特别注意以下四点提示:

不要忽视东西方文化的差异。中国人一向视“谦虚”为美德,即使取得了不错的成绩也要学会有所保留,而西方人不仅追求“优越”而且还要善于表达出来,所以申请者在写自荐信时一定要把自己的长处毫不隐瞒地描述出来,使人一眼就能知道你优秀的方面。

要富有个性。虽然很多申请留学MBA的人都有大致相同的经历,但实际上他们还是有很多区别的,如生活背景、学习和工作成绩、所掌握的技巧等,申请者应力求在自荐信中突出自己在某方面与众不同的成绩、能力和优点。避免给人以“千篇一律”、“平平庸庸”的感觉。

要真实。美国人对一个人的诚实品质看得很重。例如在签证时,你什么“失误”都可以,惟一不能做的就是对签证官撒谎,如果你是因为撒谎而被拒签的话,那么再签成功率将会很低。因为撒谎是人格问题。也正因为如此,美国人觉得个人签字比盖章更有效。为了保证申请者材料的真实性,商学院甚至要求申请者的每一份简历都有签字。所以申请者在准备自己的个人材料时一定要注意材料的真实性。

不要太短或太长。自荐信长短一般以1~2页为佳,太短了,无法表达清楚,而长篇大论,校方又厌于阅读。

在申请就读海外商学院MBA的过程中,准备申请材料是一件颇费心思的事情。人在国内,学校在万里之外,申请者一般都没有面试的机会。你只能通过高质量的自荐信和推荐信来说明并展示自己的能力。如何才能让院方对你的材料另眼相看呢?

推荐信要恰如其分

美国的商学院一般都要求申请者有2~3封推荐信,推荐信被认为是学校从多方面了解申请者的最有力的证明材料。一般来说,推荐信虽然不会产生十分神奇的作用,但对那些处于录与不录边缘的申请,却常有意想不到的效果。那么选择什么样的人写推荐信最合适呢?以下有三条原则可供参考:

一、 美国商学院最青睐的是那些与申请者有过密切关系,熟悉其领导能力、组织能力或学术水平的人写的推荐信。

推荐人必须站在客观的立场上评价你,千万不要选一个很有名却对你并不了解的人,因为商学院希望推荐人能提供具体细节。

二、 选择真正欣赏你的人,只有这样的人才会愿意花时间和精力为你写出一封好的推荐信。

如果一封推荐信写得潦草仓促或是充满了敷衍套话,将使录取委员会对你的印象大打折扣。

三、 选择能够说明你的关键品质和独特个性的人。他最好能就你的管理才能、智力水平、为人处事等某一方面做深入阐述,写出一封充满申请者独特个性的推荐信。

找八杆子打不着的人,反而让人觉得你的推荐信不可信。一般找自己的导师,系主任,熟悉你的教授、公司领导比较有效。当然,如果有一位公司直接主管、国际有名的教授能充任你的推荐人,你申请学校系科的主管教授又是这位知名教授的学生,或朋友,那这样的推荐信无疑十分有力。

你应该在计划递交申请材料的期限前三个月左右开始寻找推荐人。选好推荐人后,接下来要做的就是和他(她)坦诚地面谈一次,向他(她)解释清楚你需要什么样的帮助。告诉他(她)你想申请哪些学校,为什么选择那些学校。最好能向推荐人提供一份你的完整详细的简历,以方便写推荐信。如果你认为推荐者应就某几个方面作一下重点描述,应该提前准备一份书面材料,列举那些你认为你的推荐人可以着手的地方。

一封好的推荐信不仅要在评价方面有特色,更重要的是要有具体的事例作为佐证。许多申请者的推荐信都会犯一种致命错误,那就是其中都充满了“excellent”,“distinguished”, “ambitious”,“natural born leader”这样的顶级赞美之词,却没有具体的例子来支持这些“论点”。这样的推荐信不仅不能使商学院增加对申请者的了解,反而会让他们觉得无法对申请者有一个真实的认识。申请者在和写推荐信的人沟通时,尤其要注意这点。

一般说来,商学院寄来的申请材料中都附有推荐信表格。推荐人可按照表格逐项填写,如果遇到难以评价的项目可以写I don't know或unable to judge。如果没有既定的推荐信表格,推荐人可以自行按书信格式写。推荐信一般要包括以下内容:

1.被推荐人与推荐人的关系、认识时间;

2.被推荐人的长处和不足;

3.被推荐人在其群体中的素质比较,如领导潜能、成熟程度、智力、团队工作精神、沟通技巧、创造力、自信心以及动机。特别要注明被推荐人在这些方面在他所属的群体中位居百分之几内,例如在领导潜能方面你是全班20人里最拔尖的,或是最好的,10%以内的。

由于许多推荐人很忙或英文水平不高,不少申请者就自己草拟推荐信然后请推荐人签字。在这种情况下,申请者要特别注意推荐信是否犯有细节上的错误:如推荐人的口吻、几封推荐信的字体、字号、使用的纸张、信封雷同,这样的推荐信起不到丝毫的帮助作用,反而让人觉得这是抄袭之作。

总之,一封好的推荐信应该是行文流畅,信中有事实和分析,而不是一味空洞地吹捧。此外,千万要提醒你的推荐人及时完成,不要拖到你寄出申请材料之后。在这所有一切都完成之后,要记住向你的推荐人致谢,使他(她)对你的印象更完美。学校方面万一来函来电查对,你的推荐人对你的印象深,评价自然不会差。

20. 关于推荐信[转帖]

一、推荐人的选择

在准备申请材料时,申请人应当从战略上着眼,选择几位推荐人,请他们写信介绍申请人的表现。推荐人应能具体地写出申请人的优点,而且其观点最好能够与申请人的总体申请战略相吻合。

申请人最容易犯的毛病是不去找一位有深刻见解的人士而是找一位名人或校友为他写推荐信,以致内容平庸。其实招生负责人对名人并不感兴趣。所以,除非这位名人确实很了解申请人并能如实地描写申请人的表现,就不值得请他来写。与此相似,因为招生负责人是在探索一种客观依据,以确定申请人是否合格,所以申请人不要叫自己的亲戚朋友为自己些推荐信,除非他们能够按照专业标准清楚地对申请人进行评价。

建议申请人选择自己的监督人、教授、顾问或在社区活动中一起工作过的人作为推荐人。在有些情况下,自己的同事或下属也可以写出不错的推荐信,但只有在特殊情况下才这样作。 要注意,对每种申请不宜使用完全相同的推荐人。推荐人中至少应有一位能够介绍申请人的工作经历,而由其它推荐人提供补充信息。如果申请人在社区活动中表现突出, 也可以请一位曾经在社区一起工作过的人写推荐信。

如果学校特别注重领导能力或协同工作能力,可以请一位在能够这方面说明申请人的特长的人作为推荐人。但要注意,所请的推荐人必需对申请人最近的情况比较了解,而且所写内容要贴切申请人的专业目标。例如,申请人的中学篮球教练就可能不宜作为推荐人,除非申请人在近几年里一直和这位教练一起工作,而且这些工作能够充分显示申请人的能力和技巧。

如果学校要求提供学业推荐信,而申请人又不能提供,这时应设法找一位能够说明申请人智力情况的人作为推荐人,特别是申请人的学业记录不太突出时,更应如此。同样,如果学校要求申请人的雇主提供推荐信,这就可能会有些棘手,这时申请人可以另外找一位能够评说其管理才能的人。虽然推荐信并非申请成败的关键因素,但却能肯定申请人的优点,并且有时还能够帮助申请人克服申请中呈现出来的弱点。

如果申请人希望额外提交一份推荐信,一般是没有什么问题的。多数学校会将这封推荐信存入申请人的档案,申请人也不致因此而受到惩罚。但是,申请人应当附上一份说明,解释要求增加一份推荐信的理由,这样就不会被认为不守规定了。

二、请人写推荐信应注意的问题

在请人写推荐信时要遵循有两条原则:要早一些,要周到一些。

一旦申请人决定申请商业学校,就应当开始物色推荐人,并且让他们知到你可能请他们些写推荐信。这样可以给他们充分时间考虑如何去写。一旦他们同意,就应当适当提前把截至日期告诉他们,以免延误时间。时间越充分,推荐信就会写得越好。所谓“周到一些”就是让他们感到申请人对他们的意见很重视,而且如果他们答应推荐的话,申请人将会视为幸事。

要帮助他们了解申请人

为了使推荐人能够写出一封有说服力的高质量的信,申请人应当让推荐人对他的个人目标与学习目标有充分了解。明确地把申请该学科的原因告诉推荐人有一定好处。这可使他们在推荐信中强调说明申请人能够适应这一学科的理由。如果申请人要求推荐人为其申请补充一些专门内容,务必要向他说清楚,特别是当学校对这些内容感兴趣时,更应如此。

机密性

关于推荐信的最后一个问题是机密性问题。申请人需要决定是否放弃阅读为他所写的推荐信的权利。许多推荐人只写保密信件。除非申请人有严重的隐衷,一般应放弃这个权利。有些学校要求推荐信保密,所以要密切注意每个学校的要求。

三、要便于推荐人操作

申请人应事先将各种材料和信息组织好,尽量让推荐人在写信时方便一些。务必把所需的全部表格和说明备齐,并为每一封信备好一个贴好邮票、写好地址的信封。如果学校使用推荐表格,请找出在信笺的上部的信是否可以代替这个表格。大多数学校都接受信件,但也有许多学校要求推荐人说明表格中的一些专门问题并且要求推荐人把正式信函连同这份表格一起寄回。有些学校给推荐人提供一张确认卡,要求推荐人在回信时寄回。在申请人把信封交给推荐人时,务必注意地址与邮资正确无误。这些事情将会表明申请人办事态度认真并能使材料顺利地寄到学校。

除了所需的材料本身,在递交推荐信时最好附上一份申请人的背景材料书面摘要、一份最近的个人简历和申请短文。为了使他们记住申请人取得的成就的细节,他们过去所发的所有的书面反应复印件都可能有用。申请人应先把推荐表格或提出的问题阅读一遍,然后再把它们交给推荐人,这样可使申请人知到什么样的材料有用处。向推荐人提供申请人受雇的确切日期或专门课程的名称,可以避免他们耗费时间查找资料或者单纯依靠记忆出现差错。

在申请手续完全由申请人自己包办时,推荐人将会把推荐信装在一个密封的信封中返还给申请人,由申请人把它连同其余申请材料一起提交。这时,申请人应随时了解推荐人何时能够把信写好、是否都已完成。如果在临近申请截至日期时还缺一封信,就应当催促推荐人快些办理——但要注意礼貌,谨慎从事。如果有的推荐人曾经答应给写,但在截至日期已经逼近时尚未完成,而且即使在申请人事先通知他之后仍然不能完成,申请人可以向学校问明缺少一封信是否可以呈交申请。但是一般来说,材料(包括全部所需的推荐信)不齐是不予审阅的。在某些情况下,建议申请人最好另请别人写推荐信。

四、推荐人在推荐信中说些什么?

说明:一般商学院MBA申请材料中都有专门的推荐表,让推荐人就某些问题给出答案,或者为申请者打分。所以,不一定要采取信件的形式。(一家之言)

在许多情况下,商业学校要求推荐人填写证明表。下面就是在这些表中经常向推荐人问及的有关他们推荐的学生的一些问题。申请人在委托推荐人之前应对这些问题有所了解。

你(即写证明信者)与申请人认识多久,交往多深?

申请人的主要优缺点是什么?

说明申请人在其负责的领域内的能力

迄今为止,申请人成就是否可以作为其真实写照?请予以解释

申请人对工商管理专业的学习和今后的职业考虑的是否细致?

就下列能力与特点对申请人进行评定,记分等级分为:中下、中、良、优、极好。请指明所使用的证明组别。

* 分析能力和解决问题的技巧

* 与别人协同工作的能力

* 独立工作的能力

* 写作技巧

* 说话技巧

* 机动性

* 成熟程度

* 领导潜力

1. 转帖]申请MBA如何写自荐信和推荐信

在申请就读海外商学院MBA的过程中,准备申请材料是一件颇费心思的事情。人在国内,学校在万里之外,申请者一般都没有面试的机会。你只能通过高质量的自荐信和推荐信来说明并展示自己的能力。如何才能让校方对你的材料另眼相看呢?

自荐信要脱颖而出  

一份好的自荐信应该包括以下八个方面的必要内容:

教育背景。你的大学专业是什么,你为何选择这个专业,多年来的专业学习学到了什么,与你选择工商管理研究有什么关系。

工作经历。你曾经担任过什么样的职务,这几年来的工作中有什么业绩、学到了什么,与你攻读MBA有什么关系。

社会活动组织能力。在大学期间曾经参与或组织过什么活动,曾担任什么样的工作,从中又学到了什么。

最满意的一次经历。最满意的一项工作或学习经历是什么,是怎样做好它的。  

最突出的才能。你认为自己最突出的方面是什么,如领导能力、组织能力、交流沟通能力或是协调能力。

学习计划和目的。你在攻读MBA期间的学习计划是什么,攻读MBA与你的职业追求、职业目标又有什么关联。

奖励。你曾经受过何种奖励,你是否担任过助教,你是否有优秀的论文曾经得到发表或受到奖励。

特长爱好。你其他需要向商学院说明或解释的,如你的特长和爱好,或者你在某一方面,如学习成绩不够理想,需要向商学院解释的。

同时,如果你不想让你的自荐信埋没在数百名甚至数千名申请者的资料堆中的话,还要特别注意以下四点提示:

不要忽视东西方文化的差异。中国人一向视“谦虚”为美德,即使取得了不错的成绩也要学会有所保留,而西方人不仅追求“优越”而且还要善于表达出来,所以申请者在写自荐信时一定要把自己的长处毫不隐瞒地描述出来,使人一眼就能知道你优秀的方面。

要富有个性。虽然很多申请留学MBA的人都有大致相同的经历,但实际上他们还是有很多区别的,如生活背景、学习和工作成绩、所掌握的技巧等,申请者应力求在自荐信中突出自己在某方面与众不同的成绩、能力和优点。避免给人以“千篇一律”、“平平庸庸”的感觉。

要真实。美国人对一个人的诚实品质看得很重。例如在签证时,你什么“失误”都可以,惟一不能做的就是对签证官撒谎,如果你是因为撒谎而被拒签的话,那么再签成功率将会很低。因为撒谎是人格问题。也正因为如此,美国人觉得个人签字比盖章更有效。为了保证申请者材料的真实性,商学院甚至要求申请者的每一份简历都有签字。所以申请者在准备自己的个人材料时一定要注意材料的真实性。

不要太短或太长。自荐信长短一般以1~2页为佳,太短了,无法表达清楚,而长篇大论,校方又厌于阅读。

在申请就读海外商学院MBA的过程中,准备申请材料是一件颇费心思的事情。人在国内,学校在万里之外,申请者一般都没有面试的机会。你只能通过高质量的自荐信和推荐信来说明并展示自己的能力。如何才能让院方对你的材料另眼相看呢?

推荐信要恰如其分

美国的商学院一般都要求申请者有2~3封推荐信,推荐信被认为是学校从多方面了解申请者的最有力的证明材料。一般来说,推荐信虽然不会产生十分神奇的作用,但对那些处于录与不录边缘的申请,却常有意想不到的效果。那么选择什么样的人写推荐信最合适呢?以下有三条原则可供参考:

一、 美国商学院最青睐的是那些与申请者有过密切关系,熟悉其领导能力、组织能力或学术水平的人写的推荐信。

推荐人必须站在客观的立场上评价你,千万不要选一个很有名却对你并不了解的人,因为商学院希望推荐人能提供具体细节。

二、 选择真正欣赏你的人,只有这样的人才会愿意花时间和精力为你写出一封好的推荐信。

如果一封推荐信写得潦草仓促或是充满了敷衍套话,将使录取委员会对你的印象大打折扣。

三、 选择能够说明你的关键品质和独特个性的人。他最好能就你的管理才能、智力水平、为人处事等某一方面做深入阐述,写出一封充满申请者独特个性的推荐信。

找八杆子打不着的人,反而让人觉得你的推荐信不可信。一般找自己的导师,系主任,熟悉你的教授、公司领导比较有效。当然,如果有一位公司直接主管、国际有名的教授能充任你的推荐人,你申请学校系科的主管教授又是这位知名教授的学生,或朋友,那这样的推荐信无疑十分有力。

你应该在计划递交申请材料的期限前三个月左右开始寻找推荐人。选好推荐人后,接下来要做的就是和他(她)坦诚地面谈一次,向他(她)解释清楚你需要什么样的帮助。告诉他(她)你想申请哪些学校,为什么选择那些学校。最好能向推荐人提供一份你的完整详细的简历,以方便写推荐信。如果你认为推荐者应就某几个方面作一下重点描述,应该提前准备一份书面材料,列举那些你认为你的推荐人可以着手的地方。

一封好的推荐信不仅要在评价方面有特色,更重要的是要有具体的事例作为佐证。许多申请者的推荐信都会犯一种致命错误,那就是其中都充满了“excellent”,“distinguished”, “ambitious”,“natural born leader”这样的顶级赞美之词,却没有具体的例子来支持这些“论点”。这样的推荐信不仅不能使商学院增加对申请者的了解,反而会让他们觉得无法对申请者有一个真实的认识。申请者在和写推荐信的人沟通时,尤其要注意这点。

一般说来,商学院寄来的申请材料中都附有推荐信表格。推荐人可按照表格逐项填写,如果遇到难以评价的项目可以写I don't know或unable to judge。如果没有既定的推荐信表格,推荐人可以自行按书信格式写。推荐信一般要包括以下内容:

1.被推荐人与推荐人的关系、认识时间;

2.被推荐人的长处和不足;

3.被推荐人在其群体中的素质比较,如领导潜能、成熟程度、智力、团队工作精神、沟通技巧、创造力、自信心以及动机。特别要注明被推荐人在这些方面在他所属的群体中位居百分之几内,例如在领导潜能方面你是全班20人里最拔尖的,或是最好的,10%以内的。

由于许多推荐人很忙或英文水平不高,不少申请者就自己草拟推荐信然后请推荐人签字。在这种情况下,申请者要特别注意推荐信是否犯有细节上的错误:如推荐人的口吻、几封推荐信的字体、字号、使用的纸张、信封雷同,这样的推荐信起不到丝毫的帮助作用,反而让人觉得这是抄袭之作。

总之,一封好的推荐信应该是行文流畅,信中有事实和分析,而不是一味空洞地吹捧。此外,千万要提醒你的推荐人及时完成,不要拖到你寄出申请材料之后。在这所有一切都完成之后,要记住向你的推荐人致谢,使他(她)对你的印象更完美。学校方面万一来函来电查对,你的推荐人对你的印象深,评价自然不会差。

2. 关于推荐信

作者为俞淼,Chicago GSB 2002. Thanks to her.

Prospective Applicant Series VII - Recommendations

(WPENG, is this from you? I copied it from somewhere and compiled it into the series.)

Recommendations can be as important as essays. Good recommendations will support your essays and provide a fair valued assement from outsiders' perspectives. It is hard to manage this part as you can not tell your recommenders what should be written. Yet you still can do something.  

1. Check No. of Rec..

Check each school's application material to find out how many letter of Rec. needed and what kind of specific requirement about recommenders. Most schools require two Rec., one of which preferrably from your boss. NYU ask applicants to explain reasons if you can not get a rec. from your boss. Harvard requires 3 Rec.

2. Choose right recommenders.

Choose somebody who know you well, who have been working with you for a long time and who can provide personal insight into your character. Do not get one from the company's president, chairman, or Prime Minister etc. unless you really work closely with them. There is nothing wrong with those big names, but they don't really know you well and this will be showed in letter. One of common problems in letters written by big names is generalization without concrete instances. I suffered from that last year.

3. Discuss your personal details with ur recommenders. Attach a copy of your resume and a short summary addressing your strength and weakness, your achievements and your motivation of applying for b-schools with Rec. envelopes. This will provide additional info to your recommenders especially when your recommenders do not know you very well.

4. The ideal Rec. should be tailored to each school just as your essays do. However, it is unrealistic for your recommenders to write several different letters if you apply for more than one school. Suggest your recommenders write one very comprehensive letter of Rec. and tick grade boxes in each school's Rec. form.

5. Columbia's online application system allows your recommenders submit Rec. online or via email.

6. Finanly, do not forget to send a thank-you note to your recommenders after you receive Rec.

Please explain how the candidate interacted with you in seeking personal development.

这里的personal development 是指个人发展吗?如果是个人发展-personal development,而不是职业发展-professional development,那又与你的上司有什么关系呢?

谢谢!

attic, personal development is a general clause, including career development. Usually in big companies, they assign a career coach, or so called 'mentor', to each employee.  

So basically, 'personal development' can also invlude something not job related, such as you volunteer work, your personalities. But, most 'personal development' are career related I should say.

发表于 2004-1-8 03:18:00 | 显示全部楼层
非常谢谢!
发表于 2004-9-11 16:07:00 | 显示全部楼层

UP

发表于 2004-12-10 13:36:00 | 显示全部楼层
thanks and up
发表于 2010-9-1 16:54:28 | 显示全部楼层
好东西啊~
发表于 2010-11-7 01:29:09 | 显示全部楼层
非常有帮助!谢谢!
发表于 2013-5-7 22:38:26 | 显示全部楼层
好详细~~~谢谢啦
发表于 2013-5-21 03:14:26 | 显示全部楼层
非常感谢~~~~~
发表于 2017-1-25 23:30:12 | 显示全部楼层
albertjerry 发表于 2004-1-8 01:51
正在准备写推荐信,搜索了一下论坛的相关推荐信的内容,挑了一些出来,截至今天04年1月8日,希望对后来人有用, ...

看一下!               
发表于 2017-2-7 21:06:52 | 显示全部楼层
Mark一下!               
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

近期活动

正在浏览此版块的会员 ()

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-3-29 15:52
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部