搜索
返回列表 发新帖
楼主: oldbigcat
打印 上一主题 下一主题

我为什么选KELLOGG放弃CHICAGO.

[精华] [复制链接]
11#
发表于 2006-2-17 02:22:00 | 只看该作者
There are a few discrepancies or misunderstandings I would like to comment on.

The method you used to calculate employment statistics is not quite correct. First, job acceptance does not equal to job offer. You should measure job offer rather than job acceptance. Second, dividing the number of job acceptance/offer by the total number of a class does not quite make sense as there are many students who don't look for a job and are not included in the number of job offer/acceptance. Among them there are joint program students (such as JD/MBA, MD/MBA), corporate-sponsored students and entrepreneurs.

Your diversity stats are not quite accurate. In GSB class of 2007, there are only a handful Chinese students who previously studied or worked in USA. Among them only two have engineering or computer background, including myself.

That being said, both are stellar schools and you really can't go wrong with either one. I am glad you made you final decision on Kellogg and I am sure you will have a good time there. Best of luck with your MBA education and future endeavors.

Disclaimer: I am a first year Chicago GSB student. Have a software engineering background. May or may not look for a job.
12#
 楼主| 发表于 2006-2-17 05:51:00 | 只看该作者
以下是引用mba2007在2006-2-17 2:22:00的发言:
There are a few discrepancies or misunderstandings I would like to comment on.

The method you used to calculate employment statistics is not quite correct. First, job acceptance does not equal to job offer. You should measure job offer rather than job acceptance. Second, dividing the number of job acceptance/offer by the total number of a class does not quite make sense as there are many students who don't look for a job and are not included in the number of job offer/acceptance. Among them there are joint program students (such as JD/MBA, MD/MBA), corporate-sponsored students and entrepreneurs.

Kellogg statistics

Chicago GSB

http://www.chicagogsb.edu/corp/hire/employmentreports/
Disagree.
1) The job acceptance is the only true measure for job oppotunities because it is mutual while job offer is not. Let me put it this way. When you graduate, I can give you an offer for 20K a year. Then you have an offer but you probably will not accept it because you do not sell yourself cheap. Only accpetance is real measure of the value for study because both sides agreed a student's value of service when the student accpet an offer but job offer is only from the employer side.
2) Both Kellogg and GSB calculate includes joint degree. Because GSB does not list how many students are from joint degree. It is impossible to remove it.
3) Kellogg does not disclose how many of its graduate is not looking for job. Hence the only comparable data is job acceptance/total graduate. I assume there is no particular reason to think GSB have a much higher percentage of students who do not look for job. Do you have one?
4) One extra point for Kellogg. The statistics for Kellogg did not mention the date of statistics but I take the best data for GSB(3 month after graduation). GSB is much worse if I uses data at graduation.

5) How many Chinese students are employed by Goldman Sach 2004 at GSB? Is there one? There is one in Kellogg for 2004. If GSB can not beat Kellogg in it own turf at Finance, why should I choose GSB?

Your diversity stats are not quite accurate. In GSB class of 2007, there are only a handful Chinese students who previously studied or worked in USA. Among them only two have engineering or computer background, including myself.

I personally asked the GSB students while I was in U of Chicago because I was interested in the program. It was the rough data 2 years ago. Also in your friend's post. He also mentioned it is about half/half.

I am holding no bad feeling about GSB. It is a great school. I know lots of student are dying to be accepted by GSB. My personal choice is Kellogg.

[此贴子已经被作者于2006-2-17 5:54:34编辑过]
13#
发表于 2006-2-17 10:07:00 | 只看该作者
Kellogg is a little be better
14#
发表于 2006-2-17 10:13:00 | 只看该作者
Hi, oldbigcat,

Congratulations on your application result!

Could you offer any information about how the
GSB
PT MBA students load jobs? I have heard that they CANNOT use on-campus
interview/career service (hope what I heard is wrong), then do they
load job by just throwing resumes on monster.com or use networking
already existed, and get NO help from GSB at all?

As far as I know, most people seeking MBA,
especially from technical side, are intended to either change industry
or change job-functions, which are conflict with employer's intention
in most case. It may seem reasonable that GSB denies the career service
for those who are paid by employers. But if paid all by the student
himself/herself, the GSB career service still denies their
opportunities, that will be bad. Is that true?

Hope you can give me some hints on these issues! Thanks a lot!

15#
发表于 2006-2-17 10:22:00 | 只看该作者

还是 Kellogg的人大度, 整个program 也非常 selective.  

Chicago的录取率太高了, 太容易进的话, 找工作不好也不是没有原因的.

16#
 楼主| 发表于 2006-2-18 00:28:00 | 只看该作者
以下是引用dtiger在2006-2-17 10:13:00的发言:
Hi, oldbigcat,

Congratulations on your application result!

Could you offer any information about how the
GSB
PT MBA students load jobs? I have heard that they CANNOT use on-campus
interview/career service (hope what I heard is wrong), then do they
load job by just throwing resumes on monster.com or use networking
already existed, and get NO help from GSB at all?

As far as I know, most people seeking MBA,
especially from technical side, are intended to either change industry
or change job-functions, which are conflict with employer's intention
in most case. It may seem reasonable that GSB denies the career service
for those who are paid by employers. But if paid all by the student
himself/herself, the GSB career service still denies their
opportunities, that will be bad. Is that true?

Hope you can give me some hints on these issues! Thanks a lot!

You will get help from GSB if your employer signed a disclaimer or you pay 100% of your tuition. I talked to at least 3 part time GSB alumni in Motorola. However, you can not use all career service for full time student. You can attend the on-campus job fair but not on-campus interview. I can not remeber clearly but there is definitely a big rule about it.  Since more than 70% percent job placement of GSB graduate are school facilitated, I see a big value in GSB's career service. If you have to do weekend program, Chicago is the only top 7 choice. If you can do part time, Kellogg is much better, offering same career service as full time. However, I have to warn you that Kellogg’ part time is probably twice as hard to get in as GSB’s. 2 out of 3 persons I talked to were denied by Kellogg and then applied GSB and admitted. Also, GSB has too much, in my own opinion, Chinese part-time students and everybody wants or has to focus on Finance. The competition is, therefore, very fierce.

Once big reason I do full time is for career service. Different people have different opinions. Part time reduces the study risk by drawing a paycheck while studying. However, you are paying it back by increasing your career placement risk. Wall street journal has a great article about part time vs full time program this year. It is published in the website. Hope it can help you to decide.

[此贴子已经被作者于2006-2-18 0:51:04编辑过]
17#
发表于 2006-2-18 03:33:00 | 只看该作者

老大猫:

贡献两大牛校同时录取!amire中。。。两个学校我都去过,风格的确大不相同。Kellogg校友很美

能否分析一下个人基本情况,给大家做个参照?

谢谢!

18#
发表于 2006-2-18 13:53:00 | 只看该作者
以下是引用duoladream在2006-2-18 3:33:00的发言:

老大猫:

贡献两大牛校同时录取!amire中。。。两个学校我都去过,风格的确大不相同。Kellogg校友很美

能否分析一下个人基本情况,给大家做个参照?

谢谢!

校友美还是校园美?

19#
发表于 2006-2-19 12:14:00 | 只看该作者
absolutely Kellogg is much better
20#
发表于 2006-3-4 03:46:00 | 只看该作者
以下是引用iampig123在2006-2-17 10:22:00的发言:

还是 Kellogg的人大度, 整个program 也非常 selective.  

Chicago的录取率太高了, 太容易进的话, 找工作不好也不是没有原因的.

why you thought the acceptance rate for chicago is high? given the number of chinese students admitted by chicago for the first round this year, i thought it is even smaller than that of wharton?

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

近期活动

正在浏览此版块的会员 ()

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-4-19 16:40
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部