搜索
返回列表 发新帖
楼主: sean1255

Now real data of Ivey

[复制链接]
发表于 2006-5-21 09:43:00 | 显示全部楼层
看样子朋友要好好考虑一下再决定去不去了。
发表于 2006-5-21 22:54:00 | 显示全部楼层
LZ讲的应该是实话。加拿大很多MBA的情况都是这样。有些在Career Development的老师甚至直接跟学生说上网找工作命中率太低,要靠所谓networking才可以找到。但是对于大多数留学生和新移民来说,很难有可以帮着找到工作的networking。加拿大的就业市场很小,很难找到合适中国MBA学生的工作。除非计划念完回中国,否则加拿大的学校不是个好的选择。个人意见吧。
[此贴子已经被作者于2006-5-21 23:00:55编辑过]
发表于 2006-5-22 15:33:00 | 显示全部楼层
Ivey 怎么如此落魄?
 楼主| 发表于 2006-5-23 09:52:00 | 显示全部楼层

回复:(ppbb)Hi Sean,What's the news about yourse...

I did not find an intern. The reasons are: first, my background are international trading(import, export) and IT. In Canada, international trading is not a career path at all, and for the IT part, almost none IT companies recruited intern from Ivey this year. The majority of intern positions at Ivey this year are finance, consulting and a few marketing jobs, plus many non profit which I do not even consider as qualified intern positions for MBA students. Oh, the other reason might be marks, since Ivey's system, very very few chinese students can get good marks (class participation is worth at least 40-50%, and I might argue that this portion is kind of biased). Many say that marks are not important, but I think it is, especially as a student, a Chinese student. If you cannot get better marks than local students, what else do you have? For 2006 graduate, native students are doing much better, as far as I heard, many of them got job offers. But for Chinese students, things are different. And that again proves that marks are important. Because in Ivey, Chinese students are at the bottom marks. Of course, language would be another problem, if you get the interview opportunities. But if your marks are not good enough, you probably cannot even get interviews. Think as the employers going to the campus, well the background, most of the students are similar or at the same level, (if you really have solid, outstanding background, you might not go back to school, or you might go to top ones), then marks become an important judgement, since that reflects the level you are when you compete with other students in the same school at the same time.

发表于 2006-5-23 10:05:00 | 显示全部楼层

"my background are international trading(import, export) and IT. In Canada, international trading is not a career path at all"

You might want to think it bigger. "international trading(import, export)" could fall into the part of Supply Chain field. You could broaden your own trading experience and transfer it to the needs of some Canadian companies that outsource. Of course, if that's what you are interested in and your long term goal. If your family is not your concern, you may want to try some US opportunities.(You might want to contact some of your previous Chinese alumni to see who is in this field.)

Hope this helps, or your have figured out what you are going to do. Good luck!

楼主| 发表于 2006-5-25 13:09:00 | 显示全部楼层

My dear friend

Thanks for your advice. But only think bigger is not enough. Yes there were examples that guys with international trade background moved to supply chain, but that was not so easy. First, supply chain in Canada is not that attractive, and if you would like to move back to China, then you have to have experience + PMAC. Well, the PMAC certificate was not that easy to get...I mean not the exams, but the time and cost. It would easily cost you 20k to get the certificate, and would take a couple years.

楼主| 发表于 2006-5-25 13:19:00 | 显示全部楼层

In addition, going to the states is not that interesting too. You see, unless you are from Top 10, otherwise, it would be difficult to switch careers. And if I could not switch careers, going to the states would be pretty much the same. Yes there might be more opportunities, but there would be much more competitors --- think about the total MBA graduate in USA every year. And since Ivey is now a second class, why would employers in USA recruit students from Canada?

To me, I think the only way is to go back to China. Actually I think that would provide me the best opportunity in the long run. However, things changed. Now going back is not easy. Guess all guys studying MBA abroad would love to go back with a global pay offer. Actually I guess that most of the guys from Top 10 would go that path. So for us from second class schools, chances are slim. Sure there are still some positions paying 200k-300k RMB per year, but how could you justify the ROI based on that salary?

Anyway, I made my decision, although I made the decision without full information, thanks to many guys posting fancy stuff about Ivey. But I will find a way out for sure, because down the road, it is your heart that really matters.

发表于 2006-7-5 08:49:00 | 显示全部楼层
I believe all your words are true.
发表于 2006-8-28 23:28:00 | 显示全部楼层

success depends on more person than education, a same back ground can surely bring different ends

so come on guys, stop whining and make it happen

发表于 2007-2-16 10:26:00 | 显示全部楼层
up
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

近期活动

正在浏览此版块的会员 ()

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-3-29 05:57
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部