返回列表 发新帖
查看: 2904|回复: 1
打印 上一主题 下一主题

AI120集思广益中参加讨论提高自己惠及他人

[复制链接]
楼主
发表于 2005-7-2 23:25:00 | 只看该作者

AI120集思广益中参加讨论提高自己惠及他人

120. “It makes little sense for people with strong technological skills to go to college if they know that they can earn a good salary without a college or university degree.”
Discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the opinion stated above. Support your views with reasons and/or examples from your own experience, observations, or reading.
1Admittedly, it really makes no sense for people with strong technological skills to go to college if they only want to make a living, since they can earn a good salary without a college or unversity degree.
2However, the university is not only a place for people to learn something to make a living. If so, that is meaningless to establish an university. Universtity is where we can learn not only knowledge, but also the approach to gain new knowledge and new skills that will benefit us all through our life.
3Moreover, one can not earn a good salary with only one kind of technology for a life long time nowadays. That is possible in the past, however, facing a so rapidly developing century, we can not expect to depend on one certain skill. Without improvement, without innovation, no one, even if the best technicist, can "survive". Universities provide us with exactly the efficient way to accquire new knowledge and skills.

沙发
发表于 2008-6-13 16:26:00 | 只看该作者

120. “It makes little sense for people with strong technological skills to go to college if they know that they can earn a good salary without a college or university degree.”

Discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the opinion stated above. Support your views with reasons and/or examples from your own experience, observations, or reading.

The issue of whether people with strong technological skills to go to college is very controversial. On the one hand, many people may claim that they ought to attend college still; on the other hand, others may think that it is not necessary for these skillful people to go further education. As far as I am concerned, I agree that it make little sense for proficient people to go to college. In the following discussion, I would like to present evidences to support my points of view.

First of all, nowadays technological skills are more important than college degrees. An employer would rather hire a person with proficiency in a particular line than a person learning impractical theories. Based on the professional technique, the former one will fit in the job quickly. On the contrary, the latter one will spend more time to combine the theory and practice and could not provide immediate support to the company. Recently, an investigation has been conducted by the economic departments, it shows that over ninety percent managers among the top hundred enterprises in my country employ a person depending on his skills, not degree. Thus my assertion is not a mere proverbial wisdom but a fact verified by the statistics.

Secondly, if people with a specialty do not go to college, they will have more time and liberty to engage in what they are interested. For example, Bill Gates entered Harvard in 1973 and dropped out two years later when he and Allen started the engine of Microsoft. They dedicated the time to developing computer systems and now Bill Gates becomes the richest man in the world. However, if he did not give up such a good opportunity to study in the world’s No.1 university, he would have no time to do the research on computer software and might be nobody at present. Therefore, a person with strong technological skills is not under the necessity of attending college.

In the third place, the quality of graduates lowers year by year. Compelling evidence shows us that new colleges and universities have mushroomed all over the country and consequently almost everyone could go to college. Without competition and selection, people who graduate from college are incapable of finishing a task independently. Hence, it is sagacious to conclude that a person will not improve through college education.

Admittedly, someone might argue that attending college could learn more extensive fields and make a lot of friends. To some degree, I agree that knowledge is infinite. Nevertheless, this alone does not constitute a sufficient support to the statement that it makes sense for specialized people to go to college. People could absorb knowledge more directly and meet friends from working.

In conclusion, this issue is complex, requiring subjective judgment. Due to the reasons discussed above, if skillful people could earn a good salary without a college degree, they do not have to attend college.

[此贴子已经被作者于2008-6-13 16:34:59编辑过]
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

IESE MBA
近期活动

正在浏览此版块的会员 ()

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-4-28 08:16
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部