返回列表 发新帖
查看: 17280|回复: 17

[学校信息] 2010Brandeis主题帖

[精华] [复制链接]
发表于 2010-3-5 16:58:37 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
看到论坛上也有不少Brandeis IBS录取的TX,不管是MAIEF,MSF,还是MBA,大家都是校友~
开这个帖子是希望大家能够有个交流的平台,咱们众人拾柴火焰高,提前开始social啊
希望大家有关于学校的任何方面的信息和问题都可以放上来,大家讨论交流~

虽然我想申请了的同学肯定对学校基本情况很了解,但是理论来说,还是放上个官方介绍吧。(大多数同学可以直接略过了~)

Introduction
Characterized by academic excellence since its founding in 1948, Brandeis is one of the youngest private research universities, as well as the only nonsectarian Jewish-sponsored college or university in the country.

Named for the late Justice Louis Dembitz Brandeis of the U.S. Supreme Court, Brandeis University combines the faculty and resources of a world-class research institution with the intimacy and personal attention of a small liberal arts college.

For students, that means unsurpassed access — both in and out of the classroom — to a faculty renowned for groundbreaking research, scholarship and artistic output. At Brandeis, professors bring newly minted knowledge straight from the field or lab to the graduate and undergraduate classrooms.

Brandeis supports an innovative and exciting program of learning that emphasizes an interdisciplinary approach to knowledge and the solution of real-life problems. Undergraduates, from the very first year, enjoy leadership positions and research opportunities typically available only to upperclass and graduate students.

Located in Waltham, Mass., on 235 attractive suburban acres, Brandeis is in an ideal location just nine miles west of Boston.

Brandeis is ranked in the top tier of the nation's universities. Our graduates depart to pursue careers in a wide array of fields, and advanced studies in the nation's leading graduate and professional schools.

第一帖先这样,下一贴继续~
 楼主| 发表于 2010-3-5 17:00:29 | 显示全部楼层
国外网站对B家的评论,都是学生投票的结果,应该还是有些参考价值的。
总体评价一
Overall Grade: B(6.9)

Out of 90 Surveys
Education Quality 7.8, B+
Social Life 5.8, B-
Extracurricular Activities 7.5, B+
University Resource Use 7.3, B+
Surrounding City 6.9, B

总体评价二(大家可以比较着来看)
A-Academics

C+Athletics

BCampus Dining

B-Campus Housing

A-Campus Strictness

A-Computers

CDiversity

B-Drug Scene

BFacilities

C-Girls

DGreek Life

C+Guys

B+Health & Safety

B+Local Atmosphere

BNightlife

B+Off-Campus Dining

D-Off-Campus Housing

B-Parking

B+Transportation

D+Weather
 楼主| 发表于 2010-3-5 17:02:53 | 显示全部楼层
关于Brandeisoverall experience

It may seem like a lot of Brandeis students really hate their school, but deep down, most know they would not be happy anywhere else. Some students seem to be bitter when they first get to Brandeis because they are either here since it made financial sense—Brandeis is quite generous when it comes to financial aid allotment—or because Brandeis was their third or fourth choice, and they got rejected from the Ivies or NESCAC schools. But after a little time to get adjusted, that bitterness soon subsides. You must work to have a positive experience at Brandeis, more so than at a lot of other colleges. There are so many opportunities out there, but you need to be willing to put forth the effort to get the most out of them. If you sit in your room and do nothing, you will get nothing out of your experience at Brandeis. Students are very studious, but they are also very involved, so the best way to meet people and have fun is to join clubs and be active in them.

There is a stigma attached to Brandeis of not being a school that knows how to party, and certainly there are schools that do it better. The administration and faculty here sometimes seem to have the position that the cheapest way to do it is the best way. Parking, religious influence, and a shortage of “hot” students may be the other things that people complain about, but there are many ways to get around these and have a good time. And more often than not, Brandeis students find a way to do just that. Many students come in and have no clue what to expect, and many of them leave with memories that will last them a lifetime. Brandeis gets a bad reputation because of the homogenous population, but the students at Brandeis, though awkward, are friendly and welcoming, more so than at schools with a “hotter” or “cooler” student body. And the academics are starting to reach the level of the top schools in the country—Brandeis continues to be ranked among the top 30 schools in the nation in many academic polls. The University is constantly changing and improving, sometimes radically, which should inspire many new students to apply.
 楼主| 发表于 2010-3-5 17:05:11 | 显示全部楼层

Student Reviews(3.51)

Quotes touching on Education Quality(有很多,先上一篇,虽然是本科生的,但是我想是互通的)

I do not regret having attended this school, although I have not been entirely satisfied for the past 4 years. Overall, if you attend Brandeis, you will learn wonderful things: you will have the opportunity to take many extremely interesting classes in lots of different fields, meet bright peers and brilliant professors. You will get a high quality liberal arts education that will prepare you for almost any career, and will make you an intellectually curious person.

I guess the main problem I had with this Brandeis, however, is the very academically-intense culture, a mindset that is depressing and hard to deal with at times. Students are generally very serious about their work, but lack a sort of open-mindedness, or willingness to go out and explore. I thought that college was supposed to be a time of self-discovery, but most students here cloister themselves up in their rooms all the time to study. Although their devotion to learing demonstrates a maturity that most college students (especially freshman) have not developed, and that's a good thing, it also points to an immaturity in other ways, social ways.

At Brandeis, it's hard to avoid getting swept up by this very intense mindset, and I often remind other students that they are not living a life of misery and pain; they are not welfare mothers or prisoners of war. Many Brandeis students too often forget to lighten up and have fun.

Brandeis, like many exclusive academic instituitions, is an artificial world. It is (perceived to be) extremely safe, aesthetically nice, suburban, and most students do not work or have financial troubles. Many students come from fairly comfortable economic backgrounds, and there are many naive students. Socially, students form cliques (don't worry, you will find your own eventually), which are very hard to break out from once formed.

If you are a city person like me, you will feel extremely constrained by the almost-rural feel to the campus. Do not be fooled by the school's proximity to Boston. You will not get out much, and if you do, it will most likely be to go to the suburbanized Harvard Square.

Oh yes, another thing. Most Brandeis students have this complex that they are academically inferior to the people at the ivy's, so therefore, they spend their entire 4 years here trying to make the grades to get into Harvard Law/Med/Grad School. It's disconcerting. I wish they would just be happy being who they are—bright, but not geniuses. But then again I'd probably get flogged for that comment on this campus. Arrogance does abound.

So I will say that Brandeis life has had it's ups and downs. I've learned a lot, but at a cost. I think that Brandeis is one of those schools you appreciate having gone to from afar, as an alumnus or alumna, so as a senior I can reflect positively on these experiences. However, most students here would tell you that they're unhappy. Still, it's a good school and opportunities abound.

I do not regret having attended this school, although I have not been entirely satisfied for the past 4 years. Overall, if you attend Brandeis, you will learn wonderful things: you will have the opportunity to take many extremely interesting classes in lots of different fields, meet bright peers and brilliant professors. You will get a high quality liberal arts education that will prepare you for almost any career, and will make you an intellectually curious person.

I guess the main problem I had with this Brandeis, however, is the very academically-intense culture, a mindset that is depressing and hard to deal with at times. Students are generally very serious about their work, but lack a sort of open-mindedness, or willingness to go out and explore. I thought that college was supposed to be a time of self-discovery, but most students here cloister themselves up in their rooms all the time to study. Although their devotion to learing demonstrates a maturity that most college students (especially freshman) have not developed, and that's a good thing, it also points to an immaturity in other ways, social ways.

At Brandeis, it's hard to avoid getting swept up by this very intense mindset, and I often remind other students that they are not living a life of misery and pain; they are not welfare mothers or prisoners of war. Many Brandeis students too often forget to lighten up and have fun.

Brandeis, like many exclusive academic instituitions, is an artificial world. It is (perceived to be) extremely safe, aesthetically nice, suburban, and most students do not work or have financial troubles. Many students come from fairly comfortable economic backgrounds, and there are many naive students. Socially, students form cliques (don't worry, you will find your own eventually), which are very hard to break out from once formed.

If you are a city person like me, you will feel extremely constrained by the almost-rural feel to the campus. Do not be fooled by the school's proximity to Boston. You will not get out much, and if you do, it will most likely be to go to the suburbanized Harvard Square.

Oh yes, another thing. Most Brandeis students have this complex that they are academically inferior to the people at the ivy's, so therefore, they spend their entire 4 years here trying to make the grades to get into Harvard Law/Med/Grad School. It's disconcerting. I wish they would just be happy being who they are—bright, but not geniuses. But then again I'd probably get flogged for that comment on this campus. Arrogance does abound.

So I will say that Brandeis life has had it's ups and downs. I've learned a lot, but at a cost. I think that Brandeis is one of those schools you appreciate having gone to from afar, as an alumnus or alumna, so as a senior I can reflect positively on these experiences. However, most students here would tell you that they're unhappy. Still, it's a good school and opportunities abound.
 楼主| 发表于 2010-3-5 17:06:00 | 显示全部楼层

Student Reviews(3.52)

另一篇,这篇比较随意,讲的是比较生活的东西,大家随意看看就好(by female)
The Campus
- bad maintenance (huge potholes etc.)
-ugly (they brag about the castle but it's just tacky)
-very very hilly
Attractiveness of the Students
-males: short, pale, not too athletic overall. Yes there are definitely exceptions but they tend to be more difficult to find and/or taken.
-females: short, not many 'hot' girls'-but keep in mind i'm a girl so i'm not the best judge of these things
Weekend Life
-although the university doesn't officially recognize any greek life we still have some (4 frats and 2 sororities)
-there's usually something going on fri/sat night even if it's not always that much fun
-frat houses are really far off campus which is a big consideration considering the freezing weather
-things get broken up by 12/1 in the morning
-you meet new people for awhile but it's not a very big school so at a certain point you run into/recognize most of the people at the parties
Friends
-everybody is very nice and very open and friendly
-you won't feel intimidated by anyone
-not much of a sports scene/school spirit
-heavily jewish even if many people aren't religious
-you'll have great friends
-people can definitely be awkward though
Academics
-great choice of majors
-science majors are really tough
-generally small classes (even some lectures are only 40-50 people)
-mostly good professors Perceived Campus Safety: A+, Education Quality: F
发表于 2010-3-5 17:07:34 | 显示全部楼层
赶上直播了。。
强力支持!
 楼主| 发表于 2010-3-5 17:13:30 | 显示全部楼层
别光语言支持也~
行动行动~
 楼主| 发表于 2010-3-5 17:30:47 | 显示全部楼层
大家准备去那个Global Direction Program么?
发表于 2010-3-5 17:44:40 | 显示全部楼层
支持~~
话说那个program到底是啥时候= =
八月17不是周二么?
 楼主| 发表于 2010-3-5 19:17:10 | 显示全部楼层
就是周二到周末呗~~
我不想只是听人家讲~
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

Mark一下! 看一下! 顶楼主! 感谢分享! 快速回复:

近期活动

正在浏览此版块的会员 ()

手机版|ChaseDream|GMT+8, 2024-3-29 15:44
京公网安备11010202008513号 京ICP证101109号 京ICP备12012021号

ChaseDream 论坛

© 2003-2023 ChaseDream.com. All Rights Reserved.

返回顶部