楼主: yzyoung
打印 上一主题 下一主题

[校友答疑] UT-Austin MBA2010 Take Questions-Hook 'em Horns

[精华] [复制链接]
41#
 楼主| 发表于 2008-11-10 08:55:00 | 只看该作者
以下是引用sjdfjw在2008-11-8 18:23:00的发言:

UT Adcom的face-to-face面试有什么特别的吗?有没有些怪异的问题?谢谢。

我是校友面试的,没什么怪异问题.一般来说,学校会发给校友一个question list,校友会按照上面问一些问题,也会展开问其他问题.

Adcom面试的话,明天我问一下同学,谁是Adcom面试的,再给一个答案.

42#
 楼主| 发表于 2008-11-10 08:57:00 | 只看该作者
以下是引用wp1966在2008-11-8 20:27:00的发言:
UT-Austin的奖学金不需要另外申请?请问总得有标准吧?

这个就很难说了,学校是说根据Overall的background来评选,主要是GMAT,GPA,Essay,Career Performance.

43#
发表于 2008-11-10 10:36:00 | 只看该作者

挺好的学校 尤其在Corporate Finance方面 可惜没听说过奖学金。。。

44#
发表于 2008-11-11 05:50:00 | 只看该作者
以下是引用koko2009在2008-11-10 10:36:00的发言:

挺好的学校 尤其在Corporate Finance方面 可惜没听说过奖学金。。。

不只是Finance/ Energy Finance, Marketing, IT Management, Entrepreneurship都很好。Accounting就更不用说了,全美第一(当然不会有MBAaccountingconcentration)

经济不景气,捐助少了,奖学金自然也就少了。另一方面,申请的人多了,学校可选择的余地也大多了。

45#
发表于 2008-11-13 12:18:00 | 只看该作者
Just got an interview invitation and I've decided to interview locally with an alumnus--how much does the interview matter? And what's my odds of getting in? What questions are likely to be asked?  Thanks very much!
46#
发表于 2008-11-15 07:45:00 | 只看该作者

Alumni interview should be easy, as far as I know. Just relax and be yourself. However, be prepared for some tough questions, which might be asked when the interviewer is impressed by your stories and background but still wants to dig out your true value a little bit more, or when your way to deliver the stories seems over-prepared. Be prepared, but not over-prepared. The key is to know yourself and fit you in the school.

About the scholarship, I heard that the earlier you accept the admission offer, the more chance you will have the scholarship. My friend, an Indian student, lost the chance of scholarship simply because she accepted the offer right before the deadline, even though she is qualified. However, if you think you are qualified but don't get the scholarship, just try your best to prove how successful you are to the admission team. That's also how my friend finally earned her scholarship back. The maximum scholarship for international students is $20,000 for two years. No need to apply for scholarship; it's assigned.

Some thinking of my life at UT Austin:

Pros:

1. Strong reputation in accounting, corporate finance, IT, entrepreneurial, etc. Taking me as an example, I am accounting background. I can leverage UT-Austin's strength in accounting, even though I concentrate on corporate finance. I heard from some alumni working in investment banking that UT's MBA students had a great reputation in that investment bank's associates training program: one of the reasons is that they know everything about accounting and finance required on the job.

2. Approachable and knowledgeable faculties and staffs. Here are some examples: one night, I sent our marketing professor a question at midnight and I got the answer at 6:00 a.m. next morning; our accounting professor offers to have extra office hours and even at weekend, to answer students' questions. Our career service team is also very proactive and experienced. If I didn't remember wrong, UT-Austin's career service ranks the No. 1 in the country.

3. Various careers, academic and social opportunities and activities on campus. The only thing that will frustrate you is having no enough time! Time management is really an art!

Cons:

1. Location: if you are really interested in working on the Wall Street, say investment banking, it would be tough to study crazily here in Austin and travel frequently to New York to meet employers. It's also true even though you study in Chicago or anywhere outside New York.

2. Opportunities available for international students: only one-third on-campus recruiting opportunities available for international students. I am not sure whether it is also true for other B-schools. It's going to be even tougher this year for 1st year students to find summer intern and 2nd year students to find full time jobs. However, there are always ups and downs in the market. The only thing you can do and you should always do is to figure out what you want to do, what your are really good at, and find your niche! MBA application is just a start of all of the challenges you are going to tackle in the next 2-3 years and 5 years. By choosing MBA overseas, you choose a lifestyle and attitude to survive and thrive.

Good luck to everybody!

[此贴子已经被作者于2008-11-15 12:53:12编辑过]
47#
发表于 2008-11-16 16:19:00 | 只看该作者
以下是引用helenyu529在2008-11-15 7:45:00的发言:

Alumni interview should be easy, as far as I know. Just relax and be yourself. However, be prepared for some tough questions, which might be asked when the interviewer is impressed by your stories and background but still wants to dig out your true value a little bit more, or when your way to deliver the stories seems over-prepared. Be prepared, but not over-prepared. The key is to know yourself and fit you in the school.

About the scholarship, I heard that the earlier you accept the admission offer, the more chance you will have the scholarship. My friend, an Indian student, lost the chance of scholarship simply because she accepted the offer right before the deadline, even though she is qualified. However, if you think you are qualified but don't get the scholarship, just try your best to prove how successful you are to the admission team. That's also how my friend finally earned her scholarship back. The maximum scholarship for international students is $20,000 for two years. No need to apply for scholarship; it's assigned.

Some thinking of my life at UT Austin:

Pros:

1. Strong reputation in accounting, corporate finance, IT, entrepreneurial, etc. Taking me as an example, I am accounting background. I can leverage UT-Austin's strength in accounting, even though I concentrate on corporate finance. I heard from some alumni working in investment banking that UT's MBA students had a great reputation in that investment bank's associates training program: one of the reasons is that they know everything about accounting and finance required on the job.

2. Approachable and knowledgeable faculties and staffs. Here are some examples: one night, I sent our marketing professor a question at midnight and I got the answer at 6:00 a.m. next morning; our accounting professor offers to have extra office hours and even at weekend, to answer students' questions. Our career service team is also very proactive and experienced. If I didn't remember wrong, UT-Austin's career service ranks the No. 1 in the country.

3. Various careers, academic and social opportunities and activities on campus. The only thing that will frustrate you is having no enough time! Time management is really an art!

Cons:

1. Location: if you are really interested in working on the Wall Street, say investment banking, it would be tough to study crazily here in Austin and travel frequently to New York to meet employers. It's also true even though you study in Chicago or anywhere outside New York.

2. Opportunities available for international students: only one-third on-campus recruiting opportunities available for international students. I am not sure whether it is also true for other B-schools. It's going to be even tougher this year for 1st year students to find summer intern and 2nd year students to find full time jobs. However, there are always ups and downs in the market. The only thing you can do and you should always do is to figure out what you want to do, what your are really good at, and find your niche! MBA application is just a start of all of the challenges you are going to tackle in the next 2-3 years and 5 years. By choosing MBA overseas, you choose a lifestyle and attitude to survive and thrive.

Good luck to everybody!

Very insightful thoughts. Have a good time there. Hope to see you in Austin some day...

48#
 楼主| 发表于 2008-11-17 14:38:00 | 只看该作者
以下是引用filman在2008-11-16 16:19:00的发言:

Very insightful thoughts. Have a good time there. Hope to see you in Austin some day...

Good luck

49#
发表于 2008-12-3 13:54:00 | 只看该作者

Thanks, guys for your valuable information. I am cracking my package for McCombs. Just wanna know chance of my background:

Gmat:700, IBT: 103, Degree:Master from Tsinghua, Bachelor from Chongqing University.

Career: 2 years in Seoul, Korea for US-Korea joint project management company, top 1 here, global marketing

1 year in RIyadh, Saudi Arabia, for their government, to management mega project.

Extensive trip around Asia.

Language: Chinese, English, and Korean

I know McCombs has one concentration in real estate finance, which i prefer to focus. Would you guys give me some cents about

my prospect of application? Thank you very much.

[此贴子已经被作者于2008-12-3 14:06:08编辑过]
50#
 楼主| 发表于 2008-12-5 13:55:00 | 只看该作者

The real estate finance is quite strong in UT. If you want to apply for such concentration, there are many points you can write:

1. The team from McCombs won the National Real Estate Challenge this year. The school is quite proud of it. You can find more information in the following link:

http://blogs.mccombs.utexas.edu/mccombs-today/2008/11/mccombs-wins-national-real-estate-challenge/

2. There is a specific real estate fund run by MBA student. Although the real estate market in US is terrible, the real estate in Texas is still growing due to the strong economy in Texas. The fund will invest the real estate project and provide students practical experience. I know several freinds of mine have applied for this fund. This year, 40 MBA students will compete for the 8 positions in the fund. Actually, the fund is interviewing students right now.

3. Contact the students in admission commitee. I know several of them have real estate expereince. You can ask them specifc questions and show your interest. It will definitely add some points in your application.

For your background, it is really hard to tell. This year, there is huge increase in the applicants. If you feel your package is ready, the earlier you submit your application, the better. Hope this can be helpful to you and good luck!

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

近期活动

正在浏览此版块的会员 ()

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-5-5 17:58
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部