返回列表 发新帖
楼主: gonghao
打印 上一主题 下一主题

分享BW上的我的有关Babson的帖子

[精华] [复制链接]
楼主
发表于 2006-6-1 11:01:00 | 只看该作者

分享BW上的我的有关Babson的帖子

由于之前在CD上看到不少的有关Babson的一些询问,我就心血来潮的去BW上开了帖子,以求得到suggestion from the world around,虽然回帖不多但总体来说质量还算不错,我从中选了几段,贴在这里以供大家参考。也方便大家不要去BW上如海的信息里去大海捞针了,希望对大家那个有用。(黄色的标记是一个从babson毕业的老鬼写的,还算中肯,大家可以参考)

-------------------------------------------------

me:

Is there angone on this forum can share your personal view of Babson?

such as advantages , disadvantages, career service , location , graduate employment situation , course and etc

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

wayman28:

It all depends on what you want to do and where you want to do it.

I caution you not to put too much stock into Babson's top 30 ranking in Businessweek or Babson's #1 rank for Entrepreneurship in US News.  They're a decent regional school at best (competition is tough in MA with HBS and MIT right around the corner) and don't have a real national reputation or brand name.  Their undergrad business program is excellent but it doesn't necessarily translate to their MBA program.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

me:

so  in  your opinion,Babson doesn't deserve the honour on the BW's passage.So what's your assessment on the career service from this school which had been describled very poor by some alumnis graduated from that school?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

wayman28:

I'm not saying that they don't deserve to be on BW's ranking.  I'm sure BW used some type of scientific approach to utilize their evaluation criteria.  So if the result is Babson being in the top 30 then that's what it means.

The career services there defintiely seems to be a big weakness.  If you consider that the customers of all B-schools are the student and the firms that recruit there, a school with poor career services isn't serving its customers.

Babson could be the right choice for some people depending on what your situation is.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IBMAN:

I graduated from the Babson MBA program, and I would say that in general you get out of a program what you put into it. That having been said, I think the quality level of Babson's student body is not quite as good as some of its closest competitors like Boston University and possibly even BC. One major differentiator is that they require experience and discount intelligence as an indicator for admission. They have been doing this for at least a decade, and you can see if you do a little homework that the placement figures don't confirm that this is the right strategy.

They are either not preparing students well or have a weak placement office which, if you look at the data, would have had to have been the case for at least a decade. So something they are doing isn't working on behalf of the students in spite of thier ability to perform well in some rankings. They may be #1 in entrepreneurship, but in the same raking, they just made it into the top 50 after years of not even making it in.

Babson is a good school, but has many weaknesses and disconnects that should be studied to ensure that they don't have a detrimental affect on your prospects, should you decide it is the school for you.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

padymba:

I had never heard of Babson until I met the CEO of Accenture who earned his MBA from there but apparently everything is possible in America.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GECKOBA:

Accenture: Green. Yeah, lots of success coming from Babson.

I agree with IB above that you get out of Babson what you put in, but I disagree whole-heartedly about Babson's student quality. Many of my classmates in the Babson program got into "top 5" programs... and I'd put them up against anyone. I considered accepting HBS or Tuck, but Babson was just a better fit.

I think that's what it really comes down to... Where you feel most comfortable. Sure there are people at Babson that don't pull their weight... but I can't believe that's not true everywhere. Babson probably does indeed have a higher standard deviation of quality in its students than HBS for example. In other words, you get people just as good or better at Babson, but there are also some folks who would not have made it through the HBS screening machine.

At HBS, and Tuck (to a lesser extent) you get a great quality education... but the experience is much about running a Fortune 500 business (this from friends going through the programs now, and my interviews and class visits...).

Babson, by and large, is about creating, founding, and growing startups. Just about everyone at Babson has an idea of what they want to start. It's pretty cool. Lots of inventiveness flying around... and it's ingrained into everything from Finance and Accounting, to Marketing, Statistics, Econ, and Strategy. People are starting everything from a new type of candle holder, to the latest in nano-tech. Babson definitely is the entrepreneurship school.

It's also very up and coming from a Strategy and Consulting perspective. They are building an awesome consulting curriculum... and Mckinsey, Monitor, PA Consulting, and many other top firms have added Babson to their select on campus yearly recruiting list.

Anyway... again, it's really a personal choice. Go where you feel comfortable. I'm not going to talk bad about any of the other Boston area schools... as I truly believe that they probably have strengths of their own that I may not know about. For me, Babson was definitely the right place. I got angel funding for my new business through the Entrepreneurship Intensity Track, and accepted 1 of several top 10 strategy consulting manager offers 6 months before graduation.

That, and I met many great friends all over the world (& drank lots of beer along the way).

This is all in my own opinion. Good luck you guys... find your spot.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GECKOBA:

gonghao,

I've heard very few people state that babson doesn't deserve to be in these rankings. In fact, it is widely believed in academic circles that these rankings are biased against entrepreneurship-focused schools (like MIT & especially Babson) because of their focus on salary and employment stats on exit. When many students start businesses in school, that school's average salary will be much lower than programs that send 80% to IB & Consulting. That's a fact... and that seriously affects the ranking stats. Babson is extremely well thought-of, and that will only increase with their soon-to-be-launched PhD in entrepreneurship...

Good luck. Go where you feel you "fit" - you'll be happy you did.

沙发
发表于 2006-6-1 16:19:00 | 只看该作者
板凳
发表于 2006-6-2 07:16:00 | 只看该作者
谢谢哟
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

近期活动

正在浏览此版块的会员 ()

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-4-27 06:31
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部