返回列表 发新帖
查看: 4324|回复: 2
打印 上一主题 下一主题

Question about optional essay and round of application

[复制链接]
楼主
发表于 2004-11-6 02:08:00 | 只看该作者

Question about optional essay and round of application

想问一下,optional essay是最好写还是不写。我听一个很老道的朋友说,一般要写的话,都是解释一下你weak的方面,比如为什么gmat不高,GPA很低,工作了那么久或那么短......所以如果你没什么weak的话,最好不写。是这样么?

还有他说第一轮申请比第二轮更好,是这样的么?

请那位高手帮我指点一下!先谢啦!

沙发
发表于 2004-11-6 21:09:00 | 只看该作者

如果申请2005年入学的,那么多数学校第一轮已经结束,所以你的第二个问题已经没有意义了,比较认同的答案是,在你准备好的时候再申请,所以第一轮还是第二轮视你自己的情况。

第一个问题,我摘抄一些在CD上看到的文章的观点供参考:

------------------------------------------

(八)选择性的题目。许多学校利用选择性的题目给申请人一个机会,让他们加入一些无法包括在申请材料基本格式中的材料。例如:

What would you like for the Admissions Committee to know about you, that might not be apparent through the materials in your fi1e, before we make a decision? (Duke University's Fuqua School of Business)

What e1se would you like to share with the Admissions Committee that is not presented elsewhere in your application? If you feel that your credentials and application represent you fully,then do not feel obligated to write anything more. (Wharton)(Optional)

Is there any other information that you believe would be helpful to the Board in understanding you better and in considering your application? Please be concise. (Harvard)

申请者应该抓住这样的机会,抛开在申请过程中一直恪守的死板格式,充分展示自己,加深评审委员会对你的了解,扩大自己的录取机会。

需要提醒读者注意的是,写“任选”短文,不要局限在工作或学业领域内。因为这两方面的内容通常已经体现在申请材料的其他部分了。申请人应运用“任选”短文向评审委员会展示自己的另外一个侧面,突出自己的与众不同之处

--------------------------------------------

(4) Word Limits & the Optional Essay

Most schools are serious about their assigned essay lengths.  You can exceed the limits by 50 words or so, but 100 words is pushing it.  That's especially true at Harvard, where the essays are very short.

Also, writing a long diatribe for the optional essay (which usually goes something like, "Tell us anything else you think we should know.") is a sure way to tick your reader off.  I've heard a dozen admissions directors asked about the optional essay, and every one of them said the same thing: "Don't use it unless you have to.  And if you have to, then be brief."

The optional essay is not a forum for you to unload all of your insecurities about applying to B-school.  ("I'm sorry for my grades in college, but I was on drugs a lot and I didn't know what I was doing.")   Use it only to explain something that is important but that wasn't addressed elsewhere in the application.  

And the optional essay doesn't have to be about something negative (though it usually is).  If you are going to use it to explain sub-par grades, don't whine or make excuses.  Tell your story and then shut up.  

Even if your optional essay is going to be about something good, don't ramble on.  Be brief and to-the-point.

板凳
 楼主| 发表于 2004-11-7 21:02:00 | 只看该作者

thank you so much, mumuwa, for being so responsive!

your message is really helpful for my application. i know what you mean and see what i should do next. thank you again!

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

近期活动

正在浏览此版块的会员 ()

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-4-26 08:48
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部